PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I need a bigger car

03ozwhip
04-15-2016, 08:21 PM
FML. Driving around in the 335 today and my kid is kicking the back of the seat and my wife's knees are touching the dash, kid says he doesn't have enough room...he's 7.

Stopped in at calgary bmw and drove a 2011 535 in my budget (under 40k) and it's marginally bigger. I don't want to spend much, less than 600 a month and a 5 year finance, no more.

What other cars are bigger but not crazy expensive but with all the bells and whistles? I don't want an SUV and I need a minimum 300 hp.

Sugarphreak
04-15-2016, 08:25 PM

relyt92
04-15-2016, 09:02 PM
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/Genesis/Calgary/Alberta/5_26204877_20130628093641701/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_11

JohnnyHockey
04-15-2016, 09:05 PM
I just bought an 09 G37X sedan and love it, if I ever can afford nicer, I'm probably sticking with Infiniti :thumbsup:

bjstare
04-15-2016, 09:12 PM
G37 is smaller than a 5 series.

CTS-V? Used S6?

RealJimmyJames
04-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Oddly, even some larger vehicles don't have that much rear seat room.
F150 and Dodge MegaCab are kings for rear seat room.
Ford Flex is also pretty massive.

03ozwhip
04-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Ya I have a truck for leg room and I don't really want an SUV. I'll take a look at the hyundai.

01RedDX
04-15-2016, 09:49 PM

03ozwhip
04-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Ya I have a truck for leg room and I don't really want an SUV. I'll take a look at the hyundai.

Just looked at the hyundai and that interior looks like a bag of shit. Comparing leg room, the lexus gs350 and 535 have the most but only 1.5" more than my current car.

I'm not sure spending more money on a car that isn't much more leg room is worth it. But after looking at the M-Sport 535 and the F-Sport GS350 I feel like I want a new car. FML lol

03ozwhip
04-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Last gen Maxima? Tons for under $20K, reliable, 300 HP and best leg room in class.
Looking at more of a luxury brand. I even looked at the q50 which looks pretty nice, but .5" more leg room just won't cut it.

rage2
04-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Tell the kid to stop being a dick and kicking you in the back. He's 7 there's plenty of room back there unless your wife is a child seat nazi that still has him in a seat.

03ozwhip
04-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Tell the kid to stop being a dick and kicking you in the back. He's 7 there's plenty of room back there unless your wife is a child seat nazi that still has him in a seat.

LOL she is definitely. It's just a small booster seat but the way it sits, his legs are straight out. Which brings me to another question, how many of you guys use boosters with your kids around this age?

Are they not supposed to be used til they're like 12 or something lol

InRich
04-15-2016, 11:01 PM
get a 16 Accord. Sat in the back of one today, things amazing comfort wise, lots of room back and front. 32k out the door.

spike98
04-16-2016, 08:20 AM

LOL she is definitely. It's just a small booster seat but the way it sits, his legs are straight out. Which brings me to another question, how many of you guys use boosters with your kids around this age?

Are they not supposed to be used til they're like 12 or something lol

We took ours out of a booster at 7. Law is under 6 or 40lbs. Over that is a "guideline". Our boy is tall as fuck so the booster was quite uncomfortable for him.

On topic, we are going to a Q5 over a car for the room and to pull a light trailer when the truck is pulling our RV. Tons of leg room for both front and rear passengers. We went new because of the deals but you should be able to find a used one around your budget.

03ozwhip
04-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by spike98

We took ours out of a booster at 7. Law is under 6 or 40lbs. Over that is a "guideline". Our boy is tall as fuck so the booster was quite uncomfortable for him.

On topic, we are going to a Q5 over a car for the room and to pull a light trailer when the truck is pulling our RV. Tons of leg room for both front and rear passengers. We went new because of the deals but you should be able to find a used one around your budget.
I just read the government of Alberta rules and ya you're right, it's a guideline unless it's not safe for the kid. I told the wife and she lost her fucking mind she is definitely a seat nazi lol

I thought about an SUV but I don't really want one. I don't know why I don't want one, maybe driver experience is just too low in an SUV.

danno
04-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Gotta agree with inrich, the accord back seat was massive. Most days for us the kids are in the truck, but every now and then they come in the rs4 and its so hard to fit in there with them.

