PDA

View Full Version : Getting a small truck unsure which to get

ekguy
05-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Well time to get a truck. Just had financed a car and regretted right away not getting a truck but my hand's been forced since someone made an illegal left turn and totaled my car.

So now I feel like replacing with a tacoma or ranger.

A lot of Tacoma's in the price range im looking are upwards of 290,000kms or more.

How reliable is it at high mileage? And rangers? Opinions? It's a ford but they seem decent.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, never had a truck but it fits my lifestyle better than a sedan.

ekguy
05-12-2016, 11:19 AM
And i don't plan on doing any extreme wheeling with it. So would I be better off with a manual or auto?

G-ZUS
05-12-2016, 11:22 AM
4L Ranger :thumbsup:

jwslam
05-12-2016, 11:58 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/398505/fs-2001-mazda-b3000/

ekguy
05-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Looking for a 4x4 sorry. If im going to get a truck im going to get one I can use.

But thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

roopi
05-12-2016, 12:16 PM
What is your price range?

Abeo
05-12-2016, 12:27 PM
I've had a ranger in one form or another since 2008.

Right now I have a 2wd 2.3, and a 4.0 4wd

The early sohc 4.0's have timing chain guide issues, and can require taking the engine out to repair. The axles and drivetrain is solid, and some parts are shared with the 95-2000 explorer, so readily available available at the junkyard. The 3.0 is wheezy and underpowered

4wd = bad on fuel (like, 15+ L/100 km)

They are basic trucks. Don't expect modern levels of comfort or convenience

I beat on my 4wd, and I've had to maintain it a fair bit because of it. The truck is pretty simple to work on and parts are readily available

revelations
05-12-2016, 01:01 PM
We had a 2006 4x4 4L V6 super cab Ranger. It wasn't very sophisticated as far as design and was very heavy for its size and thus fuel economy suffered. Still got better mileage than the inline-4 models though.

It was a DD and then was used part time for hauling. A couple of minor electrical issues (power window and wipers) but otherwise no major issues and had 200,000k when we bought it. The 4x4 automatic hubs are problematic but we had no issues with ours.

You can get them fairly cheap. Our was fully loaded (leather) and I would recommend something like this (price I cant comment on though)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-ford-ranger-super-cab-4x4-88-000-kms/1163765477?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

theken
05-12-2016, 01:09 PM
What's the price range? I've just recently been looking at the canyons and they seem pretty decent. But if you are on the low end of the price range look to the 93 to 2000 s10/s15. I had an 84 up until recently and it is still the most reliable thing I have ever owned. And parts are super cheap and easy to Work on

ekguy
05-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Well im guessing i'll have between 5000 to 10000 so a pretty decent range.

Rocket1k78
05-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Im a big fan of the tacos but they hold value like no other so expect to pay a lot more for a lot less if you're comparing them to the rangers or anything domestic. Im sure theyre really reliable too so i wouldnt be too worried about higher mileage.

Brent.ff
05-12-2016, 01:41 PM
I wanted a Taco since i was a teenager, and bought one new a couple years ago... Love every minute with it

Proyecto2000
05-12-2016, 02:09 PM
i might be biased after owning 2 Frontiers but Frontier > Tacoma :D

roopi
05-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
i might be biased after owning 2 Frontiers but Frontier > Tacoma :D

Definitely bias. :D

Rocket1k78
05-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
I wanted a Taco since i was a teenager, and bought one new a couple years ago... Love every minute with it

Did this have anything to do with it?

Proyecto2000
05-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Well back in 2009 I wanted a Tacoma and after the test drive I wasn't impressed. I drove the Frontier and liked it way better so I bought it.

in 2014 I went back to Toyota drove the Tacoma again and I bought a 2014 Frontier...

At the end of the day buying a vehicle comes down to personal preference but for myself the Frontier was better in power and over all driving feeling.

