PDA

View Full Version : making sub boxes

Drsuce
03-17-2004, 10:47 PM
how hard is it to make a good quality sub box. visions cant do the install i wanted, and they are jerking me around. they said $300 for the install, no if's ands or buts. now they want to downgrade my mids (6x9's down to 5 1/4's) and still charge me the same price for the system. i say bullshit. this is the 2nd time i've had problems with visions, not sure if i'll ever get anything done there again (although alex, the car audio manager is a really good salesman) i just think its a crock.

so back to the question, how hard will it be to make a good custom box for my 2 8's? i already have a vision in my head of what i want it to look like, should i try and make my own? or go with another $1400 dollar stereo that i probably wont like :/

Weapon_R
03-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Are you asking where to make good sub boxes, or are you asking us whether you should buy a new stereo?

Drsuce
03-17-2004, 11:18 PM
a lil of both i guess :P just venting my frustration with those wankers ;/

Weapon_R
03-18-2004, 12:19 AM
There are a couple of guys on here that do really good installs, for much less. I've had the best experience with 12v, as he's been the best priced and most respected installer on beyond. He has done nearly everything associated with car audio - fire him a private message, you won't be disappointed. He'll do anything from boxes to complete stereos to car/alarm systems.

As for your stereo, i'm not sure if its fair to say that a 5 1/4 is a downgrade from a 6x9. Generally, speakers are differentially sized to accomodate the amount of room that a vehicle has. I have 6 1/2s in the rear, and they sound fantastic - I am not sure that a 6x9 is going to outperform them to a degree that would anger me at all.

As for the rest of your system, it's hard to make recommendations concerning improvements if you don't list the make and model of each component.

Drsuce
03-18-2004, 12:45 AM
heres the system. i think im going to return the sub and mids.... and the $360 box...

Kenwood KDC-X869 head unit

Kenwood KAC-7251 amp

Kicker 2x K40
Kicker 2xK69
Kicker 1xCVR-10

and the reason im mad, is that they are basicly trying to scam me out of $60+, not outragous but its just stupid.

the 2 subs i have now are 8" rockford fosgate punch he2's in truck boxes... they sound absolutly horrible. i was told that the amp cant send enough power to them. plus the boxes +my old headunit sucked :/

Weapon_R
03-18-2004, 01:34 AM
I think you have a fantastic subwoofer for a middle range setup - the CVR's sound really good. I'm not sure why you'd spend all that money on Kicker components, however, when you could have picked up some infinity's for less money and a better sound.

The headunit's fine, not crazy about the amp, but I also have a Kenwood amp so i'm not one to talk :)

I've been a firm believer that Rockford has not put out any decent stuff in years, and you have reaffirmed my belief. Their stereo equipment simply sucks. Swap out the He2's and put in the CVR, you should see a huge difference there. By the way - whoever told you that 800 watts wasn't enough for 2 8" he2's is a moron. The subs themselves are rated at 250rms/500max each...

Drsuce
03-18-2004, 12:29 PM
that amp is only putting out like 125 watts rms @ 4ohm though :P

i decided to just go with it, if i have probs i will take it all back :)

i went all kicker/kenwood.... visions dosent sell infiniti

Drsuce
03-18-2004, 12:30 PM
p.s. its kicker 5 1/4's in the doors now... not 6x9's