PDA

View Full Version : C4/C5 corvette or ?

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 10:49 AM
So now that I've got my condo purchase taken care of, it's time to be irresponsible.

Looking at getting a fun summer only car as I have my Si as the daily flogger (which I absolutely love btw.)

I'm trying to decide between a late model 91-96 LT1 Corvette or a 97-2000 Corvette (6 speeds only.) I want a targa or vert for sure.

Part of me says go LS for reliability, fuel economy, handling etc etc. Plus I have 3 years experience with an LS1 engine. However, C5's start @ 15,000 for a higher mileage example here.

As a kid, my first dream car was the C4. It's such a sexy looking car even to this day. Black or white with a red leather interior. 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and decent mileage. And I can pick one up for 10,000 or so here.

Which one and why? I don't want another mustang, cobra etc. I don't care for the seating position at all. I want something Murican, loud, rwd & v8 with an open air feel.

bjstare
05-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Is there an option C? Save your pennies for a C6? haha

I've looked at Corvettes on and off for about a year, and every time I look at them, I wind up with the solution that I won't even consider it until a C6 is in the price range. The C6 interior is questionable, the C5 interior is :barf: :barf: :barf:
Edit: Or as mentioned, I'd compromise on the interior for a C5 Z06. But for that price, might as well just get a C6.

If that's not an option, then definitely C4. Find a loaded one with a manual transmission, cut your hair in a mullet, and enjoy! haha

Shlade
05-17-2016, 10:54 AM
I've seen quite a few c4's going for like 8-11k on kijiji...

I dunno man I'd get a c5z06 personally.

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 10:56 AM
The maximum I want to spend is $15,000. I'd prefer to be closer to 10. I don't care for the C6 styling besides the Z06. And that's well above my price point unfortunately. Same goes for the C5 Z06. I just want something fun and loud for the weekend. Planning on exhaust, short shifter, intake, tune and maybe a small cam. Nothing crazy.

Kloubek
05-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I owned the C5, and driven the C4. Highly recommend. I've owned a lot of sports cars, while they all had their merits, the Corvette has an obviously American, "brute force" feel to it unlike all the others I had. It also has really good interior space if you happen to be a bigger guy.

There is no doubt that the C5 is the better car. Better performance and easy-to-remove targa roof compared to the C4,which uses actual screws. Unless you're going convertible, I guess.... then it may not matter. I don't know what the release for the convertible is like. Far better build quality in the C5 as well. All around, a better car in all respects. Though the C5 is distinctive, there is something about the C4 that has a real classic American muscle look to it.

Neither have particularly nice interiors, though at least the C5 doesn't look like it was made with spare parts.

But strangely, in it's (relative) refinement and extra power, I didn't feel the C5 was any more fun of a car. They both satisfy the need for that rumble and torque, and though the C5 is faster you don't really get the extra feel from it because it is quieter and better built. Expect squeaks from both - but the C4 in particular. They were brutal for that.

Personally, I'd spend the extra few grand and get a slightly higher mileage C5 over a C4. You can get a C5 for low teens these days. But either way, you're going to have a lot of fun.

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 11:44 AM
^wow thanks! That's a great summary. I'm not in a rush. I'll likely wait till October when people get more reasonable with prices. I borrowed a 00 C5 vert for two weeks last summer and loved it. Huge trunk. The interior sucks, but it's a corvette. I have my nice interior jap car already :)

corsvette
05-17-2016, 11:59 AM
I've had two C4's one C5, and a C6 (though I only owned it for a short time)

The C4 will always be my favorite, simply due to the fact that I dreamed of them back in grade school. I always wanted a black 88 vert. The pre 1990 interiors were garbage, I'd avoid them. the LT1 from 92+ is the engine of choice, though the ignition system is fussy (optispark) and mods for LT1's are pricy. These cars rattle like no tomorrow, but you'll have a blast driving it!