I will say that the Frontier needed a refresh years ago and it is terrible on gas as I average 16.5L/100 in the city and my 2009 was 17L/100 in the city. :nut:

Aleks
05-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Other than resale, he's not... :burnout:

Hallowed_point
05-13-2016, 08:07 AM
My brother has had his 05 Nissan Frontier for 5 years now. It's pretty quick with the 265 hp 4.0 L V6. He's added an under drive pulley, CAI and exhaust. It's well below 7 seconds for 0-60 now. He hasn't had to put much into it for repairs. He's just done his first rotor/pad replacement now. The interior is a little cheap looking and the jump seats in the back are a joke. But other than that, it's a capable little truck. Decent fuel economy too. 14 L/100 kms city 9.4 highway.

Brent.ff
05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Did this have anything to do with it?

haha that never hurt!

ekguy
05-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
My brother has had his 05 Nissan Frontier for 5 years now. It's pretty quick with the 265 hp 4.0 L V6. He's added an under drive pulley, CAI and exhaust. It's well below 7 seconds for 0-60 now. He hasn't had to put much into it for repairs. He's just done his first rotor/pad replacement now. The interior is a little cheap looking and the jump seats in the back are a joke. But other than that, it's a capable little truck. Decent fuel economy too. 14 L/100 kms city 9.4 highway.

Yeah I was looking into these as well. Basically as long as I can haul my mountain bikes and caming gear im good.

How reliable is the supercharged 6 from nissan?

I've expanded the search to 4runners/Rangers/Pathfinders/Tacomas/Landcruiser/B series/Canyon/Colorado/Sonoma/S10

Any others would fit the bill?

Aleks
05-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ekguy

Yeah I was looking into these as well. Basically as long as I can haul my mountain bikes and caming gear im good.

I've expanded the search to 4runners/Rangers/Pathfinders/Tacomas/Landcruiser/B series/Canyon/Colorado/Sonoma/S10

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-honda-ridgeline/1161756395

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2007-honda-ridgeline-4wd/1153825033

JohnnyHockey
05-13-2016, 11:12 AM
If you're looking at those Frontiers look under and see if the radiator bypass has been done and check coolant for pink/purple milkshake of death. Otherwise I think I want one as well after having a trusty 06 Pathfinder for a couple years. ..sold it with 279,000 km on the clock and still ran like new and the 4 lt v6 is awesome. ..290 ft lbs of torque.

euro_racer
05-13-2016, 11:25 AM
I used to have a 08 Tacoma as my first truck, it was OK but felt kind of useless when it came time for it to do "truck stuff". Mind you, it was a short box and that added to a lot of the issues ie. can't haul a quad. (lesson learned). I also found it pretty gutless, small inside, not that good on gas... It didn't take long before I realized that the only trucks worth getting are full size trucks.

Sold the Taco, bought a 1500 Silverado and am not looking back. For the same money I got a newer truck that has more options, is more capable, comfortable, better on gas, and just as reliable.

The Frontier has the edge over the Taco on most things IMO with it's major downfall being resale (although at your budget it does not matter as much). If i was looking for a Frontier I would go with an N/A engine

Edit: Like Aleks suggested the Ridgeline is a great truck too, but don't expect to get too much use out of that box :D

NoPulp
05-13-2016, 01:27 PM
IMO Rangers are pointless... gas mileage is a joke. But nobody should be buying a truck for gas mileage.

I would recommend to just skip the small trucks and get a half ton. I don't see much of an advantage to smaller trucks. They're not much better on gas and they're not even much smaller in size. Get better interior, power and versatility out of a half ton.

If you must get a smaller truck, taco has my vote. Look the best and seem to hold value good.

Hallowed_point
05-13-2016, 01:49 PM

He uses it to haul his dirt/street bike/commute/light off roading etc. It's very capable for what it is. I'd say it's miles ahead of the ranger in every dept except maybe fuel economy.

InRich
05-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/398505/fs-2001-mazda-b3000/

what a rip off. 3k for that junk? you crae? maybe 800

btimbit
05-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
IMO Rangers are pointless... gas mileage is a joke. But nobody should be buying a truck for gas mileage.

I would recommend to just skip the small trucks and get a half ton. I don't see much of an advantage to smaller trucks. They're not much better on gas and they're not even much smaller in size. Get better interior, power and versatility out of a half ton.

If you must get a smaller truck, taco has my vote. Look the best and seem to hold value good.

