PDA

View Full Version : Health Care in the Dominucan Republic

KD_89
04-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Does anyone have any knowledge about the health care system in the Dominican Republic, for DR residents (born and raised)?
A Canadian family friend is trying to raise money for her boyfriend -a DR resident- that allegedly has stomach cancer.
She's being very elusive with the details about him, his condition, and his treatments, only that he is unable to pay for his treatments and needs funding.

lasimmon
04-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Needs money and won't provide details?

I smell something fishy.

KD_89
04-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I smell something fishy.

I thought so too. Has a GofundMe with a 40k goal, and has literally no information. Just two of her facebook profile pictures of herself and him..

ExtraSlow
04-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I smell something fishy. +1000

n1zm0
04-13-2016, 10:15 AM
iirc, healthcare system in the DR is like the US, need insurance or $$$ upfront. But take into account the cost of living there and wages, how much they pay for a surgical procedure might be dirt cheap to us in our currency but to them it's equivalent to what the Americans have to pay sans-insurance/benefits for some surgeries.

The lack of info is definitely a bit shady though.

CompletelyNumb
04-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Healthcare down there is free for low income earners (under 4k RD, or $112 monthly). Everyone else needs insurance or has to pay cash. Services are cheaper than the US, according to one expat site you can get a full hip replacement for $7k.

shakalaka
04-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Regardless of the health care system, someone asking for money without even wanting to provide any details...feels like a scam to me. Even if it might be legit.