PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have been robbed before...

R-Audi
06-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Is it worth your time to visit or watch local pawn shops and Kijiji etc for your stuff?

My garage was broken into on the weekend and had a few items stolen. My insurance deductible isnt huge, but I just feel like I have to do something. Police said they could have finger printed the car if my Wife hadnt taken it out of the garage, but she was in a rush to go to the airport. Already went out and bought a new lock and motion lights, and thinking about either a security system or home video.

Items that were stolen:
-Rigid 5 piece tool combo set in bag
-Ryobi battery and charger
-Ping i25 Driver
-Ping i25 3 wood
-Ping i25 Hybrid
-Credit Card spending spree (was in car)

nzwasp
06-06-2016, 10:53 AM
how did they get into the garage?

vengie
06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
how did they get into the garage?

My guess would be with the garage door opener in the car. That's huge right now, my dad's bike was stolen due to this.

Ca_Silvia13
06-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Do you actually have serial #'s for the item that were stolen? If not, probably not worth it.

HiTempguy1
06-06-2016, 11:07 AM
I once had a brand new FIA race seat stolen out of my Civic overnight (it wasn't mounted, I was transporting it).

Like WTF did they do? Break into the car and steal it just because? And then walk down through Old Strathcona carrying a big f*&king fibreglass race seat??!

Never saw it again, watched for months to see if it popped up. :nut:

Also, if you don't have the Serial Numbers or some way of identifying the stuff with proof, good luck trying to lay claim to it. Only way I've seen it done is to set up a time to "buy" the stuff, go and look at it, and basically just walk away with it. That's a dicey proposition though.

Simple fact is, it's impossible to really lay claim to anything under $5k without substantial proof, and the police have more important things to do. I'd just deal with insurance and move on.

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2016, 11:11 AM
My GF's old car was broken into and robbed multiple times. Every time, CPS said they wouldn't do a thing about it, basically "to bad". We made multiple formal complaints. Didn't even bother investigating it or taking finger prints which would have probably been everywhere. All I learned from the process was that you are free to do minor theft/break-ins as much as you want without any threat whatsoever from police intervention. They even told me straight up they wouldn't do anything if I caught the guy on video, so we didn't' go down that road either.

Pretty sure all that stuff is gone for good. Just make a CC claim and insurance claim if it makes sense to do so and be done with it. CPS will not spend any time on it whatsoever.

Sugarphreak
06-06-2016, 11:15 AM

Xtrema
06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Have this in my garage:

http://ca.dlink.com/products/connected-home/hd-wi-fi-camera/

Take 6 pics and email to you when motion is detected. So you'll know within 1 min that someone is in your garage.

Simple and cheap, got mine from Staples for $80.

R-Audi
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
The thieves hopped my fence and went through the door. (Garage is not attached, Wife left it unlocked) We found out another neighbor had their garage entry door kicked in on the same block.

While I dont have serial numbers, the clubs were purchased as demo's, so they do have a distinct marking on them. Im just hoping its not too much hassle with insurance.

CompletelyNumb
06-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Last month my friend's 2008 Kawasaki ZX 10R Ninja was stolen from his townhouse parking lot. CPS never even came for a statement, just took a few quick notes over the phone. He called a few times and they told him to stop calling, they would follow up if needed.

Guessing he'll never see it again

codetrap
06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

speedog
06-06-2016, 12:36 PM
All this alarm/sensor/video stuff is great but if you're not home then it's of not much use to you. Police usually won't respond and they most likely do not care about any video so in the end it's just about making yourself feel good.

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago.

Sugarphreak
06-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Thaco
06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by speedog
All this alarm/sensor/video stuff is great but if you're not home then it's of not much use to you. Police usually won't respond and they most likely do not care about any video so in the end it's just about making yourself feel good.

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago. but at the same time, if the would be thieves know its there, they'll usually pass by, i had my yard rummaged through several times, i put up a security camera and a sign indicating i have a camera, i have seen many shady characters walk up slowly to the gate and then as soon as the motion light comes on and they see the camera/sign, they swiftly continue on their lowlife journey.

legendboy
06-06-2016, 04:00 PM
4am this morning someone tried to get into my garage. i did not have my back gate locked as i usually do. The guy pried the door open just enough at the top to set the alarm off.

