PDA

View Full Version : Did I bend my trailer hitch?

r3ccOs
05-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Needing to move my trailer into a permanent location, I took off the stabilizers (as we are supposed to) and the lot was unfortunately a bit of a front to back grade.

After moving the thing around quite a few times... to find an ideal spot, I unhitched, and hrm... it looks like my hitch is now angling downwards more...

Its an F150 w/ a class 4 stock hitch, and a Reese shank hitch and I'm pretty certain I've done it this way many times in the past, but this lot was fairly angled (I almost have the front jack on the ground and the rear stabilizing scissor jacks are almost fully extended)

The shank if perfectly straight, so now I'm thinking I may have bent the hitch or the frame, but I really can't tell...

trailer is a double axle and about 9k lbs in weight.

SOAB
05-30-2016, 12:11 PM
9k lb trailer probably has about 1200lbs of tongue weight. that is a lot of weight for a class 4 hitch that is only rated for 500lbs weight carrying.

does it look straight when the truck is on level ground?

why do you have to remove your WD bars to back up? what kind of hitch do you have?

JustinMCS
05-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Class 4 boasts a gross trailer weight capacity of up to 10,000 lbs. and a tongue weight capacity at 1,000 lbs

thats what i found on the internet

do you know your tongue weight on the trailer?

ExtraSlow
05-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Pretty common for some types of hitches to remove WD bars before backing up. A slow speeds, it should be fine. I'd be really surprised if you did bend the hitch itself.

ShermanEF9
05-30-2016, 05:45 PM
pics? maybe we can tell you for sure.

r3ccOs
06-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
pics? maybe we can tell you for sure.

I'll have to post one, my neighbor who tows alot for his concrete job says maybe a "little" but no big deal, and should be adjustable with the 6 bolts underneath.

ShermanEF9
06-03-2016, 05:07 PM
yeah, might have just pulled it down. doubtful you bent it.