PDA

View Full Version : Wedding cake. How many portions and what did you spend?

cycosis
05-29-2016, 11:54 PM
Just got out of a quote session today. For 80 portions, $750 for a basic 3 tiered plain cake. The fuck?

Who'd you use? What'd you pay? Would you recommend them? All info appreciated.

Buster
05-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Wedding cakes are a waste of money. Buy something plain or cupcakes or some shit, and allocate that money to a better open bar.

jdmXSI
05-29-2016, 11:59 PM
We used a black lady in panorama that we met at the wedding show in October and paid about the same for 120ish people.

Weddings aren't cheap....

dirtsniffer
05-30-2016, 01:27 AM
We used jelly modern donuts. Fuck buying an expensive mediocre cake only to pay more to have someone cut it.

403ep3
05-30-2016, 06:49 AM
We got a quote from brulee at like 800 starting :dunno:

We ended up going with the Dragon City bakery as we didn't care how it really looked and wanted something that actually would taste good. :love:

ExtraSlow
05-30-2016, 07:00 AM
I had a sheet cake for my wedding. Actually, two half sheets, so we could have flavours. :bigpimp:

Darell_n
05-30-2016, 07:33 AM
I had butter cream cupcake somethingoranother on a 3 tier tray. Wedding and funerals they got you by the balls when it comes to cost.

blitz
05-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I had a sheet cake for my wedding. Actually, two half sheets, so we could have flavours. :bigpimp:

Same. Cakeworks, I think it was $120?

nickyh
05-30-2016, 07:52 AM
if I could go back, I would just do cupcakes and for the cake cutting ceremony I should have the top tier real and the bottom two fake.

My cake wound up costing $900 i think, but it was a few years ago and none of my guests cared to eat any.

You could also do the real top and fake bottoms and supply the location with a slab cake instead, no one would know the difference. Also - ask your venue if they charge a cake cutting fee - some can range up to $2 per slice.

I recently tried a cake from "because life is sweet" for my daughters cake smash and I was fricken amazed at how good her cake was. The cost was included in the photo session so I'm not sure what she(?) charges.

Kloubek
05-30-2016, 08:23 AM
We did cupcakes for the main "eating" portion, and a small wedding cake for the cutting pictures. Worked out well, and spent well under 2 bills.

Feruk
05-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Are you really that bad of a friend that you'll ask your friends to suffer through a "cake cutting ceremony?" Are you trying to make your wedding less fun at a cost of $750 for something you probably won't enjoy? Worse, if your buddies are already drunk at this point (almost guaranteed), they'll just ignore the "ceremony" entirely. Seen that at a few weddings where it was bride/groom and like 10 old people standing around, with everyone else doing other stuff.

We had cupcakes somewhere in the back. Announcement during speeches, never mentioned again.

lasimmon
05-30-2016, 09:10 AM
I don't think I have ever had wedding cake at a wedding before?

As in I choose not to eat any.

ee2k
05-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
Just got out of a quote session today. For 80 portions, $750 for a basic 3 tiered plain cake. The fuck?

Who'd you use? What'd you pay? Would you recommend them? All info appreciated.

How does $750 compare to your entire wedding budget? Not that it should matter, but curious.

Weddings are expensive. It's throwaway money unless you, like many of our asian brethrens here, expect to make more than what you spend in the form of cash gifts.

Heck I would do ice cream cakes from DQ, have them made plain, all white, and do an ornament at the top.

JRSC00LUDE
05-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Christ, that's the cost of your first hour consult with a divorce Lawyer.

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I don't think I have ever had wedding cake at a wedding before?

As in I choose not to eat any.

This. Every wedding I have been to (so far), most people don't even eat the cake because it is gross, dry, plain white cake and everyone just wants to hit the bar haha. Or most of it gets thrown out because it's served to you anyway and people just have one bite then put their fork down.

I did not know they are $750+ though haha, that is ridiculous.

The most successful ideas I've seen were a "candy bar", cupcakes, and a midnight snack bar and I'm sure all were well under $750.

80 Crave Cupcakes would be less than $250.

schurchill39
05-30-2016, 12:05 PM
We're doing a small cake from Whippt (http://whippt.ca/) for the cake cutting ceremony then keep a small portion for the 1 year anniversary then doing cupcakes and a cookie bar for everyone else. I think all in including set up, display rentals etc we are looking at $800 ish. As soon as anything is wedding related you're going to get charged an arm and a leg.

I know Sirocco golf and country club would have charged $3/slice as a "cake cutting fee" which is absolutely retarded. That's highway robbery if you ask me hence the cupcakes.

ExtraSlow
05-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Blitz, you are baller with that customized sheet cake. Mine was undecorated. Pretty tasty though.

cycosis
05-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Dont overly care about some huge ceremony, I just want cake! Theres no cake cutting fee but they require a receipt as they dont allow homemade for some stupid reason. (pisses me off as my lady is damn fine baker).

This is good food for thought though with the public opinion. Some good stuff to discuss with the lady.

And Im white so Im not counting on getting much or any cash from guests.

