PDA

View Full Version : Canadian beheaded in Phillipines.

ZenOps
04-26-2016, 10:02 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/phillippine-troops-hunt-hostage-takers-1.3553049

ISIS wanted $19.2 million dollars.

On a side note, ISIS are solid racists, asking $10,000 for phillipine locals, but a solid million baseline for anyone with a North American passport. I shudder to think what my head would be worth.

rage2
04-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I shudder to think what my head would be worth.
2 million nickels.

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2016, 10:29 AM
They ask for money based on what they think the family/country of the kidnapped individual can pay, and they do usually let you go once they get paid.

I've read several books on this kind of thing now (mostly Somalia though, where it's very prevalent), and it's amazing how rich they think they average North American or European is. The ransoms usually start absurdly high (several million), and then through negotiation (months, years) get much lower. Sometimes ransoms are paid "quietly" via money drops from planes by countries that claim not to negotiate with terrorists. Sometimes the families hire hostage ransom negotiators from private security firms. For example the famous Amanda Lindhout kidnapping ended like that - her family and the other guy she was taken with's family paid $600K plus fees to negotiators after many months. In their case, the government at one point offered $250K of "expense money" to help, so it wouldn't be classified as a ransom payment.

It's scary stuff though, you're pretty much on your own unless you're rich, or American (In 2012, for example, after 3 months Obama authorized the SEALs to rescue Jessica Buchanan from Somalia and it was very successful, and everyone knows about Captain Phillips - Canada doesn't seem to do stuff like that). I have no desire to ever go to those parts of the world haha.

J.M.
04-26-2016, 10:55 AM
My parents were born and raised in the Philippines and would never go to this part of the country.

adam c
04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
I went to the Philippines and while we stayed in the north part where this typically doesn't happen the thought was always in the back of my mind especially because we brought our daughter... It's scary to think of and I almost cancelled the vacation in 2013

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2016, 11:05 AM
What makes it so bad is it's not really "wrong place wrong time" in these areas of the world, you are an actual target, and are sought out.

bjstare
04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
I find it silly people put themselves in these situations. You couldn't pay me to travel to a place where hostage taking is (relatively) commonplace. I'll err on the side of being boring, thank you very much.

n1zm0
04-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Before the Malaysian government reclaimed it as a national park, my aunt used to have a business on an island in the Celebes sea off the South Eastern Sabah coast, it was held up by Abu Sayyaf multiple times with hostages taken for ransom, they also came at night to steal outboard boat engines too.

Besides the conservation factor, the government also wanted to limit the area to people because they were getting kidnapped every so often by them, the MNLF or just pirates in general, I even remember seeing a Malaysian navy frigate on patrol everyday when we were there. They are scum, Abu Sayyaf and the MNLF, the whole southern Philippines area is a lawless and corrupt region.

Hallowed_point
04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Even when the Filipino dude is trying to sound intimidating in the video it would be hard not to laugh. I suppose the assault rifle & machete help stifle the humorous accent.

I would personally never visit that country. Not unless I was armed to the teeth arnie style. Stand out like a sore thumb = kidnapped.

Same goes for staying in resorts. How hard do you think it is for 10 guys with assault rifle to overwhelm the security forces?

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Same goes for staying in resorts. How hard do you think it is for 10 guys with assault rifle to overwhelm the security forces?

That's happened in Tunisia what, 3 times now in the last year or so? And one in the Ivory Coast and another in Mali? Easy targets.

I'm perfectly happy with my vacations to Hawaii, Mexico, etc. haha

dandia89
04-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That's happened in Tunisia what, 3 times now in the last year or so? And one in the Ivory Coast and another in Mali? Easy targets.

I'm perfectly happy with my vacations to Hawaii, Mexico, etc. haha

especially in resorts. nothing massively different between them

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dandia89

especially in resorts. nothing massively different between them

Very true. If you aren't leaving the resort, it makes little difference where you are if you just want to chill on a beach, hang out in a pool, and sip drinks all day. I think Africa is popular for Russian and European tourists though, who are further away from the Caribbean. I'd still rather fly the extra few hours though haha.

bjstare
04-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Very true. If you aren't leaving the resort, it makes little difference where you are if you just want to chill on a beach, hang out in a pool, and sip drinks all day. I think Africa is popular for Russian and European tourists though, who are further away from the Caribbean. I'd still rather fly the extra few hours though haha.

Except for the fact that Hawaii and Mexico are actually incredibly different, from almost every respect except weather at certain times of the year haha. :hijack:

flipstah
04-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
My parents were born and raised in the Philippines and would never go to this part of the country.

Same. The southern part is nuts. Bombings and shit like this.

I've only been there once and it's lovely. But not worth the risk.

The rule is: Crossing past Zamboanga is a roll of the dice. Have fun.

Hopefully, a new President will bring peace, by changing our government to federalism, similar to Canada.

Mitsu3000gt
04-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Except for the fact that Hawaii and Mexico are actually incredibly different, from almost every respect except weather at certain times of the year haha. :hijack:

Well I wasn't using those two to compare to all inclusives, per se - they are totally different I agree. I've been to Mexico/Cuba/Dominican though and inside the resorts there was almost zero difference if you are the beach bum type.

flipstah
04-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Philippines is one of the safer beach destinations IMO. Just not that part near Malaysia haha.

