PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Camaro SS already in shop in less than 1 week

SilverKast
05-19-2016, 02:00 PM
So I just got a brand new 2016 Camaro SS convertible thinking it would be a fun car for summertime, after all it did receive a lot of really good reviews. Add to that it's a great looking car, and it's a ton of fun to drive. Yet here I am less than 1 week into ownership and it's already sitting in the dealership's service bay...

Historically I've always been a Honda/Toyota guy, I purchase all our fleet vehicles at work and it's always one of those two. I have old Landcruisers that just never die, and I love working on those as well. Thought I'd get a fun car, and the wife really wanted the Camaro - so even though I was hesitant about a domestic I went ahead with it.

The few days I did have the car I really enjoyed it. However, I noticed what appeared to be a minor issue after only two days where a small panel on the top wasn't closing at all. It initially appeared to only be off the hinge, but then when I inspected the closed top you could see that one side sat closed nice and flush, while the other side sat up about a half an inch. Then I started to get a warning on the dash that the top wasn't secured and electronic warnings.

I immediately went in to the dealership and requested they correct the problem. They were quite amenable and seem to want to correct it quickly. They've since come back and told me it's a broken latch, which they don't have in stock and have to order. They said to leave the top up, but they won't recommend that I take the car - and conversely don't recommend that I have to leave it.

I simply told them to leave it there until it was fixed correctly. I don't want to drive around in a car with warnings going off, or potentially have more issues.

I'm sure it will get fixed, but this has definitely killed any new car excitement you have as well as reinforced my doubts about domestic cars. I'm simply hoping it isn't a sign of things to come, and waiting to see what (if anything) the dealership will do to make me a satisfied customer because at this point I'm sure not - not even 1 week and I have to take it in...

shakalaka
05-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear it....

Hopefully it gets better down the line.

KPHMPH
05-19-2016, 02:08 PM
I want to sympathies but this top is a brand new design and with something brand new it is bound to have problems.

At the end of the day at least they will fix it as fast as they possibly can.

Neil4Speed
05-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Definitely frustrating, but nothing that should take away from your experience.

I remember going through my old Lexus' service records and seeing a few small issues in the first month and then once they were resolved that was the last of it.

mzdspd
05-19-2016, 02:10 PM
That seems pretty minor. Some issues slide past QC and that is why you have a warranty. Just about every new car I have had has had some sort of issue in the first year.

I wouldn't write the car off as being problematic...

sputnik
05-19-2016, 02:10 PM
So a small faulty non-drivetrain part that is easy to fix/replace is worthy of a thread?

riander5
05-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Definitely a kill joy, but is a malfunctioning latch really that big of a deal? Do you not feel safe driving the car? Ill make you an offer on it.. but keep in mind 20% depreciation off the lot :)

Besides buying brand new generations of cars that have undergone significant changes will always have a few issues

Hallowed_point
05-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
So a small faulty non-drivetrain part that is easy to fix/replace is worthy of a thread?
:werd: You're going to love owning a GM product, I can tell OP. I feel for you, but generally from my experience, GM service SUCKS.

corsvette
05-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Jack Carter is the best for GM service imo.

Hallowed_point
05-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Jack Carter is the best for GM service imo. You must have had a good experience, because they really let me down. GSL was decent thanks to James :clap:

SilverKast
05-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Sure it is, I'm just expressing my opinion - same as you're expressing yours. That's why we have forums and what makes it interesting. Who would want to read about opinions and experiences that are all the same, that would be boring. There's been threads made for way less besides which.

I'm just disappointed as I was really enjoying the car, and am hopeful it gets corrected fairly soon so I can get back to enjoying it. It is Jack Carter as someone noted, and from what I've seen so far they seem pretty good as far as my experience compared with other dealerships.

Rat Fink
05-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Xtrema
05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Even the Germans are not immune to 1st year problems. It's typical of car industry.

The only reason Honda and Toyota are so good for so long is they they had been building the same car for 2 decades. They only start risky it the last few years and trying new things.

Toms-SC
05-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Even the Germans are not immune to 1st year problems. It's typical of car industry.

