PDA

View Full Version : driving with an antique license plate question.

master hec0
04-24-2016, 09:00 PM
I recently picked up an old Benz and I'm wondering if registering it as an antique vehicle would work for me.

the law states
(4) An antique motor vehicle may only be
(a) used as a collector’s item for transportation to and from
and for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or
similar events, or
(b) driven to and from a garage or service station for repairs
or servicing.

Now the fun part.
I work as a mechanic so technically the vehicle will be driven to and from a service station where it may be getting repairs. (and i will have a primary vehicle registered as well)

has anyone ever tried this and/or ever been ticketed for using the antique plate outside of the listed criteria and if so how much was the ticket?

Edit: found the answer to my ticket question.
57(3)
Use registered antique motor vehicle as general
transportation - $115

jacky4566
04-24-2016, 09:55 PM
I have never heard of someone getting ticketed for violating 57(3). What cop would ever check that? Too busy giving out window tint tickets :rofl:

What you really to consider is if you get caught in an accident outside of those parameters. Your insurance company would close the door to you and potentially leave you with a huge expense/ medical bills.

flipstah
04-24-2016, 10:07 PM
I only drive my Rover on car meets or events, such as trips to Waiparous or Maclean Creek.

A Beyond meet is technically a car event.

master hec0
04-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
I have never heard of someone getting ticketed for violating 57(3). What cop would ever check that? Too busy giving out window tint tickets :rofl:

What you really to consider is if you get caught in an accident outside of those parameters. Your insurance company would close the door to you and potentially leave you with a huge expense/ medical bills.

ah I should have been more clear. I am going to insure it under a standard policy this will purely be a registration thing. I am basically weighing in on if I'll get a ticket once every 16 months (90/yr for regular registration vs $35 one time fee for antique plate)

ercchry
04-24-2016, 10:18 PM
I have collectors coverage on my Datsun, no restrictions, $35/yr.... Can modify, and full coverage. Probably the way to go if you have a secondary vehicle

master hec0
04-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
I have collectors coverage on my Datsun, no restrictions, $35/yr.... Can modify, and full coverage. Probably the way to go if you have a secondary vehicle

my broker wants an appraisal,photos of the vehicle and it must be garage stored to go on collectors insurance. who are you with?
I currently have 3 vehicles insured with Intact this would be a 4th at an additional $400/yr PLPD

ercchry
04-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Ya with intact, touchstone is my broker... It does live in a garage, but I don't think that was a question... I had to take 5 photos but that's it, its insured for what I paid for it and if I want to increase the value then I'd have to get an appraisal

master hec0
04-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Ya with intact, touchstone is my broker... It does live in a garage, but I don't think that was a question... I had to take 5 photos but that's it, its insured for what I paid for it and if I want to increase the value then I'd have to get an appraisal

are you covered under legends?

http://legendsinsurance.com/about_legends/index.htm

ercchry
04-24-2016, 10:43 PM
Don't think so? I just got my renewal and it had a pamphlet saying collectors coverage in it

speedog
04-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I only drive my Rover on car meets or events, such as trips to Waiparous or Maclean Creek.

A Beyond meet is technically a car event.

Beyond meets are still a thing?

jacky4566
04-24-2016, 10:46 PM

That sounds wayyy to good to be true. $35/yr full coverage no restrictions? Almost always collectors coverage has a km limit.

Maybe i need to call maskedbandit for my datsun then!

ercchry
04-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

That sounds wayyy to good to be true. $35/yr full coverage no restrictions? Almost always collectors coverage has a km limit.

Maybe i need to call maskedbandit for my datsun then!

I mean I can't commute with it (insure as "for pleasure"), and to cover all the money I've put into it since purchase would require an appraisal... But yeah, $35/yr for it haha

master hec0
04-24-2016, 10:56 PM

I mean I can't commute with it (insure as "for pleasure"), and to cover all the money I've put into it since purchase would require an appraisal... But yeah, $35/yr for it haha

sounds like a great deal.

hopefully masked bandit will chime in on this one.

mrsingh
04-24-2016, 11:30 PM
$35 a year? My Vette was $500 a year for an agreed upon value with Hagerty. I didn't require an appraisal, just pictures to show it was stock and in the condition I had told them.

In regards to the Antique plate, I wonder how the police officer would prove you weren't driving from an event or a service shop?

ercchry
04-25-2016, 12:07 AM
Your vette was probably worth a bit more than my car haha... After I paint it I'm going to get an appraisal and see what happens, under $500 a year and I will still be happy, still cheaper than a motorcycle is a great deal

master hec0
04-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Followed up with my broker. This car can be insured for $79/year!

Only requirement is pictures and a valid insurance inspection.
I'll post again if I ever get ticketed for my classic plate :rofl:

flipstah
04-25-2016, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Beyond meets are still a thing?

On the off-road thread, it is. That is, when there is one and the truck runs haha.

Mine is $50/yr for comprehensive

mrsingh
04-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Your vette was probably worth a bit more than my car haha... After I paint it I'm going to get an appraisal and see what happens, under $500 a year and I will still be happy, still cheaper than a motorcycle is a great deal

I think your 510 is sweet! The nice thing about this policy is I can even drive the car to work as long as it is less than 20x a year. So I can drive it to work on nice Fridays in the summer, I am looking forward to it!