PDA

View Full Version : T8 LED retrofit

speedog
05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
So I have a 4 tube T8 fixture in our kitchen that has gone on the blink, suspect the ballast is kaput.

I know there are T8 LED replacements one can get that don't require the ballast and would require a bit of rewiring in the fixture - just wondering if anyone has done this yet or have people just used the direct replacement T8 LED's that require a ballast?

Darell_n
05-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Ive installed both at grocery stores. I suspect the no-ballast version will be a lot more reliable as it doesn't depend on the original ballast lasting and doesn't have to convert 600+ volts down to 24v.

Crazyjoker77
05-04-2016, 08:04 PM
No doubt in you situation your better going with a full replacement driver since your ballast is shot already.

Not only will it be more reliable, efficient, and probably cheaper but some of them will allow them to work with standard dimmers.

Wiring up the driver isn't any more complicated than replacing the ballast. In fact many of them share the exact same wiring diagram as an fluorescent electronic ballast.

Darell_n
05-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
No doubt in you situation your better going with a full replacement driver since your ballast is shot already.

Not only will it be more reliable, efficient, and probably cheaper but some of them will allow them to work with standard dimmers.

Wiring up the driver isn't any more complicated than replacing the ballast. In fact many of them share the exact same wiring diagram as an fluorescent electronic ballast.

There are T8 bulbs with integrated drivers. Just chop out the old ballast and stick the 120v directly to the bulb.

speedog
05-04-2016, 09:05 PM
The problem is finding T8 LED's that don't require a ballast. No go at Rona, Lowe's or Home Depot and $32 for a new ballast, it's a good time to convert

Darell_n
05-04-2016, 09:13 PM
The internal ballast bulbs are available at wholesalers.

speedog
05-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
The internal ballast bulbs are available at wholesalers.

Names of wholesalers that will sell to Joe blow would be much appreciated.

Darell_n
05-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Commercial Lighting does cash sales, so does HD Supply I believe. I'm sure there are lots of others but I'm no sparky so I don't visit them often.

cwillgo
05-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Pm me, the company I work for did a full 9 storey T8 LED retrofit and I was able to buy some internally driven tubes for my garage from them at cost. 3000k, 4000k, 5000k color.