PDA

View Full Version : Idiots driving with high-beams and burned out brake lights *rant*

S-FLY
05-01-2016, 11:57 PM
This is a two part rant..

I'm really sick of driving around Calgary at night only to be blinded by complete idiots that have their high-beams on facing oncoming traffic. Like, driving around downtown, there's no need for you to have your high beams on and blind everyone. Even when you flash your high-beams at them, they don't seem to pick up on the clue that they're blinding you. When you get your license in Alberta, do they not teach you what the blue light in the gauge cluster means when you turn on your high beams?

Lastly, I've also been noticing a lot of vehicles with burned out brake lights. Most vehicles have 3 brake lights. It's quite often I'm behind someone where 2 out of those 3 are burned out. When was the last time you checked to see if your brake lights worked? (helpful tip: if you want to check them and you're by yourself, just back up to the window of a store and you can see your brake lights in the rearview).

/end rant.

:banghead:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/stanyoung/2016-05-08_12-22-11_zps5blzmrvj.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/stanyoung/media/2016-05-08_12-22-11_zps5blzmrvj.jpg.html)

btimbit
05-02-2016, 12:02 AM
I'm always so paranoid of having a brake light burnt out. I probably check them at least twice a month

S-FLY
05-02-2016, 12:09 AM
You're the exception. :) My old IS300 had a light that illuminated to tell you if one of the rear lights were out. I wish every car had this.

Brent.ff
05-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Adding an LED bar does wonders for the high beam flash response time

sr20s14zenki
05-02-2016, 06:10 AM
Im sick of people not knowing what daytime running lights and actual head lights are.

Hallowed_point
05-02-2016, 08:24 AM
It's even funnier when you give them a cycle of on off flashes to turn the lights on and they just mat it to escape :banghead: :confused: And yes on DRL vs head lights haha

Swank
05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by S-FLY
My old IS300 had a light that illuminated to tell you if one of the rear lights were out. What happens when that light burns out :rofl:

I'm still amazed how many lights are wired up wrong, I've seen many where the brake light is on in one marker UNLESS the brakes are applied, then the rest light up and the odd ball goes out. I've seen a couple wired up so the reverse lights come on too when braking which scares the crap out of me when I'm right behind them :eek: You just know there's a hack job in the wiring in there somewhere :banghead:

Agent_Oorange
05-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Adding an LED bar does wonders for the high beam flash response time

:rofl: :rofl:

S-FLY
05-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Swank
What happens when that light burns out :rofl:

I'm still amazed how many lights are wired up wrong, I've seen many where the brake light is on in one marker UNLESS the brakes are applied, then the rest light up and the odd ball goes out. I've seen a couple wired up so the reverse lights come on too when braking which scares the crap out of me when I'm right behind them :eek: You just know there's a hack job in the wiring in there somewhere :banghead:

When that light burns out, you basically just set the car on fire.

Maxx Mazda
05-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by S-FLY

When that light burns out, you basically just set the car on fire.

Won't that turn on the light that tells you when the car is on fire? :dunno:

ExtraSlow
05-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Swank
What happens when that light burns out :rofl:

Some of those two filament bulbs can be installed backwards, and that creates the exact scenario you describe.
Wiring can be fine.

InRich
05-02-2016, 10:12 PM
wow your so right OP! and I've also noticed this, especially lately. and almost always asian too.

so I dont blink flash em anymore. done with that. for the past month or so, if I see you with your high beams in my on coming traffic I will turn mine on, and aim em (my BMW has aimers when turning the wheel) directly at em. believe it or not, I've had people immediately turn theirs off. weird right? almost as if they realize their a fucking shit bag instantly.

then again my high beams are seriously blinding.

jwslam
05-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by InRich
my high beams are seriously blinding.
My squinty Asian eyes are immune to your high beams

InRich
05-03-2016, 11:05 AM
^bahahaha! that made my morning, lol! nicely done :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
05-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Do you know for sure they're high beams? I've noticed some car's low beams are as bright as other cars' high beams, and also if it's a truck or SUV that happens to be right in line with your eyes, it can look way brighter than it would be normally. In my last S4, people would flash me all the time thinking I had my high beams on, and I didn't, so there wasn't much I could do haha. I could flash them my actual high beams to show them, but that would be even more dangerous.

firebane
05-03-2016, 11:32 AM
The fact is simply that since cars are so automated and mind numbing now and you don't have to remember to do something like turn on your actual lights people don't care.

