PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn replaces 60,000 workers with robots.

ZenOps
06-02-2016, 03:12 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376966

Buster
06-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Minimum wage is, and always will be, zero.

vengie
06-02-2016, 04:54 PM
This will start happening more and more.

lilmira
06-02-2016, 04:59 PM
the machines are coming

rx7_turbo2
06-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I've used fast food as an example here. Why is there someone at a till placing my order on a touch screen? Why can't there just be a bank of touch screens where I just do it myself, ticket prints out with a number, when my orders up the number pops up in a screen and I go grab it? Raise the min wage and you'll start seeng this stuff awfully quickly.

AndyL
06-02-2016, 05:20 PM
You haven't used the touch screens at mcd's?

Doesn't help - they still royally f*ck it up every time :D

rx7_turbo2
06-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
You haven't used the touch screens at mcd's?

Doesn't help - they still royally f*ck it up every time :D

Only used them overseas, I don't eat much of it here do they have them now?

FraserB
06-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Yup, they actually work great. I had never used one before, still managed to get my food faster than usual.

blairtruck
06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
well when i go to mcdicks. there is now a person standing at the self serve machine to help the idiots who cant figure it out.
I love it. Walk in with iphone. scan coupon and pay with apple pay. takes 10 secs.

max_boost
06-02-2016, 06:37 PM
I've used fast food as an example here. Why is there someone at a till placing my order on a touch screen? Why can't there just be a bank of touch screens where I just do it myself, ticket prints out with a number, when my orders up the number pops up in a screen and I go grab it? Raise the min wage and you'll start seeng this stuff awfully quickly. Just a matter of time

Xtrema
06-02-2016, 06:40 PM

Yes, I believe 90% do now.

You either got a bunch of people blocking it and takes forever or it'll be super fast.

Back on topic,

Wonder if SmartTech is going to start laying off people as Foxconn has bought them out. Or will they be replaced with robots too.

Maxt
06-02-2016, 07:30 PM
I've used fast food as an example here. Why is there someone at a till placing my order on a touch screen? Why can't there just be a bank of touch screens where I just do it myself, ticket prints out with a number, when my orders up the number pops up in a screen and I go grab it? Raise the min wage and you'll start seeng this stuff awfully quickly.
Fast Food by ticket vending machines was something I saw in Japan in 02-03.. Fine for food served in a uniform way, the digital transition now makes it so the food can be optioned conveniently....
But Jesus christ, watching some people operate the Mc D touch screens is painful. They have to have more people out on the floor now helping with the screens, so many people just give up and go to the counter.

RealJimmyJames
06-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Love the McDonalds Touch screen. Last time I was there, the helper dude gave me half my order for free. Not sure what was up with that. Food always comes out right, and they deliver it to my table, and they'll get me extra ketchup, like a boss. :bigpimp:

Sugarphreak
06-03-2016, 11:25 AM

rage2
06-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Love the McDonalds Touch screen. Last time I was there, the helper dude gave me half my order for free. Not sure what was up with that. Food always comes out right, and they deliver it to my table, and they'll get me extra ketchup, like a boss. :bigpimp:
That was a promotion they were running. Order create your taste burger on your own, fries and drinks were free.

I noticed that you have to order at least 1 create your taste burger to get them to deliver your order to your table. If you don't, you'll have to stand in line like the rest of the peasants. :rofl:

Rat Fink
06-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Masked Bandit
06-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Robots don't take sick days, or form unions, or take smoke breaks and chat for hours with one another.

Or steal from you / give free product to it's friends.

01RedDX
06-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Xtrema
06-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Or sleep with your wife.

Yet.

Seth1968
06-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I noticed that you have to order at least 1 create your taste burger to get them to deliver your order to your table. If you don't, you'll have to stand in line like the rest of the peasants. :rofl:

I'm thinking you have a grasp on a such a "peasant" term.

And once again, our education system will teach nothing of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA

Sugarphreak
06-03-2016, 10:27 PM

zhao
06-04-2016, 04:53 PM
meh. This just means there will be a need for people to design this stuff, design the tools needed to build this stuff, technicians to repair it, and people to staff the companies that sell it.

It basically frees up labour to do other stuff. The only problem is if you live in a country or region that doesn't have a stake in profiting off that other stuff. Or if you are a person that can't be educated/trained to do that other stuff.

The equiv. of digging ditches for a living is not a good long term career plan and I'm not really going to mourn the loss of these jobs. The reason why labour is cheap and why people have nothing beyond basic skills in certain areas too is because they do not understand having a bazillion kids one of the two main reasons why their area is a shit hole to live in. If people stopped being so selfish thinking they should have more kids than is needed to replace themselves they'd better the lot they are in.

The other problem is corruption in government, and that is largely on the people living in these regions too.

Seth1968
06-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by zhao
meh.

The other problem is corruption in government

Ya, you and me both.

But never mind that, "I'm pregnant issue".