PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Electricians

firebane
06-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Looking to get some feedback or perhaps someone who could give me a bit of advice regarding some electrical work.

I recently moved into a new rental and 2 of the rooms in the rental are still using 2 prong outlets. I am wanting to swap out the 2 prong for 3 prong and I know there are a few ways of doing this.

I know that one way is to use GFCI plugs but then label them as non grounded but I am looking at having them properly done so equipment can be used correctly in these rooms.

Now I have full access to the attic, basement (had drop ceiling and open ceiling in laundry room), and the electrical panel. The electrical panel has 67 slots and not even half is being used.

Has anyone done this type of work before and if so which course did you go and if you had to re-run new wiring what was the cost? I took a look inside the box and its using old 2 wire and not metal encased.

RealJimmyJames
06-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Will your landlord permit you to modify the wiring?

rx7_turbo2
06-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Gotta check with landlord for sure.

There are a couple methods. The first is to replace the receptacles with GFCI's. The second is to install GFCI "dead fronts" at the panel. Either way I do believe you have to install the "no equipment ground" stickers on the receptacles.

firebane
06-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Landlord is good and no issues there. We have pretty good free reign to do as we want. I don't want to do the GFCI route as I have stuff like computers and such to be used.

rx7_turbo2
06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Landlord is good and no issues there. We have pretty good free reign to do as we want. I don't want to do the GFCI route as I have stuff like computers and such to be used.

You really have no choice but a GFCI route. Unless you want to re-wire the house with cables that contain a ground?

firebane
06-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

You really have no choice but a GFCI route. Unless you want to re-wire the house with cables that contain a ground?

Would running just a ground from outlet to electrical box meet code standards?

rx7_turbo2
06-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Would running just a ground from outlet to electrical box meet code standards?

Hmmmm, not sure I'll have to check, if you're going through the trouble of running a ground why not just run a new cable?