PDA

View Full Version : Working in Lethbridge!!

C_Dave45
05-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Me and the boy are hangin out in Lethbridge for a couple of weeks. Doing a new construction K-6 school here.
Had dinner at Hudsons last night. Awesome food!
I sure love not having to fight traffic here. Staying 7 minutes from the job site at a Holiday Inn Express.
Love their pancake machine!!
Nice little town!

englishbob
05-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Wait till market day ....do they still have a curfew?

BensonTT
05-11-2016, 08:44 PM
I hate Lethbridge.. Windy as fuk.. Always mess up my hair!

Rat Fink
05-11-2016, 09:24 PM

C_Dave45
05-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
I hate Lethbridge.. Windy as fuk.. Always mess up my hair!
Hahaha...just last night we were both complaining about "the fucking wind". It wasn't just breezy, it was blowing hard and really cold because of it.

revelations
05-11-2016, 11:55 PM
There is East and West LA. East is pretty sketchy in places (esp the core) but then you have the lake and the river which are really nice. West isnt too bad though. Love the LED lights at night.

While youre there, there is some pretty decent sushi by the place close to McGregor lake - on Mayor Mcgrath Dr.

unkicrackie99
05-12-2016, 06:07 AM
Which school are you working on? I can't think of any school close to Holiday Inn. If I recall correctly there is two school constructions in town: Copperwood and Legacy Ridge.

Darell_n
05-12-2016, 06:25 AM
The newer Best Western on the east side has free beer and pub food for their guests every Tuesday. They even use to leave a couple of cans of beer outside your hotel door for you. :). Also shares the parking lot with a Timmies and Coulee Brew Co. so you better change hotels pronto if you are still there Tuesday.

mr2mike
05-12-2016, 08:58 AM
I'd check this place out with your son if you're there over the weekend.

http://www.nikkayuko.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikka_Yuko_Japanese_Garden

Always wanted to check the place out.

C_Dave45
05-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by unkicrackie99
Which school are you working on? I can't think of any school close to Holiday Inn. If I recall correctly there is two school constructions in town: Copperwood and Legacy Ridge.
Yup, the one in Legacy Ridge.

Free beer at the new Best Western?!! Really?!!!! :drool: I don't see anything on their site about it...I'll have to get to the bottom of this legend!!
We're coming home for the weekend but right back for next week.

Darell_n
05-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Free beer at the new Best Western?!! Really?!!!! :drool: I don't see anything on their site about it...I'll have to get to the bottom of this legend!!

I was there a few months ago. Pretty cool deal, the owner was sitting with us shootin' the shit and cracking jokes.

NoPulp
05-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Nice! Welcome to lethbridge.
Ps it hasnt my been windy lately lol
Let me know if you want to know places to eat!

Originally posted by revelations
There is East and West LA. East is pretty sketchy in places (esp the core) but then you have the lake and the river which are really nice. West isnt too bad though. Love the LED lights at night.

While youre there, there is some pretty decent sushi by the place close to McGregor lake - on Mayor Mcgrath Dr.

What is the east side? There's only North, South and then west.

Lethbridge is only really sketchy near the railway tracks. Then there's a few spots on the north and starting to be a few on the west. Not much sketchy on South.

What is mcgregor lake?

sputnik
05-13-2016, 07:26 AM
Free beer at the new Best Western?!! Really?!!!! :drool:

This is REALLY common in the US.

Generally on Mon-Thurs at hotels they have a "Managers Reception" which is generally a complementary light supper with free beer/wine.

C_Dave45
05-13-2016, 07:27 AM
Not much time for any exploring. Working 7 to 7. Shower, eat, then fall asleep.
Ate at Hudsons 2 of the nights. Excellent food. Then ordered in BPs last night after a soak in the hot tub.
Might try Sushi next week. Today will be a long day, work and driving home for the weekend.

NoPulp
05-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Not much time for any exploring. Working 7 to 7. Shower, eat, then fall asleep.
Ate at Hudsons 2 of the nights. Excellent food. Then ordered in BPs last night after a soak in the hot tub.
Might try Sushi next week. Today will be a long day, work and driving home for the weekend.

You're staying beside hudson right?

Try streetside eatery. Very close to you. If you like desserts, save some room.

For sushi lighthouse is the closest to you. It's not my personal favorite but my Japanese friends say it's the most traditional? Has a decent rep in lethbridge.

Oshos is my favorite. Dono sushi is also good, though some things are weird and service is sketchy at times.

Original Joes is near legacy. Always good. Pops pub north is between legacy and your hotel, good place for pub food and drinks.

For pizza order or eat in at 2 guys for sure!

If you want more suggestions let me know.

black300
03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Hey,

I will be heading out there for a weekend for some work related stuff.

I saw their Park Place mall seems pretty decent considering the size of the town.

Population as per Google is ~94,000 I thought it would be more, but perhaps majority of the students are not accounted for.

