PDA

View Full Version : Have a bike in garage since 2013, not sure what to do

Pages : [1] 2

WongYue
05-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Hey all, been here a long time (well not really), but have not posted before.

Anyway, I've had an R1 since 2013 sitting in my garage ever since I saw so many of my friends getting bikes and licenses. They all wanted to go riding with me, so I thought, what the heck, might as well give it a try.

I know I know, idiotic move on getting a litre bike as a first, but aesthetics > *.

Flash forward to today, May 10th, 2016, and I believe I've put on less than 1km on the bike. I am still on the original tank of gas that the bike came with as well.

Over the years, I've tried and tried to learn how to ride. First off, some friends told me to learn balance by using a regular bicycle. Just ride around the block they said, that should help you understand how going on two wheels feels like. Some just told me to “get on the bike and just go”. I never felt confident enough though.

I would sit on the bike in my garage and attempt to move it back and forth. I’m only about 5’4” @ 115lb, so I was on my toes no matter what. Even rolling forward, I could feel myself toppling over. This really did not encourage me to push forward, plus I felt like my body was too tired.

Then came time to learn how to clutch out to first gear and start actually moving. With limited space in my garage (I basically refused to listen to my friends who said to have someone ride it to a parking lot, etc), I never could fully let go of the clutch and into first gear. I already felt like it was going too fast for me anyway. I felt like having my friends help me take the bike somewhere “safer” would be a hassle, and even though they promised me that they will help me, I always just told them that I was too tired to practice or that I did not want them to waste time.

Eventually, I thought, hey maybe a scooter would be easier to learn on? So I went to my friend's place and tried it out. I saw him ride it (and countless others in Asia) so easily, but when I got on I could not even reach the ground. Something even an old granny in Asia would have no problem with, I was struggling like the fool I am.

I also had some friends tell me to just take a course, but why would I pay another 500-600$$ of my hard earned money to learn something I can learn all by myself?

I’m at a loss here, what should I do guys? Sell the bike? Take a course? Just get on the bike and go? I am considering just to find a 125 and just get the licence and move on with life.

TL;DR: I bought a bike in 2013 and have yet to actually ride it.

SEPTEMBER 14TH UPDATE: I DID IT GUYS!~

Thaco
05-10-2016, 03:41 PM
take a course, the end

ercchry
05-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah get a smaller bike, take the course though, most of them have a few different styles of bike to choose from so it will also help you figure out a new bike... Which could be a good way to justify the course (save on buying and reselling the wrong bike again) you could also look into lowering the R1

rage2
05-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Am I reading this right? You don't know how to ride a bicycle? Because if that's the case, I'd say start there. If you aren't confident enough to ride a bicycle, you will fucking die on any motorcycle, let alone an R1.

haggis88
05-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Yeah jumping onto a litrebike as your first is probably a bad idea...i've been riding for 5 years and am quite content on 650 twins

if you really want to, take a course with one of the riding schools on something like a 250 or 300 Ninja or CBR and see how you get along with it...riding is not for everyone

After you've taken the course and potentially got your license, you'd be in a better position to see if you wanna continue with this as a hobby or just cut your losses on the bike and move on

Your height is nothing to worry about, my dad is only 5'5 and he just buys lowering kits for his bikes, they are readily available for the popular bikes

I'm also only 5'8, but have quite short legs, but the R1 is about the most comfortable litrebike for me to sit on, as I have most of the ball of my foot down...i'd imagine lowered, it would be even better

TL;DR, take a course and get your license on a 250/300 and then see if you really wanna keep biking

haggis88
05-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Also, i found there to be zero advantage to a motorbike in Canada, since no province lets you lane-split, all the roads are straight and its winter for 9 months a year

WongYue
05-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Am I reading this right? You don't know how to ride a bicycle? Because if that's the case, I'd say start there. If you aren't confident enough to ride a bicycle, you will fucking die on any motorcycle, let alone an R1.

I can ride a bicycle, but seems like it doesn't translate over to motorcycles.

Courses are so expensive though :(

carson blocks
05-10-2016, 03:50 PM
You're being an idiot. Take a course. There are lots of things you can be self taught at, and can afford to do poorly. Motorcycling is not one of those things. $500-600 won't pay for one fairing on your first drop on that bike, quit being cheap and go get some quality instruction.

