PDA

View Full Version : Home Security

nytrydr89
05-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Any suggestions? Who are you using? What sort of cost per month?

I've been meaning to put up a couple cameras around the house and like the idea of being able to access it from a smart phone app. A Vivint rep was in my area yesterday and I like the idea of home monitoring as well as the additional features (doorbell camera, security camera, door locks, etc). I dont like the idea of being forced to sign a 42 month contract.

Now I know I could go out and purchase the doorbell camera, bluetooth door locks, and all that other crap but you still wont get the home monitoring services so I am leaning towards an alarm company that offers all these services in one package.

Any other suggestions outside of Vivint and if you have Vivint how is it??

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-11-2016, 09:57 AM
I had the Vivint guy come by my place. He was very... insistent. I like the idea, but not the cost ($75/month for how long?).

I'm not worried about the monitoring (his line on the bylaw was bullshit btw), but really, I'd rather pay the up front costs for all the hardware than the monthly costs.

I had some relatives over, and he came in (to "show my the prices") and then completely interrupted them, gave them the same shpiel (it's my house), and took forever to leave. I was initially interested, but did some research and didn't like how the reviews were talking about installers and getting out of contracts (and the free move stuff).

I finally convinced him to leave, and that I would consider it (I did, because I like to research things), and decided it wasn't for me. He came back the next day and harassed my fiancee to the point where she locked all the doors, closed all the blinds, and called me, while being extremely upset, because of how insistent he was. She was scared of what he might do.

So I'm totally against Vivint, but very for smart home features. I'd love to get some internal/external cameras, I already have the nest thermostats, and I've had the "lockitron" ordered since 2013 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

nytrydr89
05-11-2016, 10:08 AM
The sales guys are usually younger guys without much for knowledge or manners. The dude walked into my house with his shoes on LOL. I can look past the guy that knocks on doors all day for a living. Not worried about the sales guys more so the the product and service and whether its worth it for the people currently using the service.

speedog
05-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by nytrydr89
Any suggestions? Who are you using? What sort of cost per month?

I've been meaning to put up a couple cameras around the house and like the idea of being able to access it from a smart phone app. A Vivint rep was in my area yesterday and I like the idea of home monitoring as well as the additional features (doorbell camera, security camera, door locks, etc). I dont like the idea of being forced to sign a 42 month contract.

Now I know I could go out and purchase the doorbell camera, bluetooth door locks, and all that other crap but you still wont get the home monitoring services so I am leaning towards an alarm company that offers all these services in one package.

Any other suggestions outside of Vivint and if you have Vivint how is it??

beyond search will reveal this (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/392087/home-security-companies/) - quite recent and probably still very applicable.

lilmira
05-11-2016, 10:15 AM
I have been with Vivint for years. I don't have any complaints. My contract has expired and now I'm thinking about switching to self monitoring system. The monthly fee goes a long way for getting your own system. With the popularity of smartphones nowadays, you can easily assign access to other people in case you are out of reach. The only problem is internet connection. If it's down for whatever reason, you have nothing. I'm not too concern with breakins. I'm more concern with fire, temperature of the house, pipe burst that kind of things.

Darell_n
05-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Other than the totally rude and ignorant sales staff, I really like the Vivint system I have. Cost is $55/month and I have the automation pack with smart locks, cameras, t-stats, smoke, flood, garage control, appliance and lights, etc. Everything works well and they have good updates every few months.

Kloubek
05-11-2016, 10:26 AM
We have everything. Door sensors, alarm, IP camera, motion sensors, the whole bit. Ended up costing me some $400 in equipment, and we've been running it for years with no charge.

Sure, it isn't monitored by someone else, but if tripped it lets me know, and I can even confirm if there really is an intrusion with the IP cameras. I could relay the description of the perps to the cops directly. To me, that's even better, and I don't pay a thing outside my initial investment.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Where did you get all your equipment from?

403ep3
05-11-2016, 11:16 AM
We currently have the Canary system and ADT. When we move in to our new place we might think about getting rid of ADT altogether as it has given us more problems than anything (faulty equipment- had to leave work on many occasions).

We are likely to get a second Canary system as it has everything we need. 90db alarm, monitoring online, tests the air quality, can save and send videos, and have live feeds.

Hallowed_point
05-11-2016, 11:43 AM
What's wrong with a good ol' fashioned marine combat knife underneath the mattress? Much cheaper.

Kloubek
05-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
What's wrong with a good ol' fashioned marine combat knife underneath the mattress? Much cheaper.

Doesn't do much when you aren't at home. Most you can hope for is they slice their hand when looking for money under your mattress.

I got all my stuff of eBay some 5 years ago. I imagine the systems are far better half a decade later.

Xtrema
05-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Where did you get all your equipment from?

Rip off other people's cameras. :rofl:

I'm sourcing 2 Trendnet dome cameras and a poe hub and I'm over $400 already.

spike98
05-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Im with Vivint. Pretty pleased with them other than some BS around the availability of outdoor cameras.

I managed to get all of my stuff for free on only a 3 year term. Its extremely rare to get both but if you play the guy right, its not an issue.

