PDA

View Full Version : Metal Roof?

mix123
06-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Same old story. Need new shingles. Started looking into doing a Standing Seam roof. Anyone on here have any experience with metal vs shingles on their house? Looking for some insight.

TomcoPDR
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Positives are durability, low maintenance

Negatives are cost (way more, based on getting quotes for both methods metal vs. shingles), I hear they're more noisy (rain/hail)

bjstare
06-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Positives are durability, low maintenance

Negatives are cost (way more, based on getting quotes for both methods metal vs. shingles), I hear they're more noisy (rain/hail)

My parents have it on their house, and can confirm all of these points are correct. No maintenance, very durable, very expensive, and definitely noisy.

I like the noise, personally. Reminds me of the sound of rain when we were camping in the trailer as a kid haha.

Sugarphreak
06-08-2016, 07:44 AM

mix123
06-08-2016, 09:14 AM
To be honest I like the look. Our house has a few dormers and I think it would look really good.

Just looking to get a few quotes here. We'll see how crazy they are compared to shingles.

Thaco
06-08-2016, 09:46 AM
i think your biggest consideration would be how long you intend to stay in your current house... assuming your roof is done right it should last like 15+years... also assuming the cost of metal is twice that of a regular roof, you'd have to stay there for 30+ years for it to pay for its self (and on the same hand if insurance will pay for a new roof, then it costs you "nothing").. and if you do sell, depends on the potential buyers if they think its a positive/negative/indifferent.