PDA

View Full Version : Tragically hip lead singer, Gord Downie, has terminal brain cancer.

finboy
05-24-2016, 05:42 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

One last tour, fuck 2016.

If you haven't seen the hip before, I'd recommend it, Gord Downie has stage presence like no one else I've seen live.

C_Dave45
05-24-2016, 06:06 AM
Just came to post this. Terribly sad news. One of those artists that I've always wanted to see live, and never have, thinking "I'll see him on the next tour". I did that with another favorite Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Its gonna be hard getting tickets I imagine.

Fuck Cancer.

JRSC00LUDE
05-24-2016, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by finboy
If you haven't seen the hip before, I'd recommend it, Gord Downie has stage presence like no one else I've seen live.

Sad news for anyone, no doubt.

That being said, my experience is the exact opposite. I saw them twice over the years and each show still ranks as one of the worst live performances I've ever seen. Wouldn't go again for free. :dunno:

I think it's awesome that he plans to go out touring though, gotta love someone living how they want right to the end. :thumbsup:

spikerS
05-24-2016, 07:13 AM
That sucks so bad. The Hip is one of my favorite bands that influenced my choice in music growing up.

I have never seen them live though.

C_Dave45
05-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Wow...their website seems to be crashed. Or very slow. I imagine it's getting hit from Canadians everywhere.

rx7_turbo2
05-24-2016, 08:56 AM
The Hip were part of my childhood. I camped out in the parking lot of Northland mall for tickets. I camped out for tickets in front of The Jack Singer. I camped out in front of Frank Sisson's Silver Dollar Action Center for tickets.

When they announced concerts or tours it was never a question of are we going to get tickets but how. How will we scrounge up the cash, how will we actually get our hands on them, how will we get there. The Road Sign Attraction Tours hold many many fond memories. At 15-16 the memories of the concerts are only a small portion of it, first time experiences with booze, drugs, girls interlace the concert memories.

This is sad news. I hadn't been to a Hip concert in a few years, I'll find a way to go to the next one, if for no other reason than to say Thank You.

C_Dave45
05-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Live press release on Global right now with Downie's doctor....

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalNews/

Gman.45
05-24-2016, 09:37 AM
This really sucks. I had a friend from Ft Mac, Todd Kelly, who was a body builder/fitness competitor, fantastic shape all his life, who was cut down by brain cancer a year ago. It happened SO fast.

My x-wife owned a restaurant that CJ92 peepz used to hang at, and they gave her backstage passes to the Hip back in 2001 ish or so. It was this whole contest/radio deal, and they had her running around doing stuff all day for it. I was listening to the band that opened up for the hip do their sound test, I can't remember their name, nobody's really (there was 2 opening bands IIRC, and they were the 1st ones). They weren't bad actually. I look beside me, and there is Gord Downie, hands in his pockets, bobbing back and forth to their music, just rocking out standing there.

When the music stopped, I struck up a convo with Downie, telling him growing up 50 mission cap always was a big deal for me, as my grandfather flew bombers (Lancasters) in WW2, and he and my father were huge Leafs fans, so the song sort of had double meaning/importance for me. Really nice guy, talked to me for at least half an hour about various whatevers of the day.

Great band, truly something Canadian, and it truly sucks that it won't be the same this time next year.

FixedGear
05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
How tragic

Jlude
05-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Like most, I grew up with their music. Almost the soundtrack of my teens. I'll be going to one or two of their shows this year, as soon as they release the schedule.

sputnik
05-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
How tragic

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/55509822.jpg

Sentry
05-24-2016, 08:53 PM
Never been to a concert, but what first comes to mind is when I was watching Bravo in the wee hours of the night years ago and caught this short:

vPKeczB3wrg

Hallowed_point
05-25-2016, 08:03 AM
To be honest, his voice annoys me. However, the hip are probably the quintessential 90's Canadian band. Sad news indeed

finboy
05-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Tickets on sale June 3, wonder if there is a presale

nzwasp
05-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Hope so, because I can see it becoming sold out in mins.

firebane
05-25-2016, 09:18 AM

LOL the Hips site crashed after the concert announcement.

Good thing I am off on the 3rd so I will be sitting at the computer hitting refresh like a mad man.

C_Dave45
05-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Nope. No presale at all. You have to wait until June 3rd.

