PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a bike from Edmonton to Calgary

shakalaka
06-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Hey guys,

So I want to bring my motorbike from Edmonton to Calgary and I am looking for some assistance/suggestions. Let's just say that neither me or the bike (300CC) are really highway capable. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself and I don't think anyone would considering it's a fairly small bike.

Just wondering if anyone with a truck big enough is going to be making a trip from Edmonton to Calgary and wouldn't mind bringing the bike down? I am happy to chat about compensation etc. I will be in Edmonton often including this weekend if someone is available as soon as that or we would arrange a weekend in July I guess.

My last option would be to rent a U-haul I guess as I can't think of anything else. If there are other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks a ton.

KO22
06-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Try uship.com

revelations
06-20-2016, 12:11 AM
what kind of bike?

one option is to ride the backroads, west of the qe2.

D'z Nutz
06-20-2016, 12:34 AM
Maaaaaan, you're just gonna sell it after you get here! :rofl:

shakalaka
06-20-2016, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by KO22
Try uship.com

Thanks I will check it out.

Originally posted by revelations
what kind of bike?

one option is to ride the backroads, west of the qe2.

It's a 2009 Johnny Pag Barhog. Like I said, it's a smaller bike at 300CC so not very fast and I am not sure if it's meant for long rides. Either way, I am not comfortable doing it and not sure if I'd feel ok about someone else doing that either just cause of potential liability issues etc.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Maaaaaan, you're just gonna sell it after you get here! :rofl:

Haha, I'd sell it there if I could but now that I am in Calgary, I figured I will ride it here until it sells. No point in it just sitting there in Edmonton.

revelations
06-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Yea a rigid frame bike with a hard plastic seat is not exactly a long-distance cruiser.

Otherwise, I would have offered to ride it back for you, through the back roads.

HiTempguy1
06-20-2016, 09:43 AM
I could probably do it, pictures and dimensions of the bike? I'm down to Calgary often, really depends if it would fit in the bed of my truck with the canopy on or not. :thumbsup:

shakalaka
06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Here is the info I found on it online;

Rake: 36 degrees
Wheelbase: 64 inches
Seat height: 24 inches
Curb weight (claimed): 360 lbs

There are some pics in my Kijiji link, I will just post that here;

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/edmonton/2009-johnny-pag-barhog/1161822580?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

R154
06-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Yeah I'd rent a car hauler and get a front wheel stand. Strap it down and flat deck it back.

I am 100% certain someone on here has a car hauler or a flat deck w/ straps.

shakalaka
06-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know how much renting one of those things cost? I am trying to compare it with quotes I got from that uship.ca website.

ercchry
06-20-2016, 11:01 AM
A utility trailer from uhaul is like $20, you don't need a wheel holder... Just a strap on each side of the bars and ratchet them evenly to the front corners of the trailer, compressing the suspension about halfway, it won't go anywhere

shakalaka
06-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Hmm I didn't realize they were that cheap. Definitely a lot cheaper than the $180 I got from uship. Of course more hassle where I have to rent and drive up and stuff. Timing would be an issue. I guess I need to think about this a bit.

hrdkore
06-21-2016, 09:06 AM
transported a few bikes, see if you can reserve one in edmonton and return it to calgary. Uhaul has motorcycle trailers for like $20-30 a day. That being said, you will need a vehicle with a hitch. Bring more than required ratchet straps.