PDA

View Full Version : Compact car

nismodrifter
04-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Curious as to what yall think is interesting in this market.

Nissan Micra caught my attention, manual, cheap, etc.

Can any Fit owners chime in and let me know what are pros/cons of their vehicles?

While I'm on my SUV hunt also hunting for a daily driver that I don't have to worry about. Budget is about 10g. Power windows + locks are a must. Would prefer manual trans. Any suggestions as to what I can hunt for in this market? Would prefer 2-3 years old, just off warranty, don't think I want new.

88CRX
04-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Girlfriend just bought a 2012 Honda Fit Sport and I like bombing around town in it. Its an auto, but the sport models come in a stick shift as well. Its not fast but its decently fun to get revving. Its also super easy to park, has good visibility, blah blah blah.

The sport model gets you a nicer from bumper, fog lights, rear wing, 16" alloys (oh yea!) and some other small stuff. $10k budget might be pushing it but might be able to track something down.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/88crx/IMG_0272_zpsfk2kqxrn.jpg

I think the Fit looks 100x better than the Micra but I'm also a fanboy :dunno:

nismodrifter
04-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Its not fast but its decently fun to get revving. Its also super easy to park, has good visibility, blah blah blah.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Fun to bomb around in simply.

Really not looking to go over 12g, because in that case I am just going to go the next step and get a luxo sedan.

Actually was thinking about your Civic the other day, love that thing. Let me know if you want to sell.

If any members work at a dealership that may have something that fits the bill please contact me via PM.

I am looking to purchase within the next week

HiTempguy1
04-12-2016, 10:41 AM
My buddies wife has a 2009 Hyundai Accent. It's perfectly acceptable as a beater mobile, and it's really not even bad enough to use the moniker "penalty box". Surprisingly peppy even with the auto, it can haul 3 adults around no problem. You should be able to get a "fully loaded" one for a good price. The even newer models (I think available starting 2012?) should be even better.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/hitempguy/10366066_10154537487620038_3037255398092085928_n_zpsc29sw068.jpg

revelations
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Fit or Yaris (HB) are the ultimate "smart" city cars - hands down.

Cheap to own, buy, insure and maintain and have as much useable room as small SUVs.

Much better handling in the winters as well (vs trying to tell 4 tons of steel which way to go/stop).

88CRX
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Actually was thinking about your Civic the other day, love that thing. Let me know if you want to sell.

Want it with the 18k springs, bucket seats, 4 points harnesses and the cage? Perfect daily :rofl:

nismodrifter
04-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Want it with the 18k springs, bucket seats, 4 points harnesses and the cage? Perfect daily :rofl:

Yes. Lol.

jwslam
04-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Not "compact" & a bit older than you said.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/397862/fs-2009-accord-v6-6spd/
I own an i4m5 of these which I love. Mine's lowered and takes ramps like a champ (or maybe I've just never driven a "real" car :rofl: )

Hallowed_point
04-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Want it with the 18k springs, bucket seats, 4 points harnesses and the cage? Perfect daily :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ExtremeSi
04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Try a Fit. I drove one for a while and it does everything it's suppose to do well. Not a lot of power obviously, but it is fun to rev like most Hondas. Handling was tight too.

Sugarphreak
04-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Hallowed_point
04-12-2016, 12:43 PM
My dad is picking up a fit sport in the next couple of days. I suspect that he will love it.

jwslam
04-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
My buddies wife
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
What? No... just no...
But he didn't even post pix yet. :rofl:

gogreen
04-12-2016, 01:01 PM
I have a 2014 Fit Sport that I bought new. I test drove a Micra when they first came out and wasn't overly impressed. The rated fuel economy wasn't great, especially considering its size, and the automatic transmission seemed to make it really sluggish (would have liked to test drive a manual but didn't get that opportunity). I did like the look of the more well-optioned Micra with the nice alloy wheels but the Fit is much roomier while still being compact, and has way more cargo space. To be fair though, Nissan's direct competition for the Fit would be the Versa.

My pros for the Fit are low maintenance costs, excellent cargo space and versatility, seating space in the back that's actually usable for adults, rear doors that open to 90 degrees, sharp handling, and a smooth-shifting 5 speed. I liked the seats in the Fit much better than the Versa, and the Fit Sport has the leather-wrapped steering wheel from the Civic Si. The Sport also has heated power mirrors, power windows and locks, and the heater works surprisingly well (which was something I was concerned about initially).

Cons for me are the lack of a temperature gauge (just has hot and cold warning lights), and the sloping A-pillar that can obstruct visibility to the front corners. That may be due to my seating position though (I'm 6' and like a fair amount of leg room). Also, the paint is really thin but that seems fairly typical in this segment, the Fit costs a little more than the competition, and a little more power would be helpful for getting up to speed on the highway (though the manual helps in that respect).

ExtraSlow
04-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Still loving my 2010 Honda fit. Car actually has some balls on the highway, which is pretty rare in such a little vehicle. A step up from most smaller cars in quality and refinement.

HiTempguy1
04-12-2016, 01:24 PM

What? No... just no...

Dunno why you are so against them? Are they perfect? No way. But they will be way under OP's budget which is something to keep in mind. Was just a suggestion, I would prefer one over a Micra/Mirage/Spark :dunno:

The fits, as noticed, are super expensive. I personally wouldn't pay that kind of money for a "beater".

nismodrifter
04-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Well. Will try and book a longer lunch hour tomorrow and test drive a Fit.

Again, if nothing can be found in this segment then up we go. Not a huge deal. Would be great to find something cheap that I just drive to work, and back, with groceries etc.

guessboi
04-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Yes go with a Fit!
Best compact car IMO. Is small but big in the inside.

freshprince1
04-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Ford Fiesta ST...fantastic little car. Economical and faaaaast. Resale will be good because it was a Car & Driver best pic....and Ken Block drives one (sort of)...so all the punk kids will want to buy it off you when you're done.

btimbit
04-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Fiesta or Fit, for sure. Anything else is a step below either of those

nismodrifter
04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Any honda dealer fellows here? PM me if you have a cheap FIT on the lot.

Disoblige
04-12-2016, 03:49 PM
2007/2008 GD3 Fit... built in Japan, reliable and more fun to drive than the GE8
But resale wise, way better to go with the GE8.