PDA

View Full Version : Garage Improvements

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Dave P
04-19-2016, 12:19 PM
So I have my garage been built right now, and am pretty amped haha. Having years or keeping toys in peoples sheds, garages, back yards, and having to really plan maintenance sessions, now I can keep them all close to me haha.

So what improvements have you made to your garage that you couldn't live without now? Could be big or small, cheap or expensive.

Just looking for ideas to maximize my new garage.

Ca_Silvia13
04-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Think about your cabinets/shelves. Draw it out, measure twice.

I've redone my shelves 3 times because I was stupid and rushed it.

jwslam
04-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Overhead storage, hanging bikes, hanging ladder, tire rack, LED lighting, retractable extension cord

schocker
04-19-2016, 01:13 PM
I am working on my garage currently. Just about finished priming, then time for paint. Then I have 8'x8' of proslat to go on the wall along with tire racks. Then I will build a new low cabinet for tools and whatnot with a work surface then a tall cabinet for all of my detailing stuff. Probably won't do my floor this year but might redo the POS stairs.

BavarianBeast
04-19-2016, 01:17 PM
We just bought our house and we are moving in May 31st.

I am planning on ordering these in a blue/black pattern with lighting strips and doing my entire garage floor in them.

http://racedeck.com/

s_havinga
04-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Might be too late but 9' ceiling and open web trusses! gives you attic access/ storage and the extra foot of clearance is great because you can put up a row of shelving along the wall and still be able to walk/ park under it.

gretz
04-19-2016, 01:22 PM
I would get the highest walls possible. Increased roof height makes all of the difference / makes the garage seem that much larger (also allows more options, you never know when you'll need the height.)

Window location and direction the garage door faces / man door access should be in a place for a reason, not just "two window there, and my door here"... have rhyme to the reason.

Floor thickness, how much weight are you going to have in there?

Lots of receptacles, you can never have too many

Think of panel and electrical requirements... I went 200Amp into my shop, then "drip feed" the house as opposed to 100A into the house, then ~70A to the garage. It's still one trench, you also hold the house power hostage if need be lol.

Run your gas line for heat, CAT5 for internet, phone line, etc all at once.

Leave a gasline provision outside so you can hook a natural gas BBQ, heater, etc... outside

Exterior lights and plugs should be thought out / can be extremely useful in the right locations.

I just built a shop last year, if you want to pop down and take a look, it could give you some ideas / things to look out for...

AA2001
04-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Shelving space is key! if you have as many toys as probably everyone on here, no matter how much shelving space you make, you're going to use it all. We just build a new rack on the back on my garage wall this weekend and it's going to clear up a lot of the clutter we had.

http://i.imgur.com/zabr4Zk.jpg

Darkane
04-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Not that is was cold enough to need it this year, but garage heater.

raceman6135
04-19-2016, 11:18 PM
I wish my garage did not have windows. I would rather have had more wall space for storage and increased security of no windows.

Don't get too hung up on placing a lot of electrical receptacles. This contradicts a lot of people's theories, but I have found that the majority of my corded tools (drills, grinders, etc.) have cords that are too short and require an extension cord to get to where I'm working. Exception to that rule: workbench. Have receptacles both on the wall and the front of the workbench if possible, so you can keep the cord out of your way as much as possible.

Power some lights on their own, dedicated circuit. If you trip a breaker because of a tool plugged into a receptacle, you won't be left in the dark.

Keep receptacles and light switches more than 48" off the floor. This way, you can lean a 4'x8' sheet of plywood or other material against the wall without pinching electrical cords that happen to be plugged in.

Decide where you would like to put your air compressor so that the proper electrical circuit can be run. Same thing for welders, plasma cutters, mills, and any other "work station" type requirements.

If you have space around or behind the garage for a travel trailer, think about having a 30 amp or 50 amp RV receptacle installed where applicable for RV use.

Some guys like to "man cave" up their garage, which includes neon lights/signs. If that sounds like you, get some outlets installed high on the wall where the signs will hang, and incorporate a switch for them in a convenient location.

