PDA

View Full Version : Van Experts - 1989 Westfalia

BavarianBeast
04-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Hey All,

I am looking at buying a coworkers 1989 VW Westfalia Vanagon. He has owned it since new in 1989. The thing is insanely good condition with everything working. I think it would be awesome to take camping and other small road trips. It only has 150,000km on the clock.

I am just curious what a reasonable price is for these? Are parts readily available? Fairly easy to maintain?

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
BB

sputnik
04-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Those things have a relatively high resale value, especially if they are diesel models.

It is not uncommon for people to spend $20-30k for a minty one.

EDIT: Here is a site to get an idea of the value of these things.

http://westfaliasforsale.com/

roopi
04-13-2016, 03:48 PM
So hip of you.

BavarianBeast
04-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks Sputnik.

Originally posted by roopi
So hip of you.

Haha, indeed. I certainly don't fit the stereotype that would drive or go looking for one of these.

It's really more of an investment for me. He is letting it go for very little, and he's maintained it so bloody well that it seems to be a gem.

I also do a lot of hunting trips and camping trips in the summer. Looked at getting a trailer for my truck, but this is way cooler :D

Canmorite
04-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Paging RedlyneMR2.

Redlyne_mr2
04-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Having owned both an 86 vanagon westy and a 92 eurovan westy I have my opinions about both.

The 89s are the last year of the Vanagon and definitely the best. It may or may not have a/c and cruise, originally not even available on the Vanagon. Make sure the fridge turns on easily, they're propane powered and a pain to get working properly. Have a look at the engine, its a boxer engine which means the headgaskets love to leak. Use a coolant conditioner on all coolant flushes to make the HG last. The vanagons are slow, bad on gas but they're badass and everyone loves them. I would say someone could ask $15 000 for a van like that but at the end of the day you'd probably end up with $8k to 10K in your pocket. In my opinion, they aren't worth anymore than 10K just because for a few more grand you could probably find a Eurovan which is much more road and service friendly.

Road trips are amazing with these things. I got denied access into the US last year because they were too lazy to complete some needed paperwork at 11:30 at night, they sent me back, I literally parked and camped in the border crossing parking lot overnight. Having a car that you can park down town and pop the top to sleep in is the best!

Good luck

ercchry
04-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Going from buying a new house in cash to a van down by the river... How cruel the markets can be... :rofl:

ShermanEF9
04-13-2016, 06:18 PM
parts are still fairly available. my friend actually just finished subaru swapping his. what a world of difference it makes.

corsvette
04-13-2016, 06:21 PM
They're worth a small fortune to the right buyer. A friend sold his 87 last summer for $12,500, it had a rebuilt engine and was very nice but not mint. He asked 15k and it sold within 2 weeks.

They have a cult following. You can't go wrong buying it >10K. You'll also enjoy using it, my friend met so many people because of his westy. He broke down once and TWO separate fellow Westy owners pulled over to try and help. I'd love to own one some day, such a cool unit.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-13-2016, 07:09 PM
If you do buy it, I have a recommendation for where to service/get parts for it. I used to work on German cars and we'd use these guys for parts and help with the old stuff.

Bushmasters on Edmonton Trail. They have a ton of parts available and extensive experience with the air cooled VW's. I've never walked in there without leaving with what I came for.

I'm always terrified of a front end collision with those things haha. You're better off jumping out of the car!

HomespunLobster
04-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
If you do buy it, I have a recommendation for where to service/get parts for it. I used to work on German cars and we'd use these guys for parts and help with the old stuff.

Bushmasters on Edmonton Trail. They have a ton of parts available and extensive experience with the air cooled VW's. I've never walked in there without leaving with what I came for.

I'm always terrified of a front end collision with those things haha. You're better off jumping out of the car!

Just don't wear a seatbelt. You'll go flying out of harms way.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/9/93/Bender'sgroupies.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
04-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
They're worth a small fortune to the right buyer. A friend sold his 87 last summer for $12,500, it had a rebuilt engine and was very nice but not mint. He asked 15k and it sold within 2 weeks.

They have a cult following. You can't go wrong buying it >10K. You'll also enjoy using it, my friend met so many people because of his westy. He broke down once and TWO separate fellow Westy owners pulled over to try and help. I'd love to own one some day, such a cool unit.

