PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new bike. Recommendations?

ICEBERG
04-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Sorry guy's. I know it is another bike recommendation thread but i need your help choosing the right bike for my self here.

First off i have not been on a bike or rode a bike in 30 years. Yea been that long.:D

So my kids are bugging to get a bike to go riding with them this summer and i don't know where start. My kids have Trek Merlin 5's and 6's that they ride around the path ways and trails.

Knowing me i usually go full out with everything.:D Then might end up sitting in the garage.

So what do you guys recommend for a guy who is almost 50 years old weigh about 215-220lbs, 6'1 tall and with a bad back and knees but want's to keep up with the kids:D

As money goes i don't mind spending anywhere around $1000-$2000.

Any info would be great.

Penguin_Racecar
04-19-2016, 06:03 PM
What do you mean by trails? Crushed gravel and smooth dirt (like Nose Hill and some of Fish Creek), or actual rooty rocky stuff? Would be best to know what you'll be riding on to determine if you should have a mountain bike or a hybrid. As your kids are on mountain bikes it may be best to go with that route. $1000-2000 range will get you something full suspension also to take some of the stress off your back.

I can post some suitable bikes in your price range if you figure you want to go the mountain bike route. I'd reserve the hybrid setup if you're going to strictly ride pathways.

bigbadboss101
04-19-2016, 06:04 PM
With a bad back, I think something more upright would work well? A CrossRip or something along that line? All depends where you will be going with it I guess.

ICEBERG
04-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
What do you mean by trails? Crushed gravel and smooth dirt (like Nose Hill and some of Fish Creek), or actual rooty rocky stuff? Would be best to know what you'll be riding on to determine if you should have a mountain bike or a hybrid. As your kids are on mountain bikes it may be best to go with that route. $1000-2000 range will get you something full suspension also to take some of the stress off your back.

I can post some suitable bikes in your price range if you figure you want to go the mountain bike route. I'd reserve the hybrid setup if you're going to strictly ride pathways.

More like Nose Hill bike paths to start off for me. So i think i would like to stick with a mountain bike route. If i do start enjoying riding again i wouldn't mind going to places like Jasper national parks for riding.

I know it is best to go to a bike shop to start off with but i want to go there at least with an idea what to look for. My kids bikes i always bought at bow cycle or ridleys in calgary.

ercchry
04-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Probably best to go ride a few around, some (most?) shops will let you just grab a bike and go ride it around, I'd say something like a Gary fisher or the like should be in that range, something with suspension that you can lockout would probably be ideal, get the travel when you need it (easier on back) and lock it out when you want to kick the kids ass' haha

ICEBERG
04-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Probably best to go ride a few around, some (most?) shops will let you just grab a bike and go ride it around, I'd say something like a Gary fisher or the like should be in that range, something with suspension that you can lockout would probably be ideal, get the travel when you need it (easier on back) and lock it out when you want to kick the kids ass' haha

Sorry but i never heard of Gary Fisher bikes? who sells them or makes them?

ercchry
04-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Oh, turns out I'm getting old haha... Looks like trek bought them out... Gary fisher is one of the guys that invented mountain biking... Started the brand and I guess sold out in 2010... Boo

Err... Guess trek bought them years ago but discontinued the stand alone brand in 2010

msommers
04-19-2016, 09:32 PM
http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-mountain-bikes-under-2000

ICEBERG
04-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Dropped in to Bowcycle yesterday to take a quick look at what they have and was recommended the Cannondale Quick 4 by one of the staff. I am going back on Saturday to take it for a ride.

Cheers,

http://guiadeprodutos.ativo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/QUICK-4.jpg

ICEBERG
04-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Decided i am not going the mountain bike route. I tried a friends mountain bike on the trail last weekend and wasn't for me. Going to stick with bike paths and ride along the neighborhood.:D

bigboom
04-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
Decided i am not going the mountain bike route. I tried a friends mountain bike on the trail last weekend and wasn't for me. Going to stick with bike paths and ride along the neighborhood.:D

I would highly recommend re-thinking that. A hardtail mountain bike gives you options that a hybrid does not. If you get a 29" hardtail with a lockout fork you have essentially a hybrid just by changing tires but you also have the ability to ride it off road with your kids.

Hybrids restrict you in terms of the size of tire you can use, mountain bikes allow you to go skinnier but also bigger if you want. The geometry of hybrids are absolute garbage, I know people with bad backs say they want that upright geometry blah blah blah, but try riding a hybrid 20k and then a mountain bike 20k and then tell me which one feels better on the back.

Pacman
04-28-2016, 02:02 PM
I have had back issues in the past (lumbar fusion) and bought a Cannondale Quick 4 a few years ago. I sold it 2 months later as it was not upright enough.

I ended up with a Globe Roll 7 (made by specialized) which is more upright. However, I'll probably sell that and buy something really really upright like a dutch bike as I only ride paths.

Keep that in mind about the Cannondale.

Mitsu3000gt
04-28-2016, 02:18 PM
What about a Norco Indie? I was looking at one for the GF a while back, seemed like a decent road/path bike for the money.

ICEBERG
04-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
I have had back issues in the past (lumbar fusion) and bought a Cannondale Quick 4 a few years ago. I sold it 2 months later as it was not upright enough.

I ended up with a Globe Roll 7 (made by specialized) which is more upright. However, I'll probably sell that and buy something really really upright like a dutch bike as I only ride paths.

Keep that in mind about the Cannondale.

Thank's for the heads up Pacman. Lot of good info guys. I will consider all this when going to ride few bikes on Saturday.

I will also keep my options open on a nice Mountain Bike also. I didn't realize as i got older it was harder to pick a bike as to when we were younger. When i was a kid growing up 70's and 80's my parents bought my bikes from crappy tire and that was it. Now we have cross over, mountain, cruise, electric assist ect..ect..:D

ICEBERG
05-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Hey Guys

So after long ride of bunch of bikes from Bowcycle and Ridleys i have settled on the Giant Fastroad. It was the best of the bunch and so much fun and easy to ride. Price was not bad also. Picking it up this week.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/800/2016/FastRoad-SLR-1-Black.jpg

Edit: Also to let you guys know that i rode this bike around kensington for about 45 min without any back pains. I was really really surprised how smooth and light this bike was. Bumps were really not that harsh and it obsorbed the road really well. The only thing that i had an issue was the seat. My butt started to hurt after 15 min. I will prob. switch out the seat for something more comfortable. I did rode mountain bikes and was not for me.

Mitsu3000gt
05-02-2016, 10:52 AM
That bike looks awesome.

For your seat, I had the same issue and The Bike Shop and MEC both sell good seats, not too bulky, padded, and a valley for your junk. I would also recommend some padded shorts to wear under whatever you wear, they are around $40.

Nothing I've ever been able to do has prevented a bruised butt-bone after a long bike ride though. You can only mitigate it.

bigbadboss101
05-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Nice choice! I had researched various bikes and the AnyRoad and Fastroad were intriguing.

Penguin_Racecar
05-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
[B}

Nothing I've ever been able to do has prevented a bruised butt-bone after a long bike ride though. You can only mitigate it. [/B]

Three things:
1. Proper seat width for your sit bones and properly set up
2. Padded shorts
3. Seat time

I remember when I used to not ride in winter. The first few spring rides would leave you sore. Now I don't feel seat discomfort until 4+ hrs on the bike and even then it's mostly due to a lake of chamois cream - not sore glute region.

Cool looking bike ICEBERG!