Put a large, long piece of flat steel or angle iron on the striker side of the man door such that it strengthens the door frame against door kick-in by thieves. Search "jamb shield" for some ideas on this.

Jackshaft style garage door openers require an electrical receptacle mounted beside the large door.

Working on old cars, race cars, and project cars, you sometimes have to move them around without help from their own engines. Flush mount floor anchor points allow you to use a cable come-along or 12 volt winch to pull vehicles into the garage or sideways (on dollies) from one part of the garage to another.

If future plans involve a 2-post or 4-post lift, either decide on a specific location for it now, or just have the entire pad poured thicker and/or higher MPa concrete.

Big, and a couple, fire extinguishers.

HiTempguy1
04-19-2016, 11:59 PM
If you haven't poured the pad yet, put pex down for underfloor heating.

Really, having it heated is the biggest thing. Everything else can be worked around IMO and everything has been listed in the other posts.

Sugarphreak
04-20-2016, 07:02 AM

phreezee
04-20-2016, 07:39 AM
I bought some slats when they were on sale at Costco.
http://www.costco.ca/Proslat-Wall-Panels-and-Accessories.product.100284931.html

mix123
04-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

That stuff is the best. I put it up instead of drywall on all my walls. No regrets.

Xtrema
04-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

2nd, but Costco only has white and won't give me Charcol or Light Gray.

So I have to source it from either Rona or Home Depot. They are normally $140 per 8x4'. I have seen as low as $120.

Once Garage Granite guy is out to do the floor, will do proslats next.

G
04-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by mix123

That stuff is the best. I put it up instead of drywall on all my walls. No regrets.

My obligatory humble brag post...:poosie:

http://i.imgur.com/i60zDsp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HhwdQgo.jpg

99GDA1bIH6Y

Dave P
04-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Its going to be 24x24x8 with a 12 inch curb wall. 18 x 8 door. 40 amp service, Have a furnace ready to be installed. Was just going to insulate myself. Whats the best way to insulate the roof but keep the rafters open (for storage?)

Pretty pumped on it. Will be nice to load up the dirt bikes the night before and keep it parked in the garage.

Does anyone have the side mounted garage door opener? They are a bit more money, but look pretty trick.

schocker
04-20-2016, 09:14 AM
^^That makes my 8'x8' seem so pitiful :rofl:

sputnik
04-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by G

Whats with the handrail in front of the door?

Kloubek
04-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by raceman6135
I wish my garage did not have windows. I would rather have had more wall space for storage and increased security of no windows.

You'll think that until you go back into your garage to get something out of your car shortly after coming home, using the door light which stats on for some 5-10 minutes, only to find yourself stuck in total darkness once it turns off because you forgot to turn on main overhead lights.

1st world problems.

BavarianBeast
04-20-2016, 09:22 AM
^ I feel like the door is open and they have a mirror at the entrance.

G
04-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Whats with the handrail in front of the door?

Isn't in front of the door. The landing is fairly large but you need railing there so you don't fall over.

You can see it a bit better in this picture.
http://i.imgur.com/hptqVBG.jpg

raceman6135
04-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

You'll think that until you go back into your garage to get something out of your car shortly after coming home, using the door light which stats on for some 5-10 minutes, only to find yourself stuck in total darkness once it turns off because you forgot to turn on main overhead lights.

1st world problems.

I'm in my late 40's now and the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, so I turn on the garage lights every time I enter, regardless of how long I'll be in there or the time of day LOL

#GettingOldSucks

mix123
04-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Dave P

Does anyone have the side mounted garage door opener? They are a bit more money, but look pretty trick.

Ya I have one. Super quiet. Looks cleaner than having track and opener hanging on ceiling. Locks door as soon as it's down.

Works great.

jwslam
04-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

1st world problems.
That's why my dome light and trunk light put out 500 lumens each.

blownz
04-21-2016, 09:59 AM
^ motion sensor.

I actually have 4 100 watt bulbs on a motion sensor in my garage, so most of the time you don't need any of the other lights on. And everytime you drive in it is nice and bright.

