PDA

View Full Version : family member took my car and got a no insurance ticket

8baller8
05-16-2016, 06:51 PM
I have two vehicles and one of them was uninsured. A family member took my uninured vehicle unknowingly and got a ticket for no registration and no insurance. Vehicle is in my name, as I am the registered owner and tickets are both in his name.

Am i screwed here? Any advice?

D'z Nutz
05-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Report the vehicle as stolen :rofl:

8baller8
05-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Am i on the hook for anything? Does this affect my ins. Premiums at all?

pheoxs
05-16-2016, 07:17 PM
I believe (not 100% sure) it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure any vehicle they are driving has adequate registration and insurance. I believe there was a thread on 780tuners of someone taking a bike for a test drive and getting caught and the driver, not the owner, was on the hook.

That being said someone more knowledgeable can hopefully confirm

G
05-16-2016, 09:21 PM
So if both tickets are in his name and the car wasn't impounded I don't see an issue here.

rage2
05-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Tickets are under his name. You're fine.

carson blocks
05-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Like a couple others have said, you're fine. No impound, no RO (registered owner) tickets to you = not your problem.

8baller8
05-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Is there anyway he could get out of this? What are his options? Are his premiums going to double? How screwed is he?

Shlade
05-16-2016, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8
Is there anyway he could get out of this? What are his options? Are his premiums going to double? How screwed is he?

Pretty fucked. Unless he can prove he had insurance and registration on that day he's SOL. Obviously go to court for it. It's the drivers responsibility to ensure that they have proper papers.

His insurance will sky rocket for sure. He can ask for minimum fine and time to pay (6 months etc..) no insurance tickets are nothing to joke about.

Kloubek
05-17-2016, 12:16 AM
Nope. Expensive too. Last I heard they were what... $2400? $2600? That was several years ago.

And that's just the fine. Added insurance premiums are likely going to be significant... but its private insurance companies so increases will vary.

Be a good family member and provide the lube.

ExtraSlow
05-17-2016, 06:56 AM
Does this family member has insurance on other vehicles? Someone chime in here, but isn't there a rider available where your insurance follows you into whatever vehicle you are in?

speedog
05-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Does this family member has insurance on other vehicles? Someone chime in here, but isn't there a rider available where your insurance follows you into whatever vehicle you are in?

Don't take this as an accurate reply because I am not an insurance expert by any means but I believe your insurance may follow you if you have an incident while operating someone else's vehicle but this is a totally different situation. Please note I may be totally out to left field on my assumption above but with respect to the no insurance ticket, if that were the case that insurance on your vehicle would cover you on another vehicle that has no insurance then why would anyone bother to have insurance on multiple vehicles.

Come to think of it, even my first assumption above seems whacked - hopefully someone in the auto insurance industry can chime in here.

rx7boi
05-17-2016, 08:26 AM
No insurance / no registration ticket, on top of whatever he got pulled over for in the first place?

:rofl: :rofl:

Never hired anyone before for a ticket but if I were to, it'd be for this one.

speedog
05-17-2016, 08:29 AM
After doing some reading, I believe it's your policy that covers anyone you lend your vehicle to except in the case identified by the OaP.

Thus, our sole vehicle which I believe is under an insurance policy that only covers drivers over 25 would put us at personal risk if we lent it to someone under 25.

ae92gts
05-17-2016, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Nope. Expensive too. Last I heard they were what... $2400? $2600? That was several years ago.

And that's just the fine. Added insurance premiums are likely going to be significant... but its private insurance companies so increases will vary.

Be a good family member and provide the lube.

My brother just finished paying off his no insurance and registration tickets. $3200 and I think he said that was reduced during the court hearing.

Mibz
05-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
No insurance / no registration ticket, on top of whatever he got pulled over for in the first place? I'm guessing he got pulled over for expired registration. I'm told that traffic cops are constantly checking plates while driving.

bjstare
05-17-2016, 09:27 AM
:rofl: This sucks for OPs family member. But seriously, isn't this something everyone would at least consider looking into before you just grab the keys for a car? I would never take someones car without asking them first, or at least have had some type of conversation about it.

Unless, of course, OP told the family member to take whichever car whenever they want, and neglected to inform them that one might not be insured. If that's the case, bigtime dick move haha.

rx7boi
05-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I'm guessing he got pulled over for expired registration. I'm told that traffic cops are constantly checking plates while driving.

For sure. But at any given time there's plenty of cars on the road so maybe it was just blind luck that they happened to do a random check on their vehicle lol.

LadyLuck
05-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi

For sure. But at any given time there's plenty of cars on the road so maybe it was just blind luck that they happened to do a random check on their vehicle lol.

It takes a second to glance over at someones plate and see the registration sticker was expired before you decide to run them and see if its actually valid or not.

8baller8
05-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ae92gts

My brother just finished paying off his no insurance and registration tickets. $3200 and I think he said that was reduced during the court hearing.

Is ir technically a criminal record?

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I'm guessing he got pulled over for expired registration. I'm told that traffic cops are constantly checking plates while driving. that's time well spent imo. Get the broke asses off the roads.

rage2
05-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Is ir technically a criminal record?
Nope.

8baller8
05-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

cancer man
05-18-2016, 12:03 AM
He found a nice guy,, no Ins or Registration is generally a tow to impound and a tow truck to get it out.

speedog
05-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
He found a nice guy,, no Ins or Registration is generally a tow to impound and a tow truck to get it out.

This, the CPS officer let an uninsured and unregistered get back on the road that could've caused huge headaches for another party if your relative had got into an at fault accident.

Masked Bandit
05-19-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Shlade

Pretty fucked. Unless he can prove he had insurance and registration on that day he's SOL. Obviously go to court for it. It's the drivers responsibility to ensure that they have proper papers.

His insurance will sky rocket for sure. He can ask for minimum fine and time to pay (6 months etc..) no insurance tickets are nothing to joke about.

Sorry it took me a bit to get to this guys, I've been out of town for work. The family member that got the tickets isn't going to suffer at all beyond the cost of the tickets themselves. Having a no insurance / no registration conviction on your abstract does nothing towards future insurance premiums. I stupid 10 over speeding ticket hurts you worse. Assuming the family member can pay his fines, neither of you have anything to worry about.

Kloubek
05-19-2016, 05:03 PM
No kidding? That's ridiculous that no insurance doesn't give you demerits.

Well, good for the family member in question I suppose. It is still a hefty fine, but even that could probably be negotiated with the crown.

Masked Bandit
05-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
No kidding? That's ridiculous that no insurance doesn't give you demerits.

Well, good for the family member in question I suppose. It is still a hefty fine, but even that could probably be negotiated with the crown.

It definitely defies logic, no doubt about it. The general idea is that moving violations like speeding, fail to signal, etc. all impact your insurance premiums because they show a specific negative driving behaviour. Administrative sins like no insurance or no registration doesn't indicate a driving behaviour per se. A lack of respect for the law...sure, but it doesn't indicate if you're at risk for an accident or not.

It's this general concept that will eventually change distracted driving tickets from their current state (expensive parking ticket) to the same class as other moving violations (with demerits).