Evo prec
04-16-2016, 09:20 AM
had the same problem from my 3 series then bough a 5 series and same thing and now the x5 is perfect

killramos
04-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Haven't looked at the markets lately but is there anyways you can squeeze yourself into an F10 M5?

That's my go to plan for any kind of notice of impending children.

I really like the F10 quite a lot and with the new gen coming some time soon prices are likely on the decline.

InRich
04-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Evo prec
had the same problem from my 3 series then bough a 5 series and same thing and now the x5 is perfect

why do you think I drive one? its fucking fantastic! the x5M drivers like any sport car, so quick too! 4 sec

Originally posted by killramos
Haven't looked at the markets lately but is there anyways you can squeeze yourself into an F10 M5?

That's my go to plan for any kind of notice of impending children.

I really like the F10 quite a lot and with the new gen coming some time soon prices are likely on the decline.

The m5 is the same as the 3 series. The back, although comfy has NO leg room!

Hey 03ozwhip
Go test drive the x5M. Highly recommend it! even if its just for fun!
:burnout:

J.M.
04-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Budget: under $40k

killramos: get a F10 M5 y0

??????

03ozwhip
04-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Honestly the f10 m5 was my go to, but I decided I want to stay under 40k so I can get myself a classic car next year. Not only that, I need AWD, you know, woman requirements.

killramos
04-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by J.M.
Budget: under $40k

killramos: get a F10 M5 y0

??????

I honestly thought 2012 specimens could be had for 40-50 based on M3 pricing and standard BMW depreciation (turns out closer to 75 after doing some looking) and hence my using the term squeeze.

:dunno:

rage2
04-16-2016, 10:43 AM
I can't stand SUVs either and I ended up with one. Well, at least one that handles like a car. Too bad the GLA45 is outside your price range. It's a hell of a car with tons of rear leg room regardless if you have a seat nazi in your family or not.

X5M doesn't drive like a sports car, unless your sports car experience includes raised seating position and never turning ever. :rofl:

jdmakkord
04-16-2016, 11:06 AM
What type of booster seat are you using? The larger type that looks like a full car seat?

Ukyo8
04-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Honestly the f10 m5 was my go to, but I decided I want to stay under 40k so I can get myself a classic car next year. Not only that, I need AWD, you know, woman requirements.

New Cadillac CTS 3.6 AWD :dunno:

EDIT: New-ish

revelations
04-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by InRich
get a 16 Accord. Sat in the back of one today, things amazing comfort wise, lots of room back and front. 32k out the door.

:werd: I would also think about Honda. They've seemed to make big interiors inside (what might seem) small cars.

03ozwhip
04-16-2016, 11:55 AM
I can't stand SUVs either and I ended up with one. Well, at least one that handles like a car. Too bad the GLA45 is outside your price range. It's a hell of a car with tons of rear leg room regardless if you have a seat nazi in your family or not.

X5M doesn't drive like a sports car, unless your sports car experience includes raised seating position and never turning ever. :rofl:

GLA45 hey? That looks like a pretty killer little SUV. I priced one out and it's in the 63k range. There's one on kijiji for 57k. It does make me think. I can afford it, but do I want to spend that much, I dunno.

Originally posted by jdmakkord
What type of booster seat are you using? The larger type that looks like a full car seat?
No just a little seat with no back.

Originally posted by Ukyo8

New Cadillac CTS 3.6 AWD :dunno:

EDIT: New-ish
Thought about it but I'm unsure the wife likes it, I'm also not sure it's much bigger than the other cars i mentioned.

Originally posted by revelations

:werd: I would also think about Honda. They've seemed to make big interiors inside (what might seem) small cars.
I don't want a Honda. I looked at the TLX and the wife doesn't like the a styling of it, so it's a no go.

Redlyne_mr2
04-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Ive got a used m37x that I'll firesale out to you another option could be a new VW CC, big rebates on those right now or the super Rare 2016 Passat Execline v6 (rare car, same engine as the audi A6 but fwd and $25K less).

03ozwhip
04-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Ive got a used m37x that I'll firesale out to you
That's a thought. I'll pass the info to my wife. PM Me what kind of pricing you can do. Remember I need to trade in my 335.

benyl
04-16-2016, 01:17 PM
The GLA 45 has more leg room in the rear seat than my E63.

