PDA

View Full Version : Calgary to Toronto

ickyflex
04-24-2016, 07:55 PM
I was curious to see if anyone has or knows of people who have moved from DT Calgary to DT Toronto. If so, from what role to what role and how do you compare. Also, if anyone knows of any recruitment firms please drop the name too.

Thanks!

ercchry
04-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Haven't made the move, and don't think I ever would... I do have a bunch of friends and family out here though. there is no comparison at all between Calgary and Toronto downtowns... Toronto is massive in comparison, not quite nyc "never sleeps" scenario.... But a hell of a lot more to do and see than Calgary... Housing is a bit more expensive than Calgary was at its height. I think being in finance and living near Bay Street would be pretty decent, but for me I'd need a summer retreat up north (well... Already have that haha) to be tolerable. The city gets pretty gross in the summer. For day to day life though I think I'd survive okay... Having sushi joints with bluefin as a regular menu item is pretty awesome, cool co-op warehouse conversion condos and stuff, it's a true city life kinda place, so driving a car anywhere near Toronto proper is brutal even off hours.

adamc
04-25-2016, 06:33 AM
I moved to Toronto in the fall of last year, from downtown Calgary. Now living in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood right in the core of Toronto.

Love it, but miss the wide open of Alberta from time to time. And the quiet, I miss the quiet. Toronto is fucking loud, 24-7.

Summer is right around the corner here and that is very exciting. Baseball games are a 10 minute walk away, St. Lawrence market is on my doorstep. The opportunities here outside of my regular petroleum career have been awesome so far, everyone I meet is doing something interesting/building something interesting or otherwise being really creative in their lives.

It's a far cry from so many I know in Calgary who were prematurely old and wanted to settle down in the 'burbs at 29 and ride out their entire lives in O&G.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.

adamc
04-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Also, no joke, but you feel the grip of the government's hand around your neck and in your pocket everywhere you go here.

Taxes, fees, limitations, restrictions - on everything.

Which is my biggest gripe. Albertans enjoy a very palpable freedom that Ontarians do not. Try buying booze after 10pm :bullshit:

ickyflex
04-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by adamc
I moved to Toronto in the fall of last year, from downtown Calgary. Now living in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood right in the core of Toronto......

Thanks for the input you guys.

I was curious how you went about making the move. I've found getting out of O&g into Toronto to be a tough task. I do agree with all your points and I have noticed that but wouldn't mind the change for the time being.

It really is neat to see people do things outside or the Calgary traditional O&g.

ercchry
04-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Try buying booze after 10pm :bullshit:

It's even worse in smaller towns... Like scotch? Good luck on that one :rofl:

I toss a couple bottles in my suitcase every summer when I go out, selection is painful... I have noticed that the lcbo is carrying more and more craft beers though

anarchy
04-25-2016, 10:30 AM
I made the move from DT Calgary to DT Toronto in January, coming up on 4 months here. I live in Yorkville (Bloor and Yonge) which is still considered downtown but further north.

Happy to share any info or answer any questions but yeah, it's what you'd expect. Tons of things to do, lots of amazing food options, tons of sports (which I personally love), and overall just that big city feel.

But the wind...goddamn that wind lol. People joke about how I'm from Calgary so I must be used to super cold temperatures but I find Toronto colder. The weather reports are deceiving - I usually find it FEELS 10 degrees colder than it says it is, the wind chill can be bone chilling.

But, overall a great city. Lots of local pride and lots of opportunities. When I was looking for a new role, maybe 1 out of 10 were in Calgary, the rest were in Toronto.

Oh...the tax sucks big time haha.

austic
04-25-2016, 11:00 AM
How did you go about gaining employment in Toronto? just apply and fly out for interviews?

anarchy
04-25-2016, 03:15 PM
I got a job before moving. I applied online and did phone and Skype interviews. It's definitely harder to get a job out here when you don't live local, but I lucked out as the person who hired me worked with me briefly when he contracted at Shaw (my previous employer).

sputnik
04-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Albertans enjoy a very palpable freedom that Ontarians do not.

... for now

Hallowed_point
04-25-2016, 08:43 PM
No way. Wouldn't recommend. Between the weather, people, traffic, ugly downtown I can't think of a single upside. Wait, they have a good transit system.

know1edge
04-25-2016, 09:03 PM

SIC1
04-28-2016, 08:16 PM
born and raised tdot/6ix/torontonian.

I go to Toronto for the 3 F

Food, Family and Friends in that order

I hate toronto for the 4 Ts

TRAFFIC, Taxes, Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Maple leaf fans.

big city has so many options but your competing with assholes and with a size like the GTA there's a lot of them.

zooter
05-09-2016, 10:57 AM
This is an interesting thread and a question I have been pondering myself.

For those that have made the move, was there a big discrepancy in salary? Being in O&G myself, I would anticipate having to take atleast a 20% pay cut to work in Toronto but I could be wrong. Just what I have heard.

Also, what kind of jobs are there for someone with a technical and business background? That might sound like a fairly obvious question as there are a ton of companies in the GTA, but here in Calgary if you are an engineer and then move into commercial or business development, the career paths are pretty common. Not sure which role(s) one could break into in the GTA. Seems like there are a lot of pharmaceutical and mining companies, but then again there are a ton of other industries too.

austic
10-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by zooter
This is an interesting thread and a question I have been pondering myself.

For those that have made the move, was there a big discrepancy in salary? Being in O&G myself, I would anticipate having to take atleast a 20% pay cut to work in Toronto but I could be wrong. Just what I have heard.

Also, what kind of jobs are there for someone with a technical and business background? That might sound like a fairly obvious question as there are a ton of companies in the GTA, but here in Calgary if you are an engineer and then move into commercial or business development, the career paths are pretty common. Not sure which role(s) one could break into in the GTA. Seems like there are a lot of pharmaceutical and mining companies, but then again there are a ton of other industries too.

Anyone have experience with this? I was headhunted by a Toronto company on Bay Street and they want to discuss salaries, I am not sure how they compare to Calgary or what sort of moving allowance I should negotiate? Any helpful places to look for information?

RT16V
10-19-2016, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by austic

Anyone have experience with this? I was headhunted by a Toronto company on Bay Street and they want to discuss salaries, I am not sure how they compare to Calgary or what sort of moving allowance I should negotiate? Any helpful places to look for information?

We see 10% difference in salary between Calgary and Toronto. This is for non O&G engineering which is approximately 20-30% lower in Calgary for us. It may not be the same in your industry. It appears to be a more competitive market out there with the large population.

Kobe
10-19-2016, 09:47 PM
one of my best buds went from oil and gas in calgary to solar in toronto he says he loves toronto but it might be cause he has a job now

:rofl: :rofl: