PDA

View Full Version : Massive power jump for BRZ

Gripenfelter
05-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Drugs are bad m'kay...

I hope you’re sitting down, because Fuji Heavy is going to blow your mind with some of the upgrades to the 2017 Subaru BRZ. There will be a Track Mode, a Performance Package, and five more horsepower! Hey Hellcat—you’re on notice.

The Subaru BRZ is already one of the most well-balanced cars at its price point. People that bought one have been pretty impressed with the handling, though more than a few people think it could use some extra passing power.

They’re about to get it—hard.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ldZepgju--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/gtdvajjhkh8evgdtyi20.jpg

Subaru listened and cranked up the 2.0-liter flat-four by an additional tire stomping five horsepower and an additional five lb-ft of torque.

Think you can handle that? Think you’re ready? You’re not ready. I can tell you that right now.

You might be wondering what kind of witchcraft Subaru had to manage to get such a massive jump in power. It turns out the motor gets new valves, camshaft and cylinder heads, a new aluminum intake manifold, and a redesigned exhaust manifold.

I don’t know about you, but all that extra juice might be a danger to those manifolds.

Alas, you only get the extra ponies of you buy a manual transmission. Automatic models are stuck with only 200 HP and 151 lb-ft.

Subaru also upgraded the chassis and suspension tuning by giving the 2017 BRZ updated coil springs and dampers, as well as a larger rear stabilizer bar. The strut tower braces were also modified in addition to the transmission cross-member plate and the rear wheel housings in order to increase the car’s rigidity.

All of these adjustments elevate what was the “Sport Mode” into the “Track Mode.” Those that opt for the Limited trim and manual transmission can also add a “performance package” that comes with Brembo brakes, SACHS Performance shock absorbers and unique 17 inch black aluminum wheels.

No word on pricing yet, but one thing’s for sure—the game has just changed forever. Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet and anyone else: just close up shop and go home. You’re done.

Redlined_8000
05-26-2016, 08:35 PM
I dont mind the new face lift, it looks good. 5hp isn't much but at least its the right direction I guess. I dont imagine Subaru keeping this car at 205hp for long anyway, Maybe offer a STI turbo model soon. Even the new Civic Si is suppose to get 220-230hp for 2017.

Xtrema
05-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Not sure why Toyota/Subaru are so hesitant to just drop the WRX engine in there.

BokCh0y
05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Fuck this car.

But i still want one :love: :love: :love:

jacky4566
05-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Not sure why Toyota/Subaru are so hesitant to just drop the WRX engine in there.

probably cost. I think they want to keep this cheap so it can be the next miata. Turbos aint cheap.

Darkane
05-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

From what I read the car was designed with an NA only power plant. The engineers always kept the stroking to 2.5L ace up their sleeve. From what I understand a large displacement boxer 4 can't keep emissions and MPG where they need to be. They were thinking 230-250 NA HP and 180-190 tq. If that came true I would have bought one.

It's still possible, cheaper, and lighter alternative than turbo setups. It'll never show up though.

Redlyne_mr2
05-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Why a boxer engine? Size? Weight? Why not a newer more modern version of the 4age or a k20 equivalent? What happened to the screamer na 4cyl engines? Lots of manufactures are throwing small displacement turbo engines in 20K cars, why not this in the FRS/BRZ?

djmr2
05-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Why a boxer engine? Size? Weight? Why not a newer more modern version of the 4age or a k20 equivalent? What happened to the screamer na 4cyl engines? Lots of manufactures are throwing small displacement turbo engines in 20K cars, why not this in the FRS/BRZ?

Center of gravity, this engine sits very low with the weight spread out instead of a top heavy engine. Other than that the engine feels torquier than a k20 for sure in the lower RPMs but its got no soul or character after that.

Hallowed_point
05-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Why a boxer engine? Size? Weight? Why not a newer more modern version of the 4age or a k20 equivalent? What happened to the screamer na 4cyl engines? Lots of manufactures are throwing small displacement turbo engines in 20K cars, why not this in the FRS/BRZ? Totally. As soon as I test drove my K20 powered car I was smiling ear to ear. Nothing like a rev happy N/A screamer. I've never cared for the BRZ/boxer exhaust note. It sounds lumpy and blah. A K20 type engine in that package would take it to the next level.

Projek01
06-02-2016, 01:47 PM
One of the other reasons why they stuck with the FA20 is that the car needed a clearance between the hood and engine for pedestrian crash safety. Oh I wish it was a modern blacktop 3SGE Beams in there.