PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage 6" polisher on sale

Strider
04-29-2016, 11:14 AM
$140 - regular $200 on Amazon, $210-$225 from local retailers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Griots-Garage-10813STDCRD-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B009UKUUWE

3nergiz3d
04-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Strider
$140 - regular $200 on Amazon, $210-$225 from local retailers.

https://www.amazon.ca/Griots-Garage-10813STDCRD-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B009UKUUWE

Good find! Do you know if this is the 3rd Gen or the Original?

Cooked Rice
04-29-2016, 11:57 AM
That's a decent price, although before our loonie tanked, that was how much they use to be regular.

Mine has held up pretty good with lots of use over the last 2 years. Although I would also consider this one from Waxed Shine which would be a bit more comfortable and ergonomic, the slow start feature is also nice. And comes with 3 pads and a bag. Pretty good value for a beginner.
http://www.carzilla.ca/waxedshine/da9000w-dual-action-polisher-complete-kit

Strider
04-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 3nergiz3d
Good find! Do you know if this is the 3rd Gen or the Original?

The model number, pics, and description would all suggest 3rd gen. Could always take screenshots and get a refund if it turns out to be an older one.

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
That's a decent price, although before our loonie tanked, that was how much they use to be regular.

Yup, but unfortunately the dollar hasn't been at par for over 2 years now and it doesn't look like it's returning for a while. That said, looks like it's been as low as $80USD during Amazon.com lightning deals (although this in no way means there will be any better deal in Canada any time soon).

Couldn't find much info on the waxedshine unit, they don't have much of an online presence and even less established reputation / reviews on detailing forums. Also 600W vs 850W, although I don't have any experience to know whether this makes any difference.

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2016, 01:53 PM

The model number, pics, and description would all suggest 3rd gen. Could always take screenshots and get a refund if it turns out to be an older one.

You don't need proof to return stuff on Amazon, just check the "item not as described" box in the return process, they don't ask any questions, and they pay the return shipping :)

Does anyone know if foam pads for a Porter Cable 7424 would fit this polisher? I found a bunch the other day that I need to sell haha.

Strider
04-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
You don't need proof to return stuff on Amazon, just check the "item not as described" box in the return process, they don't ask any questions, and they pay the return shipping :)

Does anyone know if foam pads for a Porter Cable 7424 would fit this polisher? I found a bunch the other day that I need to sell haha.

True, shouldn't be an issue in this case since it's sold by and fulfilled by Amazon. I'd go through the extra steps if it was a 3rd party seller just in case they try to pull a fast one (somewhat jaded by stories of Chinese websites).

Is it this kind of pad with built in plate and screw?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81-9f-GN3bL._SL1500_.jpg

Or are they hook and loop pads that you stick to a backing plate like these guys?
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/532f3360e4b0137f6ac7a627/532f47e7e4b07cecfd93bb6d/5383fb42e4b01f43fc27d2bb/1401158468114/lake-country-hybrid-orange-blue-white-black-polishing-pads.jpg

If they're hook and loop, it depends on the size - this polisher comes with a 6" backing plate, which means 6.5" pads are ideal. I might be interested in picking them up off you, depending how aggressive they are.

bjstare
04-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Got the polisher, cutting pad, waxing pad for $165 all in. (I signed up for the Amazon visa that doesn't charge forex fee for an additional $20 credit - been planning on doing this for a while anyhow).

Thanks for posting this up, OP!

Strider
04-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Got the polisher, cutting pad, waxing pad for $165 all in. (I signed up for the Amazon visa that doesn't charge forex fee for an additional $20 credit - been planning on doing this for a while anyhow).

Thanks for posting this up, OP!

:thumbsup: Hope you managed to pick it up before it got backordered (3-5 weeks to ship now).

I need to do a bit of research before I buy pads, no idea what I need yet. Luckily prices aren't bad buying those locally, so I'll look to use one of our fine sponsors for that.

bjstare
04-29-2016, 02:48 PM

:thumbsup: Hope you managed to pick it up before it got backordered (3-5 weeks to ship now).

When I was ordering it said it would ship within the week.

My confirmation, however, says I'll recieve it by June. :rofl: :banghead:

licketysplit
04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
For those interested, there is another version of the polisher with a 25-foot cord instead of the 10-foot cord. It costs $15 more, but it still shows "In Stock".

https://www.amazon.ca/Griots-Garage-10813LNGCRD-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B009UKUURO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461968732&sr=8-2&keywords=Griot%27s+Garage+10813LNGCRD

I actually just bought this from amazon about three weeks ago for $213. After seeing this thread I asked amazon if they would refund the price difference. They said they only price match for 7 days after delivery, but I could return it. It seems like a strange system to me, but I'm shipping one back and buying another.

I recently joined beyond, but I've just been lurking. This thread saved me some money. Thanks beyond.ca!

Cooked Rice
04-29-2016, 05:10 PM
http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/applicationguide/lakecountry-pad-application-guide.pdf

Orange, green and blue are my most used foam pads. However I'm starting to use microfiber pads a lot more, because it cuts faster. Pad cleaner is a good idea too, although I'm sure there's some make your own recipes out there.

Cleaning spent polish was the biggest PITA when I started off. My trick is: Wash up the pad in the sink(with cleaner), rinse with clean water, wring it out as best as you can by hand, then I attached it to the orbital and hold it horizontally with the pad as deep in a bucket as possible, turn it on low speed, slowly turn it up, and it flings all the excess water out. The pad will now be the perfectly damp to get right back to polishing.

The 850 watts is lots, I was able to slap on some Rayon pads and cut glass with it. Took a bit longer than a rotary, but it worked.

My dilemma right now is a BOSS 21mm or a Rupes. I think for the minimal price difference is to get a Rupes.

HiSpec
05-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/applicationguide/lakecountry-pad-application-guide.pdf

Orange, green and blue are my most used foam pads. However I'm starting to use microfiber pads a lot more, because it cuts faster. Pad cleaner is a good idea too, although I'm sure there's some make your own recipes out there.

Cleaning spent polish was the biggest PITA when I started off. My trick is: Wash up the pad in the sink(with cleaner), rinse with clean water, wring it out as best as you can by hand, then I attached it to the orbital and hold it horizontally with the pad as deep in a bucket as possible, turn it on low speed, slowly turn it up, and it flings all the excess water out. The pad will now be the perfectly damp to get right back to polishing.

The 850 watts is lots, I was able to slap on some Rayon pads and cut glass with it. Took a bit longer than a rotary, but it worked.

My dilemma right now is a BOSS 21mm or a Rupes. I think for the minimal price difference is to get a Rupes.

Great choice with the Rupes and cleaning pads on-the-fly!!

Here's a video regarding cleaning pad between pads and post-detail MF pads cleaning by Ammo NYC

19ib5MOv9xQ

Happy detailing!! :clap:

schocker
05-02-2016, 10:24 AM
I bought the 3" 10ft because I already have the 6" and it already arrived this morning! Just need to order some new pads for this size. :burnout: