PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Cost of an old Benz Ideas

Neil4Speed
06-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,

Wondering if I could get some input. The car that got me into cars was a 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL (Not 6.9). My father bought it in 1985 and sold it around 2004. It was the car that I was brought home in the hospital in, and learned to drive on - just a special car overall.

I've always lusted over having a classic car (preference being to an old benz) so I cruise kijiji often looking for something. Sure enough, I come across the same car!

Sadly, the car has had better days. It was well taken care of when my dad had it, but the Edmonton winters really destroyed the condition.

This is what the car looks like in great condition

http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/6/4/4/0/6/3/Mercedes-Benz-450-SEL-6-9-729x486-dc019749dce6f46c.jpg

Obviously there is some sentimentality, and it is something special to me in that it was our family car for so long - but I just want an idea of what I would be getting into if I did purchase it.

Obvious things I see are rust on almost all the panels, and clear coat loss on the hood. I have no idea how much replacement of panels costs/paint jobs, and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas from prior experiences?
https://picoolio.net/images/2016/06/15/2016-06-1414.53.42-130a0b.jpg
https://picoolio.net/images/2016/06/15/2016-06-1414.54.01-171e14.jpg
https://picoolio.net/images/2016/06/15/2016-06-1414.54.10-111fef.jpg
https://picoolio.net/images/2016/06/15/2016-06-1414.54.523fba5.jpg
https://picoolio.net/images/2016/06/15/2016-06-1414.55.26-1f0038.jpg

Rabb
06-15-2016, 08:26 AM
try looking in Japan.

most likely are not rusted out, with the cost of importing and buying it. it might be cheaper than restoring a Canadian model. Plus you get the euro bumpers from an import instead of those ugly ass USDM bumpers.

I am huge fan of benzs. I want a mint W124 500E.

CLiVE
06-15-2016, 08:32 AM
I restored a 1975 280. Found it quite easy to work on (other than the dual timing chains). Parts were easy to find online (ebay, mercedes classics center (new OEM), etc. Parts were not always cheap however.
Wish I kept that car...

zhao
06-15-2016, 07:15 PM
sell it and buy one that isn't in terrible shape if u have to have one of those things, but know that these cars are absolutely worthless here, and that one in decent shape can actually cost a fair bit overseas. There is one that has been for sale forever in japan and it's over 20g to canada. A cheap one there would still be over 7-8g and would be miles better than what you have there.

This is a very niche market car that basically only you will ever love, and a tiny handful of other people. It is also almost impossible to make that vehicle show car worthy, because your interior is probably just as trashed as the outside, and that is not something that is easy to fix.

By comparison the body would be an easy fix, all you need to do is throw 25g at it and it'll get done. Painting that entire car by a shop worth spending money on will cost 8g plus, on top of fixing the metal. You also will not find a good shop that will want to touch that car, because they know it's a bad idea to spend any money on that thing, and that anyone willing to do so is likely nuts and will be a nightmare to deal with probably because they have unreasonable expectations.

Whatever you think is wrong with that car, multiply it too. I can see it needs fenders, rockers, quarters, and probably 4 doors. Now mercedes may still sell bodypanels for that thing (most german manufacturers go way back for what they still make. I know if u want panels for any bmw you can get them), but right there you're looking at potentially 10g in metal + another 5g+ in install + the 8g in paint. also bank on another 5g-10g-infinti for surprises when you find out your inner wheel house is rotted through, and your floor is done, and possibly worse.

So 25g and you've started restoring it. You have mechanical and interior left... and when you're done someone might offer you 5g for it if it is low km. You'd really need to find the right guy to get more than that, and that'd take forever.

soloracer
06-15-2016, 07:40 PM
I think you guys miss the point, he wants to restore his dad's old car. Not someone else's old Mercedes. I know how he feels. I own my fathers 1953 Kaiser Fraser Manhattan. Not exactly a future collectable. But my dad and his brother, now deceased, both worked on the car to get it where it is today. Could I buy one in better shape? Definitely. But it wouldn't be my dad's car. So I will keep it, restore it and drive it. And when the time is right, pass it on to the next generation

Neil4Speed
06-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.

