PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid sellers?

G-ZUS
04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Has anyone came across paranoid sellers while buying a vehicle?

Interested in a car listed on AutoTrader, seller will only meet in parking lot and won't give out phone number :dunno: Prefers only to deal via e-mail. Uses a random generic e-mail, [email protected].

A few years, I ran into a similar situation while purchasing a beater off there also. Seller would only meet in a parking lot. Bought the vehicle, and while cleaning it out - I found her cheque book, house keys and cds etc. Someone didn't do a good job cleaning out the car. I called the lady up and offered to drop them off at her house, "I would rather meet you in a public place during the day tomorrow". Bet she didn't sleep that night :dunno:

JohnnyHockey
04-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Maybe they don't carry theft coverage?

lilmira
04-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Do you have to flash your highbeams at the parking lot?

SIC1
04-22-2016, 07:38 PM
yup, many on kijiji. Caveat Emptor.

sometimes Ive passed up "deals" with meeting up as I offered to usually meet at a police parking lot.

Most transactions go without issue, but I don't have time for shady or paranoid sellers. it isn't my loss or stress to deal with.

ExtraSlow
04-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Stolen car. Meet at cop shop.

grampafunk
04-22-2016, 10:29 PM
Goes both ways. Have also had some really shitty buyers as well. . People are plain weird. .

Kijho
04-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Also something to be aware of is sellers looking to scam YOU and hiding all of their person details (phone number, fake email address, not meeting at their house etc.) so when they screw you over - you have literally nothing to be able to find them ever again.

Be weary.. ahh, society seems to shitty looking at things this way :(

JordanAndrew
04-23-2016, 01:29 AM
Don't they have to disclose their address in the bill of sale? You'd also need a witness to sign the bill of sale as well that has to be present, right? You could technically get the signature later or earlier, but it kinda defeats the purpose of "witness".

:dunno:

G-ZUS
04-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Don't they have to disclose their address in the bill of sale? You'd also need a witness to sign the bill of sale as well that has to be present, right? You could technically get the signature later or earlier, but it kinda defeats the purpose of "witness".

:dunno:

Not necessarily, all you need is their name and signature pretty much

Rat Fink
04-23-2016, 08:54 AM

revelations
04-23-2016, 10:43 AM
It depends on vehicle, price of sale, area of home etc. As long as the VIN / CPIC check out ok, I wouldnt worry about a stolen vehicle.

Rocket1k78
04-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I've met several people who should've sold this way. They end up letting crackheads near their home or garage, and within a couple weeks of a kijiji sale they end up having other property stolen. It's extremely common.

Exactly! Kijiji is a blessing and a curse. Ive sold to some good people but for every sale i have to deal with a ton of fakes that just like to pretend to buy shit. I stopped giving my address and real number out years ago. I only give out my phone number once i know you're serious and because of this if i get a brutal lowball ill send back a not so nice reply:D

HiTempguy1
04-23-2016, 02:17 PM
I do not meet anybody at my home or business when selling cars and equipment.

The reason is people can scout out your place in plain site if they come to the house. They see everything you have. Additionally, you don't know how sketchy someone is until you meet them. So sometimes I will meet them close to where I live and then have them follow me to the place if I deem their level of sketchiness acceptable.

01RedDX
04-23-2016, 02:31 PM

raceman6135
04-24-2016, 08:57 AM
I buy and sell a variety of things using Kijiji and other sites, and I get that "hair raised on the back of my neck" feeling when a potential buyer's first communication with me is an e-mail that reads "Where do you live?" No inquiry about if the item is still for sale, or a price offer that's lower than my asking price, no statement such as "I'd like to buy this from you," or even any other questions about the product. Just "Where do you live?"

I don't even reply to those requests.

ExtraSlow
04-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Weird, that's usually my first question, since I don't want to drive 40 minutes to bridlewood unless it's an awesome deal.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2016, 12:18 PM
I'm with raceman, ask about the item first and if you're interested you can worry about location and decide from there.

I flat out ignore emails like that too, and ones that are just impolite in general.

ExtraSlow
04-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Duly noted. I will mindmy p's and q's in the future.

01RedDX
04-24-2016, 12:34 PM

revelations
04-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135
I buy and sell a variety of things using Kijiji and other sites, and I get that "hair raised on the back of my neck" feeling when a potential buyer's first communication with me is an e-mail that reads "Where do you live?" No inquiry about if the item is still for sale, or a price offer that's lower than my asking price, no statement such as "I'd like to buy this from you," or even any other questions about the product. Just "Where do you live?"

I don't even reply to those requests.

That question is totally dependent on the market price. If you've priced it low, then this would be my first question. I wont be haggling or asking details. I would state that I would arrive in X amount of time.

Eg. I bought a barely used HD camcorder for 50$, 1/2hour after seeing the ad this week. The lady was super nice and the whole exchange was 2 minutes long (power up camera).

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Duly noted. I will mindmy p's and q's in the future.

It's all about how you present yourself, "Hello, I'm interested in looking at this, do you happen to be anywhere near xxxxx?" goes a lot further than "Where do you live?" is all. I figure if a person can't present themselves in writing the same way I'd expect them to face to face then they're already not worth dealing with.

botox
04-24-2016, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
It's all about how you present yourself, "Hello, I'm interested in looking at this, do you happen to be anywhere near xxxxx?" goes a lot further than "Where do you live?" is all. I figure if a person can't present themselves in writing the same way I'd expect them to face to face then they're already not worth dealing with.
That's exactly how I respond to ads if I'm interested in something. If I'm selling something and get a reply with "where do you live" I'll just reply back with NW Calgary. I'll only give or ask for the address or meeting location when a deal is confirmed.

