PDA

View Full Version : Insuring Imported cars from Japan

topher91
03-17-2004, 01:52 AM
What companies insures these cars that are imported from Japan? I know that my insurance company won't insure it until the car is physically in Canada so they can look at it becuz they have no idea what some of the cars are. I see lots of people trying to import vehicles here into Canada, but I'd like to know how to insure them and about how much would the insurance be??

I know that there are companies that deal with classic car insurance and stuff along that line but they are not meant to be driven on a daly basis. Has anyone shipped a vehicle and insured it here in Calgary yet??

Thanks

Chris

1badPT
03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
The typical procedure if you are insuring a non standard vehicle (IE hotrod, custom, classic, etc) is to get an appraisal of the car done to establish its cash value, then you'll be charged an appropriate premium.

Most companies will only insure such a car if its insured as a secondary car IE another car that you will drive daily insured full PLUS the project car.

topher91
03-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Most companies will only insure such a car if its insured as a secondary car IE another car that you will drive daily insured full PLUS the project car.

Does that enable you to drive the "project" car on a daily basis as well then?? Does this apply to cars that are not "project" cars that are simply daily driven??

Chris

hyperwhite
03-17-2004, 03:13 PM
what are you trying to insure?

Hollywood
03-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know many insurance that will insure a modded car, even the appraisel style.

topher91
03-17-2004, 04:45 PM
^^But its not modded.....??^^ The cars I'm talking about are those Skylines and those S13 that are 15yrs and older that people are importing here.

Before I purchased my Del Sol I was seriously trying to import a bone stock S13, but my insurance company didn't know what it was. I told them it was similar to a 240sx coupe here but they didn't have the correct model cuz the S13 was still different.

So how do the people who have these cars here have them insured?? I just wanna know what insurance company will insure these cars.

thich
03-17-2004, 04:51 PM
contact redbaron303 he might b able to help

mx73someday
03-17-2004, 11:35 PM
I've insured a JDM car with Meloche Monnex as a personal vehicle, it was an 88 Toyota Soarer. It was easy, I had the Soarer post-date insured before the car was landed. It was just liability coverage, and they wanted a copy of the out-of-province inspection. If I wanted other coverage, they needed an appraisal performed to determine the value of the vehicle.

The toughest part was spelling the cars for them and convincing them that Japan domestic cars don't have 17-digit vin's but rather manufacturer specified serial numbers.

Redbaron303, my business partner, also got same-day insurance with an 88 Nissan Silvia K's with State Farm.

They weren't insured as special use vehicles, they were regular cars without any mileage restrictions.

I've heard stories about some insurance companies refusing to cover these vehicles, but I think if you go to either of these companies, Meloche Monnex or State Farm, you should get the same service.

Seanith
03-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Nice.. 2 or 3 more years :drool:

topher91
03-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
I've heard stories about some insurance companies refusing to cover these vehicles, but I think if you go to either of these companies, Meloche Monnex or State Farm, you should get the same service.

Do you mind telling me how much the insurance was for the silvia??

mx73someday
03-18-2004, 12:17 PM
I believe Redbaron303 said it was $120/month for just liability, at the age of 20.

My Soarer was just under $100/month for liability at age 22.

hyperwhite
03-18-2004, 12:43 PM
wow u guys have cheap insurance out there. i'm paying way more than that for my 90 cavalier :eek:

blinkme_210
03-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday
I believe Redbaron303 said it was $120/month for just liability, at the age of 20.

My Soarer was just under $100/month for liability at age 22.

I had a talk with Redbaron303 recently at the Edmonton Car Show, and from what I remember, the Silvia was registered as a secondary driver car, hence the low rates.

topher91
03-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

I had a talk with Redbaron303 recently at the Edmonton Car Show, and from what I remember, the Silvia was registered as a secondary driver car, hence the low rates.

So how much of a jump in insurance would the car be if it were a primary vehicle??

blinkme_210
03-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Probably a $200-$300 increase. Or maybe even more, cause of the turbo, 2 doors, etc. The usual BS that the insurance companies can use to justify their rates.

crazydriver
03-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Ahh crap, an extra 200-300 bucks?? there goes my dreams of a Skyline..:( :(

habsfan
03-19-2004, 02:36 PM
wow u guys have it pretty good over there.......we pay like aaround 200 a month just for liability on a POS car....

hyperwhite
03-19-2004, 02:37 PM
200-300 a year or a month

redbaron303
03-20-2004, 04:11 AM
The Silvia was insured as a primary car, 2nd on my policy (2 car policy). There were no restrictions for driving, amount of KM, where it could go, when it could be on teh roads or anything. It was like driving a regular car. My insurance company cut me some slack on the price since I have two cars on policy (as they usually do w/ multi-vehicle discount).

In addition to that the price was $105/month as that secondary car; by itself (trying to remember back) it was only ~$130/month for only liability.... In anycase it worked out cheaper that I insure the 88 Silvia versus an 89 240SX. The reason for this is because my insurance company has never heard of the "Silvia" before, but at the same did not hesitate to insure it: without a full vin, with it being RHD, and with it being Turbo.

It was rather easy, I just picked up the phone and made the call.

IMO if your insurance company won't offer you insurance on the car, you probably shouldn't be dealing with them as they aren't a good company to deal with. I say this because if they aren't willing to insure a car that is 100% legal to drive on any Canadian road... I'd hate to see the turn around time on a claim or the type of service they give you, it's probably not the greatest and you're getting what you pay for.

I've found Statefarm to be the cheapest of the numerous insurance co's I've talked to.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, and I'd be glad to help you insure your jdm car or tell you about my experience.

redbaron303~!

ChrisK - ImportConcern

redbaron303
03-20-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Probably a $200-$300 increase. Or maybe even more, cause of the turbo, 2 doors, etc. The usual BS that the insurance companies can use to justify their rates.

This is the comment I was talking about

Discounted 2nd vehicle rate = $105/month

Sole vehicle on policy rate = ~$130/month

The policy only covered $1000 000 liability, it was roughly $90/year more (if I remember right) to have it covered with comprehensive coverage as well.

topher91
03-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info redbaron303 !!! Now to find a skyline or s13 here in Calgary!!

Chris

88CRX
03-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by topher91
Thanks for the info redbaron303 !!! Now to find a skyline or s13 here in Calgary!!

Chris

first you sell out of the ef's.... now your ditching honda all together :D jk :D

davidI
03-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
wow u guys have it pretty good over there.......we pay like aaround 200 a month just for liability on a POS car....

Trust me, we don't have it good. Alberta had the highest inflation rate of any province due to an average increase of 57% or something on our insurance last year. I'm 20, ticket free and still paying well over 3 grand for PLPD. When I was 19 it was closer to $3700 or something.

africano
03-20-2004, 08:28 PM
anyone know if ICBC would have a problem with insuring on the west coast?

redbaron303
03-21-2004, 01:41 PM
ICBC will insure RHD JDM cars, providing you get all the necessary paper work, the paper work we provide you with.

They're a pain in the ass to deal with and could take a few days to land solid insurance and registration but they can't refuse you if it's passed the local inspection ;) (Go check out my Silvia being hosted by Bavaria Car Studio in Richmond, Eric there can help you out).

topher91
03-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
first you sell out of the ef's.... now your ditching honda all together :D jk :D

HAHAH......damn.....u remember?! heheeh........Prolly won't do this for a long time yet.......But I'll always love Honda!!! This is just an option for me if I can't afford the turbo this summer.

Honda ow3ns :whipped: me for now!! :D

Chris

redbaron303
03-22-2004, 12:46 AM
As long as your having fun with it ;)