Down there in my boxers with a 2' machette looking around in my yard and alley

10 mins later commotion 4 doors down, same guy (prob) entered one of my neighbour garage and set off their car alarm.

bspot
06-06-2016, 04:24 PM
I put a piece of steel plate along the door jamb for the man door to my garage, and 3.5" screws through the hinges, and a lower deadbolt at the height you'd try kick a door.

You can always take a sawzall to the wall, but I like to make life hard fore people trying to rip off my stuff.

yellowsnow
06-06-2016, 05:08 PM
someone broke into my garage a year ago. garage door was opened with no sign of forcible entry. my neighbour showed me how to break into garage doors in a few seconds using a simple coat hanger and how to prevent it from happening.

CMz1tXBVT1s

he showed me an easy fix is to use a zip tie to secure the safety latch to make it much harder for thieves to break in
LgwJXwKK3f4

speedog
06-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Man, do y'all live in the NE?

Rat Fink
06-06-2016, 05:29 PM

88CRX
06-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago.

Man, do y'all live in the NE?

We get it. You don't think B&E's area a real thing. But guess what, they happen.

blairtruck
06-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

We get it. You don't think B&E's area a real thing. But guess what, they happen.
if i was doing BandE i would go the nice parts instead of the shit parts. But i guess ya gotta get there some how also.

speedog
06-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Oh, I am well aware that break and enters happen, I just wonder why some are more prone then others and find it interesting how some people think an alarm system et al will bring that type of activity to a halt or that the police will respond quicker.

The_Penguin
06-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Oh, I am well aware that break and enters happen, I just wonder why some are more prone then others and find it interesting how some people think an alarm system et al will bring that type of activity to a halt or that the police will respond quicker.

Motion lights and cameras definitely don't seem to always deter, based on the crazy youtube videos posted. A friend of mine has some interesting videos of people stealing shit from his yard under the motion lights, and one woman peeing beside the fence also in view of the camera and under lights.

Alarm systems (in my experience) do seem to help. Had a break-in in my place in Sandstone, alarm went off, thieves split. one dirty footprint coming in, then an about-face and one heading out.

speedog
06-06-2016, 06:50 PM
The best I heard was of a guy who I used to work with at TELUS who had an alarm system in his home. Thieves broke in, did their thing and even stole the alarm system

The_Penguin
06-06-2016, 06:56 PM
The best I heard was of a guy who I used to work with at TELUS who had an alarm system in his home. Thieves broke in, did their thing and even stole the alarm system

Now That's funny!

codetrap
06-06-2016, 07:02 PM

speedog
06-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
So, when my phone stars going off that my house is being broke into, and I as the homeowner call the police and say that someone is breaking into my house right now and I have a live video of them doing it. You're saying the cops won't show up any quicker..... quicker than what?

:banghead: :facepalm:

There's been people in these forums who have stated such, they couldn't be wrong, no?

Chandler_Racing
06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
I hate thieves, had about $6k worth of shit stolen so I added an ear piercing siren that runs on my home automation system triggered off motion or opening events.

Watched kijiji for a few months and nothing came up. Have added one 1080p camera and will be running some POE for more later.

Maxt
06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Motion lights and cameras definitely don't seem to always deter, based on the crazy youtube videos posted. A friend of mine has some interesting videos of people stealing shit from his yard under the motion lights, and one woman peeing beside the fence also in view of the camera and under lights.

Alarm systems (in my experience) do seem to help. Had a break-in in my place in Sandstone, alarm went off, thieves split. one dirty footprint coming in, then an about-face and one heading out.
Back in the day when I was a teen living with my parents in the NE ( Abbeydale), the CPS came to our door to find out why our house was the only one to not be broken into on the main drive. B&E's were rampant in the area, 2 or 3 a day... Apparently our house was the only one on the main drive with an alarm system. Every house has an ADT sign it seems now, so maybe they just accept an alarm as a hazard to deal with now.

codetrap
06-06-2016, 07:36 PM

R-Audi
06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
For what its worth Im in Windsor Park, which is like 6 blocks from Chinook Centre. Im certainly going to look into an IP camera for the garage and either a DIY smart alarm or full fledged. My Wife was at home with the kids that night and she was a little shaken up.

speedog
06-06-2016, 08:17 PM
The only person who's stated anything of the sort in this thread is you.

I would be really interested to see where people in this forum have reported a robbery in progress at their home and then had the police not respond.

Do you even read, I didn't say this thread.

