PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the law/act/regulation... (RV Propane use)

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 12:09 PM
That stipulates it is law to close the propane tanks on an RV while in travel.

I know it's law on Ferries, as well as some bridges and tunnels.
But looking for the actual law that prohibits having your propane tanks open while driving.

It would be different for each province. I think in Manitoba it's law. But again, can't find anything definite.

*edit*: Okay, just found out. Sorry for the red herring...

Looks like there is none.

CompletelyNumb
04-11-2016, 12:34 PM
From the Canadian Propane Association: "In most provinces, it's law that all appliances and pilot lights must be turned off and cylinder valves closed while travelling."

Did you find which provinces?

Also found this: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/clear-part5-300.htm#sec51

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
From the Canadian Propane Association: "In most provinces, it's law that all appliances and pilot lights must be turned off and cylinder valves closed while travelling."

Did you find which provinces?

Also found this: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/clear-part5-300.htm#sec51
Yeah it further goes on to say "Check with your local provincial laws". Seems to be a generalized statement.

I haven't found any laws in Alberta or BC so far. I just saw a list that listed Manitoba as the only one where it's illegal..but again, just an arbitrary list. Haven't found the actual legislation.

Darell_n
04-11-2016, 01:25 PM
I think it may be under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods. Can't transport with any cylinders open, legally. That's why they make remote bottle openers for nitrous. :) I know if I'm caught at work driving with acetylene or nitro bottles with regulators on them its a healthy fine.

codetrap
04-11-2016, 01:28 PM

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
I think it may be under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods. Can't transport with any cylinders open, legally. That's why they make remote bottle openers for nitrous. :)

Just has to be transported in a proper, certified container for said goods. An RV propane system is stamped and certified that all it's components are up to CSA standards. Open or closed.

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
http://drivesmartbc.ca/rvs/operating-rvs-propane

I think Alberta its not illegal. I've done it. But honestly if the fridge is pre-cooled, it's not really necessary. It'll stay cold for quite some time.
Good points for a completely different conversation.

blownz
04-11-2016, 01:34 PM
I have always wondered this myself. Most people with travel trailers seem to turn their propane off while traveling, but I have never met someone with a motorhome that drives with it turned off.

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by blownz
I have always wondered this myself. Most people with travel trailers seem to turn their propane off while traveling, but I have never met someone with a motorhome that drives with it turned off.
Most of the RV people I know travel with the tanks open. On the RV forum, almost all do. It's just the odd safety fanatic that doesn't.

When we go camping, we load up the fridge from grocery shopping, turn on the propane and fridge, and head out. Usually by the time we get there, the beer is ice cold. After that it just never gets shut off until the trips over.

:dunno:

codetrap
04-11-2016, 01:40 PM

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
But, then you run into issues if you stop for gas. You have an open flame, in a fridge, at a gas pump... maybe not the best idea....

Either way, I did it a few times, and didn't really see the benefit.
Yeah, this seems to be the only clear infraction. (Although I don't know if you can actually get a ticket for it) You flick your bic while refueling...can the cops do anything?

Regardless....I also talk on my cel phone and get in and out of my vehicle repeatedly while filling up the tank. :eek:

Oh I also don't turn off my cel phone during airplane take-offs and landings, or in hospitals. I like to live on the edge! :devil:

OU812
04-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Yeah, this seems to be the only clear infraction. (Although I don't know if you can actually get a ticket for it) You flick your bic while refueling...can the cops do anything?

Regardless....I also talk on my cel phone and get in and out of my vehicle repeatedly while filling up the tank. :eek:

Oh I also don't turn off my cel phone during airplane take-offs and landings, or in hospitals. I like to live on the edge! :devil:

What status were they when you had your accident?

Not being an ass or anything more curious and what (if any) impact this would have had??

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by OU812

What status were they when you had your accident?

Not being an ass or anything more curious and what (if any) impact this would have had??
I had them open and fridge running. Interviewed by both the police as well as two adjusters from the insurance company. Asked me everything from who was wearing seatbelts, did I drink anything that day, was my wife on medication, were we all wearing seat belts, etc etc...no one was in the least interested about the status of the propane tanks.

The pressure of the house propane is around .39 PSI. As in you could cut a line and put a match to it and all you'd see is a small flame. The tanks themselves have safety valves. When both tanks finally went off from the fire, all that happened was a loud "PFFFFFFSHHHHT" and a flame shooting out the valve. But this was a good 10 minutes into the fire. So the propane really had no effect on the fire. Everything was engulfed by then.

Minimalist
04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
I drove a Westfalia for years, fridge turned on to keep the beers nice and cold for the end of the day. Never gave it a second thought unless we were taking the ferry from Vancouver Island. Now I see the issue and know perhaps I was lucky in not blowing up the thing.

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist
I drove a Westfalia for years, fridge turned on to keep the beers nice and cold for the end of the day. Never gave it a second thought unless we were taking the ferry from Vancouver Island. Now I see the issue and know perhaps I was lucky in not blowing up the thing.
I don't understand. What issue? How would anything "blow up"?
It's perfectly safe to travel with your tanks open and fridge running.
Hence why it's not illegal. Most RV'ers travel with the tanks open.

Minimalist
04-11-2016, 05:37 PM

I don't understand. What issue? How would anything "blow up"?
It's perfectly safe to travel with your tanks open and fridge running.
Hence why it's not illegal. Most RV'ers travel with the tanks open.

Flame + gas + potential leak = No Issue? Hey I'm not the guy that had a vehicle on fire and was very lucky to get out uninjured. I'd think you'd be fire adverse. What do I know about fire other than it hurts like hell.

C_Dave45
04-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist

Flame + gas + potential leak = No Issue? Hey I'm not the guy that had a vehicle on fire and was very lucky to get out uninjured. What do I know about fire other than it hurts like hell.
First off...my fire had nothing to do with the tanks being open. Nothing.

Secondly...You think travelling at 120 kmh with over 100 litres of gasoline, travelling through 20 feet of 1/4" line, through multiple fittings and elbows, at 7 PSI's is somehow any safer??

:dunno:

If you have a faulty propane system in your RV, traveling at speed would be the best way to mitigate any danger. Parked amongst trees and fellow campers, where that leak can pool and sit, while an open flame is continually burning...now THAT's where your danger is.
Not traveling.

Thaco
04-11-2016, 06:45 PM
I also run the fridge while driving to my destination, its very common practice... also, regulators... they are designed to cripple the flow if they detect a leak when you turn the tanks on, so any leak would prevent the fridge from lighting anyway... so it'd never be an issue unless somehow your line gets compromised after you open the tanks, and presumably while driving... if this were an issue i don't think they'd run the lines on the bottom of the trailer where its "exposed"

OU812
04-11-2016, 09:51 PM

The pressure of the house propane is around .39 PSI. As in you could cut a line and put a match to it and all you'd see is a small flame.

never knew that.....thnx.

CompletelyNumb
04-11-2016, 10:31 PM
I've found a number of sites that state it's "law" in their respective province to shut the valves, but I can't find that correlated in any official transport law. In fact the only real official document I can find is the one I posted from TDG regs.

Seems akin to the "Can't change lanes in an intersection" law that is so heavily debated.

OU812
04-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Im not 100% but think it may be in Bill 149 CSA.