The C5 to me lacked style, I got 10x as many comments on my C4's than I ever did on the C5. The interiors are a huge improvement and the LS engines are amazing . From a pure performance/drivability point of view you can't beat a C5. They're also very reliable and easy to fix.

Personally, I'd go with the one you find the sexiest. The hard edge performance of the C4's (like the teeth shattering ride) gives them so much character imo. While the 5's are much easier to live with day to day.

Good luck in your search, and when you do land a Vette join the local club (hang out with the old guys with goatees and gold chains lol) they're and excellent bunch and have tons of events throughout the year. There's plenty of young guys in the club too.

Meanwhile, I'll be over here saving my nickles and dimes for a C7. :D

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 12:12 PM
^ wow x2!!! Gracias! If the corvette club has members who aren't Sunday driver, oh no it's raining types id be interested. The C4 aesthetics appeal to me much more as it was the dream car of my childhood. It just looks mean. I would certainly only consider an LT1 model. I'm used to rattles coming from a 4th gen modded f body. As long as mechanically they're good cars, I'm still very interested.

riander5
05-17-2016, 12:26 PM
c4 might have got comments at one point, but IMO look dated. C5's still look sleek and fast. Its too bad you cant spring for a c5z06 because those things haul ass

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 01:49 PM
C5 Z06's are still in the crack money territory. Mind you, they are amazing cars for what you get used. I just don't want to put aside that kinda cash for a fun weekend hoon mobile.

carson blocks
05-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Kloubek and corsvette pretty much nailed it. I've had C3, C4, and C5z and they're pretty much dead on. I loved my C4 (pretty sure it was corsvette's old 92 LT1) and my C5 is a much better car in any quantifiable way (except the C4 clamshell hood was awesome).

For your price range, you should be able to find a higher mileage C5 or C5 vert. Look for a car from a 'waxer', the old guys who obsess about their corvettes, think they're the greatest cars on the planet, and meticulously care for them. You'll spend a little more, but usually get a great car with all service records etc. Don't be afraid of high mileage, the mechanicals on these cars are rock solid. Also, budget up to $400 depending on the year for the full set of factory service manuals (not Haynes or Chilton, right from GM). The occasional odd gremlin becomes a breeze to properly troubleshoot with these books, and you can't count on your local shop to have a clue about Corvettes. Lots of little things on Corvettes can be 'different' than what you're used to and sometimes working on one without the FSM can be an exercise in frustration.

On a side note, thinking of selling my modded C5z. 512rwhp (should be 600+ crank hp) and all the supporting mods (built professionally) for $30k-ish. Previous owner spent more than that on the new LS3 and drivetrain parts, and I haven't really driven it so I'll let someone else enjoy it. More than you wanted to spend, but I think there's value there for someone who wants a beast and doesn't want to spend the money building one.

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 02:13 PM
^ Great. Thanks for adding your thoughts! I don't want a car from a 25 year old dolt who spray painted the whole car black and took the muffler's off. I'd love a vette from an old timer who cared for it. I agree, it's worth it to spend an extra couple grand up front to have a hassle free ride. I'm very familiar with the LS family of engines and the power trains are just dead nuts reliable, generally speaking.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-17-2016, 02:51 PM
I personally wouldn't bother with a C4 unless its a childhood dream, I find them really dated, they drive poorly compared to the C5 along with having a far inferior engine.

I worked on a lot of C5's and I really love how the weight is balanced with the power, trans is where it should be, and lowering them is super cheap!

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/c-152-corvette-suspension-accessories.aspx

My only problem with the C5's is the interior, I'd want new seats and a double din deck the first day I owned it.

Have you driven either? The rear transaxle makes a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 03:23 PM
^I borrowed a 2000 convertible Corvette for 2 weeks. Bone stock, 6 speed. Loved it. fisher price interior but I couldn't take the smile off my face. That is, until I burned up $50.00 in gas within 3 days :rofl: :burnout: It had a lot that I loved about my 98 Camaro and it addressed my issues with the solid rear axle.