Cars to most people are just an item to get from point A to point B and anything outside of that.. oh well.

I saw a guy pull over yesterday as his car was making such a horrendous noise it sound like it run low or out of oil and it was clattering away so bad.

lamp_shade_2000
05-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Do you know for sure they're high beams? I've noticed some car's low beams are as bright as other cars' high beams, and also if it's a truck or SUV that happens to be right in line with your eyes, it can look way brighter than it would be normally. In my last S4, people would flash me all the time thinking I had my high beams on, and I didn't, so there wasn't much I could do haha. I could flash them my actual high beams to show them, but that would be even more dangerous.

This. I rented a Ford edge to take to BC a few weeks ago and driving at night around calgary the night I picked it up I had multiple people high beaming me to tell me my brights were on. Anytime I rent a car I pull over somewhere to test functions including high beams and sure enough the lows were just super bright. Was really annoying driving down dark roads with high beams flashing at me.

My GF's grand cherokee came with auto high beams that would adjust between low and hi as needed. That was really irritating cause anytime you were on a residential road they would flip to hi beam blinding people. That got turned off on the first night of owning it.

austic
05-03-2016, 12:46 PM
I get flashed all the time. I have the upgraded lights in my benz with the active light assist... Its bright without the high beams on and light of god with them.

sexualbanana
05-03-2016, 01:15 PM
I think most of the time the brake lights aren't on because the driver didn't turn them on or mistake DRLs for night lights. Which is a major pet peeve of mine because that makes the car so difficult to see at night.

I drove a buddy's truck home one night, so I turn on his lights and he says "Those are the high-beams".

I respond "No. These are your high beams" as I click them on. "These are your headlights and these are your day running lights."

His mind was blown.

toastgremlin
05-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I drove a buddy's truck home one night, so I turn on his lights and he says "Those are the high-beams".

I respond "No. These are your high beams" as I click them on. "These are your headlights and these are your day running lights."

His mind was blown. Instant license revocation on the spot and fifty days in the gulag.

Sentry
05-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Instant license revocation on the spot and fifty days in the gulag.
This, my god.

I see so many idiots driving around on DRLs at night. :facepalm:

zieg
05-03-2016, 11:58 PM
I fucking hate this. I'm going to install a PA system so I can start yelling at people. I equally detest those who drive around with the highbeams on, or the DRLs.

Personally I blame modern dash layouts. Back in the day, if you didn't turn on your headlights you couldn't see your dash and it made it impossible to forget. Now so many of them are backlit and basically look exactly the same with the lights on or off. Exception: Subaru used to let you leave the lights in the on position, but they would still turn off with the key. No big deal, leave them on all the time I guess?

Then there's these idiot manufacturers with their auto headlights. Great idea, but only as good as the execution. GM has 3 positions; Auto, Parking, On. Great. Impossible to fuck up. When it's dark, your headlights will be on. Mazda has all the same, plus a fourth setting; off. What the shit? If someone isn't exactly the most observant person ever, and you put them in a car with a dash that lights up all the time, you had better fucking have automatic headlights. You set it to auto, and send them on their way, which works great until they take it in for service and for some reason the tech sets them to the forced off mode. :whipped:

Sentry
05-04-2016, 01:08 AM
We set them to off because we don't like staring into lit headlights when the car is lifted to chest height.

jwslam
05-04-2016, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by zieg
Personally I blame modern dash layouts. Back in the day, if you didn't turn on your headlights you couldn't see your dash and it made it impossible to forget. Now so many of them are backlit and basically look exactly the same with the lights on or off. Exception: Subaru used to let you leave the lights in the on position, but they would still turn off with the key. No big deal, leave them on all the time I guess?

Then there's these idiot manufacturers with their auto headlights. Great idea, but only as good as the execution. GM has 3 positions; Auto, Parking, On. Great. Impossible to fuck up. When it's dark, your headlights will be on. Mazda has all the same, plus a fourth setting; off. What the shit? If someone isn't exactly the most observant person ever, and you put them in a car with a dash that lights up all the time, you had better fucking have automatic headlights. You set it to auto, and send them on their way, which works great until they take it in for service and for some reason the tech sets them to the forced off mode. :whipped:
Picked up a Vibe recently. Has Off/Parking/On. But off=auto. And the sensor is right next to the pillar. If the sun casts a shadow on it, I'm driving with my lights on in broad daylight...

