PDA

View Full Version : New truck purchase question.

Clever
06-12-2016, 07:05 PM
So my wife and I was at the dealer on Saturday to buy a 2016 Dodge Ram, after speaking to a sales person we decided to test drive one of the trucks on the lot. Everything checked out and we then decided on the price and down payment and so on and then spoke to the financing person. She informed us that we needed paystubs to confirm our income, since we didn't have that available we said we'd return on Monday. On our way out I meant to ask the salesman for the info sheet on the truck but completely forgot about it. I called him right away and asked him to take a picture of it and to text it to me, he said he was going to grab it and call me back. After 10 minutes he called and said that the truck is in detailing and he could not find the info sheet but said to look on the website for the info. I didn't even think twice about it until the wife and I started looking on their website.

So the first thing we noticed while looking online was that there were other trucks in their inventory that was priced the same as the one we looked at, but with a better trim, we are buying the SXT but the price they told us for it was the same as how much they are selling the SLT's with the same features for. Also, the website states that there was a $7500 discount on select trucks, we were only given a $6000 discount. I found it weird that the info sheet was unavailable all of a sudden because I know the price for the truck we were looking at was on it. I'm definitely going to bring up the price of the trucks when I go back tomorrow. We did put a down payment on the truck, I'm assuming I can transfer that to another truck without issues or am I mistaken?

cyra1ax
06-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Stupid question-the prices that you saw on the website, are they with taxes included?
Without doing the necessary clicking, the $7500 discount is on "SELECT" trucks(ie: the more expensive models, probably the longhorn edition or SLT model), so the fact they gave you $6000 makes sense. Again, I'm saying this without doing the necessary research.

As long as you didn't sign a purchase order you should be okay, but it sounds like you already did that since they have your truck in PPI & detailing/prep.

Next time, do yourself a favour and look for the truck that you want in Unhaggle, and work from there. Tons of Dodge dealers out there to deal with and get the price/truck that you want.

Darell_n
06-12-2016, 10:09 PM
It may be a combined discount totalling $7500 of which you didn't qualify for a portion of. When I had bought mine the total discount was about the same but for being in a registered trade, plus living in Cochrane, plus previously owning a Dodge Ram. (this was the promotions in Cochrane Fall of 2014)

Clever
06-12-2016, 10:29 PM
The only thing I signed was a sheet that gave me the price of the vehicle and the financing term i was choosing, in this case, $49K (base price of the vehicle, not including the down payment and the discount) and the 84 month 0% financing, it also said the stock number of the vehicle. I was asked to initial the financing term I wanted sign it.

When we looked online to see see the specs of the truck we are purchasing, we came across several trucks in the SLT trim that was priced the same. So if we are being quoted the same price for the SXT, I figured why not get the SLT?

Being a bit old school, I'm assuming we're singing all the documents including purchase documents tomorrow, I'm quite familiar with contracts so I know what I signed was not the purchase order, then again it's been awhile since I we bought a vehicle from the dealer and I might be mistaken.

Definitely looking into Unhaggle, never heard of it before, but we're possibly looking at a few more vehicle purchases and I will definitely use that. Thanks.

Clever
06-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
It may be a combined discount totalling $7500 of which you didn't qualify for a portion of. When I had bought mine the total discount was about the same but for being in a registered trade, plus living in Cochrane, plus previously owning a Dodge Ram. (this was the promotions in Cochrane Fall of 2014)

That could be it with regards to the discount, I wouldn't have known about it until we went to their website. so that didn't bother me as much, just last month, they were discounting 10K so I am quite aware that the promotions change all the time. If anything, I hope I can buy the SLT over the SXT, again I don't see this being a problem but who knows, there is way too much dealership horror stories our there.

ShermanEF9
06-12-2016, 10:38 PM
theres also a good chance the SLT won't get the 0%. i know when i bought my ford i could not get the 0% because it was a king ranch (believe 0% was offered only on XLTs and below.)

Aleks
06-13-2016, 07:47 AM
All the trim levels have the same $7,500 discount from Ram.