What most people don't realize is the C class and the 335 are compact size. They are smaller inside than a civic.

gpomp
04-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by benyl
What most people don't realize is the C class and the 335 are compact size. They are smaller inside than a civic. It costs more so it must be bigger :dunno:

know1edge
04-16-2016, 01:28 PM

revelations
04-16-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't want a Honda. I looked at the TLX and the wife doesn't like the a styling of it, so it's a no go.

I guess that's why many parents eschew minivans as well. May look horrid to many but function beautifully in people carrying.

Vagabond142
04-16-2016, 03:00 PM
I know this may sound a bit "cheap," but a Kia Optima SX is still within your price range, has loads of grunt, and has exceptional rear leg room. I've ridden in the back of one multiple times (2012 or 2013 model, I don't remember). I'm 6 foot tall and have decently long legs, and I never had any comfort issues, head or leg, in the back of the Optima.

The full, top of the line 2016 SXL with turbo and paddle shifters is $39.5k IIRC, but that has all the bells, all the whistles, AND a waffle maker (not really on the waffle maker bit). And, I can attest, owning a "cheap" Kia ('13 Rio5 EX) that their build quality is superb, and they are on par with Honda and Toyota for phenomenal reliability. 3 years and 52,000 KM in and there are no squeaks or rattles, and the car still feels tight and responsive, like when I drove it off the lot.

HiSpec
04-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Ive got a used m37x that I'll firesale out to you another option could be a new VW CC, big rebates on those right now or the super Rare 2016 Passat Execline v6 (rare car, same engine as the audi A6 but fwd and $25K less).

The CC's rear cabin area is surprisingly spacious.

cycosis
04-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Car seat tech here:

A child can discontinue use of a booster seat based on all 3 of the following being met:

1. The child's butt must be seated at the bite of the vehicle's upholstery "bite", ie. all the way to the back.

2. The child's knee must bend completely over the edge of the seat, it cant bend only a bit forcing the child's legs outwards.

3. The shoulder belt must pass over the collarbone of the child. Not low on the shoulder, or high on the neck.

If the kid can't accomplish all these things, put the stupid kid back in a booster seat.

A highback booster has 3 advantages that you should try to maximized in terms of length of use.

1. A highback booster provides side impact head support, limiting the potential lateral movement of a child's head int eh event of a side impact collision.

2. A highback booster has the vehicle's seatbelt guide built into the adjustable headrest, thus you can ensure the shoulder belt is always correctly positioned across the child's collar bone.

3. When the kid falls asleep, it will help keep the child in a safe, upright position as opposed to a slumped over position in a backless booster or no booster at all.

If the kid is bitching, tell him to shut the fuck up.

03ozwhip
04-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
Car seat tech here:

A child can discontinue use of a booster seat based on all 3 of the following being met:

1. The child's butt must be seated at the bite of the vehicle's upholstery "bite", ie. all the way to the back.

2. The child's knee must bend completely over the edge of the seat, it cant bend only a bit forcing the child's legs outwards.

3. The shoulder belt must pass over the collarbone of the child. Not low on the shoulder, or high on the neck.

If the kid can't accomplish all these things, put the stupid kid back in a booster seat.

A highback booster has 3 advantages that you should try to maximized in terms of length of use.

1. A highback booster provides side impact head support, limiting the potential lateral movement of a child's head int eh event of a side impact collision.

2. A highback booster has the vehicle's seatbelt guide built into the adjustable headrest, thus you can ensure the shoulder belt is always correctly positioned across the child's collar bone.

3. When the kid falls asleep, it will help keep the child in a safe, upright position as opposed to a slumped over position in a backless booster or no booster at all.

If the kid is bitching, tell him to shut the fuck up.
I like this response. Unfortunately I tested it and he's still gotta be in a seat. So it looks like I'll be looking for something. Anyone wanna buy a 2011 335 special edition?

rage2
04-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Go on and listen to that child seat nazi. You'll be the dude with the 14 year old in a booster seat. :rofl:

http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/2015/03/iStock_29429636_4x3.jpg

InRich
04-17-2016, 10:50 AM
hey rage. my x5M will shit kick whatever you go going any day of the week. soooooooo. :burnout: eat shit?