Kloubek
05-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Yeah, the Corvette is heavy on the gas if you drive it like that. Surprisingly though, under light driving conditions or highway that V8 gets really good fuel economy. Keep it in 6th and just cruise. Would make it down to Kamloops on a single tank.

On a side note, one thing I thought was cool is that my wife was actually able to learn stick on it. We tried in a Civic... no way at all. She couldn't nail the transition between gas and clutch without either stalling or burning the clutch up. With the Vette, no need to compensate with the gas... just let out the clutch and the torque gets you going.

I'm not going to lie. I do miss it. It was only a little quicker than my Infiniti but just something about the look and feel that made me excited to get it in every day.

carson blocks
05-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
^I borrowed a 2000 convertible Corvette for 2 weeks. Bone stock, 6 speed. Loved it. fisher price interior but I couldn't take the smile off my face. That is, until I burned up $50.00 in gas within 3 days :rofl: :burnout: It had a lot that I loved about my 98 Camaro and it addressed my issues with the solid rear axle.

If you think the C5 is Fisher-Price (not defending it haha), wait until you spend time with a C4! With the C4, it's almost like they were trying specifically to ensure nothing fit together. Panel gaps that would be embarrassing on the outside of a Yugo or Lada are the norm on the interior of a C4. The C5 isn't good, but next to a C4, it looks like a Benz. The C6 fits together much better, but looks like the parts-bin special it is. It's by far the blandest and least interesting interior of any generation Corvette. It would be an alright interior for a Pontiac Grand Prix, but the Cobalt steering wheel would look out of place even there.

And mileage depends on how you drive it. My C5z with the built LS3 and deep rear gears still gets over 30mpg highway, but down under 8mpg city if you're on the loud pedal too much.

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 05:07 PM
I know how good LS mileage can be with the 6 gears, light throttle and 3.42 gears. Even my cat less header 98 z28 could get 33 mpg highway. Pretty boring to drive it that way, but it's nice to have the option!

94boosted
05-17-2016, 05:29 PM
If the corvette club has members who aren't Sunday driver, oh no it's raining types id be interested.

There's quite a few that are just the opposite and do lots of autocross and track days. The other benefit is a lot of the guys are a walking book of knowledge about the cars.

01RedDX
05-17-2016, 06:06 PM

Hallowed_point
05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Awesome. I had an unsavoury experience at a corvette show here a few years ago.
Too many egos, too little knowledge. But there were a few really cool knowledgeable guys. I guess
they are like any other enthusiast. The corvette was/is my dream car.

corsvette
05-17-2016, 06:19 PM
The club is like every other, there's the know it all's that remind me of the Simpsons comic book sales guy, the tech nerds, the average Joes' and the rich dudes with ZR1's and 63 split window six figure cars.

I found the club very inviting and super easy to get along with. They used to have meetings even through the winter at Shaganappi Chev. Cool bunch of guys, lots of old dudes but fun old dudes lol. I gained alot of knowledge and cheap parts through the club too.

carson blocks
05-17-2016, 07:24 PM
I've always tossed around the idea of getting a cheap early C4 (I've seen them as low as $4k stateside for a clean looking '84 crossfire POS) and replacing the wheezer 350 with a low budget LS swap. The C4 platform is a nice one IMO, easy to work on and like you, I love the styling. With even a basic 5.3, you're up over 300hp, 30+mpg and likely for under $10k all-in if you pick the right car and are thrifty about sourcing the accessory drive, intake, headers, and other swap parts.

Hallowed_point
05-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Hmm I think I'm going to stick with a C5. As appealing as a C4 still is, I think I get more for my money for an extra couple grand. I certainly don't want a project car. Although, an LS powered C4 would be :D :D :D :devil:

HiTempguy1
05-18-2016, 09:30 AM
So, because you are on such a tight budget, may I suggest...

A 4th gen LS1 camaro?

I'm not going to say they are anywhere near the same thing, but in my opinion, they are close enough. And if you aren't tracking it regularly, there is nothing wrong with a Camaro, they still turn heads. Even if you ARE tracking it regularly, Camaro's make decent cars on track.

