PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio for a design firm?

Fly Fishin'
04-14-2016, 08:32 PM
So I have never had to make a portfolio of my work for a job but I am going to apply at an architectural/design firm and I'm not sure what to put in. I have not done much side work as I went from school to the work force.
Can I put renderings of projects I have worked on that were released to the public for marketing and other?
I have some school work that is worthy of being on there and some hobby design/builds but not much more than one or two pages.
How did you lay yours out or did you follow an online template?

Thanks, any tips are appreciated.

Minimalist
04-16-2016, 03:32 PM
Call an arch/design firm (in North America) you admire, explain your situation and run with their advice. They will put you in contact with someone in the firm who actually looks at portfolios for a living. They might even offer to take a look at your stuff and give you further direction.

That's what I did.

Your personal opinion of what is good for the portfolio is useless, you are not the one doing the hiring and going through the process of filling a seat.

Don't make people drill down seeking the information they need and this is why you should call someone who does this daily. There is a formula. They are quick to deep-six hassle applicants.

Fly Fishin'
04-16-2016, 09:28 PM
That is a great idea, I didn't even think of fielding it to another firm for advice. After doing some reading I think I need to take some better photos of my stuff but should have something workable is a week or so.