PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Maintenance

nj2Type-S
04-15-2016, 03:23 PM
hey guys,

how do you keep your guys' lawn thick, green and healthy? it seems like no amount of watering can make my lawn awesome lol.

thanks!

B16EJ8
04-15-2016, 03:35 PM
High Nitrogen fertilizer( The first number of the 3 on the bag) and lots of water. power rake/ aerating at the beginning of the season.

nj2Type-S
04-15-2016, 03:49 PM
do you guys recommend the use of liquid fertilizer? i'm thinking that it would be the easier option...

RealJimmyJames
04-15-2016, 09:16 PM
First thing about watering is that you CAN do it too much. Twice a week, for one hour or more, in between 4:00 AM and 8:00 AM.
Get a water timer.

HomespunLobster
04-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Step 1 - Power rake the crap out of it right now before it gets too hot.
step 2. overseed. with maybe some extra. I am going to be doing seed, then light layer of vermiculite/limestone/topsoil mixture, then more seed. Some fertilizer too
step 3 - water. Don't overdo it. As stated before. If you water daily, early morning or later evening 20 minutes or so a zone, which can be excessive but not for new growth.

Liquid fertilizer is not really needed. neighbours lawn has been green for a while now. They just use solid fertilizer lightly throughout the season. But they water almost daily for 20 minutes a zone.

sdevils15
04-17-2016, 11:23 AM
What kind of overseed should be used?

lilmira
04-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Cant even aerate my lawn, it's freaking dry. Giving it a good soak now.

codetrap
04-17-2016, 08:15 PM

89coupe
04-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Rake each spring.
Water
Fertilizer after each cut
Never cut your grass too short.

z24_wheels
04-18-2016, 10:48 AM
I suck at keeping my lawn looking healthy. I power rake every year, and aerate every two years. I used Scott's twice a year. My lawn seems overly bumpy, and there is a section under my neighbors tree that doesn't get much growth.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Fertilizer after each cut

That seems like a lot of fertilizer. How often do you cut?

FraserB
04-18-2016, 11:11 AM
I seeded/fertilized on Saturday and Sunday, hour long soak each day. I'll give it 20 minutes tomorrow and then every second or third day.

Once the front is good, then I'll start on the back. Back is a train wreck since the previous owner had dogs. Any tips for getting rid of the multiple dead patches?

RealJimmyJames
04-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Power rake the shit out of it, then water waaaay too much for a day, then top dress and overseed?

civic_stylez
04-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
I seeded/fertilized on Saturday and Sunday, hour long soak each day. I'll give it 20 minutes tomorrow and then every second or third day.

Once the front is good, then I'll start on the back. Back is a train wreck since the previous owner had dogs. Any tips for getting rid of the multiple dead patches?

loam, seed and lots of water. Had to deal with that nightmare as well.

88CRX
04-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Is it warm enough to start patching dead spots yet with soil + seed?

I had some voles go to town in my backyard over winter. Little fuckers had a feast.

Pacman
04-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Is it warm enough to start patching dead spots yet with soil + seed?

I had some voles go to town in my backyard over winter. Little fuckers had a feast.

Did you get rid of the voles? If so, how?

I've got some under my front porch. They have it pretty good under there so I can't see them leaving on their own anytime soon. I've put poison down the holes but they seem to toss it out.

The_Penguin
04-18-2016, 12:55 PM
How are you guys power-raking?

I have one of those spring things you put on your lawnmower in place of the blade.
Does ok, but a manual rake would be better. If I wasn't so lazy....

I'd probably break down and hire someone if they came by. Lots of companies going door-to-door aerating, bit no power rakers so far.

88CRX
04-18-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

Did you get rid of the voles? If so, how?

I've got some under my front porch. They have it pretty good under there so I can't see them leaving on their own anytime soon. I've put poison down the holes but they seem to toss it out.

I've had poison out for the past month or so. They're living under my neighbors deck. No new tracks in my grass so I hope they're gone.

drtoohotty1
04-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Penguin I am with you on the raking it myself lol had these guys come today can upload pics of their work when i get home http://www.kijiji.ca/v-lawn-tree-eavestrough/calgary/power-rake-aerate-special-100-00/1155318828?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

89coupe
04-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

That seems like a lot of fertilizer. How often do you cut?

Every two weeks, as it grows crazy fast when you fertilize it that much.

I usually go through one large bag per year.

It's not a lot, but enough to keep the grass thick, green, and healthy.

Pacman
04-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

I've had poison out for the past month or so. They're living under my neighbors deck. No new tracks in my grass so I hope they're gone.