Mitsu3000gt
04-24-2016, 08:36 PM
I find it's the buyers that are super annoying. Even if it's a $50 item, the guy wants you to deliver 30 min away or meet you in some place that's not even remotely worth your time. It's hilarious that people seem to expect this to happen, maybe some sellers do it, I have no idea. Then, even if you deliver it, they are like "oh I only have X dollars, can I have it for that?" Fuck off. Never again haha.

sr20s14zenki
04-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

+1, and the main reason is because I always put where I live right in the fucking ad. :banghead:

Another annoying one is "what's your best price?" - when I would have put either "firm" or "obo" in the ad.

"Can you hold this until _______" is another one, I have never had anyone follow through so I will just ignore these as well.

"Is it still available?" is a fairly reasonable question but 9/10 people disappear right after you reply in the affirmative.

I see ALL of these. And they all drive me nuts equally.

Yes i still have the item, can you sleep better at night now? now that you know i still have the thing you were looking for? Im glad that helped you! LOL

To the "whats your best price" thing, i always reply with "whats your best offer? " Never get anything back for that one.

TomcoPDR
04-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Yes i still have the item, can you sleep better at night now? now that you know i still have the thing you were looking for? Im glad that helped you! LOL

:rofl: so true. To be fair. I think it's just a good ice breaker to contact a seller. That or do we say "here, take my money"

Mitsu3000gt
04-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Even when I put in huge bold letters at the beginning of the ad "if the ad is still up, the item is still available", 99% of my emails are just the one liner "Is this still available?" Boggles the mind.

adamc
04-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I find it's the buyers that are super annoying. Even if it's a $50 item, the guy wants you to deliver 30 min away or meet you in some place that's not even remotely worth your time. It's hilarious that people seem to expect this to happen, maybe some sellers do it, I have no idea. Then, even if you deliver it, they are like "oh I only have X dollars, can I have it for that?" Fuck off. Never again haha.

I bought a phone from you, showed up to your apartment's lobby on time, gave you the exact amount you were asking (in cash!) and left without hassle or strife! :D

beyond marketplace ftw, fuck kijiji.

Rocket1k78
04-25-2016, 11:24 AM

I had this same thing happen to me last summer. I was selling an exhaust off an old R1(undertail so its 2 sepereate cans) and the guy said he wanted it. We exchanged numbers and agreed to meet at the coop down the street. 30 minutes before the meet buddy texts me and says he really only needs 1 and asks if i could do better. Right then i shouldve just forgot about him but i didnt and told him i wasnt separating it. We talked back and forth and he finally agreed to take both. We meet up and sure enough buddy starts in on only needing one, im fucking pissed at this point so i give him a better deal to take both and then i hear" i only have $150" when the price we agreed to was $300:banghead:

Even when I put in huge bold letters at the beginning of the ad "if the ad is still up, the item is still available", 99% of my emails are just the one liner "Is this still available?" Boggles the mind.

I put this at the end of all my ads with reply with number and majority of the replies are "still available" and when i reply yes they dont reply back. A couple times ive actually asked them what kind of excitement they got by asking that with no intention to buy lol

Kijiji is like that ex gf you keep bangin because shes amazing in bed but a B in every other way

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by adamc

I bought a phone from you, showed up to your apartment's lobby on time, gave you the exact amount you were asking (in cash!) and left without hassle or strife! :D

beyond marketplace ftw, fuck kijiji.

A+ buyer would deal with again :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I had this same thing happen to me last summer. I was selling an exhaust off an old R1(undertail so its 2 sepereate cans) and the guy said he wanted it. We exchanged numbers and agreed to meet at the coop down the street. 30 minutes before the meet buddy texts me and says he really only needs 1 and asks if i could do better. Right then i shouldve just forgot about him but i didnt and told him i wasnt separating it. We talked back and forth and he finally agreed to take both. We meet up and sure enough buddy starts in on only needing one, im fucking pissed at this point so i give him a better deal to take both and then i hear" i only have $150" when the price we agreed to was $300:banghead:

I put this at the end of all my ads with reply with number and majority of the replies are "still available" and when i reply yes they dont reply back. A couple times ive actually asked them what kind of excitement they got by asking that with no intention to buy lol

Kijiji is like that ex gf you keep bangin because shes amazing in bed but a B in every other way

Haha none of that surprises me in the least. That's standard Kijiji. So annoying. Sadly sometimes it's still the best place to sell some stuff.

The absolute worst is if you have FREE stuff. Most people still want you to deliver or meet up, or they don't show up at all. The only way to do it is just leave it out front of your house so you don't have to waste any more of your own time. I would be downright embarrassed to ask someone to deliver if they were giving something away for free haha, some people have no shame.

Jeeper1986
04-25-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm selling a jeep that was in a rear end so the front is damaged bud shows up looks at the Jeep then when he go to the front he's like oh its been in a front end crash I'm like yeah didn't u see the pics in the ad he's like yeah but didn't think it was this bad