I agree with this. And they're not even cheaper to buy and own that a half ton. I love every small truck I've driven and wanted a Tacoma badly for many years. Just doesn't seem worth it to me though

jwslam
05-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by InRich
what a rip off. 3k for that junk? you crae? maybe 800
And what nice things do you have to say about his other ad?
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/fs-1999-chev-silverado-1500/showthread.php?s=&postid=4567318#post4567318

Proyecto2000
05-13-2016, 11:47 PM
When I traded in my 09 for the 14 Nissan gave me $18.5k for a 5 year old Pro-4X crew cab with 110k kms and it was in 7/10 condition. Bought the exact same truck with every factory accessory and remote starter for $39k so I would say that resale value is decent.

OP, you could probably find a decent deal on an 2005+ Xterra as well like these ones:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-nissan-xterra-off-road-reduced-price/1160463722?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$5000 KMs are crazy high at 228k though

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-nissan-xterra-brushbar-and-4-pencil-beam-kc-lights/1160996257?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$9.5k with 150k kms.

r3ccOs
05-14-2016, 09:31 AM
of the small trucks I drove... I have to say that the older, which is impossible to find, 4.3 S10 Zr2 were not bad if you didn't mind the front end work.

The Ranger 4.0 w/ tow package is surprisingly stout, but rangers lacked any crew cab options.

the dakota 4.7 w/ the twin spark plugs was bordering on capabilities of a half ton, but still in a "smallish" size.

colorado/canyons were awful

Taco/Frontier are fine trucks as well, but have gotten larger over the years... half almost halfton payload capabilities... and the taco holds its value.

I've not driven the frontier but I reckon it to be just like the xterra, and that 4.0L engine is quite strong

ekguy
05-15-2016, 01:39 AM
Love the advice so far!!

I'm not that concerned with passenger comfort. As long as I can fit 3 bikes in or on the truck and 3 people in the cab somehow, it'll do the trick. The only limiting factor to me biking every weekend has been lack of a truck.

Not going to go bigger than a Ranger/Taco/Frontier as I know I will never need a bigger truck than that.

To be honest I'd almost rock a early 90's s10. My dad had one back in the day and the thing was bulletproof

InRich
05-15-2016, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

And what nice things do you have to say about his other ad?
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/fs-1999-chev-silverado-1500/showthread.php?s=&postid=4567318#post4567318

bro... get off it. move on. lifes too short.

GQBalla
05-15-2016, 08:21 AM
I test drove the new tacomas as well. Was not impressed.

I love the tundra but 4Runner was more practical for me.

InRich
05-15-2016, 11:43 AM
^ i know right? Last time I walked into a Toyota dealership, test drove the Tocoma and the Tundra, and I gotta say... Those trucks are pieces of shit! The Tocoma, interior felt, like I was ina cheap 1990s Corolla. And they were asking 56k for it! Its absurd. For 56k I you can get a REALLY NICE F150, which is superior in every way.

The Tundra, was the worst truck I test drove when I was looking at trucks. It was gutless, cheap interior, very noisy on the high way, it didn't have a 4wheel Auto mode, which I found in every other truck I test drove. It was just junk. and they wanted 70+k for it. I mean....

When Helen was looking for a SUV, back when I was dating her, we test drove a RAV4. and that was the worst vehicle I ever test drove in my life, and it was expensive.

I really dont know why people pay good money for Toyotas. I get it, their supposed to be reliable, and good resale value, but their fucking garbage.

I'm personally never walking into a Toyota dealership again. waste of time

btw. notice how hard it is to step in and out of the Tocoma, when its equipped with their stock steppers? its UNREAL!

r3ccOs
05-15-2016, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by InRich
^ i know right? Last time I walked into a Toyota dealership, test drove the Tocoma and the Tundra, and I gotta say... Those trucks are pieces of shit! The Tocoma, interior felt, like I was ina cheap 1990s Corolla. And they were asking 56k for it! Its absurd. For 56k I you can get a REALLY NICE F150, which is superior in every way.

The Tundra, was the worst truck I test drove when I was looking at trucks. It was gutless, cheap interior, very noisy on the high way, it didn't have a 4wheel Auto mode, which I found in every other truck I test drove. It was just junk. and they wanted 70+k for it. I mean....