There are guys on this site that have got 15-17k off on their Rams. The truck is not rare, new model is on the way, there is no reason why you shouldn't be getting much more off especially since there are a lot of dealers in the area.

Here's someone who bought an SXT trim on RFD, 15k off...

http://i.imgur.com/Kqko5ky.jpg

Also going from SXT to SLT in my opinion would be worth it for the upgrade to the transmission alone from 6 to 8 speed.

Here's a list of incentives for June: (post 1129)

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-chrysler-dodge-jeep-questions-answers-897070/76/

Some highlights:
Chart #1: The Power of 0%

Ram
Promaster City-----------------Up to 36 months
Promaster----------------------Up to 36 months
1500 Reg Cab------------------Up to 36 months
1500 Gas/Diesel----------------UP to 84 months
2500/3500-----------------------Up to 84 months
Ram Cab&Chassis---------------Up to 84 months

Chart# 2: Consumer Cash- 2016 Models- Before Tax Incentives

Ram
Ram Promaster City-----------------------$4000
Ram Promaster ---------------------------$5000
Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x2,4x4---------------$5500
Ram 1500 ST/SXT GAS--------------------$7500
Ram 1500 ST/SXT Diesel------------------$7500
Ram 1500 Hemi (excluding ST/SXT)------$7500
Ram 1500 non-Hemi(excluding ST/SXT)--$7500
Ram 1500 Diesel---------------------------$7500
Ram 2500/3500 Diesel---------------------$9345 No Charge Diesel
Ram 2500/3500 Gas------------------------$7000

Darell_n
06-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Absolutely under no circumstances, buy the 6-speed. It's the same transmission from a 1999 Jeep and has no business existing any longer.

Redlyne_mr2
06-13-2016, 10:37 AM
If your deal doesn't pan out we own a Dodge store, I can refer to a no BS sales manager to help you get your deal. It's in Lacombe.

Clever
06-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
If your deal doesn't pan out we own a Dodge store, I can refer to a no BS sales manager to help you get your deal. It's in Lacombe.

At this point can I even back out without losing the down payment? If so, I would like to speak to your guy in Lacombe.

civicHB
06-13-2016, 10:58 AM
how much was your downpayment?

Redlyne_mr2
06-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Clever

At this point can I even back out without losing the down payment? If so, I would like to speak to your guy in Lacombe.
Have you signed finance contracts? Do they have your void cheque etc? Do you have the truck? If you answered no to any of these questions then you can back out anytime. They cannot hold your deposit unless they've spent money on things like undercoating, accessories, etc.

KPHMPH
06-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Have you signed finance contracts? Do they have your void cheque etc? Do you have the truck? If you answered no to any of these questions then you can back out anytime. They cannot hold your deposit unless they've spent money on things like undercoating, accessories, etc.

This is a lie, you can back out EVEN if the dealership has spent money on undercoating / protection packages / etc.

Just bring up "Okay, you won't give me my deposit back? Lets give AMVIC a call and see what they have to say about this".... that should be enough motivation to get your money back.

bjstare
06-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by KPHMPH

This is a lie, you can back out EVEN if the dealership has spent money on undercoating / protection packages / etc.

Just bring up "Okay, you won't give me my deposit back? Lets give AMVIC a call and see what they have to say about this".... that should be enough motivation to get your money back.

Seriously?

Every thread I've read on beyond that involves AMVIC has indicated that they don't do shit :dunno:

KPHMPH
06-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Well last week a customer backed out of a deal and they had put a boxliner in.... We still had to give back his $500 because he was threatening AMVIC.

Just going on personal experience.

Clever
06-13-2016, 09:57 PM
So we decided to not go ahead with the purchase, however our down payment/deposit is still with the dealership I'll try to get it back tomorrow. Also, as it turns out, the SLT's they had on their website are quad and not a crew cab, but they have them listed as crew cabs hence the confusion. Going to look around some more now that I'm more informed.

What really bothers me today was I received a random text from a guy from Gallery of Fine Cars, I've never been to their website, or set foot at their dealership and this guy addressed me by my real name, I go by a nickname and said his finance manager looked at my application and I was pre-approved for a vehicle. His explanation when asked how they have my info was, I must have submitted an online application, and this never happened. Any ideas how they got my info?

redblack
06-13-2016, 10:40 PM
Have you tried airdrie dodge?