I can't understand why people pay so much for these.. never meet your heroes.

finboy
04-13-2016, 08:55 PM
I almost bought a syncro (4wd) one last year but backed out. These things pretty much have been to the moon and back, and the lower the miles, the higher the price. If you can get a later model (1991 was the last year) you get some added features, but they are pretty basic, later models got a 5 speed which was nice.

Big things to watch for:
-coolant lines, they run the length of the vehicle and are prone to clogging
-fuel lines, the #1 recommendation is to swap as soon as you get them, they can light the engine on fire if they leak or rupture
-check for rust on the seams and by the windshield, rust free doesn't really exist in the vanagon world
-really look for rust behind the kitchen, vw out insulation behind it and it soaked up moisture from the fridge, rusting out the body behind it.
-transmissions are a weak king, even when you upgrade the motor, the transmission (which are usually 4 speed) aren't exactly stout
-be handy, everyone on thesamba.com (main vanagon board) have massive threads on their ongoing upgrades and repairs, it's a 30 year old german vehicle with camping bits, there will always be SOMETHING to do/fix

Pricing is tricky, they can sell for crazy money (like $80k us) for fully restored, later model syncro's, or reasonable prices. Lately the canadian market has deflated a bit, as all the rust free westy's are out west, where no one has a job, but US buyers are still interested due to the exchange rate (which is now diminishing against their favor still). A lot LIST high because they see the $80k ones on the samba, then linger. Ex. A syncro westy in Winnipeg has been listed for probably close to a year at $26k, another on the island sold for $15k in similar shape.

Don't expect to go fast, factory spec is 90hp I think, the vanagon/westy owners I have talked to stick to the right lame and top speed is about 105-110km on a flat surface with no head wind, mountain passes are a bit more nerve wracking.

I would still love one, they have a lot of character, and the community is really nice, but there is a reason it is cult like, they take a lot of commitment to keep running, and there is endless money that can be spent upgrading. If you decide against it, please send pics, would love to hear more about it.

BavarianBeast
04-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. He is asking $8000 for his. 180,000km and it is probably the best looking 27 year old car I have ever seen. No rust, no scratches, I have no idea how he managed to keep it this mint. The only minor thing that appears to be wrong with it is that the clutch is slipping and will need to be replaced which isn't a big deal.

I think I'll be pulling the trigger...

JRSC00LUDE
04-14-2016, 08:55 AM
You'd be crazy not too for 8k. I'd love something like that to take my son out in. Do it! :thumbsup:

toastgremlin
04-14-2016, 10:55 AM
8k is actually pretty reasonable for a Westy from what I've heard. Probably the first one I've heard of below five digits in the last few years that wasn't a parts van.

Subaru swap it when you do the clutch? :D

Kjonus
04-14-2016, 08:12 PM
If you don't buy it let me know as I'm interested.

craigcd
04-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Yup I have been looking for a while now, that is an amazing deal.

Been entertaining JDM Mazda Bongo's or Toyota Hiaces(although they are very pricey) because i cant justify spending top dollar on a 25 year old high km vehicle.

Not sure what would cause me more issues a old Westy or a JDM import!

Redlyne_mr2
04-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Worth it for 8K, do it!

78si
04-15-2016, 12:17 PM
I have an AWD 98 astro van GTRV. http://www.gtrv.com/
Its like a VW but you can pass cars and tow a trailer.:poosie:

craigcd
04-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 78si

These are also hard to find! Let me know if you see any pop up!

FixedGear
04-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 78si

Those things totally kick ass. :thumbsup:

78si
04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

These are also hard to find! Let me know if you see any pop up!

You should have bought mine in 2012! I had a moment of weakness and advertised it.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/353108/fs-98-gtrv-chev-astro-camper-van/

craigcd
04-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Ahh missed it!

I have a friend with one and he spent about that on his however had less km. The only one I have seen listed was about 250k and $16,000. What a joke!

BavarianBeast
04-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Well, I pulled the trigger.

PROUD owner of a 1989 Westfalia GL Camper. Pictures to follow..

Where should I take it to get the clutch done?

