PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to obtain legitimate MS Office license?

FixedGear
05-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Re-imaged my home laptop only to realize the MS Office at home activation key from my previous institution no longer works. My current employer has the same program to get at home license for $10, yet somehow even though I have fully functional MS Office on both my work desktop and work laptop, I still need to buy a separate personal license ($421 USD) to get the $10 at home license. :banghead:

anyone know the cheapest way to get a working license for MS Office? O already have MS Office Professional Plus 2013 installed, would be easiest to just get a license for that. Might be open to alternative free options that would work with my existing installation, too.

speedog
05-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Not sure if you would consider it but I moved to FreeOffice a few years ago and have been quite happy with it. We do have MS Office on anther computer in our home but it doesn't seem to offer enough extra to put MS Office on the computer I use even though I could put it on for free.

The_Penguin
05-19-2016, 06:05 PM
For cheap, have a look on Reddit. /r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

01RedDX
05-19-2016, 06:12 PM

FixedGear
05-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Not sure if you would consider it but I moved to FreeOffice a few years ago and have been quite happy with it. We do have MS Office on anther computer in our home but it doesn't seem to offer enough extra to put MS Office on the computer I use even though I could put it on for free.

Not an option, I collaborate with dozens and dozens of coauthors so the MS track changes feature in Word is essential. Otherwise, I'd be using LaTeX. And yea, otherwise a huge proponent of free/open.

FixedGear
05-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Sounds like your current windows admins only have a limited license. I can log in on any device and download/install. Maybe check again with the IT dept?

I'm, not sure what license they have, I have Office on my machines, just don't have the license in my ESD license manager.

FixedGear
05-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
For cheap, have a look on Reddit. /r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Looks perfect, thanks man :thumbsup:

carson blocks
05-19-2016, 08:51 PM
Keep in mind the keys on /r/microsoftsoftware swap aren't exactly legal if that bothers you. They're mostly from MSDN subscriptions, and the seller is breaking their agreement by selling MSDN keys. From what I hear, most of the keys will activate, but occasionally MS will deactivate the 'pirated' keys for certain products.

m not taking a stand on piracy or anything, but just wanted to point out you're paying for working warez essentially, not a legit copy.

eblend
05-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Have you looked at office 365 at all? Maybe something to look into. The home version gives you an install on 5PCs, or can go pro for 1 pc install I think. It isn't the cheapest in the long run, but up front you just pay less then $8 a month.

The_Penguin
05-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Have you looked at office 365 at all? Maybe something to look into. The home version gives you an install on 5PCs, or can go pro for 1 pc install I think. It isn't the cheapest in the long run, but up front you just pay less then $8 a month.

I forgot to mention that. As much as I dislike subscription-based software, that's a pretty good deal. Especially for multiple family members. Also gives you a big chunk 'o storage with OneDrive (1 TB per user when I signed up)

yellowsnow
06-03-2016, 11:10 AM
oops nevermind... didn't read your post lol

msommers
06-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Man that is frustrating. I just checked UofA's software packaging and Office 365 is free to students lol.

Adobe screwed us over at the beginning of the month. $14/yr to $26/month!

revelations
06-03-2016, 12:14 PM
I've used 3rd party resellers like softwareking before .... no issues to date.

Check KIJIJI and ebay, sometimes these will turn up there too.