PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Restorkoat - Frankenshine

richardmoca
05-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted on this site in a while and I thought I'd start a post with some insight on a product offered in Edmonton.

I purchased a vehicle about a month ago...this particular vehicle had a hand applied clear coat (which I did not know about until my mirror started pealing)

Turns out after talking to a few body shops in Red Deer, this same product destroyed multiple vehicles here and the guy lost a lot of business so he decided to move to Edmonton.

This "amazing product" is a polyurethane clear coat applied to hand to the whole vehicle by sponge. It is design to conceal all visible scratches and make the car look like new by bonding to the cars original clear coat...the issue with this product is because the Mickey Mouse clear coat was mixed in this guy's basement and will soften the original clear.

Dealerships in Edmonton are starting to use this to make the car look brand new (costs them around $300-400) but be warned that this product is very harmful to your vehicle. You can call any bodyshop in Red Deer and ask about it...

This "magic product" I am talking about is Rocket Restorkoat - sometimes called Frankenshine.

I will try to post photos of where the original clear is starting to react with this product...

The dealership refuses to do anything about this and the only way to remove it is to wet sand the whole vehicle but hope you don't burn through.

Everyone should boycott this product and not buy any vehicle that has had this applied.

Admins please feel free to sticky this thread as there wasn't anything that I could find recently about this product online.

- Hope no one else is in the same boat as me.

SKR
05-28-2016, 07:07 AM
I've had it done in Medicine Hat a couple months ago. I haven't had the issues that you're having. Hopefully I don't.

zipdoa
05-28-2016, 12:47 PM
In b4 the creator of this product signs up and starts posting and epic thread ensues

richardmoca
05-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
In b4 the creator of this product signs up and starts posting and epic thread ensues

Not sure what you wrote there...but this thread was started to make people aware of this Mickey Mouse product.

He has been sued several times which is why he moved to a different city...and was in a different city before that too.

bourge73
05-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by richardmoca

Not sure what you wrote there...but this thread was started to make people aware of this Mickey Mouse product.

He has been sued several times which is why he moved to a different city...and was in a different city before that too.

Monorail, Monorail, Monorail

nytrydr89
05-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Shine Revolution here in Calgary used the product and from experience I can tell you its shit. I had a Jerez Black E92 M3 he did for me and the finished product looked good until I noticed that the factory clear coat started peeling. Not only was the product shit so was his service and workmanship. Ruined my 3M, burnt the paint off the bottom of my door handles from running a polisher too close and too long on the handles. Looks like hes out of business now and still owes me a refund for the 3M replacement!

richardmoca
05-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by nytrydr89
Shine Revolution here in Calgary used the product and from experience I can tell you its shit. I had a Jerez Black E92 M3 he did for me and the finished product looked good until I noticed that the factory clear coat started peeling. Not only was the product shit so was his service and workmanship. Ruined my 3M, burnt the paint off the bottom of my door handles from running a polisher too close and too long on the handles. Looks like hes out of business now and still owes me a refund for the 3M replacement!

Sorry man...that sucks...I will have to repaint my whole vehicle...

SKR
05-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Take some pictures, upload them to whatever free site, and then post them here. I'm not having any problems with mine and it's a couple months old, so I'd like to see what to look for when it goes bad.

richardmoca
05-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Take some pictures, upload them to whatever free site, and then post them here. I'm not having any problems with mine and it's a couple months old, so I'd like to see what to look for when it goes bad.

I will wash my car tomorrow and take some photos...the clear coat that flaked off my mirrors were "fixed" so I will have to see tomorrow...been raining the past week so I haven't gotten around to washing it.

HiSpec
05-28-2016, 11:43 PM

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you. But I think Shine Revolution is still around. Unless you were referring to the manufacturer of the coating that's out of business?

Either way, sorry to hear about the paint.

richardmoca
05-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Here are some pictures of the mirrors and my front fender where the original clear started to react with this polyurethane clear coat.

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/richardmoca/slideshow/Beyond/Rocket%20RestorKoat

SKR
05-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah that's pretty ugly.

nytrydr89
05-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Here are some pictures of the mirrors and my front fender where the original clear started to react with this polyurethane clear coat.

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/richardmoca/slideshow/Beyond/Rocket%20RestorKoat

Similar to the results I had on my M3 except mine started to have issues all over the A pillar area.