I pay around $65+tax a month for the security and home automation package. This includes

2-Zwave Door locks
2-Glass break sensors
4-Window sensors
2-Door Sensors
1-Zwave garage door controller
1-Zwave smoke detector
1-Doorbell Cam
1-Outdoor cam (had to pay the $50 install on this)

Also if you do go vivint and plan on adding other hardware later, get him to remove the auto disable for the installer code. Google will tell you what the default code is.

All in all its a well put together system and the home automation portion is getting better with every update. I can control everything from the app and it hasn't failed me yet.

The_Penguin
05-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Rip off other people's cameras. :rofl:

I'm sourcing 2 Trendnet dome cameras and a poe hub and I'm over $400 already.

Do some digging, a lot of the Trendnet cameras are re-branded and marked up 200%

Sugarphreak
05-11-2016, 12:30 PM

lilmira
05-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Effective this year, police do not respond to home alarms anymore unless a break-in is confirmed by the home owner first

That means the most effective system you can have is a self monitored one that alerts your phone

Just report that someone is driving at 1km/h over the speed limit, they will send the swat team.

Xtrema
05-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Do some digging, a lot of the Trendnet cameras are re-branded and marked up 200%

They are rebranded Hikvision which is about $30 more for the one I'm looking at.

TrendNet seems to include software as well. What does everyone use for IP camera recording?

Darell_n
05-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Effective this year, police do not respond to home alarms anymore unless a break-in is confirmed by the home owner first

That means the most effective system you can have is a self monitored one that alerts your phone

Are you talking about the CPS? I have RCMP here.

ZeroGravity
05-11-2016, 02:22 PM

They are rebranded Hikvision which is about $30 more for the one I'm looking at.

TrendNet seems to include software as well. What does everyone use for IP camera recording?

I'm using the security software on my Qnap. (which only included two camera license)

The_Penguin
05-11-2016, 02:25 PM

Blue Iris. Insanely good for a very reasonable price.

Kari_310
05-11-2016, 02:29 PM
I recently got alarm force in my home. I did my research and it was the best price for the limited amount of devices i needed.

$38/month = $99 up front got me 2 door sensors, 1 motion detector, 1 smoke alarm sensor (which i traded for an additional motion detector, zero cost) and a touch screen tablet. It also comes with the app on your phone.
It also comes with the cellular technology so it doesn't work off of the wifi meaning if you're power or internet goes down so does your security. A lot of places were including this feature for a lot more money.

Even though it is on a 3 year contract, it doesn't matter to me since i'll be keeping it in this house regardless if i move or not i think it'll be a good selling/rental incentive given the area i live in.

71/454
05-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Not exactly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comments/4glqfq/note_for_anyone_with_alarm_system_changes_to/

2 zones tripped and they're supposed to call 2 keyholders first. It's unlikely it will change much, as soon as the siren goes off the guy will book it before the cops come anyway. Having to dial the people will confirm the false alarm though.
Anyone who ever got a false alarm bill set their alarm monitoring provider up to call them first instead of the cops.

I had my back door sensor go off for no reason once, no motion alarms tripped, they called me and I looked at my cameras to confirm it was false.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 71/454

Not exactly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comments/4glqfq/note_for_anyone_with_alarm_system_changes_to/

2 zones tripped and they're supposed to call 2 keyholders first. It's unlikely it will change much, as soon as the siren goes off the guy will book it before the cops come anyway. Having to dial the people will confirm the false alarm though.
Anyone who ever got a false alarm bill set their alarm monitoring provider up to call them first instead of the cops.

I had my back door sensor go off for no reason once, no motion alarms tripped, they called me and I looked at my cameras to confirm it was false.

I came in here to say this. It's not as cut and dry as Vivint tries to sell it.

Dave P
05-11-2016, 03:23 PM
https://img0.etsystatic.com/009/0/7370327/il_570xN.410215216_qmsv.jpg

Xtrema
05-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Alarms and monitoring only limits the time thieves spend in your home. They know if alarm goes off, go for master bedroom and grab jewelry and watches and book it under 10mins.

So say if you are on vacation out of town, you don't have to worry about they spend a whole day in your home cleaning you out.

I also heard a story that some B&E now disconnect your internet as well. So something like Alarm Force's cell tech is the best way to go.

Unless you never leave your home for more than 24hrs, paying someone else to monitor is a must.

taemo
05-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Alarms and monitoring only limits the time thieves spend in your home. They know if alarm goes off, go for master bedroom and grab jewelry and watches and book it under 10mins.

So say if you are on vacation out of town, you don't have to worry about they spend a whole day in your home cleaning you out.

I also heard a story that some B&E now disconnect your internet as well. So something like Alarm Force's cell tech is the best way to go.

Unless you never leave your home for more than 24hrs, paying someone else to monitor is a must.

well the one that broke in our house last September took his time walking around our house, then after spotting that I had 2 IP cameras, started disposing my PC,2 laptops, IP cameras and external drive in the tub filled with water.
probably 30-40min, with cops waiting for him to be cuffed on our driveway :rofl:

i still have my 2 cameras and also, for wife's peace of mind we had ADT installed. useful but don't bother getting their motion sensor camera, useless and we had it break 2-3 times over 6 months and we had it cancelled.