JohnnyHockey
04-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I know this may sound a bit "cheap," but a Kia Optima SX is still within your price range, has loads of grunt, and has exceptional rear leg room. I've ridden in the back of one multiple times (2012 or 2013 model, I don't remember). I'm 6 foot tall and have decently long legs, and I never had any comfort issues, head or leg, in the back of the Optima.

The full, top of the line 2016 SXL with turbo and paddle shifters is $39.5k IIRC, but that has all the bells, all the whistles, AND a waffle maker (not really on the waffle maker bit). And, I can attest, owning a "cheap" Kia ('13 Rio5 EX) that their build quality is superb, and they are on par with Honda and Toyota for phenomenal reliability. 3 years and 52,000 KM in and there are no squeaks or rattles, and the car still feels tight and responsive, like when I drove it off the lot.

Grunt? Pretty sure he said he wants 300+ hp....as far as I know all Kias are slooow. They look fast though lol

ercchry
04-17-2016, 11:08 AM
CT6 for new, Lexus LS for used... Long wheelbase and ultra lux package so kid will always have enough room and the only thing you will feel in your back is the heated jade massage rollers :rofl:

benyl
04-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cycosis

We just went to Hawaii and decided to travel light. This was the result.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/568C6AAA-3301-48EA-9665-8B73F9A960B8_zpspky7d9bb.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/568C6AAA-3301-48EA-9665-8B73F9A960B8_zpspky7d9bb.jpg.html)

Sentry
04-17-2016, 11:17 AM
hey rage. my x5M will shit kick whatever you go going any day of the week. soooooooo. :burnout: eat shit?
Oooo, supercar callout.

ercchry
04-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Sentry

Oooo, supercar callout.

It's funny cause with almost 200hp less than the x5m rage's gla45 has surprisingly close specs... And with rage behind the wheel rich would get spanked around the road course

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-amg/gla45-4matic

http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x5-m

03ozwhip
04-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Go on and listen to that child seat nazi. You'll be the dude with the 14 year old in a booster seat. :rofl:

http://assets.babycenter.com/ims/2015/03/iStock_29429636_4x3.jpg

LOL that will definitely not happen but riht now she is right. That hurts to say haha.

Uh ohhh lol

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

Grunt? Pretty sure he said he wants 300+ hp....as far as I know all Kias are slooow. They look fast though lol
I'm not really looking at a kia, thanks for the suggestion though.

Sugarphreak
04-17-2016, 11:53 AM

ercchry
04-17-2016, 11:55 AM
^^They both hit 0.96g on the skid pad

killramos
04-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Yea aside from stoplight grand prix launches ( the X5's main strength ) I'm fairly certain both of rages cars would put it into the ground...

It does fine, but once rolling a real sports car will embarrass it in a hurry.

eur0
04-17-2016, 12:09 PM
What did you not like about the 535? Love that car for it's performance/price/styling, too bad there's no manual though

Vagabond142
04-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

You could have 300+ HP and 130 lbs/ft of torque, and a Kia Optima Turbo will walk all over it :P Quite seriously, go test drive one. When I drove my old roomy's Optima Turbo (2013 model iirc), I was surprised. Thing freakin GOES. It's no WRX or Evo X or Lamborghini, but it has the power you need for real world, day to day driving

As well, the Optima Turbo makes 274 HP and 270 lbs/ft of torque. They are surprisingly grunty for a Kia. If I could afford one, I would get one :D

03ozwhip
04-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by eur0
What did you not like about the 535? Love that car for it's performance/price/styling, too bad there's no manual though

There's nothing I didn't like about the 535 except there isn't much more room than my current car. Simply put I need more room, I want to stay away from an SUV but that GLA45 really got me thinking, albeit 20-30k over my budget lol

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Remind me never to get married and have kids lol.

InRich
04-17-2016, 02:35 PM

There's nothing I didn't like about the 535 except there isn't much more room than my current car. Simply put I need more room, I want to stay away from an SUV but that GLA45 really got me thinking, albeit 20-30k over my budget lol

dude seriously
go look at the 16 Accord Sport. You'll be amazed. I certainly was

benyl
04-17-2016, 03:58 PM

The GLA45 isn't an SUV. It's a hatchback with fender flares that tricks retarded North Americans into believing it isn't an A class. The car is so low, it cannot have tinted windows from the factory.