Surprisingly the value on the regular 450's in good condition has been increasing of late. It seems to be a trend in the prior generation as well in these "ordinary sedans", not only the very much in demand convertibles and coupes. Rabb, Japanese prices for them is very high for what you are getting - they are rare out there.

Zhao, I appreciate you going into the specifics of the costs of panels etc. That was what I was looking for in lots of ways. I have no ideas how much a paint job costs or a panel repair. As Its not going to be collectible as it was once in this condition, I would be really looking for a "mid-level" restoration. I would think that the best option would be find a donor car.

Soloracer, you hit the nail on the head, its the idea of restoring my fathers old car. Its quite crazy to find the identical vehicle 12 years after the original sale. How did you end up keeping your Kaiser (passed down?). It might not be logical, but I think the illogical decisions we make make life exciting on some level (its finding that balance).

I'll try to find some old photos and post them up.

soloracer
06-15-2016, 09:11 PM
My dad gave it to me for xmas one year. He knew he wouldn't be able to move forward with it and hoped I would. My first sports car was a 1987 Firebird Formula. Yellow with a grey interior. Automatic 305. T-Roofs. I loved that car growing up. Went to bush parties, had girls hanging out the t-roof driving in the small towns around where I lived. First car I had that would do more than 200 km/h. I still remember how the car smelled. Every once in a while I find myself looking on kijiji or autotrader for one. Can't quite pull the trigger as by today's standards you can get so much more for the same money. But if my old car ever popped up........I would have to see if the spare keys I have in a box would still work

SKR
06-15-2016, 11:14 PM
I say do it. Even though it's a terrible idea you won't be happy if you don't. I would do it if it was me.

carson blocks
06-15-2016, 11:42 PM
You can't put a price on nostalgia, but be aware a car like that will cost 2-3x your worst case estimate to properly restore. My advice is if the car is important to you, don't start the project until you have the time, space, and twice the funds you think you'll need set aside or it will get taken apart and never put back together.

sputnik
06-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Surprisingly the value on the regular 450's in good condition has been increasing of late. It seems to be a trend in the prior generation as well in these "ordinary sedans", not only the very much in demand convertibles and coupes. Rabb, Japanese prices for them is very high for what you are getting - they are rare out there.

They are somewhat rare but there are quite a few 6.9s in the US that are still selling for decent prices.

Here is a 1977 450 SEL 6.9 that sold a few months ago for $15k USD.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mercedes-benz-450sel-6-9/

You have to be reasonable. Is it really worth dropping 30-40k into a car that might be worth $15-20k when all is said and done? Is The additional $15-20k (or more) worth it in terms of sentimentality?

Neil4Speed
06-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

They are somewhat rare but there are quite a few 6.9s in the US that are still selling for decent prices.

Here is a 1977 450 SEL 6.9 that sold a few months ago for $15k USD.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mercedes-benz-450sel-6-9/

You have to be reasonable. Is it really worth dropping 30-40k into a car that might be worth $15-20k when all is said and done? Is The additional $15-20k (or more) worth it in terms of sentimentality?

This has convinced me, I didn't know you could get them at that price. Your right, I'd rather have that car in the same color and model (but way better being a 6.9) in far better condition.

I'm sure my dad would be happier about this too (he is a bit confused as to why I'm even considering this lol)

Thanks everyone for their feedback, really appreciate it.

darthVWader
06-16-2016, 12:51 PM
I would buy it, do some cosmetic body work and a cheap paint job. Get some decent seat covers and some elbow grease on the interior. Full tune-up and drive it as a daily until it won't go no more. Once it dies take off the front grill and hang it the wall.