:)

Originally posted by firebane

... I will be sitting at the computer hitting refresh like a mad man.

Same here. God, this will be a gong show!!

finboy
05-25-2016, 09:36 AM
ive heard presale is may 30, still waiting for their mailing list to get details

nzwasp
05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
if you get details share it with all of us :)

Minimalist
05-25-2016, 01:16 PM
As long as the pre-sale involves those on the email list, I'm good since 2002. Some bands give greater weight to those who have been on the email list the longest and all have a date cut off to avoid those "fans" who sign up just before tickets are listed.

Just need to decide between Victoria or Calgary.

I saw The Hip last time in Banff (38 songs) in 2012 I believe, a few hundred of us and thanks to the great sound system in the hall I've got tinnitus. The upcoming tour will be the fourth and sadly the last tour for all.

Having had a close family member go through the exact same type of brain cancer as Gord has in 2014, it is personal.

And yeah... FUCK CANCER!

C_Dave45
05-25-2016, 02:39 PM
ive heard presale is may 30, still waiting for their mailing list to get details
Nope. Shh..no it's June. Nothing earlier. Don't even bother looking.

C_Dave45
05-27-2016, 10:46 AM
So serious question....has anyone received an email regarding the early release tickets for the Calgary Show? Hip's website said they would email members before the 30th. I still haven't seen anything yet.

darthVWader
05-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
So serious question....has anyone received an email regarding the early release tickets for the Calgary Show? Hip's website said they would email members before the 30th. I still haven't seen anything yet.

Nothing yet

nzwasp
05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
I imagine they are going to wait until the last minute to avoid the frenzy in presale. Although with twitter and reddit etc I dont see how they can avoid it. I predict sunday night.

Minimalist
05-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Nothing from TTH regarding my presale... yet.

Suppose you get pre-sale, are you buying the maximum number of tickets?

Where are you most likely to be sitting if given a choice?

finboy
05-29-2016, 08:13 AM
http://presale.codes/presale/25529454-the-tragically-hip-man-machine-poem-tour-in-calgary-ab-aug-1-2016

This site claims to be Amex code but no idea how accurate.

darthVWader
05-29-2016, 05:12 PM
http://presale.codes/presale/25529454-the-tragically-hip-man-machine-poem-tour-in-calgary-ab-aug-1-2016

This site claims to be Amex code but no idea how accurate.

Fan Club pre sale May 30

Amex pre sale May 31

Also you have to pay by CC and show your CC at the door. Hopefully this method slows down the scalpers.

finboy
05-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Still need the 30th code

Kritafo
05-29-2016, 06:44 PM
waiting and waiting for the code.

finboy
05-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Machine

C_Dave45
05-29-2016, 07:16 PM
xxxxx SHHHHH!!!!

Holy shit...I just got that email. Oh God it's gonna be a nightmare tomorrow.

redblack
05-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Machine

Thanks

nzwasp
05-29-2016, 07:34 PM
SHHHHH!!!!

Holy shit...I just got that email. Oh God it's gonna be a nightmare tomorrow.

Ditto. However with their ticketless entry I cant see how scalpers can resell these tickets.

Minimalist
05-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Six on the floor if I can get 'em.

nzwasp
05-30-2016, 10:05 AM
this is bullshit

roopi
05-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Nothing here

C_Dave45
05-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Fucking joke. Was in there 5 seconds after it opened...nothing but $700 Platinum seats.

rx7_turbo2
05-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Nothing here either. I'm confident there is nothing I could have done to be in there any faster so.....

nzwasp
05-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Just got two tickets to the edmonton show. My wife also had two tickets on hold to the edmonton show that she just cancelled. I was getting nothing in calgary. Tried edmonton and it was good.

Kloubek
05-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Part of a Facebook group - a bunch of my friends wanted to go. Apparently, tickets are in the THOUSANDS??

C_Dave45
05-30-2016, 10:22 AM
WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

David, you're going to The Tragically Hip: Man Machine Poem Tour!

roopi
05-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Keep trying. Just got a pair.

rx7_turbo2
05-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Lots of tickets up on Stubhub already, for insane prices :rofl:
I love The Hip but $600USD for the wife and I in the nose bleeds might be a little much lol

finboy
05-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Keep trying, got bounced as I forget to update my expiry date on my cc.