I will echo most people here as the musts are: lots of plugs, lots of lights, and a heater. Floor drain is one other thing I could not do without. I also have hot and cold water and an extra drain by the entrance to the house to add a sink, but I never ended up putting that in.

Sweet garage G!

mix123
04-21-2016, 10:17 AM
The garage door opener I have has a motion sensor in the control panel so it keeps the light on with motion. Works well.

Hot and cold water with a sink is on the top of my list.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Dave P

Its going to be 24x24x8 with a 12 inch curb wall. 18 x 8 door. 40 amp service, Have a furnace ready to be installed. Was just going to insulate myself. Whats the best way to insulate the roof but keep the rafters open (for storage?)

The best answer (IMO) for storage is "attic trusses." You won't have open rafters but you will have additional storage space and it's easy to insulate. If you go with attic trusses, install some lighting up there on its own switch - doesn't have to be anything fancy.

40A 240V is good, but if you can go up a wire gauge and get 50A or 60A service you will thank yourself if you ever plan to run a welder and/or large air compressor.

Assuming detached garage, run Ethernet cable out there while you have the trench open for natural gas. I couldn't live without my shop computer and having it wired in plus a wireless access point in the shop is great.

Jackshaft openers are great and really clean up the overhead space. Gotta make sure you have an outlet in the right place, though.

If you can swing it, get extra height if you are even entertaining the idea of a vehicle lift. 9' just isn't enough for lifts.

Have fire extinguishers mounted in multiple locations, I have one per door and one centrally located.

Rat Fink
04-21-2016, 10:53 AM

s dime
04-21-2016, 12:39 PM
What price ranges are people paying for epoxy floors?

Xtrema
04-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by s dime
What price ranges are people paying for epoxy floors?

$6-$7/sqft

I am having Garage Granite out next week to do mine.

Called Ultimate Garage since their promo video seem to have faster drying products. And I think G's garage is featured as well. But looks like the partners at UG has brokened up. My request for quote at UG became someone from Garage Living. And they don't carry the same product as UG so I may as well stick with Garage Granite.

Rat Fink
04-21-2016, 10:19 PM

jeffh
04-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Mine was in the 1100 range for a 24x26 garage done by myself. That was with grinder rental, cleaning supplies, and a 100% solid industrial quality epoxy laid down THICK.

This interests me. Please share any details on where and what you rented/purchased. Did you have any footing-walls in your garage, that you would've epoxied? If so, how did that go as far as the application and fighting gravity/drips?
Feel free to pm me if thats better for you. Thanks!

schocker
04-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Installed my 8x8 proslat yesterday, never thought that I wouldn't have 16" centres... :rofl:
Took me super long to install but looks pretty good :thumbsup:

nismodrifter
03-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Anyone have this? On sale for $199. Seems like a rock solid option for storage.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-4-tier-heavy-duty-storage-rack-24-x-77-x-72-in-0687066p.0687066.html

schurchill39
03-15-2019, 05:19 AM

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-4-tier-heavy-duty-storage-rack-24-x-77-x-72-in-0687066p.0687066.html

They are the same as the Costco "Snap On" ones and the heavy duty Home Depot "Husky" ones. I've got a bunch of buddies with all the variations of them and they are solid. Definitely a good buy.

ExtraSlow
03-15-2019, 06:57 AM

They are the same as the Costco "Snap On" ones and the heavy duty Home Depot "Husky" ones. I've got a bunch of buddies with all the variations of them and they are solid. Definitely a good buy.
These are awesome. I have that exact one and a similar one that I think came from costco. They aren't identical, but close enough that it doesn't matter. One holds all my camping gear and firewood. I used to collapse the plastic shelving pretty regularly. Even when I was trying not to put too much weight on them. With these, no issues, I could put two fat chicks on each shelf and I'd be all set.

One note, these bitches are HEAVY, so lift with a buddy. I let the scrawny kid from Ctire load it into my truck, and I backed my truck right where I needed it, so I basically just had to drop it off my tailgate. #lazylifehacks

ThePenIsMightier
03-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Mine was in the 1100 range for a 24x26 garage done by myself. That was with grinder rental, cleaning supplies, and a 100% solid industrial quality epoxy laid down THICK.