Motorcycling is not a cheap hobby. If you can afford to let a new R1 sit for 3 years, you can afford a damned course.

ercchry
05-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by haggis88
Also, i found there to be zero advantage to a motorbike in Canada, since no province lets you lane-split, all the roads are straight and its winter for 9 months a year

Yeah touring/adventure bikes are king here... Still a great time heading out to the foothills/mountains if you can handle 30min+ of boring highway

shakalaka
05-10-2016, 03:56 PM
- the bike is too big for you, especially if you're that unconfident with it.

- take a course/lessons.

- sell the bike and get something smaller/shorter and more appropriate for you.

- i have a 300CC chopper/cruiser style bike that I might consider trading. if interested, give me a shout. Start small and then move up as you gain confidence.

know1edge
05-10-2016, 03:57 PM

D'z Nutz
05-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
- i have a 300CC chopper/cruiser style bike that I might consider trading. if interested, give me a shout. Start small and then move up as you gain confidence.

Already!? :rofl:

shakalaka
05-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Lol no harm in testing waters. :rofl:

asp integra
05-10-2016, 04:08 PM
If you are worried about the cost of a course then I would say sell the bike. Your life is worth a lot more than a few hundred $$.

quick_scar
05-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by WongYue

I can ride a bicycle, but seems like it doesn't translate over to motorcycles.

Owns and ISF and an R1 that he hasn't touched yet says that $600 is too expensive for 4.5 hours of classroom instruction and 18 hours of on bike instruction.

Can you learn it yourself, yes. But as with any motorcycle rider I have ever met will say, take the damn course. You will learn so much more, so much faster and be 100x safer on the road for it.

MR2-3SGTE
05-10-2016, 04:46 PM
I've taken the course and I recommend it, but I don't think it's mandatory. For me, it was mostly just for assuring that I was doing everything the right way, versus second guessing myself anytime something doesn't feel right. Big advantage was learning on someone else's bike, and the insurance discount.
R1 for a first bike isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Everyone is different. Some catch on quickly. Some need extra time. You definetly won't feel confident on it until after a weeks of daily riding. It takes time to build that muscle memory that you have while driving.

In your case, I would say selling it for a 125 and using the extra money for the course would be your best bet.

firebane
05-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Welcome to being one of those riders who goes against the grain and buys too much bike to start with.

Should have started with a smaller 250cc type bike and actually ENJOY riding.

01RedDX
05-10-2016, 04:47 PM

lilmira
05-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Is it correct to assume that someone on a bicycle can pass you on your motorcycle? That's fucked up son.

Boat
05-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Crazy story! you could sell your R1 and use the money towards the course and maybe a different bike (grom! haha jk)

Definitely do the course, you could easily hurt or possibly kill yourself if you have no experience and try to teach/ride yourself. The course covers all the basics and will get you to a half decent level of confidence to get out and about.

I started from no previous experience at all aside from riding a bike as a kid so it was a bit intimidating at first but you will catch on quick.

At the very least you can take the course and decide its not for you. I do agree its expensive but worth every penny! Plus down the road you may never know when you might need to know how to ride a motorcycle! I always thought of the situation where the world depends on me needing to ride a motorcycle to go save the world and I promised myself I wouldn't be caught in that situation where i didn't know how. Still waiting but now im ready!!

bspot
05-10-2016, 04:54 PM

I'd pay $600 to not die young.

Honestly, this is the kind of thread I expect a tragic bump later this summer with your obituary.

Operating a high powered vehicle, especially one on two wheels without crumple zones, airbags or a structural cage, is something that should only be done with the proper skills and knowledge.

Decisions in this area shouldn't be made because you're cheap. They should be made based on what gives you the highest chance at survival.

Rocket1k78
05-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Agreed that the course is not for everyone but it 100% is for op. Riding requires a lot of confidence and this guy has none and the fact hes got an R1 just adds to the fear. The 2013 R1 is a beefy feeling bike and at 115lbs and 5'4" that thing has got to feel intimidating. My first bike was an r6 and it scared the shit out of me because of how big and powerful it felt.

TAKE THE COURSE CHEAP ASS:poosie:

J.M.
05-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Sell your ISF so you can afford to pay for bike lessons

quick_scar
05-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Its under $30 an hour.....