When Helen was looking for a SUV, back when I was dating her, we test drove a RAV4. and that was the worst vehicle I ever test drove in my life, and it was expensive.

I really dont know why people pay good money for Toyotas. I get it, their supposed to be reliable, and good resale value, but their fucking garbage.

I'm personally never walking into a Toyota dealership again. waste of time

btw. notice how hard it is to step in and out of the Tocoma, when its equipped with their stock steppers? its UNREAL!

though I can somewhat agree that Japanese vehicles feel "japanese" I won't say that means they are garbage.

honestly the Taco and the Tundra fulfill and compliment the lineup by providing 2 distinct type of vehicles and their SUV offerings... and though I would't buy one, the Taco is IMO still the king of the small/offroad "sport" trucks.

they are made to be utilitarian and to stand up to true off road abuse, and are nimble in size to actually be useful offroad.

the Tundra could use some investment in its chassis, asit is not class leading anywhere, with the exception of its reliability.
The truck may not be turbo'd, direct injected, lockered, full box frame, aluminum etc.. but it also is not irrelevant.

I will even go out on a limb here and say that the 1794/Platinum is one of the nicest truck interiors and maybe the best "seating position" out of all truck cabs.

Its engine is very solid and powerful, and IMO superior to the 5.3 and just as good as the Hemi

carson blocks
05-15-2016, 05:04 PM
They've come so far with mileage on the full size trucks, I couldn't be bothered with the small ones anymore, and I used to love my S10s and Rangers. My Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 5.7 gets better real world mileage than the RWD 4.0 Ranger and 4.3 Sonoma I've had, and also better than my buddys old ('14?) Tacoma 4.0 4x4.

Pricing wise, they don't make sense anymore either. New, the Canyon/Colorado/Frontier/Tacoma are priced way too close to a good domestic full size truck, and the used market is overpriced due to people willing to spend thousands more for the illusion of better economy.

r3ccOs
05-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
They've come so far with mileage on the full size trucks, I couldn't be bothered with the small ones anymore, and I used to love my S10s and Rangers. My Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 5.7 gets better real world mileage than the RWD 4.0 Ranger and 4.3 Sonoma I've had, and also better than my buddys old ('14?) Tacoma 4.0 4x4.

Pricing wise, they don't make sense anymore either. New, the Canyon/Colorado/Frontier/Tacoma are priced way too close to a good domestic full size truck, and the used market is overpriced due to people willing to spend thousands more for the illusion of better economy.

I think as there has been a growing truck market specifically in the crew cab shortbox variation (as a compromise to an SUV/Crossover), that is where the investment has been mostly focused in.

Its hard to justify a Taco (even with the latest goodies) when for the same prices you could end up in a F150 all the same goodies, and w/ the Aluminium, almost the same weight...
Meanwhile, add almost a hundred more horsepower and plus that in torque... way more cabin space, a functional box, and over double the towing capability... and even more impressive is probably shaving over a second in 0-60 time.

That said, the Taco has its place and its the segement leader there.

I love offroaders, but the older I'm getting the more I appreciate versatility, and I'd sooner take a Taco than a Wrangler.

But its I think a "niche" which is why you don't get the value that you get in the half ton segment.

A jeep rubicon unlimited is almost the same price as a Ram Rebel or Ram Sport/Laramie, which not only is MUCH more vehicle, but also has a SUBSTANTIALLY nicer interior.

Meanwhile... I even think that just because of the demand for the half ton, and the competition in leading the class in both capability and fuel economy has yielded some really amazing half ton trucks, especially in the last 5 years.

That again is where the development on 1/4 ton trucks has been diminishing...
No more Ranger, no more dakota...
No changes to the Frontier, and really the Canyon and Taco are the contenders.

In the big-boy segment, I too find that changes are very pragmatic...
Look at the superduty. Since 2003, I'm certain the cab remains fairly unchanged.
Yes there has been improvements in the diesel side of things, but really its been: Duramax, Cummins and a series of awful powerstrokes (asides from the 7.3/6.7)

for your use case... I'd be happy with a ext cab daktoka w/ the 4.7 magnum engine, or a Ranger w/ the 4.0L
I wouldn't bother looking for anything much older or newer, nor the Japanese variants as they will cost you more.

kaput
05-15-2016, 09:59 PM

JohnnyHockey
05-15-2016, 10:42 PM
I thought the new Frontier is confirmed for NA.