In regards to Shine Revolution I googled and clicked the website link and it was a dead link. Looks like there still around though....

carson blocks
05-30-2016, 10:15 AM
Shitty. Would a wetsanding and power polishing be a possible alternative to a full repaint?

richardmoca
05-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Wet sanding...possibly if they don't cut through...not many people in Red Deer that want to do that as that is a big risk...if someone is willing to do that and there are no issues then a clear coat reapplication would solve it all.

richardmoca
05-30-2016, 08:56 PM

Similar to the results I had on my M3 except mine started to have issues all over the A pillar area.

In regards to Shine Revolution I googled and clicked the website link and it was a dead link. Looks like there still around though....

Do you have any photos of that?

I have good news and bad news for you...that domain is down but the owner is out of Sylvan Lake...

hurrdurr
05-30-2016, 11:46 PM
What dealer?

I have a buddy who bought a car recently in Edmonton and his clearcoat is peeling on the rear quarter panel. The car is 2011 or 2012 AFAIK and shouldn't be peeling. He didn't think much of it but I think I'll let him know about this and to look into it.

Thanks

richardmoca
05-31-2016, 11:29 AM
It was purchased from Jaguar and Land Rover...get your buddy to get in touch with me. PM me his number. Thanks.

SKR
06-09-2016, 04:24 PM
The body shops that you've been talking to in Red Deer, are they saying that this will happen to every vehicle that's had RR applied to it, or just that it could happen if it's applied improperly? Because there's a difference and I'm not really sure what the truth actually is. You have my attention because you're saying that RR will fuck up my vehicle, but other than the pictures you've made some big claims with no proof to back them up. I'm not even sure from what you've posted that your problems were from RR, and not from something else that the dealer was hoping to cover up with the RR.

I'm not saying this because I think you're a liar or a dick or whatever. What you've posted is definitely shitty. I'm saying it because I have it on my truck, and I want to know what led to your situation so that I know what I'm in for. Just saying that you had RR applied and now it's fucked isn't enough for anyone to make a decision one way or the other.

richardmoca
06-09-2016, 04:46 PM
The body shops in Red Deer say stay away from this guys work. If you don't believe me call Southaide Dodge and ask about the 2 Vipers this guy ruined, or Red Deer Motors and ask about the 4Runner that had to be bought back from the customer...from what I was told this guy brought this product from the States years ago and decided he can make his own (to save money)...he doesn't go by his real name, everyone that knows him is Red Deer isn't very happy with him or his work, and my car and the guy's friend above has the same issue...if the product used in MH is the same as this guy sold to them then I'd be worried...don't get me wrong I'm no expert I just go by what I've been told by experts.

rlim891
07-03-2016, 03:42 PM

ouch such kind words. Yes Shine Revolution is closed as we were having tremendous problems with restorkoat. Factory clear coat wont peel, what you are seeing is Restorkoat peeling. I recall we paid for a new cut polish on your M3 which costed $800+ to another detailer to have it removed? As for the 3M, we have been stating that we will replace it for you...I just never heard back. But if it's bothering you still, we will compensate you back for it.

Restorkoat peeling does not happen to all vehicles. Restorkoat is just another brand for hand applied clear coat. There are ClearFX, Restor-FX and X-Kote.

We may not had been the best back then but we took responsibility of the mistakes that we our staff had made.

rlim891
07-03-2016, 03:53 PM
For those who are worried about the peeling. well one thing for sure its RR and not your factory clear that's peeling. Wetsanding with 2000grit and then polish will fix the problem. The more severe ones will require you to do 1500grit, 2000grit then 3000grit. Finishing off with a 3000grit just helps so it's easier to polish off the sand marks. What cause the peeling, we don't know. I have gotten all kinds of answer from the manufacturer so I won't comment there.

Sentry
09-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Been seeing this stuff pimped on my facebook feed lately. Did a google search and what do you know! A Beyond thread!

richardmoca
09-15-2016, 04:14 PM
Here is a link of this stuff being pressure washed off...I was told my mirrors are the only place that this stuff generally doesn't hold :bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEHnT2Nnie4

mr2mike
09-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by bourge73

Monorail, Monorail, Monorail

Is there a chance the clearcoat will bend?

richardmoca
09-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Is there a chance the clearcoat will bend?

Not sure what that means...

dj_rice
09-16-2016, 04:18 PM

Not sure what that means...

Epic Simpsons episode

SKR
09-18-2016, 01:31 PM
I've applied clearcoat in Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook.

bourge73
09-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Frankenshine, Frakenshine, Frakenshine. Fraken

richardmoca
03-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Anyone else experience issues with this product?

SKR
03-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Still no issues with mine.

rlim891
04-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Here is a link of this stuff being pressure washed off...I was told my mirrors are the only place that this stuff generally doesn't hold :bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEHnT2Nnie4

A cut polish would fix it :)