1. your paying for someones time to be there. Usually multiple people with difference experiences and specific skill sets. One will be mainly a road guy, one probably a track guy, etc...
2. The discount on your insurance over time will eventually cover the cost of the course.
3. Depending on how geared up you are, you probably spent more on your helmet, jacket, etc... then the cost of the course. If your willing to spend that kind of money to save your ass in the event of an accident, why not spend it to potentially prevent the accident in the first place?

blitz
05-10-2016, 05:08 PM

I also had some friends tell me to just take a course, but why would I pay another 500-600$$ of my hard earned money to learn something I can learn all by myself?

Because it's pretty obvious at this point that you can't learn it by yourself. :nut:

redblack
05-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Those damn short Asians legs are your problem. Buy a scooter

JVR1
05-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Sell the R1, take the money to pay for a course and buy something more reasonable to your skill and size that you can enjoy. You can always buy a similar bike in the future. I sense you might be ashamed to explain it to a potential buyer so have a friend sell it for you no biggie.

The fact that your asking and being honest about your situation says you know better then to keep going down your current route.

Motorcycle courses are about more than just the coordination of operating a bike. You'll learn how to not put yourself in dangerous situations which will happen sooner than later.

HomespunLobster
05-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Even sell the R1 and go to a 600cc range. Still overpowered, but slightly less likely to dump the bike leaving your garage

BokCh0y
05-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Please sell the bike and never bother with the thought of a motorcyle ever again.

If you don't want to pay for the course, and learn how to properly ride a motorcycle obeying the rules of the road and such, then I don't want you on the road period. You'd be liability on the road.

Have you paid for a driving course or did you just learn that yourself too?

03ozwhip
05-10-2016, 07:29 PM
You obviously can't learn on your own because you keep trying and failing. Take the course, you will learn more there, than on your own.

D'z Nutz
05-10-2016, 07:38 PM
The fact that you bought a bike that was too big and powerful for you, refuse to take your friends' offer to help you learn, and refuse to take a course cause you're cheap shows you have poor judgement.

Sell the bike because it's not doing you any good just sitting there.

If you are really interested in riding, go take a course and find a bike that fits you and within a power range you can handle.

Originally posted by lilmira
Is it correct to assume that someone on a bicycle can pass you on your motorcycle? That's fucked up son.

It wouldn't be hard. They would only need to ride out the garage and down the driveway.

GQBalla
05-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Give it to me and I'll show you how to ride it. R1 is too much bike for you anyways

WongYue
05-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
The fact that you bought a bike that was too big and powerful for you, refuse to take your friends' offer to help you learn, and refuse to take a course cause you're cheap shows you have poor judgement.

Sell the bike because it's not doing you any good just sitting there.

If you are really interested in riding, go take a course and find a bike that fits you and within a power range you can handle.

It wouldn't be hard. They would only need to ride out the garage and down the driveway.

Like I said in OP, aesthetics > *, so because I find the R1 mesmerizing, it is the only bike I want to be seen riding. My refusal to take the course is only because I am cheap, not because of poor judgment.

I've been practicing clutching in and out to find that friction point, without giving the bike any gas. So far it's a fail. I've also decided to train my hand to only use around 10% of the throttle at all times. Some of my friends say that this isn't possible, but I'm going to prove them wrong. I'm probably only going to ride in 1st or 2nd only so I don't need to change gears as often.

As for the bicycle beating me, so far that's true. I'll be beaten by a child on a tricycle easily. It's amusing but I'll take it.

All I need is time!

revelations
05-10-2016, 08:45 PM
At least this noobie/ litre bike tale will (likely) have a happy ending (assuming lessons are taken). So many others, dont.

:thumbsup:

PS, if I was in your shoes I would sell the R1 and get a used R3 instead. Smaller/better fit for smaller riders and much easier to learn on.

Your R1 is worth about 10k on the used market. Much less if you went to dealer and sold it back.

BTW a course WILL teach you things you might only learn after an crash. What is the cost of this?

Do you know what counter-steering is for eg, and what it does and when it takes effect? I knew wanna-be riders who didnt and paid the price. One guy I knew swallowed his pride and took a course, one guy kept riding until he had a serious enough crash to give it up.

jdmXSI
05-10-2016, 08:52 PM

Like I said in OP, aesthetics > *, so because I find the R1 mesmerizing, it is the only bike I want to be seen riding. My refusal to take the course is only because I am cheap, not because of poor judgment.