Is this still holding up well?
I wouldn't be ashamed to admit if it wasn't because you still saved over $2,000.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2019, 08:34 AM

I have the Husky version, it's a great unit. Super heavy duty, only complaint is sliding stuff on the wire shelves can be annoying, but if you cut a few pieces of thin plywood for shelf covers you're golden.

nismodrifter
03-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Tony2
04-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Here is mine, an epoxy floor and custom built cabinets / benches, Just make sure you have lots of light too makes way easier for when working on things................

dj_rice
04-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Here is mine, an epoxy floor and custom built cabinets / benches, Just make sure you have lots of light too makes way easier for when working on things................

Damnnnnn!!! How much did all those cabinets cost

JfuckinC
04-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. :thumbsup:

yep, i have that too filled up with car parts lol good solid shelving.

killramos
04-02-2019, 11:22 AM

The dream...

JfuckinC
04-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Yah that garage is nuts! Super jealous.

I just built mine in the fall, I'll post some pics up later this week maybe.

Perfect Dark
04-02-2019, 11:44 AM

Looks fantastic! Did you do the floor yourself or hire someone to do it for you?

Tony2
04-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Thanks all,

It ended up being a fair amount of money so I did in stages, then I paid to have the mudding, taping, knock down ceiling, floors, Cabinets, benches, and slat wall professionally done.

I did some of the little things like painting, lighting, etc (Lol so not a lot)

It also has in floor heating which keeps it nice and warm in the winter, though it is a mess right now! :(

blownz
04-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Definitely looks great! Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your garage?

legendboy
04-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Think of panel and electrical requirements... I went 200Amp into my shop, then "drip feed" the house as opposed to 100A into the house, then ~70A to the garage. It's still one trench, you also hold the house power hostage if need be lol.

oh man why did I not think of that! Well done sir (for those of us with high power requirements)
I've been ok with 100a panel ~ 80a service. I have a box fan attached to the rear of my tig welder that i run an extension cord and plug it in my houses when I have to crank ac tig lol but ive been alright. Had I 200a 10 years ago, I would likely have a completely different shop!

Little Dragon
04-05-2019, 08:14 AM
My garage is concrete and after many years of working on cars there are a lot of oil stains and it just doesn't look that great any more.

What is the best bang for my buck if I want a floor that will be spill resistant and easy to clean? That epoxy flooring posted earlier looks really nice...

ThePenIsMightier
04-05-2019, 10:16 AM
My garage is concrete and after many years of working on cars there are a lot of oil stains and it just doesn't look that great any more.

What is the best bang for my buck if I want a floor that will be spill resistant and easy to clean? That epoxy flooring posted earlier looks really nice...

It sounds like the Rustoleum product is decent IF AND ONLY IF you prep it correctly.

rx7boi
04-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Damn that is a pimping garage.

I've been procrastinating on even getting mine insulated. At this point I'm probably just gonna pay someone to do it.

nismodrifter
04-05-2019, 12:00 PM
What kind of cabinets are most Beyonders getting for garage? Home Depot/Lowes stuff? Any particular items to watch out for re sales?

88CRX
04-05-2019, 12:34 PM
What kind of cabinets are most Beyonders getting for garage? Home Depot/Lowes stuff? Any particular items to watch out for re sales?

Gladiator stuff at Lowes goes on sale all the time. Not worth it at 100% cost but usually can pickup at 25%+ discounts. Its OK.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-05-2019, 01:39 PM

As I understand it, you have to get every last trace of oil out of the concrete or the epoxy won't stick for shit, especially the DIY stuff.

goldfish168
04-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Look into Ikea kitchen cabinets, they're having their kitchen event right now but it happens twice a year usually. If you get the plain white doors, it's pretty inexpensive I think. They even had a stainless steel finished door that might look good in the garage but the price climbs quite a bit depending on door finishing.