Sugarphreak
05-11-2016, 08:24 PM

nzwasp
08-05-2016, 10:40 AM
I setup the first of my two Swann Costco Cameras last night

http://i.imgur.com/gz4tUQv.png
and
http://i.imgur.com/aKJ1kQa.png

I plan to put the 2nd camera on the back deck somewhere. I have the IP cabling running in through the basement air intake and then to a POE switch I got on amazon for $40.

I also have an old wifi camera pointing down my steps at the front door. All of these cameras are recording on my Synology NAS.

I setup a wink home automation system as well to cover me if someone does enter my home through a door / window or set off the motion sensor.

I shared this info on how to setup this sort of system with my neighbors who have all been talking about it for the last six months but not one person wants to bother with doing it.

roopi
08-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I setup the first of my two Swann Costco Cameras last night

Which cameras did you buy from Costco? Link?

nzwasp
08-05-2016, 12:31 PM
They were these ones

http://www.costco.ca/Swann-3MP-Fixed-Lens-Dome-Camera---2-pack.product.100235617.html

However mine were not dome cameras. Not sure why I cant find the exact ones I ordered off their site.

taemo
12-29-2016, 06:57 PM
fyi http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Public-services/Security-and-alarm-permits-and-bylaws.aspx?redirect=/alarmbylaw

people on facebook freaking out on a 15$ yearly fee :rofl:

ShermanEF9
12-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Good lord am i happy to work for a security company.

I will be installing my own system in my new home, and my monitoring fees are $6/mo. with Cell backup.

roopi
12-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
Good lord am i happy to work for a security company.

I will be installing my own system in my new home, and my monitoring fees are $6/mo. with Cell backup.

For people who don't work at your company what is the monthly monitoring fee?

ShermanEF9
12-30-2016, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by roopi

For people who don't work at your company what is the monthly monitoring fee?

i think it varies between $20-$60/mo, depending on client. we only do commercial for the most part. all of our equipment is generally too expensive for the everyday home.

brandon
12-31-2016, 10:06 AM

i think it varies between $20-$60/mo, depending on client. we only do commercial for the most part. all of our equipment is generally too expensive for the everyday home.

What systems are you installing that aren't being used on homes these days? DMP? Or just the commercial versions of the same products like a Maxsys?

e36bmw///
12-31-2016, 11:42 AM
nm

brandon
12-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
Is there a security preference of wired vs. wireless camera systems? Aside from setup convenience?

If you have the opportunity to hard wire it, then absolutely do it.

Wireless is okay for the basic home owner with a wireless router nearby. But as you have with your laptop and phone, wireless drops and isn't 100% reliable. That and you will still need to run power to your camera..

ShermanEF9
12-31-2016, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by brandon

What systems are you installing that aren't being used on homes these days? DMP? Or just the commercial versions of the same products like a Maxsys?

We use Lenel and AMAG mostly, but more in the access control sense. i have done a few Verex installs as well, along with Lenel "offbrands" (feenics, mercury, etc.) also did a big DSC/Lenel integration for the city.

brandon
12-31-2016, 05:06 PM

We use Lenel and AMAG mostly, but more in the access control sense. i have done a few Verex installs as well, along with Lenel "offbrands" (feenics, mercury, etc.) also did a big DSC/Lenel integration for the city.

Gotcha, all mentioned are access control based systems. So then yes no home owner would go near those lol.

Assuming you're with convergent, jci or Stanley then, lol. Not to many players on this level!

CaptainReboot
12-31-2016, 07:17 PM
Is there a security preference of wired vs. wireless camera systems? Aside from setup convenience?

Go wired if you can as WiFi can drop. Last thing you want is the feed to cut out when something happens. I have 5 cameras in and around my house. Only one of them is wireless because of the location.

ShermanEF9
12-31-2016, 10:24 PM

Gotcha, all mentioned are access control based systems. So then yes no home owner would go near those lol.

Assuming you're with convergent, jci or Stanley then, lol. Not to many players on this level!

Yeah for sure. We are doing some DMP stuff as well. really nice product to use. Also played with DSC in the office, but we aren't a DSC dealer. I work for another one of the "big guys" but not well known :)

ShermanEF9
12-31-2016, 10:25 PM

Wireless won't perform as well as wired. and as said you're prone to packet loss. the other issue is a lot of times if they drop connection and don't reconnect, you're hooped until you can fix it on site.

brandon
01-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Yeah for sure. We are doing some DMP stuff as well. really nice product to use. Also played with DSC in the office, but we aren't a DSC dealer. I work for another one of the "big guys" but not well known :)

Cool man, and yeah DMP is by far my favorite, I'm finding more places besides financial institutions are finally converting over, which is a dream as remote link is a life saver for the more complicated systems.

ShermanEF9
01-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Cool man, and yeah DMP is by far my favorite, I'm finding more places besides financial institutions are finally converting over, which is a dream as remote link is a life saver for the more complicated systems.

I would rather be on fire while removing my eyes with spoons than program a large system with a keypad.

e36bmw///
01-06-2017, 11:11 PM
nm