I've been practicing clutching in and out to find that friction point, without giving the bike any gas. So far it's a fail. I've also decided to train my hand to only use around 10% of the throttle at all times. Some of my friends say that this isn't possible, but I'm going to prove them wrong. I'm probably only going to ride in 1st or 2nd only so I don't need to change gears as often.

As for the bicycle beating me, so far that's true. I'll be beaten by a child on a tricycle easily. It's amusing but I'll take it.

All I need is time!

"Like I said in OP, aesthetics, so because I find the R1 mesmerizing, it is the only bike I want to be seen riding. My refusal to take the course is only because I am cheap, not because of poor judgment."

Those 2 things alone are signs of poor judgment. Take the course, they will teach you very important things that if you were to learn on your own. You would have an obituary or best case scenario a hospital visit and a wrecked bike...

firebane
05-10-2016, 08:55 PM

All I need is time!

You really need to check your pride at the door man. Either your going to kill/hurt yourself or someone else in the process of learning to ride.

Quit being a dumbass and feeding in the stereotypes of "stupid sport bike riders"

Redlined_8000
05-10-2016, 09:00 PM
115lb rider on a R1 for a first bike? Sounds scary lol. Take a course and downgrade to a CBR500 or something.

Who cares if you dont want to be seen on any other bike than a R1. This is a dangerous game you're trying.

spike98
05-10-2016, 09:09 PM
OP has to be trolling. HAS TO BE.

I refuse to accept that there is someone out there that friggen retarded that could be potentially on a R1.

WongYue
05-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by revelations
At least this noobie/ litre bike tale will (likely) have a happy ending (assuming lessons are taken). So many others, dont.

:thumbsup:

PS, if I was in your shoes I would sell the R1 and get a used R3 instead. Smaller/better fit for smaller riders and much easier to learn on.

Your R1 is worth about 10k on the used market. Much less if you went to dealer and sold it back.

BTW a course WILL teach you things you might only learn after an crash. What is the cost of this?

Do you know what counter-steering is for eg, and what it does and when it takes effect? I knew wanna-be riders who didnt and paid the price. One guy I knew swallowed his pride and took a course, one guy kept riding until he had a serious enough crash to give it up.

I want the slipper clutch on the R1 though, plus the R3 is not a pretty bike. Wouldn't want to be caught dead on it at all.

I know what counter-steering is, but I really do not want to do it. I just want to steer like a bicycle. I understand that it is the de-facto standard, but I like to be different.

spike98: Definitely not trolling. This is my life story.

MR2-3SGTE
05-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Pretty sure this guy is trolling. You don't even know how to use a clutch, a slipper clutch would have no benefit to you at all in the learning process. Anything on two wheels requires counter steering at decent speeds. Are you sure you know how to ride a bicycle? How old are you?
If you don't want to counter steer, you'll never ride your bike faster than 20kmh

lilmira
05-10-2016, 09:35 PM
You sound like another member here.

D'z Nutz
05-10-2016, 09:42 PM

Riding with the kickstand down probably seems like a good idea too.

All I need is time!

It's working wonders already. You expecting another growth spurt?

carson blocks
05-10-2016, 09:46 PM
OP is either trolling or disabled.

roll_over
05-10-2016, 09:47 PM
My concern is him in first or second gear then hitting a bump twisting the throttle and falling. That's less likely on a 300 or 600

WongYue
05-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
My concern is him in first or second gear then hitting a bump twisting the throttle and falling. That's less likely on a 300 or 600

I've trained up my right hand to only give it around 10% throttle no matter what. There wouldn't be a situation where I would twist the throttle too far. 10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
It's working wonders already. You expecting another growth spurt?

One can only hope to grow a bit more ...

roll_over
05-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Aids are you back man? Missed yeah

WongYue
05-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
Aids are you back man? Missed yeah

who is aids?

SOAB
05-10-2016, 10:10 PM
if this isn't a troll post than this guy is going to die.

won't take a course cause you think you can teach yourself? you've had the fucking thing for 3 years and you haven't learned jack shit! can't even ride a scooter and you think you can control yourself on a R1?

do the rest of the drivers in the world a favor and sell it. you will die.

or ride it. and do the world a favor. :banghead:

ercchry
05-10-2016, 10:45 PM

I want the slipper clutch on the R1 though, plus the R3 is not a pretty bike. Wouldn't want to be caught dead on it at all.

I know what counter-steering is, but I really do not want to do it. I just want to steer like a bicycle. I understand that it is the de-facto standard, but I like to be different.

spike98: Definitely not trolling. This is my life story.