I'd say this is mine, but I'd be lying. It will be mine... when I finally purchase it from my father next year when he gets into a Corvette. I went for a cruise in it on the weekend to do some running around, enjoyed every minute of it!
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13247717_10154536445330715_6523854154593034145_o.jpg

And lets be honest, it really just gives you a good reason to drop the top, crank some Helix, and let the wind blow through your mullet. :bigpimp:

Just a thought.

Hallowed_point
05-18-2016, 09:40 AM
^ Haha, yes I had this 98 M6 Z/28 t tops. Owned it for just shy of three years. It was a great car. I paid $9900 for it and sold it for 7500 with 155 ish kms. I got tired of the solid rear axle and interior falling apart/ride quality. The engine and trans were awesome. Same with the t tops.

After having a fully independent suspension car, I can't go back to solid axle. Just nope. Although, sometimes I consider a black SS such as your fathers. But an SS is C5 money for a nice one.

And I did run C5 wagon wheels on it lol

Kloubek
05-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Severe nostalgia is about the only reason to get a C4. You will have a tough time finding one that isn't beat to shit.

The interior was never their strong point but as was mentioned already, it's just about the worst and it's gutless and handles like crap.

Agree with the first paragraph.

But for the second, I disagree C4s are gutless and handle like crap. They might not quite be up to today's sports car standards, but a skidpad of .90g and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is nothing to sneeze at.

Hallowed_point
05-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Agree with the first paragraph.

But for the second, I disagree C4s are gutless and handle like crap. They might not quite be up to today's sports car standards, but a skidpad of .90g and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is nothing to sneeze at. I've read as low as 5.1 0-60 for an LT1 model. An LT4 c4 is below 5 seconds I believe. They were amazing for their time. Remember when a 7 second 0-60 was sporty?

btimbit
05-18-2016, 10:34 AM
C4's are sweet but they just look dated now. I think you'd have a similar experience as your Mustsng, love it at first then grow tired of it rather quick.

Kloubek
05-18-2016, 11:05 AM
I've read as low as 5.1 0-60 for an LT1 model. An LT4 c4 is below 5 seconds I believe. They were amazing for their time. Remember when a 7 second 0-60 was sporty?

Yeah, I've read numbers as low as those as well. I don't think the LT1 changed a heck of a lot since 92, and I know those were about 5.4 seconds. LT4 made a real difference, and maybe below 5 seconds is indeed possible. Either way, these are not slow cars.

Lol re: 7 seconds. I remember my 83 Supra. I thought I had bought myself a "real" sports car. 0-60 in a neck-snapping 8.8 seconds.

Ca_Silvia13
05-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
I've seen quite a few c4's going for like 8-11k on kijiji...

I wanted a c4 a few months ago until I looked them up. Unreal how much people want for such a slow car. I ended up going for a 1973 GM a-body for a much lower price and still checks the V8 box for me.

Hallowed_point
05-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
C4's are sweet but they just look dated now. I think you'd have a similar experience as your Mustsng, love it at first then grow tired of it rather quick. Yeah, you're most likely right. That mustang was a mustake. It turned into a money pit within 1 year of ownership. Never again haha :whipped:

Rat Fink
05-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Hallowed_point
05-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Having owned a car with the LT1 engine....My overall thought was it was kind of a pain in the ass engine to have. Expensive to modify, and the way the optispark is jammed behind a waterpump with a not so great of design was stupid. Great power, but not as great as an LS1.

I love Corvettes and hope to own one someday, and while I like the C4 I just couldn't own a later one for the LT1. It would have to be something older and automatic so you could build up a regular carb'd 350 and have an auto instead of the 4+3 trans. With the hassle of all that considered I'd rather jump into a C5 and be done.

That's a great explanation. I certainly don't want a hassle/project car. I can live with the C5's flaws (interior quality) the C4 appears to be too much compromise especially as the LT1 models are almost the same price.