PDA

View Full Version : Question about traffic cameras

LUDELVR
06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
I was at a red light in the left lane at the front of the pack on a 3 lane road and there was a truck in the far right lane. There is a traffic camera posted there that is speed on green and red light so I'm wondering, the guy in the truck floored it and just shot out to way ahead and I'm just curious if these lights take photos for people who launch off of the line.:dunno:

rage2
06-02-2016, 01:26 PM
It doesn't, unless that truck does 0 to over speed limit where the sensor sits, which IIRC is behind the line.

Mitsu3000gt
06-02-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't think they would, he probably wasn't speeding by the time he cleared the intersection and it doesn't sound like he ran a red.

Accelerating too fast is wildly subjective and "stunting" in the eyes of CPS but I highly doubt the cameras do anything about it unless you somehow exceed the speed limit by the camera threshold in the few feet before you go through the intersection.

bjstare
06-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It doesn't, unless that truck does 0 to over speed limit where the sensor sits, which IIRC is behind the line.

This is true.

It doesn't matter what speed he's doing when he clears the intersection, the speed is measured with in-ground sensors that are leading up to the intersection.

LUDELVR
06-02-2016, 01:48 PM
All good. It was on Memorial Drive and 28th street where it's 80 km/h so I'm guessing he didn't quite get that far. Now I know for next time so I can gun it! :nut:

:rofl:

revelations
06-02-2016, 02:51 PM
It the lights are red, yes 1-5kph will trigger a capture (this is also what happens if you have to move into the intersection to clear an emergency vehicle).

If the lights are green, you would have to be going 10+ the limit for a capture.