It's super fun, obnoxious and fast. You'll wipe the floor with it. It destroys X5Ms and doesn't have to have its battery replaced every 9 months. 2016s have more horsepower, adjustable suspension and better gearing.

I drove Shelton's the day he brought it home. Try one. You'll be amazed.

max_boost
04-17-2016, 05:12 PM
What about a minivan? :thumbsup:

benyl
04-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What about a minivan? :thumbsup:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/02/burnouts-for-family-1029hp-minivan/
:thumbsup:

Aleks
04-18-2016, 07:50 AM

Lexus LS460 regular and long wheel base. Can be had in AWD. It will be a different driving experience from the 335 tho. This is the car size you're after if you think 535i is too tight. Most importantly I wouldn't hesitate buying a 5-6 year old Lexus as opposed to a MB, BMW (as a daily that is).

bjstare
04-18-2016, 07:59 AM
If I was looking for a luxury barge in your budget with a backseat big enough for a teenager in a booster seat, I'd buy this in a heartbeat

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2007-lexus-ls-460/1156976130

:closed:

Hallowed_point
04-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Remind me never to get married and have kids lol.
:D

rage2
04-18-2016, 08:53 AM
It took me forever to end up with the GLA, most rear legroom in the entire Mercedes lineup in a car that's slightly bigger than a Golf and handles like a car. Love the thing so much I'm probably buying another one when the warranty runs out. Greatest car ever if you have kids and you're a true car enthusiast that cares about throwing the car through twisties.

Xtrema
04-18-2016, 08:53 AM

dude seriously
go look at the 16 Accord Sport. You'll be amazed. I certainly was

Sounds like OP want to stay within the luxury badges.

j0nblayz
04-18-2016, 09:03 AM
my vote is for cpo'd f10 535i xdrive unless you need to storage space then go for x5. 535i should be close to your budget, and there will be plenty of room in the back. I fit 2 kids in the back with boosters with no issues.

Too many horror stores with the older n63 550i's. Newer ones with the n63tu is good, but avoid the older ones.

blitz
04-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Have you looked at getting a different booster seat first? Or ask the wife how much longer he'll be in the booster seat. If it's a short time period just deal with it for the time being.

BTW, the photos in your Kijiji ad are horrible :rofl:

03ozwhip
04-18-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by blitz

BTW, the photos in your Kijiji ad are horrible :rofl:

LOL I'm kind of embarrassed that I posted those pics to be honest. I just rushed it before I left my house. I think I'll get my wife to take better pics.

This comment really bothered me because you're right, I had to reply lol

Manhattan
04-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Get this if you can put down cash:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/mercedes-benz-e550-2010/1146431093

Inzane
04-18-2016, 11:52 AM

We took ours out of a booster at 7. Law is under 6 or 40lbs. Over that is a "guideline".

Something there doesn't sound right. 40 lb is the threshold to transition from a child car seat to a booster seat. Not to get out of a booster seat.

My 4 year just made the transition to booster seat last fall.

40 lb doesn't even sound like the right weight to correlate with 6-7 year olds.

klumsy_tumbler
04-18-2016, 11:52 AM
It took me forever to end up with the GLA, most rear legroom in the entire Mercedes lineup in a car that's slightly bigger than a Golf and handles like a car. Love the thing so much I'm probably buying another one when the warranty runs out. Greatest car ever if you have kids and you're a true car enthusiast that cares about throwing the car through twisties.

Very quick off-topic, but did you ever try the Macan, Rage? Curious as to how one of those would compare to the GLA....

Inzane
04-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-amg/gla45-4matic

Third paragraph down:

But this is still a small vehicle with limited rear-seat space.

This would seem to negate Rage's initial recommendation to the OP, budget notwithstanding.

Edit: I missed Rage's earlier comment quoted above. Most rear leg room in entire Merc line-up. Interesting... I wonder what C&D's frame of reference is then. :confused:

lint
04-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
Something there doesn't sound right. 40 lb is the threshold to transition from a child car seat to a booster seat. Not to get out of a booster seat.