Here's my cabinet setup:

Chandler_Racing
04-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Two options: Cabinets by Haley or Proslat Fusion Pro line.

legendboy
04-05-2019, 07:29 PM
I got a whole row of cabinets from the place that cuts my hair haha (they renovated)

JfuckinC
04-05-2019, 08:31 PM
File cabinets are the shit for garage storage lol

Tony2
04-06-2019, 10:14 AM
Two options: Cabinets by Haley or Proslat Fusion Pro line.

Haley Cabinets are VERY nice! I looked at them and decided against as similar to what had made (Though Hailey are more durable, etc) was just over 40k without that big corner one which I have my compressor and some other storage in. I spent 1/3 of that on the cabinets being custom made and installed into the garage.

Tony2
04-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Definitely looks great! Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your garage?

The Garage is 26' deep and approx 40' wide, there is that little corner that jaunts out a bit, for the floor was just over 1000 sq ft of epoxy they laid down.

Its a pretty good size, can still fit my 1/2 ton crew cab short box truck in there and walk behind it, get in cabinets, etc (Park close to garage door when closed)

shadowz
04-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Work in progress, last year when we moved in

Update as of this weekend

I'll update this thread later, hoping to have all my storage solutions arrive soon

Darkane
04-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Looks awesome. Is that a tandem deep?

Nice setup

shadowz
04-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Looks awesome. Is that a tandem deep?

Nice setup

Thanks! Yes it is

nismodrifter
04-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Nice. Keep us posted. Look forward to seeing what you are doing storage wise.

If anyone comes across good deals on storage + boxes, please do shoot me a PM or post link here. I'm on the hunt for a tall metal cabinet, a work table of some sort, and a tool box. Tool storage wise thats all I will need for now. I'll deal with wall organization/slatpanel stuff later this year.

sabad66
04-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Nice. Keep us posted. Look forward to seeing what you are doing storage wise.

If anyone comes across good deals on storage + boxes, please do shoot me a PM or post link here. I'm on the hunt for a tall metal cabinet, a work table of some sort, and a tool box. Tool storage wise thats all I will need for now. I'll deal with wall organization/slatpanel stuff later this year.

Home Depot had some great deals on their big Husky toolboxes they were clearing out. Picked one up for 398 after i saw it on RFD. Not sure if they have any left at this point but worth asking. Also note the clearance price doesn't show on the website so you have to go in store or call to see the sale price

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-depot-store-husky-42-tool-chest-cabinet-combo-398-both-perhaps-ymmv-order-2275343/6/

this work table looks pretty good too if it's still on for 298
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-depot-husky-46-inch-9-drawer-mobile-workbench-298-2278281/#p30801170

navdeep
04-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Work in progress, last year when we moved in

Update as of this weekend

I'll update this thread later, hoping to have all my storage solutions arrive soon

what kind of lights are those

shadowz
04-22-2019, 03:24 PM
what kind of lights are those

Just some Amazon cheap LEDs, Hyper Select

88CRX
04-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Anyone have any experience with the 'NewAge' cabinets? Costco sells them for a decent discount over manufacturer prices.

https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-10-piece-Cabinet-Set.product.100383230.html

https://images.costco-static.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=12026539&imageId=100383230-894__1&recipeName=350

Reviews seem decent and they're less expensive then piecing together Gladiator stuff when it happens to go on sale at Lowes.

Perfect Dark
04-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Anyone have any experience with the 'NewAge' cabinets? Costco sells them for a decent discount over manufacturer prices.

https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-10-piece-Cabinet-Set.product.100383230.html

https://images.costco-static.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=12026539&imageId=100383230-894__1&recipeName=350

Reviews seem decent and they're less expensive then piecing together Gladiator stuff when it happens to go on sale at Lowes.

I've been eyeing up the same ones...group buy? Haha.

88CRX
04-29-2019, 01:17 PM
The more I read up on those ones the better they sound.

Unfortunately I already have some gladiator stuff (and it need to all match obviously lol) so I'm not sure what to do now.

thinmyster
04-29-2019, 10:30 PM
I have a couple of the bold series pieces and really like them.