JRSC00LUDE
04-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Good call, it would have been the wrong move to pass that up imo. :thumbsup:

BavarianBeast
04-29-2016, 10:13 AM
I couldn't find anything comparable for under $18k. I think I'd be kicking myself in the ass for a long time if I didn't.

Redlyne_mr2
04-30-2016, 11:38 AM
pics?

BavarianBeast
05-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Here are a couple shitty cell phone pics for now. Car is getting the clutch done currently.

Holy smokes is the thing a joy to drive! I have literally never been in anything that cruises smoother.

http://imgur.com/a/EfrON
http://imgur.com/a/EfrON

kaput
05-04-2016, 04:02 PM

FixedGear
05-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Wow you got a killer deal on that thing

corsvette
05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Looks super clean. Enjoy it, I'm sure you will.

Those aren't deprecating, at what you paid it's also a decent investment!

finboy
05-05-2016, 02:40 AM
Looks sweet, check the insulation behind the fridge, #1 spot for rust

sputnik
05-05-2016, 07:44 AM
You just won the Westy lottery.

BavarianBeast
05-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys, we are ecstatic about it. We have the first trip planned for this upcoming weekend.

I truly feel like I did win the Westy lottery, every time I see it, I cannot believe the condition it is in. It honestly looks in better shape than my 16' ram :nut:.

finboy
05-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Also, please get the fuel lines looked at, a number of westys have had very crispy endings due to corroded lines, I would hate to see that thing go up in flames

FixedGear
05-05-2016, 06:53 PM
You are lucky you got the updated interior, most of thoes vanagon westies have the 1979 interior.

Minimalist
05-05-2016, 08:21 PM
PM me when all the bugs are worked out and you are ready to sell. I'd gladly get back into a well sorted Westie. Easily for me the best sounding stereo of all time, so much space for a well-designed system.

01RedDX
05-06-2016, 10:59 AM

BavarianBeast
05-06-2016, 11:05 AM
It's a 2.1L gas engine.

Thanks for the advice on the lines, I will get them look at.

I will keep you posted Minimalist - though there has been a ton of interest. I have even been offered up to twice the value I payed for it.

Goal for now is to just keep it as mint as possible and enjoy a few trips with it! Just had the clutch and tune-up done, so ready to go! :burnout:

n1zm0
05-06-2016, 11:29 AM
^amazing deal :thumbsup: , that thing is clean as hell. Maybe hold onto it and when the engine dies put a Subie engine in it as they commonly do

Originally posted by finboy

-transmissions are a weak king, even when you upgrade the motor, the transmission (which are usually 4 speed) aren't exactly stout

Don't expect to go fast, factory spec is 90hp I think, the vanagon/westy owners I have talked to stick to the right lame and top speed is about 105-110km on a flat surface with no head wind, mountain passes are a bit more nerve wracking.

These are the 2 most fond memories of the Vanagon Syncro we used to have as a kid, always having to get the transmission fixed on that thing.

It was the 2.1L Wasserboxer , I remember driving to Vancouver in that thing trying to climb up hills, I'm pretty sure it tacked on a good +2 hours with how much it struggled.

Albeit I always wished we had the Westphalia camper, but there was just something awesome about our Vanagon, just what it was in its pure form, it had character for a van. Was kind of sad when we traded it for an even shittier van, a first gen Mazda MPV :barf: .

FixedGear
05-06-2016, 05:28 PM
^man you are lucky you had a synchro, thise things are dope as hell. Unfortunately they're rare and command a high dollar these days. I still can't beleive that VW or any other company isn't making something like this anymore (non-custom, anyways).

zipdoa
05-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
^man you are lucky you had a synchro, thise things are dope as hell. Unfortunately they're rare and command a high dollar these days. I still can't beleive that VW or any other company isn't making something like this anymore (non-custom, anyways).

They do, only in europe. North American's buy massive trailers and RV's, not practical minimalist minivan camper conversions.

finboy
05-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

They do, only in europe. North American's buy massive trailers and RV's, not practical minimalist minivan camper conversions.

The California (new name for the vw camper) is awesome, shame we can't get them here. Strange that vw Names the vehicle after a state, then doesn't sell it in that country

78si
05-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Should have been a dealer option:
http://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Eventually-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker/dp/B00MUAAI0K