The only reason Honda and Toyota are so good for so long is they they had been building the same car for 2 decades. They only start risky it the last few years and trying new things.

:thumbsup:

Redlined_8000
05-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

LOL true....

zieg
05-19-2016, 05:19 PM
GM didn't have a perfect track record with the tops on the 5th gen either. Dunno what dealers you guys are using but CMP has been nothing short of excellent to me.

Sugarphreak
05-19-2016, 09:22 PM

KPHMPH
05-21-2016, 06:19 PM
I work at CMP and will never buy another GM product do to th service.

High class for me only now, lol.

G
05-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Yeah high class is the only way to due it.

Rat Fink
05-22-2016, 09:52 AM

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Welcome to GM products and the dealers that service them. Higher than average problems with the worst service around is not a great combo, but congrats on the new car. PM Zhariak (sp) for more info :rofl:

2 of my friends actually now own an SRX and an Escalade and they have been nothing but problems as well recently.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Shit happens, working in the dealer I've seen similar stuff happen and worse. I don't regret leaving the dealer and won't be going back.

corsvette
05-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Several new GM's in my family/friends, in laws have a new Escalade, no issues. Pick your dealer wisley. First year products from any manufacturer are risky, especially with all the new technology baked in. I hear more horror stories on the service end than the vehicles themselves, seems to be very dealer specific in Calgary.

Every maker has issues. Friend of mine had a 13 X5 V8 that had over 30 trips to the dealer in the first year he owned it. Wanna play totally safe? Buy a Lexus, but you won't find anything close to a ragtop Camaro in terms of price/performance.

heavyD
05-24-2016, 03:45 PM
First of all a picture is worth a thousand words so it would have been nice to see the picture of this panel's fitment so we can at least gauge the imperfection.

Second of all this isn't really thread worthy as your car isn't the first car to have some sort of panel gap off an assembly line and won't be the last as cars get delivered every day with these types of imperfections.

If your engine starts leaking something a month down the road and it's followed by another issue like a CEL then you could make a thread detailing shoddy quality but one issue like this is no big deal at all.

darthVWader
05-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Pic of wife with her top down?

G
05-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Speaking of leaking...my parents use to drive domestics (Oldmobile, Caddy, Buicks) back in the early 80s and every single one of them leaked engine oil.

Is this still a problem in newer domestics?

heavyD
05-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by G
Speaking of leaking...my parents use to drive domestics (Oldmobile, Caddy, Buicks) back in the early 80s and every single one of them leaked engine oil.

Is this still a problem in newer domestics?

I remember in the early 80's new Hondas would rust through in a matter of years. Is this still a problem in newer Japanese cars?

corsvette
05-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I remember in the early 80's new Hondas would rust through in a matter of years. Is this still a problem in newer Japanese cars?

Worked at a Honda dealership when I was 16 (mid 90's) If any 86-89 Accords came in they had to go on drive up hoists (alignment hoist) So many were too rusty structurally to lift them from the jacking points. They pretty much destroyed a customers car when the hoist arm went through the unibody structure. The car was a 88 model and lived in Calgary all its life. They definitely improved since then!

As far as oil leaks, no problems from any of my domestics. My sister in law has a 2013 Kia Sorento, it's been to the dealer to fix 4 different oil leaks, timing cover, oil pressure sensor, and pan gasket twice, what a absolute POS that vehicle is. Hyundai/Kia are the new oil leakers imo.

G
05-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

It's a legitimate question. There are oil spots all over my block from domestics who park there everyday. Not dissing domestic because I'm seriously considering a Camaro SS but the fact that it's a first year car, service horror stories, oil leaks etc have me second guessing myself.

heavyD
05-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by G

It's a legitimate question. There are oil spots all over my block from domestics who park there everyday. Not dissing domestic because I'm seriously considering a Camaro SS but the fact that it's a first year car, service horror stories, oil leaks etc have me second guessing myself.

Wait until year two for any car in general. Oil leaks can happen to any car and the people in your block are obviously not taking their cars in to get seals replaced.