PDA

View Full Version : Can you breath 100% through both nostrils?

holden
06-20-2016, 10:04 AM
One of my nostrils that is normally blocked 50-80%. I've always assumed it was due to a deviated septum. I have also heard that this is normal due to the "nasal cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle)".

I wanted to see what other people are experiencing?

JustinMCS
06-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Mostly they're blocked due to allergies. Have you tried a nasal spray like Drixoral or something? If you can breath clearly after that (and it works almost right away, it's amazing) you have blocked nostrils from allergies.

Boat
06-20-2016, 10:31 AM
I am the same way as OP. From the stuff I have read, its "normal"

95EG6P
06-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by holden
One of my nostrils that is normally blocked 50-80%. I've always assumed it was due to a deviated septum.

me too but when both nostrils are working it feels like angels singing

Kloubek
06-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

me too but when both nostrils are working it feels like angels singing

Haha!

I almost always have blockage to some degree. It is particularly obvious when I exhale my vape through my nose; almost always there is one nostril which shows the majority of the vapour.

I also feel that on a general whole, I don't taste foods as much as I should.... and I believe it is due to the effect you get when you hold your nose. That's kind of disappointing, since I really like food!

Interesting to see the poll results though - I guess this is extremely common.

JustinMCS
06-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Haha!

I almost always have blockage to some degree. It is particularly obvious when I exhale my vape through my nose; almost always there is one nostril which shows the majority of the vapour.

I also feel that on a general whole, I don't taste foods as much as I should.... and I believe it is due to the effect you get when you hold your nose. That's kind of disappointing, since I really like food!

Interesting to see the poll results though - I guess this is extremely common.

Are you an ex smoker or current smoker? Smokers dont taste food properly

Kloubek
06-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

Are you an ex smoker or current smoker? Smokers dont taste food properly

Yeah, I smoked lightly for some 15 years, and quit about a year ago. But I heard that taste returns pretty quickly after quitting, so I don't think that is it.

I honestly don't sense that it is my tastebuds not working... it's just a perpetually plugged nose, imo.

revelations
06-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Yep, deviated septum here .... thought about surgery but not sure if worth the effort/risk/recovery.

colinxx235
06-20-2016, 11:32 AM
^

Just so you know... Septum surgery fucking sucks. I was in the hospital for 10 hours during surgery (apparently mine was really bad). The pain was wayyyyyyy worse than tonsils/wisdom and they gave almost no pain meds. The first week in bed is brutal, then weeks 2-3 are still pretty bad. You try and use the sinus rinse "Gently" to wash away all the clotting but it still doesn't go well. Then the next few months you're constantly having clots sneeze out/rinse out everyday. And hell, its been almost 3 years and I still get some dryness/clotting issues. But around the 1 year mark was when I finally noticed an improvement of breathing. It is much much better than it used to be as I was always stuffed up. As well I do not get sick nearly as often as before. But it sure as shit isn't a quick fix surgery.

vengie
06-20-2016, 11:33 AM
After a major jaw surgery and deviated septum surgery (85%), I can happily say my nose is 100% clear.

max_boost
06-20-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm waiting for my allergy test referral. In the past year both my nostrils are blocked on and off and it's annoying as fuk. I didn't know what to make of it because it would come and go. I breathe normally now because of Otrivin. I have no idea what i would do without it.

ExtraSlow
06-20-2016, 11:53 AM
I know more about this than I would like. Have had two surgeries for deviated septum, plus one endoscopic sinus surgery for "Silent Sinus Syndrome" on one side. The side they didn't do is now my "bad" side, and it's at least partially blocked about 90% of the time. Wish they reamed out both sides while they were in there.

Having chronic allergies doesn't help at all. It's probably the main cause of most of my problems.

For those of you with sinus issues, have you gotten into rinsing? Even when I'm not having bad allergy or cold issues, I'm rinsing my nose at least twice per day. If I get a sinus cold, I'm rinsing like five times a day, and sometimes will get out of bed overnight to do it. Love the rinse. My allergist has me on a steroid addition to one rise a day. Pulmicort nebules, which are normally for inhalation, but I add them to my rinse water. Supposed to help with the inflammation that comes from chronic allergies.

Quizzes
06-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

For those of you with sinus issues, have you gotten into rinsing? Even when I'm not having bad allergy or cold issues, I'm rinsing my nose at least twice per day. If I get a sinus cold, I'm rinsing like five times a day, and sometimes will get out of bed overnight to do it. Love the rinse. My allergist has me on a steroid addition to one rise a day. Pulmicort nebules, which are normally for inhalation, but I add them to my rinse water. Supposed to help with the inflammation that comes from chronic allergies.

I hear ya with the pulmicort rinses. I do it twice a day, but doesn't seem to be helping with the smelling and tasting because it's always inflamed. Only thing that helped was taking prednisone steroid pills, but that messes with the bowel and not recommended for prolong use. I suffered from nasal polyps and had sinus surgery twice.

revelations
06-20-2016, 12:55 PM
I've had mixed results with nasal rinsing. Yes the stuff that comes out from the sinsues looks like dead brain matter..... but I end up feeling more sick after than before.

Now, I have a place thats humidified properly @ 40% (summer and winter) and I have far less issues to deal with.

colinxx235
06-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Prednisone is definitely not a good thing to be taking often. If only they knew that when I was a kid having all the ashtma attacks....

I try to do use the sinurinse every day and then I take nasonex 1-2 times a day everyday. And a reactine pill everyday, because allergies are a bitch