PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 6S Plus Battery Question...

EK 2.0
04-14-2016, 08:37 AM
Hello Beyond.

Long time user, first time poster...

I recently (February-ish) left Android and came over to iOS...

Everything was great until this morning....A bit of background I usually plug my phone in around the 20-30% life left to charge it overnight...And then, in the mornings 100% use the device until night time where I plug it back in overnight to charge (again at the 20-30% left mark)...

This morning though battery was 100% while plugged into the charger, checked my emails and as I was doing that dropped (while still plugged in) to 97%...and since then seems to be dropping a lot more than normal already at 93% (granted that I might be fiddling with it a little more this morning trying to figure out what is wrong with it)

Performed a hard reset on it and still no better...

something that I should be worried about, or get checked out or a one off issue perhaps??...Can any of you iOS Fanbois lend the E-Mack a hand in figuring it out??...anyone else had issues like this??...

Thanks y'all...

killramos
04-14-2016, 08:42 AM
have you looked at the battery tab to see whats eating all the juice? Could be as simple as a ton of background app updates using the CPU more than usual?

EK 2.0
04-14-2016, 08:55 AM
I am usually really good at closing apps before I lock my phone or when I am done using FB or Insta or whatever app I just used....so no idea...I will keep an eye on it I guess for today see if it an anomaly or an actual issue haha...

But if anyone has any insights I would greatly appreciate it...

killramos
04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
One thing that going to the apple store will do, is they will install a monitoring app on your phone that will tell them if its really a battery problem or if its abnormal usage. Might be an option if this continues?

Maxx Mazda
04-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Look at battery usage in settings and see what's eating it.

Also the battery meter could need to be recalibrated if you always plug it in around 20%. Google.

benyl
04-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Even if you close your apps, apps like Facebook will still update in the background. You have to turn off "background refresh" to stop that.

BensonTT
04-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Go to app store and download Battery life and check the condition of your battery

88CRX
04-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Look at battery usage in settings and see what's eating it.

Also the battery meter could need to be recalibrated if you always plug it in around 20%. Google.

This!

Every couple weeks you should kill the battery 100%, let it die and then do a full charge back up to 100% without using it at all.

eglove
04-14-2016, 09:27 AM
You don't need to close your apps when you're not using them. But you're better off using facebook through safari than through the app - it really really sucks

EK 2.0
04-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Even if you close your apps, apps like Facebook will still update in the background. You have to turn off "background refresh" to stop that.

I was reading about that this morning...but have always had "background refresh" turned on...and only just today started having the battery issue...

I mean, at the end of it all it might just be a one off and I am worried about nothing. I will watch it for a couple of days and if it continues then will proceed with turning things off.

FB, Insta, Messages and Music are generally the apps that are at the top of the battery usage lists...YouTube some times too...

Will totally kill it the battery tonight and for the next couple of charges to see if that resolves it...

Thanks so far for all the help guys appreciate it!!

killramos
04-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Yea the fb app is a known battery destroyer. It basically constantly pulls new feeds so content is always there when you open the app. FB developers basically DGAF about this.

Also the closing apps before locking your phone is a red herring. It only really helps when apps are regularly polling your GPS location, and in those cases it stops the apps from working properly.

I almost bet for most apps closing and rebooting them uses more battery than just leaving them in RAM in the background.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/BackgroundExecution/BackgroundExecution.html

This whitepaper gives a good idea of how iOS handles background apps and the different types of multitasking the different apps support. 90% of apps get put in suspended most almost immediately after you switch to a new app or lock your phone.

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2016, 11:38 AM
According to an Apple software VP, closing apps has no effect on battery life so you shouldn't have to do that every time.

Facebook is the devil though, it always seems to be up to something.

As for losing charge while charging, phones do not continuously charge while at 100% (you'll notice in the morning your charger probably isn't even warm), they usually just keep topping themselves up that last few percent if you leave them plugged in indefinitely.

Also did you by chance come from a phone that had a big battery? Could be as simple as something like that since the 6S has a pretty tiny battery and you may just be noticing the difference.

Could also try a backup & restore, sounds simple but I've fixed a couple friends' iPhones now with relentless mystery issues that way.

benyl
04-14-2016, 12:00 PM
that's what the apple store always recommends. Restore or even start from scratch.

Because I now store everything in the cloud, starting from scratch is pretty easy. It also pushes me to not re-install apps I don't really use.

rage2
04-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
According to an Apple software VP, closing apps has no effect on battery life so you shouldn't have to do that every time.
I read that too but he's definitely wrong at least in the case of our corp voip app. It doesn't have a background refresh setting, and after it runs it stays online somehow to monitor calls and rings trough, draining my battery to 30% by 1pm. Force close the app, calls stop coming through and battery is fine.

It's possible the app is taking advantage of some other form of unauthorized multitasking but if they can do it any other app can too.

heavyD
04-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

This!

Every couple weeks you should kill the battery 100%, let it die and then do a full charge back up to 100% without using it at all.

I don't believe this is required for newer phones with Lithium-Ion batteries and in fact you are better off charging your phone before it get's below 30%. The only benefit you would get from this is recalibration of the power gauge so maybe once a month or two is all you need to do this.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I read that too but he's definitely wrong at least in the case of our corp voip app. It doesn't have a background refresh setting, and after it runs it stays online somehow to monitor calls and rings trough, draining my battery to 30% by 1pm. Force close the app, calls stop coming through and battery is fine.

It's possible the app is taking advantage of some other form of unauthorized multitasking but if they can do it any other app can too.

Yeah there is the odd app that is still a problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook is one of them. I just hate Facebook now anyway so I don't even use it on my devices. The Email client my Dad has to use for work does the same thing, absolutely destroys his battery unless you completely force stop it. It's probably a for 'most apps and most users' it doesn't matter type thing.

killramos
04-19-2016, 08:10 AM
http://www.wired.com/2016/03/closing-apps-save-battery-makes-things-worse/

Good article on the closing apps thing. Also references android.

tl:dr

Don't do it. The OS is smarter than you are.

rage2
04-19-2016, 08:33 AM
The OS is definitely not smarter than me haha.

http://i.imgur.com/0SE7NUJ.jpg

benyl
04-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Two things.

1. Why is your wireless so shitty?
2. What is that Hangouts app?

;)

killramos
04-19-2016, 09:20 AM
The OS is definitely not smarter than me haha.

http://i.imgur.com/0SE7NUJ.jpg

Well you are the one using that bloody app so... :rofl:

EK 2.0
04-19-2016, 10:14 AM
I guess I should update here...

I performed a restore, as well as a complete drain/charge and things seem to be great again with my device.

Thank you for all who added in some insight...

rage2
04-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Well you are the one using that bloody app so... :rofl:
Not a lot of options when that's the app I have to use for corp communications.

killramos
04-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Not a lot of options when that's the app I have to use for corp communications.

Yea I understand but if it's such a steaming pile why bother?