PDA

View Full Version : Review: iShield Glass (Screen Protector)

Christian@IE
06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
When I purchased my latest phone some 6 months ago at Telephone Booth, the sales associate tried to convince me to buy a $35 screen protector. I was a hesitant since I used to buy them from eBay or Winners for <$10.

This one is different, he had said. It's a "revolution in screen protection" is how he put it. What's more, he continued, is they guaranteed that if I bought it and let them apply it, they guaranteed my phone against screen breakage. I can usually tell a good sales pitch from the real deal but this guy didn't come off like Vince from Slap Chop, he actually seemed convince that this was the greatest thing ever.

Considering that I went through 3 screens on my last iPhone, I didn't feel I had much to lose for my $35 investment.

Before I get to the pictures, I'll tell you the pitch behind these things. Instead of being manufactured from plastic, like most run-of-the-mill screen protectors, the iShield is made from tempered glass so when the phone receives an impact, the iShield absorbs the shock instead of the screen. So does it work?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/20160611_094846_zpscjjfrihz.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/cabriochico/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/20160611_094745_zpsu2w3z3jm.jpg

My phone takes quite a bit of abuse so after at least 4 solid drops and what appeared to me without a doubt to be a shattered screen, I returned to TBooth doubtful that they would actually honour the guarantee. He takes an exacto knife and slowly begins to pry the screen protector off my phone revealing a flawless virgin screen below. Needless to say, I couldn't give him another $35 fast enough for a new iShield.

Props to Armin @ TBooth Market Mall. He didn't even flinch when I brought in my "shattered" phone. At no point did he even ask for any details about the purchase or a receipt to look it up. He just got down to work and had a new one installed in a couple of minutes. Being in retail myself, I can appreciate no-nonsense service. Just in-and-out in minutes with no questions asked. I returned a few days later to ask the Croatian Sensation about a few different plan options and he was very well versed in all the different carrier offerings. Armin, TBooth, and iShield all get my seal of approval!

http://www.pd4pic.com/images/seal-lumen-red-icon-stamp-outline-symbol.png

Hero_X
06-11-2016, 12:39 PM
I had a glass screen protector on my S5. One day I had mistakenly put my phone in the same pocket as my keys, and later in the day I realized the screen had been damaged by the keys. I thought I'd have to get a new screen for the phone.

Then I remembered that I had the screen protector on it so I thought I'd try removing it to see the damage below. The screen was in pristine condition!

I'm sold on glass screen protectors and I always get them for any new phone I purchase.

That being said, what you get from local shops is pretty expensive. Ebay has them for much much cheaper. May not be the same brand, but they're practically the same quality.

:thumbsup:

dj_rice
06-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X
I had a glass screen protector on my S5. One day I had mistakenly put my phone in the same pocket as my keys, and later in the day I realized the screen had been damaged by the keys. I thought I'd have to get a new screen for the phone.

Then I remembered that I had the screen protector on it so I thought I'd try removing it to see the damage below. The screen was in pristine condition!

I'm sold on glass screen protectors and I always get them for any new phone I purchase.

That being said, what you get from local shops is pretty expensive. Ebay has them for much much cheaper. May not be the same brand, but they're practically the same quality.

:thumbsup:

True that. Tempered glass screen protectors are the shit. $5-8 shipped from Ebay China. But whenever I install, no matter how careful I am, I always manage to find a hair imperfection underneath after. Damn it:banghead:

D'z Nutz
06-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Yeah I've been sold on the tempered glass protectors for a while and put them on everything now, even my camera LCDs. Not just for the protection, but it stays glossy and feels better than the crappy plastic screen protectors that fade over time.

Kobe
06-12-2016, 07:17 PM
A++++++++ X 1000 for them.

I've purchased them for my phones online and my parents phones.. around $5 shipped online from ebay I have a few for each phone.

Highly recommended.. they are expensive here, and work well, we tried 2 drill a hole in 1 of them to see if possible, no luck :D They are super strong..