Anything else to go check out, I am a big fan of Pizza. So that would be a bonus.

NoPulp
03-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Park Place mall is decent I suppose for the size of the city. Right now the food court is getting some work and there are some stores closed (typical store changeover). There is also 2 ebgames in the mall (1 inside, 1 outside), which I find so weird considering its size...

Stuff to do? Depends what you're in to, Google may be more helpful unless there's something specific.
2 guys pizza is fantastic if you're into non traditional pizza topping combinations.

rx7_turbo2
03-22-2017, 08:39 PM
It's a "managers meet and greet". Free wings, perogies, spicy rolls, beer, wine. 5pm to 7pm Tuesdays.

I'm usually down there a night or two a month, I try to make that night a Tuesday. :)

J-hop
03-22-2017, 09:45 PM
Me and the boy are hangin out in Lethbridge for a couple of weeks. Doing a new construction K-6 school here.
Had dinner at Hudsons last night. Awesome food!
I sure love not having to fight traffic here. Staying 7 minutes from the job site at a Holiday Inn Express.
Love their pancake machine!!
Nice little town!

Yea I actually quite like Lethbridge. Plus you at least have some cool car events down in that area.

Heard for the younger folk it can kind of suck as in the summer you have a mass exodus of those attending the uni so you have a lot of seasonal friends.

timdog
03-23-2017, 08:28 AM
i've actually considered moving there, seems like a good option... but i just hate wind too much.

Brent.ff
03-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by black300
Anything else to go check out, I am a big fan of Pizza. So that would be a bonus.

Two Guys is definitely a place to visit. I was working down there two years ago and was having pizza daily there..

R-Audi
03-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by timdog
i've actually considered moving there, seems like a good option... but i just hate wind too much.

There is always a trade-off. Lethbridge is consistenty warmer than Calgary and gets less snow... yet gets windy I lived there for 4.5 years during school, I loved it.

heavyD
03-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by timdog

If you are 60 you will love it seeing it's the retirement capital of Alberta. It's crawling with seniors, Mennonites, natives, etc so if that's your thing you may really like it. Not a great place for younger people as it's recognized as one of the most boring cities (google it) in Canada for a well deserved reason. My father and my in-laws live their because that's where old people go to die in this province. I don't like it (close to hate it) much at all but they get much nicer weather than Calgary especially in the summer where it gets quite hot and dry.

NoPulp
03-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Lol! It's not that bad!

bjstare
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
So much wind. I wouldn't live there if I got a free house, wind is my most hated of all weather elements :rofl:

heavyD
03-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Lol! It's not that bad!

It all depends on where you are coming from. If you were born and raised in Calgary there's a very good chance you will hate it as it's more a big small town than a city. If you grew up in a small town there's a good chance you will like it. I grew up in small town southern Alberta and small town people that consider Calgary too big move to Lethbridge. It's as vibrant as a dead dog.

I haven't even brought the wind in the conversation because IMO it's down the list of cons to me.

NoPulp
03-24-2017, 12:10 PM
No sense in arguing with you because like you said, yeah it depends on the lifestyle you're use to.

I've actually lived in both cities and still travel between the two very regularly. I think I might eventually like to live in Calgary mostly for the friends I have there.

It would definitely be hard for me to leave Lethbridge though. Its very affordable (salary vs cost of living I think lethbridge is better), traffic, road conditions, economic stability, property size...etc.

Any where you go will have issues with different people such as minorities. I personally find Calgary worse.
There are a lot of old people and students. The old people come in from surrounding towns and farms when they retire or need assistance.

The wind isn't that bad. You get use to it, I actually missed it alot when living in Kelowna. It brings in fresh air (no smog) and melts the snow in the winter.

heavyD
03-24-2017, 01:22 PM
No sense in arguing with you because like you said, yeah it depends on the lifestyle you're use to.

I've actually lived in both cities and still travel between the two very regularly. I think I might eventually like to live in Calgary mostly for the friends I have there.

It would definitely be hard for me to leave Lethbridge though. Its very affordable (salary vs cost of living I think lethbridge is better), traffic, road conditions, economic stability, property size...etc.

Any where you go will have issues with different people such as minorities. I personally find Calgary worse.
There are a lot of old people and students. The old people come in from surrounding towns and farms when they retire or need assistance.

The wind isn't that bad. You get use to it, I actually missed it alot when living in Kelowna. It brings in fresh air (no smog) and melts the snow in the winter.

Yep. There's acquaintances I grew up with that live there and like it as does our parents. It's just not for me and I've spent my share of time there. That said if I had to choose between Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, or Red Deer I would probably opt for the West side of Lethrbridge. Are the cops there still total dicks?

heavyD
03-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Yep. There's acquaintances I grew up with that live there and like it as does our parents. It's just not for me and I've spent my share of time there. That said if I had to choose between Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, or Red Deer I would probably opt for the West side of Lethrbridge. Are the cops there still like Nazis?