Nothing when I started, then second bowl, then bounced, then got a single, then got 2 side by side, then got 2 side by side again.

That platinum ticket is BS, fuck ticket master

nzwasp
05-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah im in edmonton show 218 row 31 side by side. We also ended up almost buying section 118 row 28 side by side but cancelled that as it was $170 each plus all the fees.

Im not sure where the lower cost tickets were because edmonton didnt have nose bleeds tickets avaliable.

C_Dave45
05-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Row 31 in the second tier is pretty nose-bleedy is it? Can't remember the layout of Edmonton.
We got two in Sec 222, Row 7. $200 for the pair. At the dome.

roopi
05-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Second show added. 08/03/16

darthVWader
05-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Two in 222 row 10 Calgary and Four for the Edm show Section 218 row 34. :)

nzwasp
05-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Row 31 in the second tier is pretty nose-bleedy is it? Can't remember the layout of Edmonton.
We got two in Sec 222, Row 7. $200 for the pair. At the dome.

Theres the 300s above which are where the nose bleeds are.

Kloubek
05-30-2016, 11:07 AM
Buddy just got a pair for under 2 bills each as well. Expensive, but a once-in-a-lifetime show at this point.

finboy
05-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Might try the second show tomorrow to see if I can get better seats, same code

Jlude
05-30-2016, 12:05 PM
I got a couple to the Winnipeg show, but didn't like the seats so in my greedy state, I tried for another pair and got fucked. Off to stubhub I go, I'll be the guy paying 1k USD each for floor seats.

sputnik
05-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I got a couple to the Winnipeg show, but didn't like the seats so in my greedy state, I tried for another pair and got fucked. Off to stubhub I go, I'll be the guy paying 1k USD each for floor seats.

Just wait until the general sale. Generally they only release a percentage of the seats for the pre-sale.

Jlude
05-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Just wait until the general sale. Generally they only release a percentage of the seats for the pre-sale.

I was planning to wait anyway, no hurry to get tickets off stubhub. The ticket prices will get better also as time goes on.

C_Dave45
07-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Apparently there are a bunch of seats available on Ticketmaster. Use the map feature, you can see a few dozen and lots in groups.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/the-tragically-hip-man-machine-poem-calgary-alberta-08-01-2016/event/110050B8B16F8E56?artistid=736328&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60&tm_link=browse_msg-0_110050B8B16F8E56

C_Dave45
08-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Who's going tonight?!!!!

Still some tickets available on Ticketmaster!!

nzwasp
08-01-2016, 09:23 PM
We had tickets to the Thursday night edmonton Show but then my daughter broke her leg that afternoon so we had to take her to the ER. Ended up missing the show - but now got last minute tickets (side stage though) to it through stubhub for wednesday night.

vengie
08-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Heading to the Wednesday show! Super pumped

klumsy_tumbler
08-02-2016, 12:44 PM
I went last night. They definitely put on a good show!

Jlude
08-02-2016, 05:24 PM
I was able to get 2nd row tickets for a fairly decent price. Show is Friday and I have my sister coming in from NB to attend. Going to be a good.

Jlude
08-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Anyone go to the Kingston show? I just got home. Great show all around.

finboy
08-22-2016, 05:31 AM
Cbc has a cool interactive map called "looking for a place to happen" that highlights all the Canadian locations mentioned in hip songs

rx7_turbo2
08-22-2016, 09:10 AM
I was shocked by how much he was relying on the telepromters. Gord was basically reading off them continuously. Songs that I can basically sing every word of he struggled with. I didn't know things were that bad, maybe that was naive on my part given the diagnosis. Amazing courage to embark on this tour and put on this final show. Glad I took the time to watch it.

msommers
08-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Canada’s heroes are consumed by their country: Atanarjuat, the fast runner of Inuit legend, who ran naked through the snow; Tom Thomson, the country’s greatest painter, drowned on Canoe Lake in Algonquin Park, in the middle of the landscapes he was trying to capture; the North-West Mounted Police, whose horses collapsed from exhaustion in the Great March West; John Franklin, who froze to death in the Northwest Passage. The great Canadian icon of my childhood was Terry Fox, who ran the length of a marathon a day, trying to cross Canada on a prosthetic leg while dying of osteosarcoma, in order to raise money for cancer research. Gord Downie has entered the iconography of the Northern survivor. He has proved his endurance by crossing an impossible country while dying.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/watching-canadas-biggest-rock-band-say-a-dramatic-goodbye

Kloubek
08-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Was out camping during the televised concert, so I never got a chance to see it. Was hoping they were going to televise it again (not as good recorded, but better than nothing) but no dice.

