PDA

View Full Version : Cut-out tool on plywood?

birdman86
06-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Are cut out tools any good on plywood? Is there a particular bit I'd need to buy for it?

I need to cut some pretty precise curves to build a new subfloor for my van, and jig saws don't like me so looking for other options. Not sure what kind of plywood I'll be using just yet, maybe OSB or maybe some fancy marine grade stuff.

FraserB
06-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Do you know anyone with a router? Might work as well.

Buster
06-20-2016, 09:59 AM
What's wrong with a jigsaw. Routers aren't good for that stuff, side cut bits are no fun.

It's pretty much the reason that jigsaws were invented.

englishbob
06-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Scroll saw would be the best option.

roopi
06-20-2016, 10:26 AM
If you have a good jigsaw and the proper blade it should be fine. I hated jigsaws until I realized the black and decker single speed with the wrong bit was the problem. Bought a $100 jigsaw (which still isn't that great) this weekend and the proper blades and it was a completely different experience.

birdman86
06-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by roopi
If you have a good jigsaw and the proper blade it should be fine. I hated jigsaws until I realized the black and decker single speed with the wrong bit was the problem. Bought a $100 jigsaw (which still isn't that great) this weekend and the proper blades and it was a completely different experience.

That's probably accurate enough... I've only ever just grabbed the 40 year old jig out of the farm shop and used that. Probably hasn't had a blade changed in 10 years haha

I'll give a new one a chance