PDA

View Full Version : AMG Boss says "We need to break the rules and do something nobody expects".

Darkane
04-26-2016, 10:34 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/26/mercedes-amg-considering-ferrari-fighting-supercar/

Mid engine Ferrari fighter?

Oh boy this could be insane.

Rant: All these manufacturers who start headlines like this already have something in the works. I mean it takes 4-5 years from conception to production for cars. If he says this now and it's released in 2019, they already have a prototype.

Then again they could wait for the next round of cars say 2021 before they release. All the current supercars seem to be released at the same time.
-Huracan
-R8
-675 and 570
-NSX

Canmorite
04-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Hopefully it's on the same level as the CLK-GTR and SLR of years past. The SLR is still one of my favourite Mercedes (ya ya, Merc-Mclaren).

Sugarphreak
04-26-2016, 10:47 AM

rage2
04-26-2016, 10:57 AM
AMG gotta make up its mind (or bloggers gotta stop taking quotes out of context). As recently as the Detroit auto show, Tobias Moers has said AMG is not building a supercar as it doesn't fit within the Mercedes-Benz/AMG's target market.

According to Moers, the focus for AMG right now is better efficiency, which means we're going to start seeing performance hybrid powertrains as the next step for AMG. The next new new platform due out is the MFA2 platform (A, B, CLA, GLA, GLB as well as Nissan/Infiniti) so the expectation is that's the new platform that'll first get the performance hybrid setup as R&D costs can be shared with Nissan.

rage2
04-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
How about they put manuals back in their cars... nobody would expect that and it breaks all the rules of being lame
If you want a manual AMG, go pick up an Aston Martin with AMG engines before they discontinue them due to low demand. :rofl:

klumsy_tumbler
04-26-2016, 10:59 AM
How about they put manuals back in their cars... nobody would expect that and it breaks all the rules of being lame

:werd:

Darkane
04-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by rage2
AMG gotta make up its mind (or bloggers gotta stop taking quotes out of context). As recently as the Detroit auto show, Tobias Moers has said AMG is not building a supercar as it doesn't fit within the Mercedes-Benz/AMG's target market.

According to Moers, the focus for AMG right now is better efficiency, which means we're going to start seeing performance hybrid powertrains as the next step for AMG. The next new new platform due out is the MFA2 platform (A, B, CLA, GLA, GLB as well as Nissan/Infiniti) so the expectation is that's the new platform that'll first get the performance hybrid setup as R&D costs can be shared with Nissan.

So 4cyl turbo hybrids?

I heard Nissan is considering hybrid for the new Z platform. Those won't be based on the MFA2.

Doesn't add up

Xtrema
04-26-2016, 11:35 AM
We need to break the rules and do something nobody expects

From now on all Mercedes are AMGs including panel vans and trucks.

:rofl:

killramos
04-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Release a real hot hatch in NA? No one expects that!

I'll go on record as saying the day we get an A45 is the day I will place an order.

GLA is very good but lets stop the bullshit and just sell the real thing. A45 black and we would really be talking.

Hallowed_point
04-26-2016, 12:35 PM
How about they put manuals back in their cars... nobody would expect that and it breaks all the rules of being lame :clap:

The face of a macan owner was priceless when I told him it's too bad that the 911 we spotted is an automatic "it's a PDK!!" :whipped:

rage2
04-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
So 4cyl turbo hybrids?

I heard Nissan is considering hybrid for the new Z platform. Those won't be based on the MFA2.

Doesn't add up
Yes, 4cyl turbo hybrids. Nissan's hybrid plans for Z or GTR is completely unrelated to the hybrid drivetrains for the MFA based cars.

Redlined_8000
04-26-2016, 01:11 PM

AMG does not do manuals. Does not suit the personality of what the car is.

Canmorite
04-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

AMG does not do manuals. Does not suit the personality of what the car is.

When was the last manual AMG car? I can't even picture it...SLK AMG?

rage2
04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
When was the last manual AMG car? I can't even picture it...SLK AMG?
SLK non AMG's had manual, all SLK32 AMGs were fitted with 5 speed AMG auto. You'd have to look further back than that. Probably the 190E 3.2 AMG? I think that was available with a manual. The 190E 16V's were pre AMG so they don't count. I'll have to check my AMG bible when I get home, I think you can count the manual cars on one hand. Even their racecars that AMG first built were all autos.

kaput
04-26-2016, 03:34 PM

HiTempguy1
04-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Release a real hot hatch in NA? No one expects that!

How about a manual transmission, rwd coupe? A z4 competitor, not like that weak-suck c230 they used to have.

Xtrema
04-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

How about a manual transmission, rwd coupe? A z4 competitor, not like that weak-suck c230 they used to have.

c230 were never z4 competitor, that's the SLK, now SLC.

Darkane
04-26-2016, 06:59 PM
id love to see a mid engine Cayman fighter instead of Ferrari. They have the engine 2L 375hp. Throw it in 3000lbs and voila.