Good thing there is YouTube....

b_t
08-22-2016, 09:41 AM
I've got a good Torrent version of it too if anyone needs it, I'll dig up the link when I get home

Kloubek
08-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I might want it, actually. Looks like YouTube only has the Toronto show from the 12th....

Jlude
08-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
I was shocked by how much he was relying on the telepromters. Gord was basically reading off them continuously. Songs that I can basically sing every word of he struggled with. I didn't know things were that bad, maybe that was naive on my part given the diagnosis. Amazing courage to embark on this tour and put on this final show. Glad I took the time to watch it.

I was at the Winnipeg show and he forgot lyrics a few times, but just laughed it off. This show, he forgot a lot of them.

Originally posted by b_t
I've got a good Torrent version of it too if anyone needs it, I'll dig up the link when I get home

Definitely.

msommers
08-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Yes please :thumbsup:

finboy
08-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

He definitely wasn't the same gord I'd seen live previously, but I don't think anyone expected that. I looked at these concerts as a chance to say goodbye and thank you both ways, I'm glad they got a chance to do it.

rx7_turbo2
08-22-2016, 02:21 PM
He definitely wasn't the same gord I'd seen live previously, but I don't think anyone expected that. I looked at these concerts as a chance to say goodbye and thank you both ways, I'm glad they got a chance to do it.

My surprise at his reliance on the telepromters is a statement on how naive I was about his condition.

nzwasp
08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Makes you wonder how long he has to live...

rx7_turbo2
08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Makes you wonder how long he has to live...

The consensus among the few but qualified individuals I discussed it with said even if this type of cancer is caught early it's 12-18 months. Both believe given his issues with memory and motor skills ( which could be medicine related), and the large scar on the left side of his head indicating a previous procedure, he's into this fairly far. Both said they'd be surprised if he made it to see 2017. Again take all that with a huge grain of salt.

Minimalist
08-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Gord looked pretty fucking good for what he has been through and how fast it will be slipping away.

It is eighteen months tops and not a hope in the world of changing it. The final few months will not be what I'd call living on my scale. I witnessed all this first hand a couple of years ago this month. The cancer patient with the exact same brain cancer as Gord but more advanced had a choice between three weeks to live or an eight-hour operation and 6-18 months. The operation was selected and it was a terrible eight months of hospital life in and out of the ICU and other operations. You get a real life experience in the reality of cancer hospital care for the terminally ill. If the operation does not kill you, the post-op "care" will.

Personally, I'd like to think I'd not let it get to the point of a hospital bed were I ever in that position.

As a huge Hip fan, I'll hold onto memories of Banff and the other four concerts in Saskatoon and Regina as The Hip I know and their final tour as The Hip that made a final crossing not for them so much as for us.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist
Gord looked pretty fucking good for what he has been through and how fast it will be slipping away.

It is eighteen months tops and not a hope in the world of changing it. The final few months will not be what I'd call living on my scale. I witnessed all this first hand a couple of years ago this month. The cancer patient with the exact same brain cancer as Gord but more advanced had a choice between three weeks to live or an eight-hour operation and 6-18 months. The operation was selected and it was a terrible eight months of hospital life in and out of the ICU and other operations. You get a real life experience in the reality of cancer hospital care for the terminally ill. If the operation does not kill you, the post-op "care" will.

Personally, I'd like to think I'd not let it get to the point of a hospital bed were I ever in that position.

As a huge Hip fan, I'll hold onto memories of Banff and the other four concerts in Saskatoon and Regina as The Hip I know and their final tour as The Hip that made a final crossing not for them so much as for us.

My dad decided to go with the operation, what a mistake, over a week in ICU (which is a scary place) followed by another 3 in the hospital. It only made his quality of life worse and gave us false hope. Let nature take its course.

b_t
08-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Here it is, has 50 or so seeders right now (http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/V1F5VrJT/file.html)

msommers
08-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks dude!

roopi
08-23-2016, 09:55 AM
https://vimeo.com/179668064