PDA

View Full Version : leaky pipe in wall

Zorac
05-26-2016, 05:25 PM
i have a leaky pipe in the wall, the pipe in question has two couplers on it and it appears the one is leaking. i can get at the bottom in the furnace room, but its probably 3 feet up, out of read of my arm.

any tips? cutting open the wall isn't really an option, one side is a tub/shower the other side is kitchen cabinets/tile.

revelations
05-26-2016, 05:40 PM
sewer pipe?

pex? polyb? copper?

speedog
05-26-2016, 08:01 PM
I am interested to see how one would fix this without going through a wall.

Zorac
05-26-2016, 08:53 PM
copper, probably replace with pex though.

revelations
05-26-2016, 10:16 PM
If the pex can be ran from the elbow (bypass the existing copper) up to the receiving end (eg. under cabinet sink) you can jut create a new run by making a large hole in the wall by that area and pulling up the pex.

blindsight
05-26-2016, 11:01 PM

spike98
05-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by revelations
If the pex can be ran from the elbow (bypass the existing copper) up to the receiving end (eg. under cabinet sink) you can jut create a new run by making a large hole in the wall by that area and pulling up the pex.

This is the right answer. Abandon the leaking section and run a new pex run.

speedog
05-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by blindsight

Shark Bite? (http://www.sharkbite.com/)

You can get em at Home Depot.

But one still has to get at the pipe in question to cut it off cleanly, no?

Zorac
05-27-2016, 05:21 PM
after a little more investigation and measuring i think my best option is to cut a hole behind the kitchen sink that's roughly 8" and 8" though the back of the cub bard, which should be enough room to get my hand in the wall with a tool to cut the copper and then use a shark bite to connect the new pex to the old copper. anything else and im either removing the kitchen sink to cut a bigger hole or im removing the fiberglass surround on the tub/shower. doesn't get me to the tap to replace the whole run, but does get me to the old coupler that is leaking on the line.

i was hoping for some sort of cutting tool with a reach, but they don't seem to exist.

gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.