Kloubek
04-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I would personally never visit that country. Not unless I was armed to the teeth arnie style.

It's almost as safe as any other country - just not in the south. I know a guy who went back home to Mindanao and wouldn't go out without his gun. It's the same reason if you or I walked around in the worst parts of Chicago or Detroit at night we'd also probably feel better carrying too.

Difference being is that those who might attack you in Southern Philippines are likely carrying assault rifles. Wait... maybe you'd get that in the States too. Ok - well, in Southern Philippines they might behead you rather than just kill you.

The rest of the Philippines is really quite safe. You see fairly tight security at the malls, etc - but attacks are rare anywhere than in Mindanao.

max_boost
04-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Things can happen anywhere.

freshprince1
04-26-2016, 05:06 PM
I spent two years in the backcountry of islands in mid/south Eastern Philippines, on Leyte and Samar, just north of Mindanao (where all the kidnappings usually happen). It was truly and adventure, and the people were fantastic. Other than a couple run ins with drunk jungle farmers, there were no incidents.

The Abu Sayyaf stay in the deep south, as the rest of the country is 99% Catholic don't put up with their BS. The rest of the country is pretty safe for the most part if you use common sense (i.e. stay out of sketchy areas in big cities late at night, etc). The group I was with does not send Caucasians to the deep south for this very reason. There were rumoured to be Abu Sayyaf on the island I was on, but they do not conduct any operations like this outside of their strongholds...or so I was told.

There are a lot of stereotypes of how rich we all are over here...but to a family that lives in a bamboo hut and works as farm labour or fisherman...the fact that you own a car is absolutely mind boggling to them.

I had some run ins with the rebel political faction, the NPA (New People's Army), that's a whole other story...but they're primarily a communist group that's against the government. Other than extorting "safety payments" from local businesses they only are violent against the army, and not a threat to foreigners.

This story has really hit me hard. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the innocent victim. The Philippines needs some real help from the West to rid them of the unwashed buttholes that call themselves Abu Sayyaf.

J.M.
04-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

The rest of the Philippines is really quite safe. You see fairly tight security at the malls, etc - but attacks are rare anywhere than in Mindanao.

:werd: The security guy at the local Jolibee in my parents town had a gun haha. I also noticed a lot of ex military guys in town that last time I visited, mostly from Virginia. No one hassled them and they got along with everyone else just fine.

My parents hometown is close to the former Subic Bay US Naval Base so when I go back to visit I'm usually hanging around there or gambling with my dad at the local cockpit arena :rofl: :rofl:

flipstah
04-26-2016, 07:13 PM
NPA is alright. They're just commies haha.

It's the fundamentalists near Sabah/Sulu or the deep southern region near Indonesia/Malaysia.

Lots of territorial battles around that area.

Otherwise, all the beaches are full of fat Aussies looking for a hole. Any hole.

Also: We all speak English somewhat, so we'll rip you off in front of your face. That's honesty you have to love.

adam c
04-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Otherwise, all the beaches are full of fat Aussies looking for a hole. Any hole.

When i was there all i saw were Chinese, I think i saw more Chinese than Filipinos actually

flipstah
04-26-2016, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by adam c

When i was there all i saw were Chinese, I think i saw more Chinese than Filipinos actually

Chinese people are richer than before. Makes sense.

Buster
04-26-2016, 08:16 PM
If you really want to visit the Philippines, just head down to the park by my house at 2pm.

TomcoPDR
04-27-2016, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Buster
If you really want to visit the Philippines, just head down to the park by my house at 2pm.

You live in Bridlewood/ Evergreen I take it?

Feruk
04-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
The Philippines needs some real help from the West to rid them of the unwashed buttholes that call themselves Abu Sayyaf.
Why don't they just do it themselves? Is this group so powerful that the government can't tackle them? Curious as I know very little about these guys.

bjstare
04-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Buster
If you really want to visit the Philippines, just head down to the park by my house at 2pm. :rofl:

flipstah
04-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

Why don't they just do it themselves? Is this group so powerful that the government can't tackle them? Curious as I know very little about these guys.

They're funded by Al Qaeda(sp?) and are really solidified in the southern part.

The Philippine Army aren't equipped to deal with them, hence a strong relation with the USA.

Plus the southern side is dense jungle and lots of vegetation. If you're unfamiliar with the surroundings, you're just a moving target.

n1zm0
04-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

Originally posted by flipstah
They're funded by Al Qaeda(sp?) and are really solidified in the southern part.

Not to mention that basically any breakaway Moro fundamentalist group will also fight for them or share arms with them(most people don't know just how huge the illegal gun manufacturing industry is in the Philippines (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fna9WEO6BjE)) , MNLF/MILF/Kiram Sulu followers/even the commies have all fought alongside and plotted terrorist acts with AS.

Thankfully they didn't get involved in the Lahad Datu standoff 3 years ago with Kiram, but I'm sure they know not to fk around on another country's soil against a better funded/trained military.