KTM duke 390 comes with a slipper... Much more noob friendly, I started on a gsx-r 750 and now own a duke... But I was also doing 200km/h and passing most bikes on the 1a by the end of week one... But I'm not build like a 12 year old girl and am not afraid of sports :dunno:

GQBalla
05-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Op is a troll

J.M.
05-10-2016, 11:12 PM
fuck this thread

why would you even ask questions on what to do when you're pretty much set on learning on your own anyways :rofl:

J.M.
05-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

But I'm not build like a 12 year old girl and am not afraid of sports :dunno:

I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising

http://static.deathandtaxesmag.com/uploads/2010/08/Picture-32.png

vengie
05-10-2016, 11:19 PM
100% troll.

Doesn't want to be seen on anything other than an R1?!? Lol you're self image of material possessions are going to get you killed. In that instance you won't be seen at all.

But hey at least your friends and family will have cool pictures of you on an R1 to remember you by!

JordanAndrew
05-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Take the course, like what a lot of users are saying already. You'll learn a lot taking a safety course and it's definitely worth the money.

You can literally drop their bikes and learn from them without worrying too much about repairs, so that in it's essence pays for itself. I dropped an R3 and a Ninja 300 on my course and damaged the fairings but I wasn't worried at all.

Once you've done the course and you have proof of doing so, as long as you have all a helmet, gloves and jacket, I can take you under my wing and teach you more if you need to in a parking lot and ride alongs.. for free, as long as I'm free I'd be willing to do this for the motorcycle community.

Join the Calgary Motorcycle Rider group and 403 riders group on facebook. Lots of people are also willing to help new riders. Almost always someone will help you get there for free, just do it safe and do it right.

Take a lot of people's advice here as well, down size your bike, it's tough to learn on an R1, too much power for a beginner. I'd max you out at 600-700CC bikes.

Let me know what you think, I'm down to help another rider as long as you promise to do it right.

WongYue
05-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Let me know what you think, I'm down to help another rider as long as you promise to do it right.

Thank you for your kind words JordanAndrew. I am saddened that so many of you want me to die though.

In all honesty, I am not learning to ride for the thrill, but rather to prove to myself that I am not a fool. More than likely I will never exceed 60 km/h or even reach 3rd gear. My goal is not to be a danger to myself or to others.

I just want to look good while going slow.

Though that's a stupid thought because I can't even roll my bike across the garage without toppling over :rofl:

JVR1
05-11-2016, 12:34 AM
(must feed the troll....)

Saddened we want you to die? Only your stupid opinions are gonna get you killed. I'm almost want to watch you fuck up but then I'd have to call 911 out of decency and explain it..

"Hi 911.. Yeah, he thinks 10% throttle = 100cc but now he's 100% hurtin. "

Buster
05-11-2016, 12:44 AM
All savvy internet vetrins in here, and you guys are responding to an obvious troll thread?

disappoint.

revelations
05-11-2016, 12:48 AM
I know what counter-steering is, but I really do not want to do it.

Thats almost signature-worthy appalling.

Sell the bike now.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Pics of R1.

Write on a piece of paper with your username, so we know it's legit.

civic_stylez
05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Bike has been sitting for too long.. its no good anymore. You should put it up for sale at a drastically reduced price.. ill do you the favor and come and pick it up and take it to the scrap metal place. Its the only logical answer. Bike cant sit for more than a year... sorry dude but your out of luck. Ill swing by with my truck and give you $1000.00 for it..

lilmira
05-11-2016, 08:21 AM
He likes to do it the Wong way.

Rocket1k78
05-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Buster
All savvy internet vetrins in here, and you guys are responding to an obvious troll thread?

disappoint.

:werd: At first it sounded somewhat legit because theres dummies out there but the last posts from him are beyond ridiculous. I dont want to counter steer lol Props to op though, he troll very wisely:D

D88
05-11-2016, 10:02 AM
You bought a bike solely based on what you'll look good riding yet refuse to go the proper routes to learn how to ride. Either enjoy your garage ornament or make an honest effort to get out there and learn. It sounds like you have a few offers for free lessons so there you go, you got what you want. Now you can't blame your cheapness.

WongYue
05-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

:werd: At first it sounded somewhat legit because theres dummies out there but the last posts from him are beyond ridiculous. I dont want to counter steer lol Props to op though, he troll very wisely:D

I'm serious though. Counter steering scares the shit out of me. I tried it on the bicycle and I almost fell off.