Brent.ff
04-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Im pretty sure Costco will be having a discount on them (or at least giving you the additional 5 shelf unit for free) in mid may, if i remember what was on my costco mail.. We were looking at them

kenny
04-30-2019, 11:14 AM
If anyone is looking at the 10-piece set from Costco, this 12-piece is same price (even includes lighting that 10-piece doesn't).

https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-12-piece-Cabinet-Set.product.100383213.html

88CRX
04-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Im pretty sure Costco will be having a discount on them (or at least giving you the additional 5 shelf unit for free) in mid may, if i remember what was on my costco mail.. We were looking at them

Costco mail? Do they give you the heads up on upcoming sales?

If anyone is looking at the 10-piece set from Costco, this 12-piece is same price (even includes lighting that 10-piece doesn't).

https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-12-piece-Cabinet-Set.product.100383213.html

Good catch! I dont need that many pieces, but why not!

Brent.ff
04-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Costco mail? Do they give you the heads up on upcoming sales?

I'll take a photo of the ad. It was in the mail from costco with our exec. membership

?????
05-01-2019, 10:32 PM
I'll take a photo of the ad. It was in the mail from costco with our exec. membership

The deal was the 8 piece (https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-Series-8-piece-Cabinet-Set%2c-Grey.product.100383232.html) at regular price $1500 and you got the 5 piece (https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-5-piece-Cabinet-Set.product.100383235.html) for free.

I have the bold 3.0 in my garage and they look great and function well for my space. Once its all bolted up they feel solid. I haven't had them for too long so I can't say how they will hold up.

Brent.ff
05-02-2019, 07:39 AM

Yup, so get that free with it. So a 20% discount ain’t bad. Looks like it starts May 20

Perfect Dark
05-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Yup, so get that free with it. So a 20% discount ain’t bad. Looks like it starts May 20

Fantastic, thanks for letting me know!

JfuckinC
05-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Cool that seems like a good deal I might jump on those too. Thanks for posting it up.

88CRX
05-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Costco has their tool box back for 2019....

https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature-43-in.-16-drawer-Top-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo.product.100427074.html

I think they're $750 if you pickup in store. And was reading that some old 2018 stock has been marked down to $500ish in some locations. Probably overkill for most garages but why not.

shadowz
05-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Recent update, very happy I've gotten most of the stuff off the floor, installed the ceiling storage and wheel hooks.

dj_rice
05-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Recent update, very happy I've gotten most of the stuff off the floor, installed the ceiling storage and wheel hooks.

Wow TE37's for winter setup and summer setup. Cray cray :bigpimp:

shadowz
05-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Wow TE37's for winter setup and summer setup. Cray cray :bigpimp:

TEs year round, letting my wife use my set at the moment. Hers can chill on the wall for a bit

chongkee_
05-06-2019, 03:23 PM
TEs year round, letting my wife use my set at the moment. Hers can chill on the wall for a bit

What do you use to hang your wheels?

shadowz
05-06-2019, 03:30 PM
What do you use to hang your wheels?

Just some random wheel hooks that I bought

Buster
05-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Looks great

ThePenIsMightier
05-20-2019, 02:10 PM

Isn't this supposed to be on sale now?
https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-Series-8-piece-Cabinet-Set%2c-Red.product.100473419.html

Edit.
Reading > Me.
https://www.costco.ca/NewAge-Products-Bold-3.0-Series-8-piece-Cabinet-Set-with-Value-Added-Bold-3.0-5-piece-Set.product.100417798.html

?????
05-21-2019, 02:21 PM
My obligatory humble brag post...:poosie:

http://i.imgur.com/HhwdQgo.jpg

99GDA1bIH6Y

You may have answered before but what kind of storage lift is that?

sabad66
05-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Saw this in the costco newsletter email:

https://www.costco.ca/Proslat-8-ft.-Wall-Panels-with-%2459.99-Value-Added-Proslat-Hook-Kit.product.100009387.html

seems like a good deal with the free hook kit when you buy an 8ft panel. anyone try these before?

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Saw this in the costco newsletter email:

https://www.costco.ca/Proslat-8-ft.-Wall-Panels-with-%2459.99-Value-Added-Proslat-Hook-Kit.product.100009387.html

seems like a good deal with the free hook kit when you buy an 8ft panel. anyone try these before?