InRich
06-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Dude. when i was looking for trucks. I could have easily gotten a full loaded RAM Sport quad for 42k. kinda sounds like your not a very good negotiator.

Clever
06-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Dude. when i was looking for trucks. I could have easily gotten a full loaded RAM Sport quad for 42k. kinda sounds like your not a very good negotiator.

I can honestly say that my negotiating skills are not up to par. I have never been in a situation where I didn't think I was getting what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay for, until now. Lesson learned.

Answer is NO, however, when I asked if the money was refundable, the answer from the sales manager was, "If we CAN'T get you the financing, we'll refund you the money". That alone should've been a red flag, I have no excuse.

Originally posted by KPHMPH
Well last week a customer backed out of a deal and they had put a boxliner in.... We still had to give back his $500 because he was threatening AMVIC.

Just going on personal experience.

AMVIC does not investigate matters regarding deposits according to their website however, it does say they can investigate, extra fees. In our case, we found out today that our base price was marked up, it was selling on their website for $47K, but they wanted to charge us $49K and the explanation given was that they added the freight and PDI or levy or something along those lines. They also added an accessory package to the price and apparently it was for the nitrogen filled tires and rear mudflaps, mats and some other things as well. So I will definitely raise those points with them, if they do not give me my money back, but hopefully I would not need to resort to filing a complaint with AMVIC.

Rocket1k78
06-15-2016, 09:41 AM

Answer is NO, however, when I asked if the money was refundable, the answer from the sales manager was, "If we CAN'T get you the financing, we'll refund you the money". That alone should've been a red flag, I have no excuse.

Red flag for what? You agreed to purchase a truck, put down a deposit on it and now you're trying to imply they're the bad guys because they'll only refund you the money if you dont get approved

AMVIC does not investigate matters regarding deposits according to their website however, it does say they can investigate, extra fees. In our case, we found out today that our base price was marked up, it was selling on their website for $47K, but they wanted to charge us $49K and the explanation given was that they added the freight and PDI or levy or something along those lines. They also added an accessory package to the price and apparently it was for the nitrogen filled tires and rear mudflaps, mats and some other things as well. So I will definitely raise those points with them, if they do not give me my money back, but hopefully I would not need to resort to filing a complaint with AMVIC.

You really need a new username lol
I'd bet 99% of dealers add on freight, PDI and even doc fee's afterwards. $2000 for freight, pdi and other accessories sounds pretty reasonable. They way you word your posts really makes the dealer sound shady but to me it sounds like you're the one not being totally fair.

I wish there was a site where companies can post shitty experiences with customers to warn other companies. :D

npham
06-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Red flag for what? You agreed to purchase a truck, put down a deposit on it and now you're trying to imply they're the bad guys because they'll only refund you the money if you dont get approved

I'd bet 99% of dealers add on freight, PDI and even doc fee's afterwards. $2000 for freight, pdi and other accessories sounds pretty reasonable. They way you word your posts really makes the dealer sound shady but to me it sounds like you're the one not being totally fair.

I wish there was a site where companies can post shitty experiences with customers to warn other companies. :D

We found the guy who is losing out on a sale!

Clever
06-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

http://www.amvic.org/consumer/the-buying-process/all-inpricingisthelaw/

With regards to the Red Flag comment, I should clarify, the Red Flag was for me, maybe I should've stopped right at that time and re-evaluated the purchase better, but I had every intention of buying the truck hence the down payment. If not for the inconsistencies we encountered when we left the dealership, I wouldn't have even second guessed the purchase.

Also, most of the people we have dealt with have been great. My salesperson is truly a great guy and most of our concerns, as far as we know he had no control over. My intention when I stated this thread was to get clarification, not to make a dealership look shady, they are in the business to make money, and I can respect that.

G-ZUS
06-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by InRich
kinda sounds like your not a very good negotiator.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/371400/girlfriend-wants-to-buy-a-new-ford-escape-who-wants-to-make-a-deal/