PDA

View Full Version : Yardhouse Kensington - Closing?! (hopefully)

Dumbass17
05-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Anyone know if the Yardhouse is closing, going under renos? If it's closing, what is it becoming?

Yardhouse sucks so I'm hoping it's something better!

you&me
05-09-2016, 04:16 PM
I noticed something too, though I'm not sure if they're doing renos, a re-brand or if it's an entirely new outfit moving in.

I know the city is doing some sort of 'revitalization' in Kensington through the summer... It would make sense to coincide any renos while the city is f-ing up their customer access.

sabad66
05-09-2016, 04:47 PM
i believe it's a reno and re-brand.

K3RMiTdot
05-10-2016, 10:41 AM
I believe its going to be reopened as Hayden Block Smoke & Whisky

ExtraSlow
05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Sounds like the hipster will be strong. Thanks for the tip, I shall avoid

g-m
05-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Ugh yes ^that

l/l/rX
05-16-2016, 10:24 PM
The guy who's opening it up is an awesome, super knowledgeable when it comes to whisky Irish fella. I've done a lot of charity work with him, looking forward to working with him more at his new place!

From what he's told me what is being done to it, sounds like it's going to be wicked.

gqmw
07-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Anyone try the smokehouse yet?

lasimmon
07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Yah food was good. A little cold though. Price was decent. I'll go back for sure as it was pretty good.

ryder_23
07-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Yah food was good. A little cold though. Price was decent. I'll go back for sure as it was pretty good.

:confused: good but cold? Probably a service issue. Sounds like the old yard house.

lasimmon
07-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Meat was still very tasty. It was very close to openING day so I won't write them off yet.

Ed the SOHC
07-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I just went tonight coincidentally and I really liked the place. The owner, Ian, was a cool guy. He came out and introduced himself to our group. Service was good, food was great (try the beef rib... heaven in your mouth). Ambience was pretty chill, like a neighborhood sports bar. I'd go again. :thumbsup:

g-m
07-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Terrible brisket. I kept having to tell my dad that this wasn't how it was supposed to taste (he'd never had brisket). It was super dry and overcooked. I had to smoke some this past weekend to demonstrate.

The pork ribs were pretty good though.

Christian@IE
07-12-2016, 09:17 AM
I tried Hayden Block a few weeks ago; sat at the wood. Service was good, staff was friendly and knowledgeable. They have their main patio at the front and then a second one at the back which helps with overflow on hot days.

I found the prices reasonable - about what I'd expect to pay at a trendy new restaurant.

suntan
07-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by g-m
Terrible brisket. I kept having to tell my dad that this wasn't how it was supposed to taste (he'd never had brisket). It was super dry and overcooked. I had to smoke some this past weekend to demonstrate.

The pork ribs were pretty good though. Probably used flank steak. I'm constantly amazed by how everybody in Calgary can't tell the difference.

RawB8figure
07-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by g-m

I found that Big T's by McMahon has pretty good brisket.

Dumbass17
08-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by g-m

Weird, I was there on Thursday and the brisket was moist and I liked it, but then again, I'm not a brisket guy.