The_Penguin
06-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

Back in the day when I was a teen living with my parents in the NE ( Abbeydale), the CPS came to our door to find out why our house was the only one to not be broken into on the main drive. B&E's were rampant in the area, 2 or 3 a day... Apparently our house was the only one on the main drive with an alarm system. Every house has an ADT sign it seems now, so maybe they just accept an alarm as a hazard to deal with now.
Could be, also they probably know that a lot of the signs are just signs, no alarm, or alarm that's had contract cancelled and is no longer monitored

The_Penguin
06-06-2016, 08:44 PM
So, when my phone stars going off that my house is being broke into, and I as the homeowner call the police and say that someone is breaking into my house right now and I have a live video of them doing it. You're saying the cops won't show up any quicker..... quicker than what?

:banghead: :facepalm:

The police DO respond higher priority if it's a break in that's in-progress (whether it be based on a neighbor watching it, and calling it in, or the homeowner saying they're confirming it via video) just like they do with a confirmed commercial break-in or assault or whatever.

blairtruck
06-06-2016, 08:52 PM
always say you think you see a weapon if you want faster response time.

codetrap
06-06-2016, 09:05 PM

phil98z24
06-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Is it worth your time to visit or watch local pawn shops and Kijiji etc for your stuff?

My garage was broken into on the weekend and had a few items stolen. My insurance deductible isnt huge, but I just feel like I have to do something. Police said they could have finger printed the car if my Wife hadnt taken it out of the garage, but she was in a rush to go to the airport. Already went out and bought a new lock and motion lights, and thinking about either a security system or home video.

Items that were stolen:
-Rigid 5 piece tool combo set in bag
-Ryobi battery and charger
-Ping i25 Driver
-Ping i25 3 wood
-Ping i25 Hybrid
-Credit Card spending spree (was in car)

It's worth it if you have the time. The information from stolen property reports is cross referenced to that entering pawn shops, but there is some lag between the two systems. So if you have the time and will, by all means have at it. There are a lot of break and enters, thefts, car prowlings, and other types of property crime that happen every day and it takes a bit for the systems to update and sync.

And you weren't robbed. It was a break and enter. Robbery is a personal crime with violence/threatened violence. Just had to say it, sorry. :)

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
My GF's old car was broken into and robbed multiple times. Every time, CPS said they wouldn't do a thing about it, basically "to bad". We made multiple formal complaints. Didn't even bother investigating it or taking finger prints which would have probably been everywhere. All I learned from the process was that you are free to do minor theft/break-ins as much as you want without any threat whatsoever from police intervention. They even told me straight up they wouldn't do anything if I caught the guy on video, so we didn't' go down that road either.

Pretty sure all that stuff is gone for good. Just make a CC claim and insurance claim if it makes sense to do so and be done with it. CPS will not spend any time on it whatsoever.

Your girlfriend's car was parked outside in a parking lot where any number of people could have touched it all day, every day. There is no continuity on those prints on the car, and it's almost impossible to put that on a bad guy beyond a reasonable doubt without other good evidence. Also, the inside of cars have almost no printable surfaces, and shit heads wear gloves. It's not worth destroying the inside of a car with printing powder to find a few unusable prints. We also don't tend to ignore video evidence.

You and I talked about this on PM and all the advice you got was from a civilian, not a police officer. :)

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Last month my friend's 2008 Kawasaki ZX 10R Ninja was stolen from his townhouse parking lot. CPS never even came for a statement, just took a few quick notes over the phone. He called a few times and they told him to stop calling, they would follow up if needed.

Guessing he'll never see it again

There is very little that can be done to investigate stolen vehicles. When they are gone, the evidence is gone with them. When it's recovered, the owner gets a phone call. Not sure what else you think the police can do?

And to address the rest, if you see someone on video and it's a confirmed break and enter, you better believe we respond and we respond fast. Alarm notifications don't really mean anything these days because there are so many false alarms and there is lag between when it happens and the alarm company finally tells us and by then bad guy is long gone. That's why I recommended in another thread to get video monitoring, both for evidence and for response.

That's my two bits. I'm going back into hiding. :rofl:

CompletelyNumb
06-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24
There is very little that can be done to investigate stolen vehicles. When they are gone, the evidence is gone with them. When it's recovered, the owner gets a phone call. Not sure what else you think the police can do?

Nothing really, I didn't say they should have. Just relaying a story. It was the first time something was stolen from my friend, I think he was more so hoping one of those many stolen property busts would yield his bike.