My 4 year just made the transition to booster seat last fall.

40 lb doesn't even sound like the right weight to correlate with 6-7 year olds.

It's age + weight. According to the law, your 4yr old needs to be in a car seat (child safety seat), not a booster

http://www.saferoads.com/vehicles/child-safety-seats.html

The Law in Alberta
A child under six years whose weight does not exceed 18 kg (40 lb.) must be properly secured in a child safety seat.
All child passengers must be secured in an approved and properly used child safety seat, which is used and installed according to your vehicle and car seat manufacturer’s instructions.
It is the driver’s legal responsibility to ensure that each passenger under the age of 16 years is properly secured in the vehicle. Drivers are subject to a fine for each child not properly secured.
Child safety seats used in Canada must have a label on them stating that the seat meets Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213.

Booster Seat - Over 18 kg (40 lb. plus)
The Government of Alberta recommends that once a child graduates from a child safety seat that the child be in a booster seat until they turn nine or reach a weight of 37 kilograms (80 lbs.).

blownz
04-18-2016, 01:23 PM
I went from an E90 to an F10 535 for the exact reason: thought we needed extra room.

Aside from the trunk, like you mentioned, the back seat isn't much bigger and because the rear cushion in the F10 is bigger than the E90, it actually caused the kids legs to stick out even straighter. And those 18 way front seats are huge. My kids actually didn't like it (aside from the big NAV screen lol) so we never drove it anywhere as a family.

Worst part is the handling on the F10 is pure shit compared to the E90. I was dying to go back to a smaller car after about 6 months. Definitely keep in mind the handling while test driving.

My recommendation would be the CTS V-sport. 400+hp and the handling is really impressive for the size of car.

Or...I would just wait a bit. In another year or two the kids legs will hang over the way they should and it won't be an issue any more. My kids are 8 and 10 now and I recently had a Lancer as a rental and the kids had tons of room in the back. Big cars suck!

spike98
04-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by lint

It's age + weight. According to the law, your 4yr old needs to be in a car seat (child safety seat), not a booster

http://www.saferoads.com/vehicles/child-safety-seats.html

You didn't highlight the appropriate word "recommends"

lint
04-18-2016, 03:41 PM
You didn't highlight the appropriate word "recommends"

don't want to keep derailing this thread, but his child is 4 not 6, so doesn't meet the minimum requirement to "graduate" from a child safety seat and therefore should not be in a booster. The language may not be clear, but it is a minimum of 6yrs old AND greater than 40lbs, not 6yrs old OR greater than 40lbs. So a 5yr old who's 60lb should not be in a booster, by law.

And I'm not agreeing with the law, just stating what it is

rage2
04-18-2016, 04:15 PM
It's or. Even bolded.

http://albertaseatbelts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/26794-boosterseatlegislationchart.pdf

Actual law:

http://albertaseatbelts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Alberta-Child-Restraint-Laws.pdf

Wording is a exercise in English logic decryption, but it's definitely or.

lint
04-18-2016, 04:35 PM
It's or. Even bolded.

http://albertaseatbelts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/26794-boosterseatlegislationchart.pdf

Actual law:

http://albertaseatbelts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Alberta-Child-Restraint-Laws.pdf

Wording is a exercise in English logic decryption, but it's definitely or.

Standing corrected. And these doesn't seem to be any mention of conditions for front vs rear facing?

rage2
04-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
Third paragraph down:

This would seem to negate Rage's initial recommendation to the OP, budget notwithstanding.

Edit: I missed Rage's earlier comment quoted above. Most rear leg room in entire Merc line-up. Interesting... I wonder what C&D's frame of reference is then. :confused:
Lazy journalism? I'm guessing they're using the "rear legroom" metric which is wildly inaccurate and never actually sat someone in the back. It measures hip to back of front seat with the front seat maxed out in front position. Problem is that every car has a different range of front adjustability so that metric is completely useless.

What I do is I sit in the front, set it to my comfortable driving position (not emergency I have to fit someone back there in a pinch position) then I go and sit in the back to see how much room my knees have. You might've seen some of the photos that I've posted of my knees before haha. I also bring a car seat and stuff my kid there to see how everything clears against my driving position.