What poison are you using? The little green pellets or something different?

I might fire up all 3 cars and run hoses from the exhaust into the holes if the poison doesn't work. :devil:

schocker
04-18-2016, 03:49 PM

I might fire up all 3 cars and run hoses from the exhaust into the holes if the poison doesn't work. :devil:

I had to use a shovel but there are still some living under my neighbors steps I believe :guns:

ExtraSlow
04-18-2016, 06:56 PM

Life hack: Never fertilize, only water a couple times a summer, and mow once a month.

The ROI is massive.

89coupe
04-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Life hack: Never fertilize, only water a couple times a summer, and mow once a month.

The ROI is massive.

Yard work is downtown for me, I enjoy it.

JordanEG6
04-19-2016, 08:06 AM
There is a new school being built near my house, could that cause a water pressure drop? I usually water at about 4am and recently at start up, the sprinkler heads don't fully pop up unless one of the shrub heads are closed. I don't think there is a leak, since it does work with only 3 heads instead of 4.

I'm thinking about trying new heads and bubblers for the shrubs, but they don't have much to offer at Home Depot/Lowes. Anyone know of a good place that sells Orbit or Hunter (or equivalent) irrigation parts?

88CRX
04-19-2016, 09:56 AM

I have several of those little black boxes that have the green blocks of poison in them. However I started with the loose green pellets. Tossed a bunch in all the holes under the fence and I assume they had a feast cause the boxes I laid out after look untouched. No new damage so I hope I got them all.

nj2Type-S
04-19-2016, 12:23 PM
screw it. i'll just give shane at goldrush landscaping a call LOL! this seems like too much work haha!

Wrath
05-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
There is a new school being built near my house, could that cause a water pressure drop? I usually water at about 4am and recently at start up, the sprinkler heads don't fully pop up unless one of the shrub heads are closed. I don't think there is a leak, since it does work with only 3 heads instead of 4.

I'm thinking about trying new heads and bubblers for the shrubs, but they don't have much to offer at Home Depot/Lowes. Anyone know of a good place that sells Orbit or Hunter (or equivalent) irrigation parts?

Regency Irrigation just off country hills - designed my entire system. Tones of parts in stock

You can still have leak if the system works....

Kloubek
05-12-2016, 09:05 PM
If my dog is an asshole and has painted a bullseye the size of a third of my lawn, is fertilizer still a good idea?

JordanLotoski
05-13-2016, 11:18 AM

You cut every 2 weeks? Crazy I get mine cut once a week, and have asked for every 4 days as mine grows so fast.

vengie
05-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
If my dog is an asshole and has painted a bullseye the size of a third of my lawn, is fertilizer still a good idea?

No, Loam and grass seed

89coupe
05-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

You cut every 2 weeks? Crazy I get mine cut once a week, and have asked for every 4 days as mine grows so fast.

Yep, I keep it on the longer side, that way it won't dry out. I don't have irrigation like you most likely have, so I also only water once a week.

sabad66
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Any way to prevent the dog pee spots before they turn brown? Someone told me to keep a watering can nearby and just water over top to dilute the urine which i'll try but not sure if there are any other better ideas?

raceman6135
05-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Any way to prevent the dog pee spots before they turn brown? Someone told me to keep a watering can nearby and just water over top to dilute the urine which i'll try but not sure if there are any other better ideas?

You can try Dog Rocks. Basically, they are rocks you put into their water bowls and it 'treats' the water so that the dog's urine isn't as harsh to the grass.

I've seen them in many pet stores, and here's their Canadian website:

http://www.dogrockscanada.ca/

freshvibes
05-14-2016, 06:20 AM
1) Get it power raked and vac - or buy a manual de-thatcher rake if you want to do it yourself. If you haven't done this for a few years you'll be surprised at how much dead grass comes out.

2) Overseed and water each morning for 2 weeks. Keeping the soil moist, not saturated until the seeds germinate. I like to use twice the recommended amount but that's personal preference. This will get your lawn nice and thick and prevent weeds from coming through.

3) Fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer. Once a month is plenty if you get a slow release type. Be careful not to overdo it as this can provide too much nutrients and burn your lawn.

nonofyobiz
06-14-2016, 08:23 PM
I bought a power rake from CT a couple or 3 years ago. Even after doing it every year I get a huge amount of dead grass out in april. about 4 garbage bags full for my tiny lawn. This power rake works MUCH MUCH BETTER than the rake attachment for the lawnmower.

Wrath
06-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

The ROI is massive.

These are the yards I hate in my Neighborhood

Sugarphreak
06-22-2016, 04:23 PM