C'est la vie.

Thaco
06-07-2016, 08:16 AM

It's worth it if you have the time. The information from stolen property reports is cross referenced to that entering pawn shops, but there is some lag between the two systems. So if you have the time and will, by all means have at it. There are a lot of break and enters, thefts, car prowlings, and other types of property crime that happen every day and it takes a bit for the systems to update and sync.

And you weren't robbed. It was a break and enter. Robbery is a personal crime with violence/threatened violence. Just had to say it, sorry. :)

Your girlfriend's car was parked outside in a parking lot where any number of people could have touched it all day, every day. There is no continuity on those prints on the car, and it's almost impossible to put that on a bad guy beyond a reasonable doubt without other good evidence. Also, the inside of cars have almost no printable surfaces, and shit heads wear gloves. It's not worth destroying the inside of a car with printing powder to find a few unusable prints. We also don't tend to ignore video evidence.

You and I talked about this on PM and all the advice you got was from a civilian, not a police officer. :)

And to address the rest, if you see someone on video and it's a confirmed break and enter, you better believe we respond and we respond fast. Alarm notifications don't really mean anything these days because there are so many false alarms and there is lag between when it happens and the alarm company finally tells us and by then bad guy is long gone. That's why I recommended in another thread to get video monitoring, both for evidence and for response.

That's my two bits. I'm going back into hiding. :rofl:

thanks for the only half intelligent post in this whole thread...

Theres a reason 911 is not only the EMERGENCY LINE, but also the CRIME IN PROGRESS line... call 266-1234 and the first thing it says is if its an emergency OR a crime in progress, call 911

Kijho
06-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Have this in my garage:

Take 6 pics and email to you when motion is detected. So you'll know within 1 min that someone is in your garage.

Thanks man, gonna go pick one of these up

Mitsu3000gt
06-07-2016, 09:06 AM

Actually there were several trips to the police station and several phone calls after I talked to you. This went on long after. I wasn't referring to our conversation at all, my frustrations were with the actual police officers we talked to but it doesn't matter anymore. :) They were also the ones that told me they wouldn't do anything even with a video. We even found out who it was and they wouldn't even go talk to them.

kragnorok
06-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Just as a heads up to anyone that has had property stolen, I saw this on Reddit the other day.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calgarypolice/albums/with/72157668185688016

The CPS has a Flickr account setup where they post pictures of recovered property. If you have had things stolen, not a bad idea to check it out maybe.

codetrap
06-07-2016, 10:30 AM

kragnorok
06-07-2016, 10:52 AM
If you subscribe to them on facebook they post this stuff regularly.

Fair enough! I never really use FB so maybe that will be helpful for people that don't have accounts on there.

Xtrema
06-07-2016, 10:53 AM

That's why you need monitoring if you want to limit the thieves time in your home. The minute they know it's just an alarm, it's pretty easy to find the horn and kill it.

R-Audi
06-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I have started my claim with my insurance company and it looks like I can get full replacement value, so I dont think I will be playing super sleuth.
Same insurance company also mentioned a large discount if I sign up with Rogers home security. I didnt even know they had a security division, but the alarm would cost me something like $100 the first year for monitoring after the discount and $180 the second. (25% 1st year, 20% 2nd year, 15% discount there after)

littledan
06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
the worst thing about being burgled is the lost sense of security and picturing the person in your space / vehicle.

my house was broken into twice when I was young. The first time i was around 8 or 9 and came home (latch key) and noticed the vcr was gone. thought it was pretty wierd. turned around and my dads's computer was gone... went upstairs to check on things and my parents room was just trashed. called my mom at her office and she immediately freaked out and yelled at me to get out of the house and run to the neighbours. turns out the criminals were either still in the house when I got home or left out the back as I was coming in the front. definitely traumed me a bit.

i definitely hate thieves and wish the justice system wasn't catch and release and blame the victims

g-m
06-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago. is there a sticker involved?

Disoblige
06-07-2016, 02:54 PM
speedog better go knock as much wood as he can, because that was such a huge jynx to himself lol

max_boost
06-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Insurance will take care of it and I hope you don't lose too much sleep over this. No one likes getting their home broken into. It's a sanctuary and any intrusion is a violation.

After my house got broken into, I got a new front door, added a steel outside door, re-activated my alarm, put up the signs etc. just meant as a deterrent for thieves. Too much work so they move along.