I like having the option to turn it off... What if I'm following a guy late at night and don't want to be seen???
*before you tell me that DRL's are going to rat me out, you should know DRL's don't activate if you don't let the hand brake all the way down, in my Honda anyways.

zieg
05-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Picked up a Vibe recently. Has Off/Parking/On. But off=auto. And the sensor is right next to the pillar. If the sun casts a shadow on it, I'm driving with my lights on in broad daylight...

I like having the option to turn it off... What if I'm following a guy late at night and don't want to be seen???
*before you tell me that DRL's are going to rat me out, you should know DRL's don't activate if you don't let the hand brake all the way down, in my Honda anyways.

Good point. But if you're a good stalker, you already have a switch that kills your headlights AND brake lights.

Originally posted by Sentry
We set them to off because we don't like staring into lit headlights when the car is lifted to chest height.
Well when I worked at a dealer, admittedly ages before auto headlights were a thing, we always tried to return the car to the customer with all the settings in the same position. What task are you doing that has the car lifted up while turned on?

Hallowed_point
05-04-2016, 09:02 AM
My squinty Asian eyes are immune to your high beams Quote of the year..holy!! Spat out my coffee :clap:

I wish all cars were like my 98 Camaro..auto headlights as soon as the sensor sees black. Tunnels etc. Awesome. My 09 Civic requires you to twist the stalk to turn them on. Not a big deal, but come on. Auto!!

btimbit
05-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Shouldn't even be a headlight switch. Just on all the time

Sentry
05-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by zieg
Well when I worked at a dealer, admittedly ages before auto headlights were a thing, we always tried to return the car to the customer with all the settings in the same position. What task are you doing that has the car lifted up while turned on?
On a lot of cars with auto lights, the lights stay on after the car is turned off unless you lock the door or wait 5-10 minutes.

jwslam
05-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by InRich
^bahahaha! that made my morning, lol! nicely done :thumbsup:
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Quote of the year..holy!! Spat out my coffee :clap:
I'm glad you both find enjoyment in my difficulties of putting in contact lenses.

Hallowed_point
05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm glad you both find enjoyment in my difficulties of putting in contact lenses. I thought I had a hard time @ 5 AM after a long night. How do you do it? Honestly. I feel bad now.

Colin_R6
05-04-2016, 10:03 AM
No mention of R-tards driving with Fog lights too. They aren't super bright, but the high dispersion just adds more light output to the front, helping to blind oncoming traffic.

They light up the ground 5' in front of your vehicle... if you are studying that portion of the road while driving in clear and dry weather, you need to adjust some priorities.

Hallowed_point
05-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Colin_R6
No mention of R-tards driving with Fog lights too. They aren't super bright, but the high dispersion just adds more light output to the front, helping to blind oncoming traffic.

They light up the ground 5' in front of your vehicle... if you are studying that portion of the road while driving in clear and dry weather, you need to adjust some priorities. You must mean: The McKenzie Towne entry level special AKA black ram 1500 with full time fogs and HIDS. Mud flaps are not an option for this package.

btimbit
05-04-2016, 11:10 AM

I'm glad you both find enjoyment in my difficulties of putting in contact lenses.

Maybe you should get razer eye surgery

relyt92
05-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Infiniti does it right, low beams and tail lights on at all times in my G37, even with the lights in the off position.

Sentry
05-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Infiniti does it right, low beams and tail lights on at all times in my G37, even with the lights in the off position.
Same on my M5 and 540i. The Aristo I just leave the switch on all the time and they're only on when the car is running.

S-FLY
05-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Even worse, some lady was coming towards me with high beams IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON. Yes, I know they were high beams because they were bright as hell and when you got close you can see the inside bulb lit and also when I passed, all the other lights were on too. It's like these people just leave all the lights on in the brightest position and drive.

S-FLY
05-08-2016, 12:29 PM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/stanyoung/2016-05-08_12-22-11_zps5blzmrvj.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/stanyoung/media/2016-05-08_12-22-11_zps5blzmrvj.jpg.html)