The Merc range in terms of most legroom goes something like:

GLA
B
GLS
S
E
GLE
GLC
C
CLA

Before the R was discontinued, it topped the lineup in rear legroom. While the GLA has the most rear legroom, rear headroom sucks. The GLA also cheats the legroom department with the thin Recaros. Option it with regular seats and it drops under the B.

JRSC00LUDE
04-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Ahhh, god bless my relatively tall 55 pound 4 year old brick shithouse of a kid - been rocking a booster seat since the fall. Mind you whoever may sit in front of him in my Tacoma has to slide the seat forward for him too.....

03ozwhip
04-21-2016, 06:23 AM
I've been talking to Merc about the GLA45 but ice also been talking to them about a used x1 35i. I'm going to check them out next week and see what I come up with.

I've been hearing that the legroom in the x1 isn't any better than my car so I'd like to find out. The price difference between the 2 is the cost of buying 2 x1s vs 1 gla45 so it's definitely a thought.

rage2
04-21-2016, 07:35 AM
I have a GLA45 and my bro has a X1 you can test drive. His X1 is the last gen, the new one sucks to drive, completely different chassis that blows goats haha.

killramos
04-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Old X1 is a pretty great car, we got my mum one winter 2014 and she really likes it. Drives great too, even the 28i. I have never had a problem sitting in the back, she also makes great use of the fold flat rear for added practicality.

The new one is based on the Euro 2 series Active Tourer ( :whipped: ) which is their new FWD chassis. Pure garbage.

I have to put a child seat in the back of my 2 coupe this weekend as my cousin and her son are flying in to visit. Will report back on that impending cluster fuck. :nut:

03ozwhip
04-21-2016, 09:38 AM
I have a GLA45 and my bro has a X1 you can test drive. His X1 is the last gen, the new one sucks to drive, completely different chassis that blows goats haha.

Nice! I'll take you up on that next weekend if I can. I am looking at a 2014. I think that's the last year of the 35i model.

Originally posted by killramos
Old X1 is a pretty great car, we got my mum one winter 2014 and she really likes it. Drives great too, even the 28i. I have never had a problem sitting in the back, she also makes great use of the fold flat rear for added practicality.

The new one is based on the Euro 2 series Active Tourer ( :whipped: ) which is their new FWD chassis. Pure garbage.

I have to put a child seat in the back of my 2 coupe this weekend as my cousin and her son are flying in to visit. Will report back on that impending cluster fuck. :nut:

Good to know, appreciate the feedback. Good luck with the kid in the back lol

cycosis
04-21-2016, 11:51 AM
JUST so everyone knows, there is no booster seat law in Alberta. Apparently it infringes on the "rights" on rural communities, ie. farmers/hutterites etc.

Parents in Canada have an odd tendency to move their kid to the next stage at the earliest possible moment. This is bad practice.

You should always try to maximize each stage of a car seat, while managing the operating environment in the vehicle. Keep them rear facing as long as possible, forward facing in a 5 point harness as long as possible, then a booster seat as long as possible. Make sure they outgrow the height or weight limit of the stage.

killramos
04-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Well I am mildly impressed, seat fits pretty well in there. Esp with front seat all the way forward.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/1AFF703C-E31E-465A-A95D-50409AE865EE.jpg

I can still fit in front of it (though only just) and I am about 6 feet tall. Not bad for a little 2 series.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/4F867932-5CB4-4109-A2AC-BA5DA38FA35D.jpg

If I adjust the seat to where I would actually want it rear room is more like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/1830C5D7-C373-45CA-A336-140F3DA4E7F0.jpg

Still alright. Might be tight for an older kid.

Overall, 2er is workable as a "sometimes" family wagon I think. This aligns with my overall opinion of the 2's rear seats. Leg room is actually decent due to the shape of the seats. It's only height that really gets you, which I have the same problem with even in a luxo barge cls550. Again perfectly workable in a pinch.

Also no comment on how long it took me to figure out how to install it without instructions :nut:

Anyhow shutting up as if OP can't make a 3 series sedan work a 2 series coupe is defs not in the running.

Personally if I had to ditch the 2 a GLA45 would be on the short list. I really enjoyed it when rage let me take it for a rip last summer.