Gman.45
06-07-2016, 03:33 PM
IMO, having passive electronic surveillance is great - it'll record you being the victim of a crime, but does little to prevent it, and even less these days to help you receive any justice. As the officer said, most thieves are wearing gloves and covering their faces, so a video record is more about proving to the insurance company you actually WERE the victim of a b/e, and little else. And, if the worst should happen, an actual confrontation with someone in your home, especially if it's your wife or children home alone...

I think the best active defense you can have is a well trained dog, preferably of the type used in security, Belgian Sheps, and so forth. If I had a wife and children I wanted protected, even more than training them with other active defense tools, I would heavily weight a good dog over the above, for both practical and legal reasons in Canada.

The OP has made a very interesting and accurate observation - his stuff is easy to replace with insurance, but the peace of mind, and cumulative long term effect of his wife and family being afraid in their OWN home - there is no price on that. Having a furcoat razorblade trained to defend your family in your home = the best security system out there still.

Take what MaxBoost just said, then add snarling angry dog defending the people and home it loves - pretty much the best deterrent out there, and if deterrence doesn't work, lots of biting and tearing usually will.

Xtrema
06-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Gman.45
I think the best active defense you can have is a well trained dog, preferably of the type used in security, Belgian Sheps, and so forth. If I had a wife and children I wanted protected, even more than training them with other active defense tools, I would heavily weight a good dog over the above, for both practical and legal reasons in Canada.

The OP has made a very interesting and accurate observation - his stuff is easy to replace with insurance, but the peace of mind, and cumulative long term effect of his wife and family being afraid in their OWN home - there is no price on that. Having a furcoat razorblade trained to defend your family in your home = the best security system out there still.

Take what MaxBoost just said, then add snarling angry dog defending the people and home it loves - pretty much the best deterrent out there, and if deterrence doesn't work, lots of biting and tearing usually will.

Double edge sword if you train a dog as defense. And unless you keep it in the garage, it's pointless.

There is nothing you can do when someone want your shit when you are not home. You just have to make sure you have better deterrent system than your neighbor and thieves decide to go there instead.

Human nature is lazy. They will always go for least effort for most gain.

JC522
06-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Have this in my garage:

Can this camera survive in an unheated detached garage in winter? I've been looking for a camera for the garage but worried cold weather would make it lag

ZenOps
06-08-2016, 06:00 AM
Having a foot long strike plate goes a long way to help stop someone kicking in a door. The weak point of most doors is the tiny little bit of wood behind the lock.

Having a simple latch on a windowed screen door is also a huge deterrent as it usually requires breaking glass to get to the main door.

dirtsniffer
06-08-2016, 06:54 AM
If I move into a house with a detached garage I am installing a fob locking system. Maybe I'll put one on the house side as well.

g-m
06-08-2016, 08:18 AM
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/asian-girl-key-4412655.jpg

Wrinkly
06-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
speedog better go knock as much wood as he can, because that was such a huge jynx to himself lol

Funny that....I thought the very same thing lol :rofl:

Originally posted by littledan
the worst thing about being burgled is the lost sense of security and picturing the person in your space / vehicle.

So true! Apparently five thugs were roaming my house and it took a long time for me to even feel ok at home again. The worst things were family pictures trampled on, and the creepiest, was the fact they took some of my lingerie from the bedroom and scattered it all over the house.

You really don't understand the emotions involved until you experience it personally. Bad enough as an adult, I can't begin to imagine the impact for you as a child!

Now, over a year on I'm just very, very :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

phil98z24
06-08-2016, 09:43 PM

Actually there were several trips to the police station and several phone calls after I talked to you. This went on long after. I wasn't referring to our conversation at all, my frustrations were with the actual police officers we talked to but it doesn't matter anymore. :) They were also the ones that told me they wouldn't do anything even with a video. We even found out who it was and they wouldn't even go talk to them.