I think Cagare is pretty heavily invested into it. Or was.

LUDELVR
06-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for flooring in a newly built garage? I'm not looking to break the bank here but at the same time, I would like something that will not peel or flake off. Initially, I was looking at some foam flooring as I like the idea of not having cold, hard concrete on my back if I'm working on the floor under a car but then I thought about a jack and jack stands on there and cutting right into it. My brother had painted his garage but it was peeling pretty badly and he will have to repaint the entire thing again so that is a bit of a turn off. My contractor recommended something from Home Depot that is also a paint on surface but he was saying that it will never peel off but I can't remember what it was. Either way, I would like something that hides dirt quite well, won't peel easily or at all and something that can make the garage look sort of automotive-like. Oh yeah, and I don't want to have to sell my kid to get it!

Ca_Silvia13
06-17-2019, 12:55 PM
I've tried 3 different garage floor kits from HD and they all peeled after 2-3 years. My R comp Toyos peeled it up very easily after the first season.

I had a buddy that did foam tiles, he did not glue them down or anything. Once a little bit of water gets on the concrete underneath the tiles, they slide very easily. I would not recommend the tiles unless you glue them down somehow.

LUDELVR
06-17-2019, 01:27 PM
I've tried 3 different garage floor kits from HD and they all peeled after 2-3 years. My R comp Toyos peeled it up very easily after the first season.

I had a buddy that did foam tiles, he did not glue them down or anything. Once a little bit of water gets on the concrete underneath the tiles, they slide very easily. I would not recommend the tiles unless you glue them down somehow.

Two questions with the foam tiles. Firstly, if they were interlocking tiles, would they still be sliding if they are all one and attached together? Secondly, did he have issues with sharper/heaver objects cutting into them like jacks and floor jacks? I also read that if you're doing any grinding or metal cutting, the hot shards or bits would burn right through the foam. Same with any chemicals that are corrosive. On the good side, it would be pretty easy to replace I'd imagine.

Swank
06-17-2019, 02:22 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for flooring in a newly built garage? I'm not looking to break the bank here but at the same time, I would like something that will not peel or flake off. Initially, I was looking at some foam flooring as I like the idea of not having cold, hard concrete on my back if I'm working on the floor under a car but then I thought about a jack and jack stands on there and cutting right into it. My brother had painted his garage but it was peeling pretty badly and he will have to repaint the entire thing again so that is a bit of a turn off. My contractor recommended something from Home Depot that is also a paint on surface but he was saying that it will never peel off but I can't remember what it was. Either way, I would like something that hides dirt quite well, won't peel easily or at all and something that can make the garage look sort of automotive-like. Oh yeah, and I don't want to have to sell my kid to get it!

I'm almost at the 4 year mark with my garage flooring and it's still almost as good as new, totally worth it IMO. Not sure if you'd consider it bank breaking or kid selling for the cost ($3K). I wash it once a year and the only part that is tougher to get perfectly clean is the tire tracks. See my post somewhere in here - https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/369112-Garage-floor/page2

Ca_Silvia13
06-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Two questions with the foam tiles. Firstly, if they were interlocking tiles, would they still be sliding if they are all one and attached together? Secondly, did he have issues with sharper/heaver objects cutting into them like jacks and floor jacks? I also read that if you're doing any grinding or metal cutting, the hot shards or bits would burn right through the foam. Same with any chemicals that are corrosive. On the good side, it would be pretty easy to replace I'd imagine.

Yes they were interlocking. If you stopped hard while walking it would easily slip out a tile or two even though they interlocked.

As for having the tiles tearing up. No issues there. He actually had a pool table and Foosball table in there for a while. They did not tear the tiles.

cars5431
06-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Swiss trax is nice, keeps dust down in garage

LUDELVR
06-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Swiss trax is nice, keeps dust down in garage

Oh, those are nice! I see they are made in Canada. What was the cost to have that done?

cars5431
06-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Can install in couple hours yourself, goes pretty quick just snapping together. If I remember correctly around $1500 I think

jwslam
06-19-2019, 07:22 AM
How does that stuff deal with winter salt water?