03ozwhip
04-23-2016, 09:53 PM
^ lol nice! Good job Fitting it haha. As far as dealers go, how far is their reach? If I'm looking for a particular vehicle that a local dealer doesn't have but some other dealer in a different province has one, how would I find out if they have a reach there?

Jeff TYPE R
04-24-2016, 02:03 AM
Strange thread. The discussion went from a Buick Lacrosse to some guy stuffing a car seat into a 2 series and snapping photos for the thread.

My wife drives an X3 35i. We won't be at the booster stage for awhile, but I think rear facing seats take up just as much room anyway. It's fairly spacious, comfortable, and it has enough grunt to embarrass ricers and speed ahead of whomever is being a dick on the road. It doesn't handle at all, but you'd have to be a fairly awful person to really put that to the test with kids in the car.

rage2
04-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
My wife drives an X3 35i. We won't be at the booster stage for awhile, but I think rear facing seats take up just as much room anyway. It's fairly spacious, comfortable, and it has enough grunt to embarrass ricers and speed ahead of whomever is being a dick on the road. It doesn't handle at all, but you'd have to be a fairly awful person to really put that to the test with kids in the car.
You appreciate the handling when kids aren't in the car, just like how you appreciate your power to embarrass ricers and speed ahead of dicks. Unless of course you're an awful person and embarrass ricers with the kids in the back.

Or maybe you're just getting old and have outgrown being a car guy and willing to settle for boring to drive cars. :devil:

GTS Jeff
04-25-2016, 11:38 AM

You appreciate the handling when kids aren't in the car, just like how you appreciate your power to embarrass ricers and speed ahead of dicks. Unless of course you're an awful person and embarrass ricers with the kids in the back.

Or maybe you're just getting old and have outgrown being a car guy and willing to settle for boring to drive cars. :devil: The only time the SUV doesn't have kids in it is also when the wife is driving it and she doesn't care all too much. As far as embarrassing ricers with kids in the back...well that just makes it all the more embarrassing for them, doesn't it?

But yes, the older I get, the more tame (lame?) my cars. :zzz:

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Kind of an odd ball suggestion but you can get a 2016 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate for $52K right now ($10K off) before negotiations. It has a better interior than some of the Germans and all the electronic toys of a loaded 5-series or similar. 430 HP, napa leather, Lexicon stereo, etc. It's a pretty big car, lots of back seat room. Value proposition is very high, even though it's not quite as fun as something from BMW.

03ozwhip
04-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Is it really a smart decision to spend 50k on a hyundai? That kinda worries me.

JRSC00LUDE
04-26-2016, 09:37 AM
I see Hyundai as a bit of a black hole if you buy new/lease. Good cars in their own right but such horrid depreciation that once you're in one you have to stay in them or take a big bath to get out. :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Is it really a smart decision to spend 50k on a hyundai? That kinda worries me.

Not sure how these new ones will hold their value, they are only as old as 2014. Just looking on auto trader, all the 5.0 Ultimates on there are 2015-2016 and basically full MSRP so there isn't really much data. Anyway, just a thought. I was impressed by it for the money, but I agree that public perception still isn't where it should be for Hyundai - it's a fair concern.

Maybe they're better to lease if Hyundai pulls a GM and gives you an inflated residual.

03ozwhip
05-09-2016, 12:21 PM
So I posted in the latest purchase thread but thought I'd update this one. I checked out the GLA45 and wow, it's a small hatch, I thought it would be bigger, but for the size of the car it was roomy.

That being said, I decided that I didn't want a $750-$1000 a month payment, so I looked around and found the perfect combination of the 335 and "non suv/hatch in my budget" and picked up the X1 35i. It's a blast to drive. Its already got a dinan stage 2, black grills and intake and I plan on doing a bunch more to it, it helps that it's an awesome color and it's mostly loaded lol

Thanks To Rage2 for offering to let me drive both his and his brothers vehicles to make a decision even though I didn't need it, they were both at mercedes, 2 birds one stone lol

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/Screenshot_2016-05-09-09-46-08_zpsvjzkkonc.png (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/cory_mr2/media/Screenshot_2016-05-09-09-46-08_zpsvjzkkonc.png.html)