Yikes, didn't know about the rest of it! I'm sorry to hear that. PM me if you want, would like to hear about the rest of the story if you feel like filling me in.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2016, 07:01 AM

CLiVE
06-09-2016, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by JC522

Can this camera survive in an unheated detached garage in winter? I've been looking for a camera for the garage but worried cold weather would make it lag

I've had the same camera hanging outside for 2.5 years. Works fine, and haven't had any lag issues. :clap:

civic_stylez
06-09-2016, 08:54 AM
I picked these up on shop.ca. Its the Sentinel Defender Wifi system with a 1tb drive. I have them mounted in my garage and on the front of my house and its been an awesome setup. I have been fortunate to have no crime but it has come in handy when my neighbors car was hit by a contractors flat deck and the driver denied it. The night vision is solid and they have performed flawless in -30 and +30 weather. I dont solely rely on these for security but for under $400.00, its a nice piece of insurance for my property.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71oFsEjrnaL._SY355_.jpg

taemo
06-09-2016, 08:55 AM

last August I was on the phone with the police while watching the thief in our house, they apprehended the guy coming out of our house
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/712/20632866599_bfb42232b6_b.jpg

D'z Nutz
06-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by taemo

last August I was on the phone with the police while watching the thief in our house, they apprehended the guy coming out of our house

That's awesome! What did he have on him when they caught him? And what did you have that alerted you to watch the video while it was happening?

EK 2.0
06-09-2016, 09:19 AM

LOOK AT MY DAB!!...

taemo
06-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That's awesome! What did he have on him when they caught him? And what did you have that alerted you to watch the video while it was happening?

wifes watch, couple of jewelries and a bag full of change, saddest part is that he thought the cameras were recording on a computer so he put my tower, 2 laptops, a UPS and cameras in the tub
https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/656/20793331466_41074b7630_z.jpg
so 4000$ of damage for 300$ worth of stuff

I have 2 D-Link DL-932 cameras installed in our house that emails me for motion detection, it was around 9-10am when I received the emails so I quickly accessed the cameras through the dlink app on my iphone monitoring the guy while on the phone with the police.

88CRX
06-09-2016, 10:06 AM

And boom goes the dynamite.

Nice work nabbing him... shitty deal about the computers in the tub.

Mitsu3000gt
06-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Do you have to pay D-Link a monthly fee to record from those cameras, or how does that work? Does it just record locally and keep overwriting the footage?

I had a FOSCAM camera before but the interface was a nightmare. Contractors in my place broke it (on purpose) when they noticed it, so I need a new one and was looking at the D-Link ones.

nismodrifter
06-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Wow, good catch. Sucks about the computers in the tub part though.

taemo
06-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Do you have to pay D-Link a monthly fee to record from those cameras, or how does that work? Does it just record locally and keep overwriting the footage?

I had a FOSCAM camera before but the interface was a nightmare. Contractors in my place broke it (on purpose) when they noticed it, so I need a new one and was looking at the D-Link ones.

mydlink is free and can be accessed from a computer or phone app (I have both cameras linked to the same account), it only records when motion is detected then it can email you the pictures or videos via E-mail or FTP.

before, I had my computer setup with iSpy and dropbox to monitor my cameras (it could play an alarm sound when motion was detected, also upload on youtube) but found it to be more of a hassle

bigbadboss101
06-09-2016, 11:17 AM
We had Foscam. It was cool but for some reason is slowed our network down drastically. And viewing remotely on data eats up a lot.

Mitsu3000gt
06-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Cool - if those losers are going to come into my place again I will definitely look at picking up something from D-Link.

Looks like they record audio too which is good. Last time, after they destroyed my camera to the point it would only record audio, I caught the contractors talking about how to not do any work at all, and how to best make it look like they did the work (by taping stuff up, etc.) "he'll never know" haha. The very last thing I captured before it turned off was "good thing you found that camera man" "yeah I know, we'd be so screwed!"

phil98z24
06-09-2016, 11:10 PM
I use d-link cams as well, and for a consumer grade product, they work really well. I will advise if you do use them, set them up using a local connection with the more advanced software, and then use the apps for monitoring. I've found them to be really good and no false alarms yet, even with pets. I also set mine up with geo fenced IFTTT activated plugs so they are only on when me and my wife are out of the house so they don't eat up SD card space with the audio and video motion recordings.

SJW
06-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I have these on the outside of my house https://www.amazon.ca/IdeaNext-1920x1080P-Surveillance-Detection-IP66-Waterproof/dp/B015R06XOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1465572553&sr=8-3&keywords=ideanext

1080p for cheap and they work great. They email me on motion.

Nufy
06-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by SJW
I have these on the outside of my house https://www.amazon.ca/IdeaNext-1920x1080P-Surveillance-Detection-IP66-Waterproof/dp/B015R06XOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1465572553&sr=8-3&keywords=ideanext

1080p for cheap and they work great. They email me on motion.

Battery Powered ?