My friends told me to slow down using the brake while approaching a turn, but I thought that just letting go of the throttle about 100m before the turn would be better, then I can just steer it regularly around. Less braking = less chance of me pulling too hard and falling over.

Originally posted by lilmira
He likes to do it the Wong way.

It's the only way to live life.

bjstare
05-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Someone who knows what a slipper clutch is, but thinks counter steering is scary???

How anyone didn't spot the troll is just beyond me :rolleyes:

revelations
05-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Im just impressed 1km on the odometer. Lowest I've ever seen on a *delivered* bike was 6km.

Post this R1 pics or it didnt happen. Battery should have been dead long ago.

WongYue
05-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Im just impressed 1km on the odometer. Lowest I've ever seen on a *delivered* bike was 6km.

The bike is preowned actually, so the odometer reads more than 1km. Sorry should have stated in OP that bike is used.

I started it up a few days ago, billowing nasty exhaust fumes, but otherwise seems fine? Added some new gas as well.

spike98
05-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Bike has been sitting for too long.. its no good anymore. You should put it up for sale at a drastically reduced price.. ill do you the favor and come and pick it up and take it to the scrap metal place. Its the only logical answer. Bike cant sit for more than a year... sorry dude but your out of luck. Ill swing by with my truck and give you $1000.00 for it..

You know, it could have been sitting for too long and may require some work to get it going. Gaskets and seals like to dry up when they sit for that long.

Hallowed_point
05-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by spike98
You know, it could have been sitting for too long and may require some work to get it going. Gaskets and seals like to dry up when they sit for that long. I agree..I wouldn't be riding or driving anything with old rubber/fluids etc until it gets a clean bill of health.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-11-2016, 12:38 PM

My Grom was delivered with 0km. So was my CBR, but I didn't grab a pic of that.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88223534/2015-02-17%2022.12.06.jpg

WongYue
05-11-2016, 12:43 PM

Here's an old pic I have, I believe it was taken in 2013 or 2014 though. I unhooked the battery over the winter.

http://i.imgur.com/5WkPXKr.jpg

Hallowed_point
I agree..I wouldn't be riding or driving anything with old rubber/fluids etc until it gets a clean bill of health.

It started fine, but not like it's gone anywhere other than on the stand. I might get it looked at some time later.

revelations
05-11-2016, 01:06 PM
1/2 serious but youd better let me take it out for a test ride to make sure all is well. :bigpimp:

Disoblige
05-11-2016, 02:27 PM
This is ridiculously pathetic, I really hope this is trolling.
I rather ride a 250 and look like a pro doing it while having fun, instead of "looking cool" on an R1 and not even know how to ride it.

WongYue
05-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
This is ridiculously pathetic, I really hope this is trolling.
I rather ride a 250 and look like a pro doing it while having fun, instead of "looking cool" on an R1 and not even know how to ride it.

I actually don't even think I can handle a 250. I can't handle a 50cc scooter either so there's that...

Disoblige
05-11-2016, 02:47 PM
It's okay man, enjoy looking at your bike :thumbsup:
Treat it as a 1:1 scale model.

WongYue
05-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
It's okay man, enjoy looking at your bike :thumbsup:
Treat it as a 1:1 scale model.

:werd: It's been a 1:1 scale model for the last 3 years, I'm sure it has many years ahead of it. I just hope one day through all my hard training I can get it out of the garage and onto the streets.

Sorath
05-11-2016, 03:11 PM

:werd: It's been a 1:1 scale model for the last 3 years, I'm sure it has many years ahead of it. I just hope one day through all my hard training I can get it out of the garage and onto the streets.

you sure do like 1:1 scale models. some yellow car in your garage hasn't moved either in the last 7+ years

rage2
05-11-2016, 03:37 PM
For those that think OP is trolling, you're seriously underestimating the quirkiness of Chinese people. :rofl:

WongYue
05-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

you sure do like 1:1 scale models. some yellow car in your garage hasn't moved either in the last 7+ years

I'll have her on the streets by next year. Maybe.