Mitsu3000gt
05-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
Dont overly care about some huge ceremony, I just want cake! Theres no cake cutting fee but they require a receipt as they dont allow homemade for some stupid reason. (pisses me off as my lady is damn fine baker).

Could you not just do up an invoice and "buy" the cake from a "friend"? Lots of people sell baking out of their homes. They will never know where the cake came from and they aren't going to spend any time investigating the invoice or confirming that money changed hands. Just use a buddy's name and do up an invoice for "Bob's Baked Goods" or whatever, and then get your wife to make the cake you both seem to want. It your day, I wouldn't feel bad about cutting some corners to get what you want over something so ridiculous.

AndyL
05-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Christ, that's the cost of your first hour consult with a divorce Lawyer.

But its so much more satisfying ;)

Amandine - huge slab of tiramisu - 200ish

sputnik
05-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Same. Cakeworks, I think it was $120?

Those are some nice cake titties.

drtoohotty1
05-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
We did cupcakes for the main "eating" portion, and a small wedding cake for the cutting pictures. Worked out well, and spent well under 2 bills.

We did this and a candy bar for under 250 and everyone was happy

sabad66
05-30-2016, 03:05 PM
We have about 250 people coming to ours, and we are planning to do a small cake for cutting ceremony + 150 crave cupcakes available at midnight snack. We figure not everyone will want one, and if there are any leftovers cupcakes will be a lot easier to take home vs. extra cake

lasimmon
05-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Cupcakes for midnight snack?? :confused:

sabad66
05-30-2016, 03:26 PM
That won't be the only thing at midnight snack

We are going to have dessert at the end of dinner, so we figured it would be a bit redundant to have cupcakes with dinner right after dessert. That's why we are pushing it to midnight with the other snack food... probably pizza.

cycosis
05-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Again all great points. Thx

D'z Nutz
05-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The most successful ideas I've seen were a "candy bar", cupcakes, and a midnight snack bar and I'm sure all were well under $750.

I'd have to agree with these too. Almost all the weddings I've been at, a lot of the cake goes to waste because people either rush to the dance floor, the bar, or they just don't want any cake but the weddings with the candy/snack/cupcake bars are really popular, especially with guests with young kids.

eblend
05-30-2016, 09:22 PM
I has a small reception so we just bought two cakes from T&T and stacked them up on a cake stand my dad made haha :) We had two different flavours, chocolate and vanilla. Think it was like $80 all in haha, only had 20 people at the wedding though.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Weddings/Wedding-Day/Franks-Photos/i-wjSFGjd/0/XL/D%26Y%20Wedding-315-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Weddings/Wedding-Day/Franks-Photos/i-WVbmnxF/0/X2/D%26Y%20Wedding-316-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Weddings/Wedding-Day/Franks-Photos/i-WnNrNhp/0/X2/D%26Y%20Wedding-317-X2.jpg

Royle9
06-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Fiance and I chose Whippt as well.

75-80 People
3 different flavors of "filled" cupcakes and then a single tier cutting cake for the ceremonial "cut"
Decorations/Flowers/Setup

All in I think it was just around $650 which is pretty decent.

msommers
06-01-2016, 11:26 AM
The last wedding I was at had probably the greatest idea ever: midnight snack bar composed of make your own poutine :drool:

Mitsu3000gt
06-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Royle9
Fiance and I chose Whippt as well.

75-80 People
3 different flavors of "filled" cupcakes and then a single tier cutting cake for the ceremonial "cut"
Decorations/Flowers/Setup

All in I think it was just around $650 which is pretty decent.

$650 for a basic cake and cupcakes for 75-80 people :eek: That seems crazy to me haha.

80 specialty cupcakes of various flavors from Crave or similar - $250

Awesome cake from a good bakery - $50-100

Are they charging you $300 to set the cake up on a table?

Man, I need to get into the wedding business :rofl:

sabad66
06-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by msommers
The last wedding I was at had probably the greatest idea ever: midnight snack bar composed of make your own poutine :drool:
I went to a wedding last Sept at the Palliser and the groom was hyping up the make your own poutine midnight snack, but i was extremely underwhelmed. The fries were really bad, and the gravy wasn't good. At least they had real cheese curds...

Seth1968
06-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Weddings. Seriously?

Yet another BS and archaic endeavour that should just go away.

Average Canadian wedding cost? 25 to 30 grand.

Have the wedding in the backyard and put the cash toward something that isn't emotionally inclined.

msommers
06-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

I went to a wedding last Sept at the Palliser and the groom was hyping up the make your own poutine midnight snack, but i was extremely underwhelmed. The fries were really bad, and the gravy wasn't good. At least they had real cheese curds...

Damn that's brutal!

I was so hammered by midnight, poutine was exactly what I needed :rofl:

CompletelyNumb
06-01-2016, 02:41 PM
+1 for Crave Cupcakes. Save your money, guests will enjoy them more.

HiTempguy1
06-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Amandine - huge slab of tiramisu - 200ish

Fuck.

Yes.

:drool: