PDA

View Full Version : Weed or different kind of grass?

FraserB
06-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Have a bunch of this stuff in my lawn now, not sure what it is exactly.

If it is a weed, what's the best way to get rid of it?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/IMG_20160612_163434_zpsq7fhezje.jpg

03ozwhip
06-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the start of White or Dutch Clover, in which case here is some info...I've had it and it's a pain in the dick to get rid of.

White or Dutch clover used to be a common ingredient in lawn seed blends. These days, this perennial weed is regarded as a bad guy in most lawns. It tends to grow where soil is poor and low in nitrogen. Hand dig small patches, and apply fertilizer to those areas. Many times, bringing up soil fertility can help eradicate white clover. Apply a broadleaf herbicide according to label instructions. You’ll typically need to make several seasonal applications in both spring and fall to eradicate this weed.

ExtraSlow
06-12-2016, 08:16 PM
If it's those types of clover, yeah, a broadleaf herbicide will kill it, but if it's another type of grass, then you are pretty screwed.

FixedGear
06-12-2016, 08:39 PM
It's impossible to identify from that photo, can you post a close up of the actual plant?

FraserB
06-12-2016, 09:12 PM
This is what it all looks like.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/IMG_20160612_210057_zpsfw5lzhjl.jpg

Kinda looks like fescue?

FixedGear
06-12-2016, 09:59 PM
I can't id the species from the picture but it's definitely a grass.

FixedGear
06-12-2016, 10:03 PM
It might be Kentucky bluegrass, which is a typical lawn grass. See if you can find an uncut blade, and see if the tip is shaped like a canoe. Here's a photo of Kentucky bluegrass seed head:

http://www.landmarkturfandnativeseed.com/bin/146.JPG

03ozwhip
06-12-2016, 10:06 PM
^ya that's what it is. I had that as well. Pisses me off that it grows like that but I'm not sure you can do anything about it.

FixedGear
06-12-2016, 10:14 PM
I don't know anything about lawn care, but I'd Google for "Kentucky bluegrass going to seed" and see what you find. You might be able to prevent that by fertilizing or adjusting pH or something

ZenOps
06-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Beggars can't be choosers. There are only so many types of grass that will survive in this hardiness zone. It just might need a little water. Some grasses go yellow quicker than others.

What you don't want are the grasses that grow to three feet before they seed, as those typically have bamboo like stalks which when dry can be nasty underfoot.

Usually nature knows what will work, grass seed mixes are usually diverse, and the one that wants to survive will dominate naturally. Fight it, and you might not get any grass at all (dandelions could replace any attempt to get rid of a dominant grass) As long as the leaves are nice and soft, that's usually good enough for me.

Clover is a legume, a nitrogen fixer - meaning it actually enriches the soil instead of taking nutrients away. If you are an environmentalist, you should be ripping out your nutrient sucking grass and planting clover.

FraserB
06-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys, looks like it's stressed and is producing seed heads as a result. Going to set up a regular watering schedule and cut a bit lower to see if that helps.

bigbadboss101
06-13-2016, 07:08 AM
That is what we have! First time we noticed it. Just happened we started using a certain lawn care's service. Not sure if their fertilizer encourage such growth!?
Also there are a LOT of crane flies.

FraserB
06-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
That is what we have! First time we noticed it. Just happened we started using a certain lawn care's service. Not sure if their fertilizer encourage such growth!?
Also there are a LOT of crane flies.

I'm going to see if being a bit more diligent in my lawn care solves it. If it doesn't, I might give Shane a call and see what they can do.