Sorath
05-11-2016, 03:44 PM

I'll have her on the streets by next year. Maybe.

you said that for the last 5 years haha

WongYue
05-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

you said that for the last 5 years haha

It's not my fault that people cut the line. Am I just too nice? Should I insist that it be done within the next month or friends off?

kenny
05-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Get a tinted visor and no one will know who you are :rofl:

Rocket1k78
05-11-2016, 03:49 PM
We need details :confused:

WongYue
05-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Get a tinted visor and no one will know who you are :rofl:

I actually don't own a motorcycle helmet, just using my road racing one. Open face. No tinted visor sadly :dunno: :dunno:

kenny
05-11-2016, 04:18 PM
What?! a fancy helmet is the next most important thing after the bike to look cool. You can take the $ you are saving by teaching yourself how to ride and pick one up.

ercchry
05-11-2016, 04:25 PM
OP when he finally gets out of the garage:

EmhPwb38DL4

JVR1
05-11-2016, 04:28 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/s07hML6bJOA/maxresdefault.jpg

should get a dirt bike while your at it..

firebane
05-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by kenny
What?! a fancy helmet is the next most important thing after the bike to look cool. You can take the $ you are saving by teaching yourself how to ride and pick one up.

Better get a Variant.

Rocket1k78
05-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
OP when he finally gets out of the garage:

EmhPwb38DL4

Not even close, that would require him making it more than 10 meters from his place.

This would be more accurate
https://youtu.be/m9fF_bSQk7I

And he needs the Variant with the mohawk attachment

WongYue
05-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Not even close, that would require him making it more than 10 meters from his place.

I can't say for sure that this has never happened ;) ;)

botox
05-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by rage2
For those that think OP is trolling, you're seriously underestimating the quirkiness of Chinese people. :rofl:

I was going to say something like this. People like this do actually exist cause OP sounds exactly like a old high school friend I had.

revelations
05-11-2016, 07:42 PM

LOL thats exactly what I was thinking before I even clicked on the link.

moyz
06-06-2016, 04:02 PM
OP, roll the bike to an open dirt lot and practice full throttle launches. The dirt will help soften the launch and get you used to the feel of the bike and if the bike falls it won't be damaged. If it gets out of control, just aim for a barb wire fence to try and stop the bike.

This method would really help yourself but even more importantly, everyone else on the road.

revelations
06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by moyz
OP, roll the bike to an open dirt lot and practice full throttle launches. The dirt will help soften the launch and get you used to the feel of the bike and if the bike falls it won't be damaged. If it gets out of control, just aim for a barb wire fence to try and stop the bike.

My sarcasm detector was broken, until I read that a 4-500lb bike wont be damaged by a drop onto dirt.

snowcat
06-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Sell it.

sumguy777
06-06-2016, 08:31 PM
This is the Wong sport for Yue

J.M.
06-06-2016, 09:34 PM
:rofl:

WongYue
06-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Update!!!

I was walking around my neighborhood, and then I spotted my friend Ken. Knowing that he is a seasoned rider, I asked him if he wanted to take the bike for a spin. He gladly took up the offer.

He rode it over to a nearby parking lot and gave it a few rips. Told me my bike feels lighter than a cbr600? Not that I would know.

Anyway, afterwards I decided to give it a go with a standing start, since I had SPACE all around me finally! (No more confinement in the garage!!!)

I slowly let out clutch and hit 14km/h before it felt too fast so I grabbed the brakes relatively hard. Let it be known though that this is actually the fastest I have ever ridden my R1, and also the longest distance in one clutch release.

What a great day. I feel as if I had made huge progress.

https://imgur.com/a/JG4iF

killramos
06-10-2016, 09:14 AM
How is this still a thread? The only scenario in which that day could have been classified as "great" in this context is if your neighbor bought the bike off you.

How the fuck did you ever pass your class 6? Wait, do you even have a license?

swak
06-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by killramos
How is this still a thread? The only scenario in which that day could have been classified as "great" in this context is if your neighbor bought the bike off you.

How the fuck did you ever pass your class 6? Wait, do you even have a license?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry, but riding a R1 is ridiculous to hear, having no experience on a bike, my friend!
Please Please Please Please Please take a course, or sell the bike.
You're gonna kill yourself out there. This is not news I want to be reading next week in the Herald!! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I've been riding bikes for years now, and my biggest bike was my FZ-09 (which still isn't as much bike as yours, and that was already a ton of bike for me).

If you're doing it for aesthetics, go buy some timberlands and a Ed Hardy tee instead.... Your face/body torn to shreads won't be too aesthetic if/when you dump your R1.