Abeo
05-16-2016, 08:42 AM

I'm not that concerned with passenger comfort. As long as I can fit 3 bikes in or on the truck and 3 people in the cab somehow, it'll do the trick. The only limiting factor to me biking every weekend has been lack of a truck.

Not going to go bigger than a Ranger/Taco/Frontier as I know I will never need a bigger truck than that.

To be honest I'd almost rock a early 90's s10. My dad had one back in the day and the thing was bulletproof

If you want to transport 3 people with any sort of comfort, I'd look away from the ranger or anything with jump seats. They are OK for short trips, but that's about it.

I'd look at a Frontier or Taco with the double cab. I don't like GM, but if you do, there is the S10 ZR5 as well

r3ccOs
05-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by kaput

Development hasn't been diminishing. Ford has an all new Ranger, and Nissan recently released a redesigned Navara that would be a suitable replacement for the Frontier. Both vehicles are available overseas. I don't know why they keep them out of the North American market.

http://photos.carsguide.com.au/car/0426/5774/2016_ford_ranger_new_4265774_1_l.jpg

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2015_nissan_navara_np300_d23_australia_04-0601-1400x901.jpg

That's because it's a Mazda.

It's like how there is the Hilux, the Petrol, LC, and in diesel variants...

Good ole reliable Japanese diesel trucks for the rest of the world that doesn't need a cab to sit NA fat assess and their big toys

Brent.ff
05-16-2016, 12:42 PM
I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..

Aleks
05-16-2016, 02:01 PM
I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..

Only reason I know this is because when I was looking and comparing a Tacoma to a Tundra I looked up the dimensions. Tundra Crewmax has the exact same turning radius as the Tacoma Double cab. 44ft. :eek:

Brent.ff
05-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Only reason I know this is because when I was looking and comparing a Tacoma to a Tundra I looked up the dimensions. Tundra Crewmax has the exact same turning radius as the Tacoma Double cab. 44ft. :eek:

more impressed with the Tundra then anything on that, Tacoma has a decently small radius (smaller then the colorado and frontier in their largest config)

NoPulp
05-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Is North America actually getting a new ranger? A decent ranger has been rumored even before it was gone. The idea of a light duty f150 has been around for along time as well. To my knowledge I've only heard about smaller Ford trucks in other parts of the world. Nothing for North America. South america has some really interesting ones.

I honestly don't see any real advantage to a small truck. Perhaps the older ones, but new ones aren't even very small anymore.

kaput
05-16-2016, 05:06 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
05-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by kaput

How different are the Hilux and Tacoma? They seem like the domestic / international version of the same truck to me.

Dimensions and ergonomics of them are different, they aren't rebadge like a 4runner/GX/Prado LC.

They did share the old 4 liter V6 for many years but most people opt for diesel overseas.

North americans want luxury from all their trucks, where as overseas, a truck is a truck.

ekguy
05-17-2016, 12:00 AM

That's my exact thinking. I will never tow a trailer and if I ever do i'll get a proper "truck" for that. Right now I want to bike as much as humanly possible to do so. A small truck is all I'll need as mountain bikes and tents are not heavy.

I have more than enough friends with f250's and bigger for any of my hauling needs.

Personally I've always preferred smaller vehicles (owned mostly coupes and a couple 2 seaters)

I find out soon what's going on with my claim and then hopefully truck time.

r3ccOs
05-17-2016, 08:56 AM

That's my exact thinking. I will never tow a trailer and if I ever do i'll get a proper "truck" for that. Right now I want to bike as much as humanly possible to do so. A small truck is all I'll need as mountain bikes and tents are not heavy.

I have more than enough friends with f250's and bigger for any of my hauling needs.

Personally I've always preferred smaller vehicles (owned mostly coupes and a couple 2 seaters)

I find out soon what's going on with my claim and then hopefully truck time.

Personally I liked the older Wrangler, Unlimited.... That was a proper off-road truck ... Like a larger side by side ATV. It was IMO better built than the current wrangler, with a bulletproof 4.0 that was underpowered.