PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio manager (Investment advisor) recommendations

DJ_NAV
06-08-2016, 07:31 PM
My family is in search of a portfolio manager for a decent size investment portfolio. So far we have self managed the portfolio but it is becoming time consuming and performance is a bit volatile. Reaching out to beyond and seeing if you guys recommend any particular firm? Not interested investors group or other mutual fund sales type firm. I have heard decent things about CIBC Wood Gundy and National Bank of Canada. Any other tips to help us decide would be appreciated as well.

The_Rural_Juror
06-08-2016, 08:23 PM
I like Mawer.

Paul
06-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Sent you a PM

91_Integz
06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Sent you a PM

sabad66
06-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Just follow every tip on the 'Official Short Term Investments' thread :poosie:

Marsh
06-09-2016, 07:36 PM
All the big banks have Investment Advisory services and more select High net worth client advisory (guessing you would fall in here.) Although it varies, for the HNW services i think you need to have $1mm in investable assets. So whoever you do your banking with now (TD, RBC etc.) might be worth checking out there first.

Independent groups as mentioned above (Mawer, Jarislowsky Fraser, etc.) are pretty good too, although they usually have similar minimums to invest (500k-1mm).

Key thing is to compare fees and the structure of the fee base (flat fee, incentive fee etc). Also ask for investment performance as well, they should all be able to provide info about their returns. Most of the independent firms usually post their returns on their website anyways.

Hopefully that should help, good luck

blownz
06-10-2016, 01:47 PM
The black bank card and visa you get with RBC Private Banking is :bigpimp: if you qualify. I think it is $3M of investments... I have to check though, I only know one person with it. But when he pulls out either card people are always impressed.

The regular investment advising with RBC Dominion Securities is pretty good too and you only need $500K of investments. They have several options like flat fee and pay for service.

I know someone with CIBC Wood Gundy as well and they are happy with them too.

bjstare
06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
My dad's got a portion of his portfolio with the high net worth TD people, and he's really unhappy with them; they haven't done anything recently, and haven't even been able to keep up wiht/beat the index performance. Depending on how they answer his questions in their meeting next week, he's considering pulling it from them and putting it with one of the other firms he's got investments with. -1 for TD.

Edit: I should come in with a recommendation as well. Richardson GMP handles a portion of his portfolio, and I've got some money with them as well. Definitely happy with them.

DJ_NAV
06-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the all the advice. I am meeting with Richardson GMP next week and let's see how that goes - as far as I know their minimum is $100k.

2000Accord
06-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I interviewed for advisers last year when I was looking. PM me if you would like for me to send you the list of questions...or we can discuss over the phone if you wish.

samo147
06-12-2016, 12:02 AM
I like Mawer as well

M.alex
06-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Mawer gets my vote as well

CLiVE
06-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by blownz
The black bank card and visa you get with RBC Private Banking is :bigpimp: if you qualify. I think it is $3M of investments... I have to check though, I only know one person with it. But when he pulls out either card people are always impressed.

Only $1M of investments, or net worth of $3M. :thumbsup:

blownz
06-20-2016, 01:32 PM
^ That is great, I will qualify for one much sooner then lol

DJ_NAV
06-21-2016, 01:44 PM
The guys above who recommend Mawer, can you guys PM me your advisor's name and contact info. Also, let me know if there are any referral sign up bonuses as well (if applicable).