PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy rims, where's best for purchase?

cidley69
05-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Looking to buy set of aftermarket rims for wife's 2011 Acura MDX, base model.

Don't want to spend a bunch (around$200 or less apiece hopefully), this is a 2nd set of rims/tires for summer season (already have dedicated tires/rims for winter).

Looking for black rim with machined alloy spokes, more than 5-6 big spokes, like the look of more finer ones than few thick ones.....

Want a style that doesn't' take much up keep, something that looks good without being polished....

Any good online retailers? Are they much cheaper than local stores?

Any local shops with lower end rims?

The stock tires are 255/55R18.

Is there any down side to going with bigger diameter rim, and lower profile tire?

relyt92
05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Go see the guys at the UrbanX of your choosing, they'll likely be able to find you something good for a good price. You'd ride a little rougher going to a larger wheel and lower sidewall tire, and being heavier there'd be some small decrease in performance.

Sugarphreak
05-03-2016, 06:57 AM

jdmXSI
05-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
For online dealers:
#1: Tirerack (stuff shows up with no COD on it)
#2: 1010Tires.com (Vancouver Based, good when the dollar is this low)

For local dealers:
#1: Urban X

I remember the last time I used tirerack, UPS just left my tires in the front yard... in the ne...

I recently bought some tires from Bob at urbanX and there were some issues with shipping but he made everything right. I would still recommend him to anyone :thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
05-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Not sure what's going on with Urban X south. I sent them two emails weeks ago and they haven't replied. Maybe they're just really busy right now with the summer season.

bjstare
05-03-2016, 08:45 AM
UrbanX south has treated me great.

FWIW, I've never contacted them via email, why not just pick up the phone :dunno:

tirebob
05-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Not sure what's going on with Urban X south. I sent them two emails weeks ago and they haven't replied. Maybe they're just really busy right now with the summer season. Just speaking on my behalf, and I am sure it is no different with the guys at the other locations, this time of year, and the fall as well, is so busy in house with people coming in, phone calls, and all the jobs happening all at once, there just really isn't a lot of spare time to answer e-mails. As much as you would like to, you only have so much time in a day, and being a small business it isn't like you can afford to keep the extra staff you would need employed year round to be able to do so. You can't just hire temporary staff either for this type of stuff as it requires knowledge and experience.

Just one of those things that we have to deal with twice a year when you run a seasonal small business.

We try our best, but the people in front of you have to be dealt with first and foremost. Second comes the phones ringing off the hook beside you, and last, but not least, e-mails when we have a few spare minutes...

Sugarphreak
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM

Hallowed_point
05-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
Just speaking on my behalf, and I am sure it is no different with the guys at the other locations, this time of year, and the fall as well, is so busy in house with people coming in, phone calls, and all the jobs happening all at once, there just really isn't a lot of spare time to answer e-mails. As much as you would like to, you only have so much time in a day, and being a small business it isn't like you can afford to keep the extra staff you would need employed year round to be able to do so. You can't just hire temporary staff either for this type of stuff as it requires knowledge and experience.

Just one of those things that we have to deal with twice a year when you run a seasonal small business.

We try our best, but the people in front of you have to be dealt with first and foremost. Second comes the phones ringing off the hook beside you, and last, but not least, e-mails when we have a few spare minutes... I get it, wondered if it was my email or something. I still love you guys! Plus, I need to focus on buying my condo not buying wheels now!!

Skrilla
05-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Local only used UrbanX

I bought a couple cheap sets on http://www.discounttiredirect.com when I was playing around with powder coating options last year. Free shipping, and they have some really cheap options.