PDA

View Full Version : Cooper S or 5th Gen Prelude

Nizmo_GTR
03-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Just a question,

Which car do you think will be faster on 1/4 mile?

crazydriver
03-17-2004, 11:57 PM
hmm good question.... for sum reason i think the Cooper S.. but i seriously have no clue.. anyone else wanna take a stab at it???

A2VR6
03-18-2004, 12:07 AM
I think it would be close, but I think the Prelude would win. From what i've seen the preludes run mid 15's on average while the cooper S runs high 15's.

Ducati
03-18-2004, 12:38 AM
If I were to buy one I would choose the Honda.
Why? Because I have found "Consumer Reports" to be quite prophetic most of the time. The concensus with those magazines is that the Mini Cooper S, while cute and a blast to drive, will not stand up to the tests of time as well as the proven Honda.

Which one would I Lease? Hmmm...Which one has the highest residual rate? Thats more a matter of shopping the lease companies. The Cooper IS interesting.

MM99lude
03-18-2004, 01:21 AM
i would say a 5 gen would win (favouring a little) but even with a lot more weight it would take a cooper s, i think the cooper runs a little higher 1/4 mile time then the lude!

AquamosH
03-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Ducati
If I were to buy one I would choose the Honda.
Why? Because I have found "Consumer Reports" to be quite prophetic most of the time. The concensus with those magazines is that the Mini Cooper S, while cute and a blast to drive, will not stand up to the tests of time as well as the proven Honda.

Which one would I Lease? Hmmm...Which one has the highest residual rate? Thats more a matter of shopping the lease companies. The Cooper IS interesting.

So...which one would win in a 1/4? :dunno:

I would choose the 'lude, unless the Mini's fitted with a John Cooper "The Works" package. :burnout:

core_upt
03-18-2004, 01:29 AM
interesting, i thought the Cooper S would be faster, less HP, but MUCH lighter. who knows, I'm sure someone will look it up, but it ain't gonna be me!

I've heard the debate both ways as to which is quicker, the 5th gen (non-SH, 5spd) or the 4th gen SR-V? Any input? (Sorry for jacking the thread!!!)

MM99lude
03-18-2004, 01:47 AM
i've actually read from a different forum that a 4th gen SRV will beat a 5th gen non SH.. lighter by a few hundred pounds i think

CLiVE
03-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Not sure, the prelude just might take it.

Anyone with a prelude care to find out???

C4S
03-18-2004, 04:34 PM
It will be very very close ! :D

but .. why ? people buy Cooper S is not for it's 1/4 mile time ....

is for getting the best looking in&out compact car in the market ! oh ... also the best driving compact car too !

Can't wait for the Cooper Convertialbe ! but .. long waiting list ... and can't even get ' A PENNY ' off .. :(

rc2002
03-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE
Not sure, the prelude just might take it.

Anyone with a prelude care to find out???

*raises hand* :D

1-Bar
03-18-2004, 05:47 PM
lol.....Richard, I think they're looking for a stock lude, not a JRSC one....

MM99lude
03-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
lol.....Richard, I think they're looking for a stock lude, not a JRSC one....

hah ya that would be uhh, just a bit unfair:nut:

CKY
03-18-2004, 11:33 PM
i'd choose the lude on 1/4 but the best thing about the cooper isnt straightaways, its the handling and cornering abilities along with that which makes the car so awesome. yes i'm carried off topic so ya the lude

buh_buh
03-18-2004, 11:46 PM
I think a more fair race would be a turbo lude vs. supercharged lude:D

1-Bar
03-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I think a more fair race would be a turbo lude vs. supercharged lude:D

You should race Richard's car then and settle it for now I guess....Until my Auto-Turbo comes around....lol

CLiVE
03-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by CKY
i'd choose the lude on 1/4 but the best thing about the cooper isnt straightaways, its the handling and cornering abilities along with that which makes the car so awesome. yes i'm carried off topic so ya the lude

exactly, I didn't buy my Cooper S for the 1/4 time. Actually never really planned on running it in the 1/4.

C4S
03-19-2004, 11:38 AM
If just look at the topic " Cooper S or Prelude " then no doubt, everyone will vote for the Cooper S ... they are not even in the same Class .. :D ( Loaded Prelude SE with leather etc .. $28K new, Cooper S loaded, will be near $40K ! )

But, they both good car, Prelude is a nice car as a japanese.

If ask which is quciker in 1/4 then most likely the lude, depends who drives it, and if ask which is a bigger car, then the lude too ...

but which is "better" car ? ha ha .. no need to ask !;)

Ducati
03-20-2004, 03:50 PM
I was dissapointed to read the Consumer Reports and Lemon Aid reports on the Mini and Cooper S.
Those guides have always been very good predictors of future trouble, as I have observed with 20 years of reading them.

This is too bad, as I had been looking very favourably at the Mini as a replacement for my girlfriends aging domestic. I liked what I read in the specs and introductory reports in the various car magazines. However, I will monitor their durability over the next few years.
The Honda has already eminemtly proven its' durability.

Hmmm...now what about the Scion xB that is due out this summer? Hmmm. That would make a nice chick's car that I would not be embarassed to be seen in - and it is basically a Toyota.

buh_buh
03-21-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

You should race Richard's car then and settle it for now I guess.... haha I'd actually like to see who is faster too.